Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Never Alone by ckwright51

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
I don't own anything in the Harry Potter universe. I would like Adrea (ravensgryff) to moderate this chapter, please. Thank you.
+++++


The mood in the Gryffindor common room was exceptionally festive. Harry had been carried on the shoulders of his housemates from the pitch all the way to the portrait hole. As they entered, the celebration went into full swing. Butterbeer and loads of food were waiting for them.


“Well, we just knew you wouldn’t let us down,” Fred announced when Harry began to ask how they had gotten all the food arranged so quickly.


“Hermione had Dobby and Winky bring it all up during the match,” George continued.


Harry and Ron were both incredulous at in this announcement. Hermione was blushing slightly at the looks on their faces. “What? Dobby and Winky are being paid so it was perfectly appropriate for me to ask them to do this. Furthermore, since I am a professor here””


“Hermione, you could have jinxed the whole game,” Ron shouted. “You never plan the celebration before you play the game. You never assume a win is the bag””


Poof.


Ron did not get to finish his lecture on the inappropriateness of Hermione’s actions. Fred stuffed a Canary Cream into his brother’s mouth, and clamped it shut. Ron transformed into a small yellow bird. He flapped his wings angrily at the twins.


Fred looked at Hermione with a smile. “If you ever need him to shut up, just let us know.”


George winked at her as Ron molted and turned into himself again. He was red with embarrassment, but refrained from anymore tirades.


Around two, Ginny arrived for the party, having seemingly made a miraculous recovery. A great cheer erupted from everyone present as she entered. Harry marched over to her, a determined sort of look on his face, scooped her up in his arms and kissed her fiercely. Oohs and ahs broke out from the crowd but Harry didn’t care.


They broke apart and Ginny, a bit breathless, spoke. “Now that was nice way to come into the common room,” she purred, wrapping her arms around him.


“Where have you been?” Harry asked. “I thought you would have been here ages ago.”


Ginny frowned slightly at him. “Well, I couldn’t just leave right after the match was over, could I? That would have seemed awfully suspicious.”


Harry grinned, recognizing the truth of her statement.


The rest of the afternoon was spent merrily enjoying the celebration of Gryffindor’s fourth cup in five years. Angelina Johnson, Alicia Spinnet, and Katie Bell had all returned for the festivities. It seemed that Katie and Oliver Wood were enjoying themselves quite well, as they sat very closely on one of the couches.


Far too soon it was time for Harry and his friends to get ready for the Ministry ceremony that evening. Harry, who had been blackmailed into going by Umbridge, had insisted that his five friends be allowed to attend. He originally wanted them to be awarded Orders of Merlin as well, but this request was flatly refused.


As he walked up to the dormitory to change, he kept telling himself this was for Buckbeak. That helped a little, but with every step, his dread about the ceremony grew.
+++++


At six that evening, Harry, Ron and Neville sat in their dormitory waiting. They had agreed to meet Ginny and Hermione in the common room in twenty minutes, but didn’t want to wait there. Dean had started leading some fifth years in a Muggle athletic celebration tradition: pouring champagne on each other. In the absence of champagne, Butterbeer was used, and soon all those left in the common room were wet and sticky.


Harry looked out the window at the setting sun. He watched as Charlie and Fang walked across the grounds towards Hagrid’s house, and a pang of sadness resonated in Harry’s heart. He dearly missed Hagrid, he thought. At least I can take care of Grawp. Which he had done: with Charlie’s and his friends’ help, Harry had Grawp taken to Lion’s Watch. The grounds of the massive estate were a perfect place for him. He could hunt, uproot trees or whatever he fancied without fear of detection.


Harry continued to watch Charlie as he made his way past Hagrid’s cabin towards the front gates. He knew that Charlie, who had not taken up residence in Hagrid’s old house, was heading home to change. He would be going to the Ministry to pick Buckbeak up and take him back to Hogwarts as soon as Harry fulfilled his end of the bargain.


Tap, tap.


At another window, a very strange-looking owl waited patiently on the ledge. Ron opened the window and the owl, whose head looked too big for his body, dropped an envelope on Ron’s bed and then fluttered off to Harry. The owl landed on Harry’s bedside table and stuck out his leg. Harry took the letter off, looking at Ron, who had a bemused expression on his face.


They looked at their envelopes, and noticed that both had the same terribly messy handwriting on the front. Harry tore open his letter and began to read.

Harry,
Sorry I didn’t get to see you after the final match; I had pressing matters to attend to. I am hoping that now, perhaps, things in your life have changed enough so that you will reconsider my offer and try out for the English team this year. Training camp begins on July the twentieth if you are interested.


Outstanding catch in the match today, by the way. I had forgotten how well you fly. You would be more than a match for Viktor Krum , I think. Hope we find out!


