Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Never Alone by ckwright51

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
I don't own anything in the Harry Potter Universe.
++++++


November gave way to December, and the weather seemed to grow colder. The first of December was the first major snowfall of the year. It began in the early morning hours and by the time the school was awake, a thick blanket of puffy white powder was covering the grounds of Hogwarts. It was a beautiful, majestic sight when the dawn broke that morning, revealing the carpet of pure white. There were no footprints marring the pristine snow, and Harry thought it looked like an image from an oil painting.


Classes that morning seemed terribly long, since all the students yearned to get out into the fresh snow and release some pent-up energy. As the bell for break sounded, one could almost feel the excitement.…A snowball fight was about to break loose.


The first and second years were out the front door, seemingly, before the bell stopped ringing. Before long there were multiple battles being waged in all directions. A group of fourth-year boys had begun a fight with some third-year girls. The boys had miscalculated, however; they were sorely outnumbered, and quickly found themselves being attacked on three sides by angry young ladies.


From their favorite spot just outside the castle, Harry, Ron, and Hermione watched the battles rage. They had wandered out after their final class to see the festivities, all deciding they were far too old to take part in such pursuits. They didn’t notice Luna until she started speaking.


“Did you know that fifteen percent of all witches have to go blind two days a week from the time they are forty to the time they turn fifty-seven?” Luna questioned as she walked behind Harry, Ron and Hermione.


“What?” Hermione inquired. “Luna, what are you on about?” She rolled her eyes upon seeing the probable source for Luna’s question.


“It says so right here,” Luna stated, holding the newest edition of the Quibbler. She handed the magazine to Hermione, who quickly scanned the contents, rolled her eyes again, and handed it back to Luna.


“So nothing in there about some rampaging bear roaming the streets of London, is there?” Harry asked, remembering the rumors he had heard a few weeks before.


“No, nothing like that,” Luna responded. “Harry, you really should check your facts and make sure of your sources. It does no one any good to just run about spouting senseless rumors.” Luna turned to go. “Afternoon all, see you later.”


“That girl is truly the strangest person I have ever met,” Ron declared. “She’s nice enough, but she is off-the-wall strange.”


Hermione remained strangely quiet as they went back inside and started down the hall. They made their way up towards Gryffindor Tower and approached the portrait hole, but before they could give the password, Headmistress McGonagall walked briskly up to them. She had an unhappy expression on her face and her lips were pressed tightly together. “Mr. Potter, would you come to my office after your final class today, please.”


“Of course, Professor,” replied Harry.


“Thank you. Good afternoon, Miss Granger and Mr. Weasley.” They both nodded.
She then turned and started walking towards her office.


Harry was not surprised by her briskness, but looked grim all the same as they went through their afternoon classes. No one talked about the upcoming meeting, but it was obviously on everyone’s minds.


Finally, after a particularly difficult Potions class, it was time for Harry to go see McGonagall. “See you after dinner, I guess. Tell Ginny I’ll see her at training tonight.”


Harry quickly made his way to the stone gargoyle that blocked the entrance to McGonagall’s office. “Bumblebee,” Harry said quietly. McGonagall had been using that as the password for her office all year”a fact known only to the faculty, and Harry. He hadn’t been there since the night that Dumbledore died, and his stomach gave a lurch when he stepped onto the moving staircase.


Harry reached the top of the staircase and was greeted by what sounded like frantic orchestra music. He had heard his Aunt Petunia listening to chamber music and orchestras on the wireless when he was younger, but he had never heard anything that sounded this clear. It was as if there was an orchestra in the next room. He stood listening for several seconds, trying to recognize the tune. It was fast paced and didn’t seem to match the reserved demeanor of his headmistress. Finally, unable to figure out the music, he knocked on the door. The music abruptly stopped and the door swung open.


He entered the office and looked around. The walls were still covered by portraits of former Hogwarts headmasters. On the end, closest to McGonagall’s desk, was the now wide awake form of Professor Dumbledore. He smiled warmly at Harry but did not speak. Harry quickly looked away, feeling the telltale stinging in his eyes. He had not been ready to see that portrait, nor the man in it smiling at him. He walked to the other side of the office and continued to look around.


Many of the little instruments that Harry remembered from his past moments in this office were gone. It seemed an entire new set of bookshelves had been added, loaded down with books on all sorts of subjects, some written in different languages. Harry noticed the Sorting Hat, still sitting in its normal place along with the Gryffindor’s sword. He noticed the perch that Fawkes used to call home in the corner behind the desk, and vaguely wondered why McGonagall had not gotten rid of it.


