Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Never Alone by ckwright51

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: I don’t own any of this. JKR is the sole owner of the Potter Universe.
++++++


Harry and Ron stalked into the kitchen early the morning of September first. It was time to go back to Hogwarts. The Ministry had provided them with transportation and protection for this trip to King’s Cross Station, and they were scheduled to leave at ten.


“Anyone we know die?” Ron asked sarcastically. In the week following the attack in Diagon Alley, he had taken to asking the question every day. He picked up a piece of toast, stifled a yawn and began eating.


Hermione looked up from her copy of the Daily Prophet and glared at him. “Ron, this is not something to joke about,” she hissed. “There was another attack last night. Five Muggles were killed in Blackpool. That makes six attacks in the last week. Moody was right”Voldemort is increasing his attacks.” She returned to her paper.


The group sat in silence for several more minutes, until Hermione shouted and slammed the paper down on the table. Her hand came down beside Ron’s cup of pumpkin juice with such force that the cup was launched into the air, spilling all over Ron’s plate.


“What the”Hermione, what is the matter with you?” Ron shouted, jumping up from the table.


“Oh, sorry, Ron,” Hermione said apologetically. She quickly removed her wand and began drawing the spilled juice into it.


Harry grabbed the paper and began scanning the articles, looking for one that would have caused Hermione to become angry. He found it on page two.


The Chosen One
What Is the Connection Between He Who Must Not Be Named and the Boy Who Lived?
Special Editorial by
Dolores Umbridge
Senior Undersecretary to the Minister of Magic



Over the years, I have had many opportunities to witness the remarkable abilities of one Harry James Potter. He was by far the most accomplished Defense Against the Dark Arts student I had the privilege of teaching during my time as a professor at Hogwarts. In fact, the very idea that he was so accomplished in the Dark Arts has led some in the Ministry to speculate as to the source of his knowledge.


Is it not interesting that on the same day one of our most trusted Ministry employees is kidnapped, Harry Potter was at the Ministry? Harry Potter was even, perhaps, the last one to see poor Percy Weasley before his disappearance. We at the Ministry also find it disturbing that during the unfortunate attack on Diagon Alley several days ago, Mr. Potter was once again on the scene.


This information, combined with the fact that Mr. Potter has on countless occasions been connected with He Who Must Not Be Named and his activities in the past, leads some of us to question: Is Harry Potter “the Chosen One””as some have claimed”who will defeat the Dark Lord, or is he secretly in league with him?




Harry slammed the paper down on the table, spilling Ron’s juice again.


“That”idiot!” Harry exploded. “What does she think I was doing all those times? We were fighting Voldemort, not helping him.”


“She’s trying to turn public opinion against you, Harry. She knows that you have refused to help Minister Scrimgeour so she is trying to use that fact against you”to force you to make a public declaration of support for what the Ministry is doing,” Hermione explained. “I bet she thinks that either way it’s a plus for her. If you openly show your support for the Minister then she was the one to get you to do it. She looks good. If you don’t, then she can forge more support against you and when Scrimgeour goes, she can use this to help herself take power.”


“But the Ministry is giving us cars to get to the train station today. How does Umbridge explain that?” Ron inquired, after looking at the article.


“She doesn’t have to. Nobody knows about it,” Ginny stated. “Since it’s not a known fact, she doesn’t have to acknowledge it.”


“Is there anything we can do?” Ron asked.


“Not much to do. The Ministry is what it is. We can’t do anything about it. They aren’t going to defeat Voldemort anyway,” Harry declared. “That, I guess, is my job.” He gave a heavy sigh and walked out of the room.
+++++


At a quarter past ten, the group still had not left. The usual chaos of leaving for King’s Cross ensued.


“Hermione, have you seen my broom?” Ginny shouted from the hall.


“No, try Ron’s closet,” Hermione answered her.


“What would it be”oh never mind, I found it.”


“Crookshanks, get away from Hedwig,” Harry bellowed from his room. “Hermione, please come and take your cat somewhere.”


“Ronald Weasley, if you are not down here in one minute we are leaving without you!” Mrs. Weasley yelled.


“On my way, Mum! Harry, do you have my Transfiguration book?”


“I think it was on Hermione’s bed, Ron,” Ginny shouted. “What was it doing there do you suppose?” she questioned, drawing a withering glare from Ron while his ears turned a nice shade of pink.