Sorry for the messy handwriting. I usually have my secretary write these things but I wanted to do it personally. Have a wonderful time at the Ministry tonight and think about trying out.


Sincerely,
Quinton White



Harry stood smiling at Ron, who had just finished reading his own letter. Harry guessed that his best friend’s was very similar to his own.


Ron spoke first. “The twentieth…you’d miss your birthday.”


“Well, I’ve never had a proper birthday anyway, have I?”


Ron’s smile grew. “So, do you think we should try out?”


Harry sat there for a moment, thinking. “Let’s see how things go. I am still not sure that Voldemort is gone, but I can’t just sit around and wait for him to wake up.” There was a moment of silence before Neville, not really knowing what they were talking about, told them it was time to head downstairs.


Harry, Ron and Neville went downstairs and found Ginny and Hermione waiting for them, wands drawn, threatening anyone who came near them with a bottle. The boys made quick dash to them and they all, thankfully, made it out of the portrait hole without being showered with Butterbeer.


They met Luna halfway to Ravenclaw Tower and made their way down to the entrance hall, where a Portkey was waiting to take them to the Ministry. They had chosen to wear their Hogwarts robes, instead of dress robes, as a silent protest for Harry being forced into this photo opportunity for the Minster. Luna even wore her radish earrings.

As they descended the marble steps to the ground floor, two things caught their attention. First was the menacing form of Kingsley Shacklebolt, waiting for them at the foot of the staircase. Second was Peeves floating happily over the steps brandishing several large water balloons.


“Oh, look it, Potty and his gang, and looking so nice in their robes.” Peeves made to start throwing balloons. Hermione and Ginny shrieked and began to cover their heads, in an attempt to protect their hair. Ron and Neville started shouting and brandishing their wands, and Luna looked, as usual, like she did not care in the least. Ron and Neville began to try and drag the girls from the top step, but stopped. Harry had stepped forward, staring at Peeves.


“Stop, Peeves, now’s not the time!” he exclaimed, a little above a normal speaking voice. Peeves stopped mid-throw, looking dumbfounded. The entrance hall was silent for a moment and then, to everyone’s surprise, Peeves turned and floated away without so much as a backward raspberry.


“Wow, Harry, that was cool,” Colin Creevey said, approaching them from the corridor. “I saw Dumbledore do that to Peeves one night, but he is the only one who could just make Peeves go away. Even the Bloody Baron can’t control Peeves that well.” There was a hint of awe in Colin’s voice, which had not been there in some time. Harry looked away, embarrassed.


“Anyway, Harry, I was thinking, well wondering actually, erm…could I get a picture of you six? You know for old times’ sake?”


Harry looked at the others, and all seemed to be agreeable to a picture. “You know, Colin,” Harry responded, turning back to Colin, “I think that is the first time you have asked to take my picture in all the years we have been here.”


Colin blushed as he raised his camera. The group formed into a tight group, with Ginny holding Harry’s hand. Ron’s arm was around Hermione. Colin took the picture, blinding them all with the flash. “Thanks, Harry. I will send you all a copy if you like?” Colin, for an instant, reverted back to the breathless eleven-year-old boy whom Harry had first met six years ago.


“That would be great,” Harry stated as the others nodded and smiled. “But don’t ask me to sign it or anything.”


“Oh no, Harry.” Colin blushed again and Harry thought just for a second that, while he was joking about it, Colin may have wanted a signed copy.


“Hey, you lot,” came a deep voice from the base of the steps. “You only have two minutes before you have to be there, so get a move on.”


“Let ‘em wait,” shouted Ron, but Hermione quickly started tugging him down the steps.


“Ron, we don’t want to give Umbridge any excuse to double-cross Harry and kill Buckbeak,” she explained.


They reached the bottom of the steps and each placed a finger on an old feather duster that Kingsley was holding. “Three-two-one.”


Harry felt the familiar tug behind his navel and they were whisked away to the Ministry of Magic.


“What took you so long?” came the sickly sweet voice of Dolores Umbridge as the six teens sorted themselves out after landing inside the Ministry. “You were to be here promptly and you were to wear formal dress robes.

“Sorry, this was all”” Harry began, but she cut across him.


“No matter.” Her smile was still plastered on like a simpering toad. Harry could tell, however, that being nice was costing her dearly. “What you have on will suffice.” Beckoning to the group, she continued, “You five may go and join the other guests, just through those doors, on the right side of the Atrium. Harry and I will be coming along in a moment.”


Ginny looked like she was not going to leave, until Harry nodded to her. “It’s all right.” She grudgingly walked with the others, shooting glances over her shoulder as she went.


The others walked through the doors and Umbridge rounded on Harry, dropping all pretence of sweetness. “All right, Potter, you listen to me. You are going to behave tonight. The Minister will get up and say a few words to the press. He will then give you the Order of Merlin medal. You will smile and shake his hand and be grateful for the honour.