Harry swallowed hard, his emotions starting to get the better of him. His eyes stung and he kept choking slightly as he breathed in. In an attempt to keep his emotions in check, he closed his mind and raised his mental walls. He reached out to Ginny, and felt her soothing presence is his mind. He began to relax, and the lump that had formed in his throat became less severe.


“Mr. Potter, I suppose you know why I have asked you here?” McGonagall remarked, motioning for him to take a seat in one of the squishy armchairs in front of the desk. “I was wondering if you would mind telling me where your information about the recent attacks came from?” She was still frowning.


“Professor, you know I can’t tell you that…at least not yet. It may jeopardize the source,” Harry responded, his frustration already beginning to mount.


The Tuesday after he’d received the note from Percy, the Muggle Prime Minister had been attacked, but thanks to the warning, Kingsley Shacklebolt had been prepared and the attack had failed. On two other occasions, Percy had sent Harry notes warning of attacks, one on the Ministry of Magic and another on St. Mungo’s; both attacks had been thwarted because of the information.


“Mr. Potter, I don’t see how telling me will jeopardize anything,” McGonagall exclaimed.


“It’s not that, Professor. The informant has asked repeatedly that no one know who he is. If you were to be captured, Voldemort could get it out of you,” Harry explained.


“I realize that, Mr. Potter, but if we know who it is, we may be able to help”to provide him some cover or something.”


Harry let out a long breath; he had already had this conversation with her before, after each failed attack. This was not like Scrimgeour pestering him for information that Dumbledore had given him. This was a woman, a leader, who wanted as much information as possible, for the well-being of all she cared about. It pained him to have to hold out on her, but he truly thought it was for her own good, and Percy’s. He had almost decided to trust Percy, and he certainly didn’t want to do anything that would put him at greater risk than he already was.


“Well, in that case, I guess we are finished here, Mr. Potter. Please tell me when you can, and if you receive any more information, let me know. I just want to help you,” McGonagall said kindly.


“I know, Professor, and as soon as it’s safe for you to know then I will tell you.” Harry offered a little smile and walked out of the office.
++++++


By eleven thirty that evening, Harry was the only one in the common room. He and Ginny had endured two hours of training right after dinner”two hours in which they had defeated Remus, Tonks, Charlie, and Bill on several occasions. The duels were exhausting affairs, however, so Ginny had turned in much earlier. Since Ron and Hermione had not had training, they’d been able to finish their homework, do a patrol, and even take an evening walk. They had gone to their respective dorms shortly before eleven.


Harry’s eyes were getting very heavy and his mind was beginning to wander, so he started to pack it in for the night. He could always finish his essay tomorrow. He was still managing to stay ahead of his work so he did not feel the same pressure as others in their N.E.W.T. year.


He closed his pack and slung it over his shoulder. At that moment he heard a tapping sound from the window and looked over to see the familiar owl that meant that he had more information from Percy. Harry quickly moved to the window and let the bird in. He removed the envelope, and the owl immediately took off out the window again.


Harry slowly opened the note.


Harry,


The Dark Lord is growing concerned that there is a spy here, so I may not be able to send you much more information. I have just found out that there is to be an attack on the Order of the Phoenix Headquarters during the Christmas holiday. I guess they think you will be there. I know that its location is supposed to be secret but they must know where it is. I don’t know how. You and the rest of my family can’t go there or you will all be killed. I think the Death Eaters are getting desperate to find a way to draw you out. None of you are safe.


I hope and pray that you will stay at Hogwarts during the holiday. Take care of my family, Harry. I am counting on you.

Percy



Harry read the note through two more times, digesting the information, then tore the parchment up and tossed it into the fire. He had to figure out a way to keep the Weasleys and himself safe, without letting them know that Headquarters was going to be attacked.


He sat for another couple of hours thinking through what he needed to do. Finally he thought he had something. He would take them all to Lion’s Watch and host Christmas at Lion’s Keep this year. It would take some time to sort out the details, but with a little help he could get everything worked out. He went to bed excited about being able to host Christmas at his home for the first time.
+++++++


The next morning Harry walked down to the Great Hall for breakfast later than usual. First thing that morning he had gone the Owlery to invite the Weasleys and the Grangers to Lion’s Watch for Christmas. He had decided that having everyone there, instead of at Hogwarts, made more sense. He would be better able to explain why, without arousing suspicion that he knew more than he was telling. He also thought that if Percy was still not being completely upfront, then having the families in a place that he did not expect was better than having them all at Hogwarts.