Harry sniggered as he dragged his trunk down the stairs.


Finally, at half past ten, the group piled into the Ministry cars and they were on their way. It took them only twenty minutes to arrive at King’s Cross. Everyone got out and unloaded their trunks and other items. Just as the last of the trunks was removed, the boot was closed and the cars pulled into traffic; they were out of sight before the group made it into the station.


The teens arrived on platform nine and three-quarters and were greeted by Remus, Tonks, Bill, Fleur, and Charlie. Harry hadn’t seen Charlie in some time so he was surprised that he was there.


Hugs and handshakes were exchanged as quickly as possible before Harry, Ron, Ginny and Hermione, along with the five adults, were herded onto the train. Mrs. Weasley was out of breath with the effort, but was still able to crush each of the young people in turn with a bone-crunching hug. She had a small tear in her eye when she hugged Harry.


“Take care of yourself and don’t get into too much trouble,” she sniffled.


“I’ll do my best,” Harry smiled back at her.


The train pulled out of the station. Harry watched as Ron, Hermione, and Ginny all made for the Prefects’ car. He saw Ginny smile broadly at a group of Gryffindors from her year as she passed them. She seems happy enough. That’s good. He looked back at his trunk and Hedwig’s cage and frowned. Well, alone on the train again, he thought.


He grabbed his trunk, and Charlie took Hedwig’s cage. “I’ll get this, Harry. Remus and the others have to go up to the front of the train for the meeting. They are security for the train and will be helping with security for Hogwarts this year. I have to go as well, but I didn’t want to leave you here with all this by yourself.”


“Thanks, Charlie,” Harry said with little enthusiasm. “So what are you doing here? I didn’t think you would ever leave your dragons.”


“It seems Professor”no, make that Headmistress”McGonagall wanted someone to help with the groundskeeper duties,” Charlie declared with a wink. “I was looking for a reason to come back to help with the war, so I jumped at the chance.”


Harry knew that it was the war that brought Charlie home and nothing more. Hagrid didn’t need any help tending the animals of Hogwarts. “So you are going to be Hagrid’s assistant then?”


“Yep, you can call me Assistant Professor Weasley. Anyway Professor Grubbly-Plank is getting up there in years, so if Hagrid needs any time off I will be subbing for him.”


They continued to walk down the train and talk. Finally, towards the back, they saw Neville sitting in a compartment by himself.


“Hey, Neville, mind if I join you?” Harry said, already knowing the answer.


“Sure, hey, where’s Luna? I haven’t seen her yet this morning,” Neville inquired.


“Don’t know, maybe she’s with the rest of the Ravenclaws,” Harry replied, giving Neville a knowing look.


“What? It’s not like that,” Neville declared, blushing. “I just haven’t seen her yet today, and she usually rides with us.


“I have to get to the meeting, Harry, I’ll see you later.” Charlie exited the compartment.


“See you, Charlie,” Harry shouted at the closing door. “So, Neville, up for a game of Exploding Snap?” Harry smiled. He was feeling a bit better knowing that they were on the Hogwarts Express heading back to school.
++++++


Two hours later, Harry and Neville still had not seen Luna, Ron, Ginny or Hermione. They were beginning to get concerned when finally Ron exploded into the compartment.


“What a stupid, longwinded, pompous, know-it-all git,” Ron boomed, slamming himself into the seat beside Harry. “Oh, hi, Neville,” Ron said, noticing Neville for the first time.


“Afternoon, Ron,” Neville replied tentatively.


Hermione stepped into the compartment, followed by Luna, who had a shiny blue P on her shirt.


“Luna, you made Prefect!” Neville exclaimed, standing up and shaking her hand. “Congratulations.”


“Thanks, Neville, the girl who was supposed to be Prefect didn’t come back this year, so I was the second choice,” Luna explained.


Neville didn’t know how to respond to this, so after looking awkward for a few seconds, he simply sat down. Luna took up her normal spot by the window and began reading the latest edition of the Quibbler.

“Hi, Hermione, you got Head Girl, that’s really good. I knew it would be you,” Neville smiled.


Hermione blushed slightly. “Thanks, Neville. I was really excited about getting it. I think it is going to be a real challenge.”


