Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Happy Christmas Harry by Pottrgrl

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 5 “ Lily’s Birthday


“MUMMY! DADDY! WAKE UP!”

Harry groaned as he rolled over and reached out for his wife only to be met with emptiness. “MUMMY! MUMMY! DADDY! THE POST IS HERE!” Harry sat up in bed and rubbed his eyes wondering what all the yelling was about and where Ginny had gotten to, he’d been dreaming about making love to her and wanted the dream to come to fruition.

“DADDY! MUMMY! GET UP THE POST IS HERE!” Wondering why Lily was shouting about the bleeding post Harry shook the last vestiges of sleep off and remembered that today was not only his birthday but Lily’s eleventh birthday. “Ahh” Harry thought. “Her Hogwarts letter would be the reason for the yelling which means she’ll charge in here in a moment or two.” Harry reached over to the nightstand, picked up his glasses and put them on as he listened to his daughter nosily ascended the stairs at a run. Lily burst into the bedroom and skidded to a halt in front of Harry just as Ginny walked out of their private loo.

At eleven years old Lily Evans Potter had grown to be a very pretty girl. From her mother she’d gotten her long loosely curled ginger hair, freckles, the trademark Weasley temper and wicked streak and her love of learning. From Harry she’d gotten the shape and color of her eyes, knobby knees, unruly hair, her penchant for getting into trouble and a of flying and Quidditch.

“Mummy, Daddy the post is here” she said trying to catch her breath. Ginny was the first to speak “Lily Evans Potter, how many times have I told you that you are to knock before entering a room, particularly before entering this room?” “Sorry Mum I forgot.” “We can see that” Ginny replied as she joined Harry on the bed and winked at him.

Harry looked at his daughter, suppressed the smile that tugged on his lips and motioned for her to sit on the bed with them while asking.

“Elly love, what is all the yelling about?”

“Daddy, the post is here.”

Ginny and Harry had expected some form of racket from Lily over the significance of this day so last night before bed they’d decided to needle her a bit.

While trying very hard to keep herself from laughing out loud Ginny responded for Harry, “and what is so special about today’s post that you felt it necessary to wake your father and I up by yelling and stomping up the stairs?. Oh and have you forgotten to say something to your father?”

“Well Mummy, first you were already awake so I only woke Daddy and yes I’m sorry daddy, happy birthday.” Lily leaned over and gave Harry a kiss on the cheek and and hugged him.

“Thanks Lily and happy birthday to you too love.” Harry turned and looked at his wife with his biggest smile and a wink. Ginny then gave her daughter a hug and a kiss and wished both a happy birthday.

Not to be so easily deterred Lily continued; “Mum, Dad, the post is here.” Ginny replied “and was there something in the post that you wanted us to see?”

Lily’s eyes flashed as she jumped off the bed and turned to her parents, both of whom were ready for what was about to happen. Lily wasn’t a Weasley for nothing.

He glared at her parents, “I know you know what’s in today’s post WHY are you acting like nothing special is happening today?” I got my Hogwarts letter and you know it!

At that Harry and Ginny lost their composer and started giggling which lead to out right laughter.

Lily placed her hands on her hips, stomped her right foot and let out an exasperated “OOOOOH!” as she realized that her parents had been having fun with her.

“You two are absolute nutters! Why are you laughing at me?”

Ginny took Lily’s hand and pulled her back onto the bed. “Clam down sweet, we were just having a bit of a go at you. That’s all, we’re done now. So let’s see the letter then?”

Lilly settled in between her parents and all three leaned back against the headboard. In her excitement she’d not yet open the long awaited letter. As she unfolded the yellow parchment addressed to her in the familiar green ink Lily squealed in her excitement and started reading aloud.

Dear Miss Potter,

We are please to inform you that you…


As Lily read her letter Harry thought about how quickly time had passed since the birth of their only child. He thought about the hours he spent in fear and anguish while Ginny was in labor, he thought about the sudden and intense waves of love and joy that had washed over him as he held his new daughter and exhausted wife, he thought about the additional pain at having lost Lily’s twin, he thought about Lily’s naming ceremony, her first attempts at walking, talking and flying.

one cauldron…

As Harry listened to Lily read the list of items she would need through out the coming year he came to the full realization that their baby girl, his little girl was now old enough to go to Hogwarts and have lots of adventures in breaking school rules; she is after all a direct descendant of a Marauder, as long as the rule breaking did not involve boys to whom she was not related. Harry inwardly groaned at the thought of boys looking at Lily in the same way he’d looked at Ginny once he’d finally noticed her, he knew she’d have the time of her life at Hogwarts.

Lily finished reading and asked her mother to describe the sorting ceremony. Harry smiled at his wife and daughter and all he could do was be thankful for the way his life had turned out and acknowledge that he was so truly happy he knew that if at that moment he were to look upon himself in the Mirror of Erised only his reflection would look back.

-Fin-