He stepped into the Great Hall, and was quickly accosted by Ron. “Harry, I need to talk to you.” Ron looked slightly panicked and this worried Harry.


“What is it, Ron?”


“Not here, let’s go somewhere more private.” Ron quickly led Harry into an unused classroom.


Harry was perplexed by his friend’s behavior. “Ron, isn’t it supposed to be Hermione you are dragging into empty classrooms?”


“What”oh, shut it, Harry.” Ron was still looking rather green. “I need your help.”


“With what?” Harry asked, seeing the distress that Ron was in.


“I need to talk with Hermione’s parents but I don’t know when or how. I’ve barely ever even met them,” Ron stated dejectedly.


“Why do you need to talk with her parents, Ron?” Harry questioned, not really sure where this conversation was going.


“I need to talk to them”well, at least her dad”about, you know, the future,” Ron replied.


“Whose future?” Harry’s asked, still unsure what exactly was going on.


“My future, or I mean our future.” Ron was turning redder by the second.


“You want to be a dentist or something?”


“HARRY!


Understanding dawned on Harry’s face and he smiled brightly. “You mean you want to talk to them about your future with Hermione.”


“Yes, well, that’s it. I just don’t know how,” Ron grumbled.


“Perfect timing, mate. I just wrote a letter to your mum about having Christmas this year at Lion’s Watch in Godric’s Hollow. It would be sort of a present to her for all that she has done for me over the years. Let her have a Christmas that she doesn’t have to do all the work for. I was thinking about inviting the Grangers to stay as well. That’ll be a perfect time for you to talk with them.”


Ron perked up at this. “You’re going to have us come to Lion’s Watch for Christmas? That sounds great. Ginny told me a couple of days ago that mum is really upset about not being able to go to the Burrow for Christmas, since it still isn’t safe for us. I think she would love to spend Christmas somewhere other than Grimmauld Place. This is perfect.”


“That’s what I just said,” Harry commented. He was mulling over the implications of what Ron was going to discuss with Hermione’s parents. “Ron, how do you know that she’s the one? You know, the one that you want to spend the rest of your life with.”


Ron looked up quickly and then leaned back, contemplating the question. “Well, I guess, now that we have finally gotten together, I just can’t picture myself without her anymore.”


“But aren’t you a bit young for this?” Harry asked.


“Harry, you know that Hermione has never acted her age. She’s always been more mature than the other people in our year. I think maybe this war has made all of us grow up faster than we would have otherwise. If the war wasn’t going on, then I might think I was too young for this but, now, I just want to be with her.” Ron had a crooked smile on his face.


“All right, Ron, you had just better be right and take good care of her,” Harry said, slapping him on the back. “So have you got a ring yet?”


“Yeah, Charlie is going to pick it up for me.” Ron blushed brighter.


“Do your parents know?” Harry asked as they started out of the classroom.


“I Owled them a couple of days ago. They just said okay yesterday.”


They walked out just as Hermione was about to open the classroom door. “What are you two doing in here? We have to get to Potions; Slughorn isn’t going to be happy if we are late,” she growled.


Ron and Harry exchanged smirks but said nothing. Hermione must have noticed the looks because she rolled her eyes and huffed off. They quickly started to follow her.


“Good luck, mate,” Harry joked.


“Thanks.”


They made it to Potions on time, but by the end of class they all wished they hadn’t. Professor Slughorn was in rare form today. He had been after Harry and Hermione since the start of term to join one of his “Slug Club” meetings, but they had always found a way to avoid it. This time, however, Slughorn would not be put off.


“Harry, m’boy, you and Miss Granger simply must come to my Christmas party. I won’t take no for an answer this time. Miss Granger, I have already checked with Mr. Macmillan, and he has assured me that you will have no Head Girl duties that evening. Harry, I hope you will bring that lovely Miss Lovegood again. She was simply delightful last year. I do expect you will be coming.” He handed both of them an invitation.


Harry and Hermione took the rolled up parchment and sighed heavily. The last thing either of them wanted to do was attend one of Slughorn’s parties. They’d thought he would give up on them when they kept putting him off, but the more they avoided him, the more persistent he got.