“Yeah, with that prat as Head Boy,” Ron interjected. “I can’t believe he kept us there for two hours. The lunch cart is gone and I’m starving.”


“Ron, it wasn’t that bad.” Hermione attempted to placate him. “Yes, he was a bit long“winded, but things are going to be more dangerous this year and we have to set a good example and be prepared.”


“I know all that, but that’s not what he was talking about. He was going on and on about how great an honor it is to be a Prefect and Head Boy. It was like he had been elected Minister of Magic and this was his acceptance speech.”


“Well, he was a bit full of himself, but a lot of what he said was important,” Hermione argued.


“Yeah, and you could have said it in half the time if not less. He didn’t even let you talk.” Ron glared out the door of the compartment, as if daring someone to walk in.


“So who are we talking about then?” Harry finally asked. “Who is the new Head Boy?”


“Ernie Macmillan,” Hermione stated.


“Oh, Ernie’s all right. He is a bit pompous, but he isn’t that bad, Ron,” Harry responded.


“Harry, you weren’t there!” Ron exclaimed.


“Well be that as it may, Ron, he is Head Boy and you will have to follow his lead,” Hermione declared.


“I don’t have to like it though.”


“Hey, where's Ginny?” Harry asked in a would“be nonchalant voice.


“She’s with Ernie,” Luna said, not taking her eyes off her magazine. “Did you know that people are writing about you, Harry? Muggles are using computers to write stories about your life. My dad told me about it, and the article is in this issue.” Luna reached out to hand Harry the magazine.


Harry didn’t move to accept it”he hadn’t even heard the second statement Luna made. What is she doing with that git Macmillan? he thought. “Oh really, I wonder what they are up to,” he said, trying to sound casual.


“They are on patrol. Ernie set up the schedule. Ron and I have to go in about an hour,” Hermione informed Harry.


Luna realized that Harry was not going to be reading the article and shrugged. She leaned back and began reading again.


The rest of the train ride was quiet. Harry sat quietly in the corner, watching his friends. He had a vague feeling that something was missing. Ginny returned and began chatting merrily with the compartment’s occupants. Harry was in no mood to talk at that moment, so he closed his eyes and began practicing his Occlumency meditations. He vaguely heard Hermione and Ron come back from patrol. Finally he simply fell asleep.
++++++


The skyline was growing dark and Harry had just heard Hermione whisper something about waking him when his scar exploded in pain. He immediately put his walls up and reached for his head. He fell forward onto the floor of the compartment and retched.


“Harry,” someone screamed, although he could not tell who. He felt a soft hand on his shoulder and began to relax. The walls in his mind were holding, and the pain slowly subsided. Ron stepped over to him and grasped him under the arm to help him up as Hermione and Luna both quickly cleaned up the pool of sick from the compartment floor.


“Harry, are you all right?” Ron asked, his voice full of concern.


“Yeah, we need to get to the front of the train, something is going to happen in Hogsmeade,” he declared, shaking his head to clear the remaining cobwebs. “We need to tell Remus and the others.”


“They’re not on the train anymore, Harry,” Ginny said quietly. “They Apparated off a couple of hours ago”something about trouble at the Ministry.”


“Then we need to get Macmillan and get everybody ready. When we reach Hogsmeade, they are going to be waiting for us,” Harry remarked, getting to his feet.


Hermione looked like she was about to ask how he knew, but the look he fired at her was enough to quash her question. “I’ll go get Ernie,” she said and ran out of the compartment.


Several minutes later, she returned with Ernie Macmillan in tow. “Hello, Harry. How are you this evening?” Ernie asked, a shining HB on the chest of his school robes.


“Ernie, we have to figure out a way to get off the train before we get to Hogsmeade,” Harry stated, standing toe to toe with the Hufflepuff. “Death Eaters and Dementors are going to attack the students at the station.”


“Don’t be ridiculous, Harry,” Ernie replied. “There are Aurors there, along with Hagrid, and probably more security than we have seen in years. I don’t think even You-Know-Who would try and attack there.” Ernie started to turn as if to leave. Ron grabbed him and turned him around.


“Look, if Harry says something is up then we had better deal with it,” Ron said angrily.