“I don’t guess we have much choice, do we?” Hermione stated as they walked out of the class. “Ron, will you go with me?”


“Well, I was thinking of seeing if McLaggen would take me, but since you asked…,” Ron replied with a grin.


“Look, Ronald,” Hermione fired back, “unless you want another demonstration of how I can conjure birds and make them do nasty things, you had better watch it.” Her voice was hard but the twinkle in her eyes showed she was playing.


Harry rolled his eyes and groaned.


“What? Isn’t this is better then last year, Harry, m’boy?” Ron spoke, doing a passable imitation of Slughorn.


Harry had to admit, this was certainly better than last year when Ron and Hermione had really been at each others’ throats.


They were on the second floor when Ginny came walking down the hall towards them. “Morning, you lot. Oh, I see you have received your “Slug Club” invitations.”


“You too?” Hermione responded.


Ginny held up her roll of parchment. “Got it in class”delivered no less”just a few minutes ago. So how are we skiving off this thing?”


“I don’t think we can this time,” Harry answered. “You know we have been avoiding this all year. Maybe if we just go he’ll leave us alone.”


“Well, in that case, Hermione, be sure to wear your Order of Merlin badge; Slughorn will love that,” Ginny mentioned. “Well, I am off to class. See you at lunch.”


Harry watched as she left. He then turned back to his friends who were smirking at him. “What?” he cried indignantly.


“When are you two going to get back together?” Hermione continued to smirk.


“We’re just friends, Hermione. That is all I can give right now,” Harry replied.


Hermione looked like she wanted to respond but held her tongue. She gave Ron a quick kiss and then left to go to Ancient Runes. Harry and Ron had a free period so they went to the Room of Requirement for training.
+++++++


A week later, Harry was in his dorm room getting ready for Slughorn’s party. He and Ron were looking appraisingly at themselves in the mirror on the wall. Harry thought that this might not be a bad night after all. He, Ginny, and Luna had received invitations to the party, so he was acting as escort for both the young ladies. Ginny had to patrol, so she was going to meet them there a little after the party started. He had heard back from Mrs. Weasley that she and the rest of the family would love to spend Christmas with Harry at Lion’s Watch. He had also heard from the Grangers that while they would not be able to stay the entire time, they would love to come and spend Christmas Eve with them and then leave on Christmas day.


When Harry told Hermione about the plans, she squealed, turned red, and kissed him on the cheek. She had already explained to her parents that she would not be home for Christmas, and since she had not been home during the summer, it had been almost a year since she had seen them. Delight radiated from her at the prospect of spending some time with them, even if it was just a day.


Harry and Ron walked down to the common room where Hermione was supposed to meet them. They sat in their normal armchairs and waited for her. She came down in a very nice dark green dress. Harry thought she certainly looked nice, albeit a little overdressed. He noticed Ron smiling widely and figured she had not worn the dress for the guests at the party but for him.


“I love that dress,” Ron breathed. He got up and met her at the base of the steps with a kiss. It was longer than the normal little pecks they gave each other in public. Harry cleared his throat behind them.


“Give him a cough drop,” Hermione purred into Ron’s ear. Ron snorted, seemingly enjoying the hug.


Harry started for the portrait hole. “I’ll see you two love birds there,” he announced and slipped out of the common room.


He walked down to the entrance hall, where he was to meet Luna. Harry saw her quickly. She had on silver robes, with popcorn earrings dangling from each ear, and her wand still tucked behind her left ear. “Hi, Luna, you look nice,” Harry stated with a smile. He was really quite fond of Luna’s eccentric style now.


“Evening, Harry. Shall we be off to see what the evening has in store?” she replied, still looking dreamily around the room.


“I think we shall,” he declared. She linked her arm in his and they started walking towards Slughorn’s office for the party.


They arrived, walked in, and were immediately accosted by some mistletoe. Luna chuckled as the mistletoe started tapping Harry impatiently on his head. Finally, after several seconds of tapping, Harry took Luna’s hand and kissed it. The mistletoe actually seemed disappointed, but it did leave them alone. Harry watched it go and looked on in amusement when it found Ron and Hermione entering the room. Well, it certainly found better victims.


The party was in full swing, and Harry found himself having a horrible time. He was introduced to someone from the Ministry who had been a student of Slughorn’s fifteen years previously. Slughorn was now parading him around the room, showing him off to all those in attendance. To top it off, Ginny was half an hour late and Harry had an uncomfortable feeling about it. Finally he pawned Slughorn off on Luna, as she started talking about some mythical creature her father was after, and found a quiet place to stand and think. Ron and Hermione were dancing in a far corner, oblivious to the world and the party going on around them.


Harry closed his eyes and raised his mental walls. He reached out for Ginny and his eyes snapped open. She was scared. He tried to reach into her mind to tell what was going on. He didn’t know what was wrong but he could feel her presence and for the first time, he was startled to notice, could tell where in the castle she was. He ran out of the room.


He knew, although he wasn’t sure how, that she was being taken towards the secret passage that led to Honeydukes. He raced through the corridors, focusing on Ginny, Ron and Hermione in turn. He desperately wanted to make sure Ginny was all right, and every time he focused on her, he felt the same surge of fear, but no loss of consciousness. He would then focus on Ron and Hermione, praying that they would hear his thoughts and know where to find him.


He rounded a corner and heard hushed voices in front of him. He slowed and crept down the hall just out of sight.


“Great, now she’s fainted. What do you propose we do?” came a very angry female voice.


“Well, isn’t it obvious? We carry her,” snarled a male voice. “They will be waiting for us in town. Crabbe, grab her legs; Goyle, take her arms.”


Two grunts later and Harry knew they had her up. He was puzzled because he could still feel her consciousness. He could feel the fear in her, but one of the voices said she had fainted. He didn’t have time to ponder this, however. He had to make his move before they got her into the secret passage. He stepped out from behind the corner and silently flicked his wand.


“Ahh!” screamed the lone female as she was quickly bound in tight black ropes. She fell with a thud.


“He’s over there. Crabbe, drop the girl and get him,” Malfoy sneered. “Here to get your girlfriend, Potter?”


Crabbe dropped Ginny’s legs and started walking towards Harry, who almost chuckled wondering how dumb Crabbe could be. He isn’t going to use his wand.


“Petrificus Totalus!” Harry bellowed. Crabbe fell face first onto the cold stone floor. “Just two of you left, Malfoy. I can live with those odds.”


At that moment, Ginny, her legs now free, kicked at Malfoy, who had backed almost into her. She kicked hard, catching him just above the knee. He flinched and fell to the side. Goyle dropped her and went for his wand. He never reached it. From the other end of the hall, two red streams of light fired directly at him.


The Stunners hit Goyle in the back and he was launched forward five feet, landing almost on top of Crabbe. Malfoy had righted himself by this time and looked back to see Ginny starting to scramble to her feet.


“Blood traitor slut,” he sneered and unleashed a back hand, catching her just above the right cheek. Her head was flung backwards and connected with the stone floor, blood seeping from a gash under eye. Malfoy turned back to Harry.


Harry was radiating sheer power as he saw Malfoy hit Ginny. Malfoy turned with a look of contempt, which changed to one of desperation when he saw the power that seemed to ripple off of Harry’s body. The air around him almost crackled as he raised his wand.


“STUPEFY!” Harry shouted. Malfoy reacted quickly and raised a metal shield, with a green M on the front. The red beam made contact with the shield, which shattered and slammed into Malfoy’s chest. The Stunner knocked him off his feet, driving him through the air towards the other end of the hall. He landed with a resounding thud, his head slamming back with a sickening crack on the stone floor.


Harry slowly walked towards Malfoy as Ron and Hermione raced up to him. He didn’t acknowledge their presence; he continued on, feeling nothing but rage at the blond boy lying unconscious on the floor in front of him. Ron ran to Ginny who was beside the statue of the humpbacked witch, not moving. Hermione stopped and stood in front of Harry.


“Harry, he’s out, he isn’t hurting anyone. We stopped him,” Hermione pleaded. Harry had a maniacal look in his eye.


He pushed past her so that he was standing directly over Draco’s fallen form.


“Harry, you can’t do this. He isn’t going to hurt anyone.”


“No, he isn’t…not anymore.” He raised his wand. “Goodbye, Malfoy.”


“Harry, NO!”
+++++++


A/N: I would like to apologize for the cliffhanger ending, but I REALLY like them, so no apology is forth coming. I hope you like this chapter. There is a lot going on here let me know what you think.


Thanks as always go to my dear pre beta’s cableguysmom and Kerrbear and to my wonderful beta JenC. Great job ladies, as always.


Up next we find out if Harry what happens with Malfoy, and get ready for some holiday cheer, at Lion’s Watch.