“Ten points from Gryffindor,” Ernie declared. “Ron, please don’t grab me like that again. As for Harry’s intuition, I’m afraid that we just don’t have enough information to warrant something like stopping the train before we get to the station. Do you know what sort of trouble we would be in? Hermione and I would both lose our positions.” Ernie puffed out his chest as if to say that should cover the subject. He once again turned to go. His eyes met Hermione’s.


“Ernie, I think we should listen to Harry on this one. This would be a perfect way for Voldemort to show he is in control and that Hogwarts isn’t safe.” Hermione’s voice was calm but showed her determination.


Ernie blanched at the use of Voldemort’s name, but quickly pulled himself together. “I don’t think this is a good idea.”


Harry was just about to lose his battle with his anger. “Fine, Macmillan, you can explain to the parents of all these kids why their children are dead.” This seemed to sway Ernie a bit.


“All right, Harry; you had better be right. What do we do?” he asked.


“I hope I’m dead wrong, but I know that I’m not. Not this time,” Harry replied. “Luna, you and Ginny find all the DA members you can. We are going to need all the help we can get. How long before we reach Hogsmeade?”


“About an hour, I’d say,” Hermione answered.


“How do you always know that?” Ron asked, shaking his head.


“Okay, we need to stop the train in forty minutes. That will put us on the south end of Hogsmeade, a few miles from town. We need to get a message to McGonagall and let her know what’s happening. She needs to have the carriages or something there to get the students to Hogwarts as quickly as possible.”


“I can do that,” Hermione declared. “Tonks showed me how to use a Patronus to send messages.”


“Good, we can’t stop the train for too long or the Death Eaters may figure out that we know something is happening. Once the train stops, Hermione, you, Ginny, and Luna go with the younger students and make sure they get to Hogwarts safely.” Ginny and Hermione both glared at Harry and began to protest. Harry cut them off with a wave of his hand. “I am not trying to protect you. I need people I can trust to take care of the younger kids. The rest of the DA will ride the train into town and give you some cover. Once we know you all are safe, we can get back to Hogwarts.”


“Harry, why do any of us need to go into Hogsmeade?” Neville asked.


“Because,” Ron explained, “if the train shows up empty then the Death Eaters will simply Apparate to the road leading to Hogwarts and cut us off. We need some people at the station to keep them occupied.” Harry nodded in agreement with Ron.


“Ernie, you and Hermione, after she sends the message, go and round up all the younger students and anyone who doesn’t feel like they can fight. If they can’t form a Patronus, they need to go. That will eliminate most everyone except DA members. Tell them to leave their things on the train and get to Hogwarts as quickly as possible.”


“Everyone ready?” Harry asked. There were some nods of agreement. “Good, go.”


Hermione, Ginny, Ernie and Luna all left the compartment. Ron, Harry and Neville sat nervously waiting for the battle that was ahead of them.


Forty minutes later the train slowed to a stop. The younger students, and all those who didn’t wish to fight, left the train, along with Hermione, Ginny and Luna. Hermione gave Ron a quick kiss before she headed off to start moving the children up the road towards Hogwarts. The carriages weren’t there.


“Maybe they didn’t get the message,” Ron wondered.


“Doesn’t matter now, we need to get the train moving. If the carriages aren’t here then the Death Eaters will have more time to cut them off,” Harry declared. He waved at Ernie to tell the conductor to get the train going.


The train pulled out and Harry saw Ginny waving at them as it pulled away. He was struck by the memory of a small girl chasing after the train as it left King’s Cross so long ago. “The more things change”” Harry said under his breath.
+++++


The train, with about thirty DA members who were ready to fight, pulled into Hogsmeade station and stopped. “Remember, we are not here to win some battle; we are here to distract the Death Eaters from the others. Get off the train and find cover. Fire your Patronus as soon as you can because Dementors will probably be the first wave. They usually are,” Ron explained to the group of frightened teens.


The train stopped and the small group charged off, into the station. Harry could feel the unnatural cold of the Dementors all around him. The screams of his mother began to reverberate inside his head. He hesitated in bringing up his mental walls, however, waiting until he knew they were close.

He darted behind a bench and watched as other DA members took whatever cover they could find. Finally, after about two minutes, the screaming became so loud that Harry had no choice but to raise his walls. “They’re coming!” he shouted.


They came from both the left and the right”Dementors searching for all the students they could find. They were met, however, not by terrified first years but by several Patronuses, Harry’s stag leading the charge on the left and Ron’s little terrier on the right. Harry watched as a silvery frog, an eagle, and a dozen more animal shapes went hurtling down the tracks at the oncoming Dementors. Some of the Patronuses were stronger than others, but most were effective in stopping at least one or two Dementors.


Harry quickly glanced to the right and saw Ron’s dog grouped with other Patronuses, charging down several more Dementors. His attention was drawn back to the platform, however, by a series of popping sounds. The Death Eaters had arrived.


“Petrificus Totalus!” yelled a Death Eater, pointing his wand at Harry. Harry easily blocked the spell as Ron yelled, “Stupefy!” The Stunner hit the Death Eater in the arm, and he collapsed.


“Serpensortia!” yelled another Death Eater. Black smoke shot from the end of his wand, becoming a snake which landed on top of a barrel a couple of meters from Harry’s position, behind which Dennis Creevey was hiding. Dennis stumbled out from the protection of the barrel and was hit by a stream of grey light. He crumbled to the ground and didn’t move.


“Go get the man in the black robesss and hood!” Harry bellowed in Parseltongue. The snake immediately turned away from the prone Dennis and started to slither at the Death Eater who had conjured it. The Death Eater was struck before he knew that the snake was close.


“Nice trick,” Ron commented before firing a Stinging Hex at a hooded figure beside the train engine.


“Thanks,” Harry replied.


Spell battles were taking place all along the station platform. Harry could see that some of the Death Eaters were lying unconscious, but some of the DA were also not moving.


“Reducto!” someone shouted, and the bench that had been Harry and Ron’s cover exploded. They were both thrown backwards as bits of wood and concrete pelted them.


“Ha!” came a shout from a hooded figure about ten feet in front of them. “The great Harry Potter, look at you now. Crucio.


“Protego!” Harry shouted, blocking the spell. “Diffindo!”


Harry’s spell hit the Death Eater in the arm. He gasped in pain as a slice opened from his shoulder down to his elbow. He fell backwards and his mask slipped down from his face.


“Malfoy!” Harry spat. “I knew I was missing something on this trip. I didn’t get to see your ferret face once. Well at least we have done that now.”


“You can’t win, Potter. You have no idea how powerful the Dark Lord truly is,” Malfoy proclaimed. “Flagrantia.”


Fire came out of the end of Malfoy’s wand. Harry dove to the side as the flame hit the wall behind him, igniting it.


Harry fired a Stinging Hex, but Malfoy was able to block it.


“Is that all you have, Potter?” Malfoy sneered. He leveled his wand again but never fired the spell. From the side, Ron, who had just dispatched a Death Eater of his own, swung his right fist, letting out a mighty roar. His fist connected with Malfoy’s jaw. Malfoy’s head jerked to the side as his jaw snapped, and he tumbled off the platform.


“That was for calling Hermione names for all those years, you stupid ferret-faced, piece of””


“Ron, look out!” Harry yelled before firing a Stunner at a Death Eater who was taking aim at his friend. The spell found its mark and the Death Eater fell back unconscious.


“Thanks, guess I got a little carried away,” Ron said, coming over to Harry quickly. There was a lull in the fighting in their area of the station platform. Harry looked around and saw that Aurors and some Order Members had joined the fight. He also noticed that Dennis Creevey still had not moved.


Remus came running up to Harry and Ron. “You two all right?” he shouted over the screams of spells being cast.


“Just cuts and bruises,” Harry replied.


“My hand really hurts,” Ron grinned as he shook his hand.


With the arrival of reinforcements, the Death Eaters found themselves outnumbered and decided it was time to go. The popping started as they began to flee. Harry glanced around the platform and focused on a Death Eater that was fighting with Ernie Macmillan. Harry fired a Stunner as the new Head Boy was launched head over heels off the platform. The Stunner hit the Death Eater in the side of the head and he fell.


Harry and Ron raced over to check on Ernie, who was picking himself up off the ground, gingerly rubbing the back of his head. “You all right?” Ron asked with little feeling.


“Yes, thank you,” Ernie replied.


Harry gazed around and saw that the fighting was over. Neville was limping towards them, looking like he had been through a good fight, but upright and alive. Harry changed his mental focus from Ron and Neville to Ginny, Hermione and Luna.


He could feel a sense of apprehension in Ginny and Hermione, but he could not sense Luna at all. Harry’s heart sank. “We need to go, Luna’s hurt,” he declared.


Without another word, Harry, Ron and Neville Apparated to the Hogwarts gates.
+++++++


Several hours later, Harry and Neville sat in the hospital wing. Ron, Ginny and Hermione had to make sure the students got settled into their common rooms properly. Harry wasn’t even sure if they’d had the Sorting Ceremony and he thought the feast was probably cancelled as well. He vaguely wondered how they would know where to put the first years without doing the ceremony.


The battle had taken its toll. Hannah Abbott was taken to St. Mungo’s with severe burns on her chest and arms. Seamus Finnegan had a broken arm and three broken ribs. Padma Patil was in the hospital wing with several cuts to her upper legs and Terry Boot had been hit with the Cruciatus Curse. Neville had seen him get hit and was able to Stun the Death Eater”Alecto, who was one of the Death Eaters on the Astronomy Tower the night Dumbledore was killed”before she could do much damage with it. Hermione had a cut on her forehead, and Ginny had a sprained ankle and a world of bruises to contend with.


The worst news was that Dennis Creevey was dead. Harry didn’t know what spell had been used but it was enough to cause death although it wasn’t the Killing Curse.


Hermione walked into the hospital wing. She had a light pink scar across her forehead where Madam Pomfrey had healed a cut earlier. The nurse had assured her that the scar would be gone by the next morning. She looked as if she still had a headache. “How is she?” She pointed at Luna who was lying in the hospital bed.


“Madam Pomfrey said she will be all right. She has a concussion, but she doesn’t have any permanent damage,” Harry replied. “What about things downstairs?”


“The first years are all sorted and taken care of. Colin is in McGonagall’s office. His parents will be here tomorrow to pick up Dennis’s body and take them home.” Hermione had a tear running down her cheek. “Dennis was the only one from the school who was killed. I guess that is something.”


“Yeah, something,” Harry bit out, anger and sadness building over losing a schoolmate. “What happened to you all?” Harry asked.


“Well, Hagrid arrived with the carriages about five minutes after the train left. We just made it to within sight of the gate when about five Death Eaters Apparated behind us. Ginny, Luna, Hagrid and I jumped off the carriages to try and buy time for the others to make it into the gate. Hagrid did most of the actual fighting. I got caught by a Slashing Hex, but the distance was too great for it to really do any damage. A Blasting Charm hit directly in front of Ginny and Luna and sent them flying. That’s how Ginny got hurt, and Luna hit her head on a root or stone when she landed,” Hermione said. It was obvious to Harry that the events of the day had exhausted her.


“Okay, everyone out, it’s time for all those who are not injured to leave,” Madam Pomfrey announced as Ron entered the room. They all got up to leave.


“Are the boys all right in their dorms?” Hermione asked Ron.


“Yeah, they were pretty scared, but they calmed down after a while,” Ron said, flexing his right hand. He didn’t ask Madam Pomfrey to check it, since he knew that there were others who needed her help more.


“How’s your hand?” Hermione asked with a small smile. Harry had told her earlier how Ron hurt his hand and what he had said to Malfoy.


“It’s all right,” he commented. “I just wish the little ferret wouldn’t have escaped. I should have punched him harder.” He put his arm around her shoulders and gave a squeeze.


“So, where is Ginny this time?” Neville asked. Harry looked at him with a slight grin.


Ron rolled his eyes and Hermione sighed. “She is on patrol with Ernie again,” Hermione said.


“Stupid git should let her rest. She got beat up worse than Parkinson did. Why didn’t he ask her to patrol?” Ron said indignantly.


Great, she is patrolling with Macmillan again, Harry thought. Welcome home.


The group made their way to Gryffindor Tower and settled into bed. Classes were to start the next day.
+++++++


A/N So we have made it back to school. I hope you enjoyed the train ride and the return of young Mr. Malfoy. Let me know what you thought, good or bad, it’s always helpful to receive your feed back.


Once again I must think my Pre Betas Cableguysmom and Kerrbear. Both of whom have been wonderfully help with story ideas. Major thanks as well to JenC who makes the story all nice and pretty for you all.

Coming next, dreams; very bad dreams.