“If the press wants to ask you questions, you will answer and tell them how much you appreciate the Order of Merlin and that you were happy to work alongside the Ministry of Magic to put an end to this war. Do I make myself clear?”


Harry was fuming at this point. He was prepared to graciously receive this medal”although he didn’t want to”because he wanted Buckbeak to be all right. Having to lie about the “helpfulness” of the Ministry was another thing altogether.


Umbridge must have seen the rebellious look in his eye, because she hastily continued, “If you step out of line tonight, or embarrass the Ministry in any way, not only will that foul beast be destroyed, but that red-headed character”Charlie Weasley is it?”will be arrested for harboring a fugitive creature.”


Harry had gone pale at this point, but understood he had no choice. “Fine,” he replied through gritted teeth.


The sweet little girl smile returned and Umbridge led Harry into the room where the ceremony would take place.


Harry had been expecting a small group of people, so he was astounded to see well over a hundred people sitting in the room. Scrimgeour was already standing at the podium in the front of the room, taking questions.


“Minister, do you have any news on the giant attack in Kent this afternoon?”


“Yes, that is being sorted out as we speak. It appears that a large group of giants were coming to help He Who Must Not Be Named, but when they found out that he was already defeated, they turned around and started for their homes in the mountains. The attack was apparently their way of blowing off steam. It took most of the Aurors on duty to take care of it, but it seems…



“Well, enough of that, the man of the hour has arrived.” Scrimgeour pointed at Harry and the entire room turned in unison to stare at him as he walked to the platform, with Umbridge beaming and walking beside him. He noticed her beginning to reach up to place a hand on his shoulder, as if they were good friends, and he picked up his pace, leaving her groping the air.


He reached the platform, walked right by Scrimgeour and sat in a chair behind him. Harry looked out into the crowd, searching for his friends. He found them in the far corner of the room, and was surprised to see that a good number of Order members had come as well.


All the Weasleys were there, Fred and George wearing outlandish lime-green robes. Remus and Tonks sat alongside Moody and Professor McGonagall. Bill and Fleur sat behind them, both looking extremely happy. Charlie sat next to them, beside Abe Dumbledore, who had his arm around the lunch trolley lady from the Hogwarts Express. They were all beaming at him.


Minister Scrimgeour still standing at the podium and began his formal remarks. Harry continued to sit behind and to the right, while Umbridge stood, smiling sweetly, behind and to the left.


“Ladies and gentlemen, we come here on a very auspicious evening. Tonight, the most evil Dark Wizard, possibly ever, will finally receive the end that he most surely deserves. For this very evening we will be sending what remains of He Who Must Not Be Named through the veil in the Department of Mysteries.”


This statement was greeted with many gasps, some oohs and ahs, a cry of “that’s never been done before,” and finally a great round of applause. Harry stood there feeling like a lead weight had been dropped into the pit of his stomach. He was completely taken off his guard by this pronouncement. His mind started to race, and he was no longer able to take in a word Scrimgeour said.


A thousand questions darted into Harry’s mind. Why tonight, why not last week or sooner? Do they want me to be some part of that too? Is that what the Prophecy meant? Perhaps I am going to push Voldemort through the veil.


As Harry’s mind battled with these and other questions, Scrimgeour droned on and on, with Harry only picking up an occasional word. Finally, after what seemed like hours to Harry, applause broke out again, and Scrimgeour turned towards him with a small box in his hand. Harry looked confusedly from the box to the Minister a couple of times before he realized what was going on.


Harry reached out, grasped the box in one hand and shook the Minister’s right hand. He tried to smile, but he was sure it came across as fake. Flashbulbs were now blinding him as photographers were snapping shots and yelling instructions. It was quite overwhelming.


Bang!


Harry thought he had heard a something that didn’t sound like a flashbulb, but he was too blinded to see into the crowd for the source of the sound. The pictures just kept coming. Scrimgeour and Umbridge now had Harry between them. Harry tried to pull away from the Minister, but he refused to let go of his grip on Harry’s hand. Harry gave a great yank and finally freed his hand just as a brilliant green flash filled the hall. There was a sound of rushing wind and Rufus Scrimgeour collapsed on the floor, clearly dead.


Screams crossed throughout the hall. The flashbulbs continued to burst on the stage, and chaos ensued in the crowd. Harry backed away from the body of the Minister of Magic and was grabbed from behind and spun around.


“WHAT DID YOU DO?” yelled Umbridge at Harry. Harry did not have time to answer. His eyes were finally back to normal, and from the way Umbridge had spun him around, he had a clear view of the doors leading into the press room. He watched as men and women in torn and shabby robes charged into the room.


He saw that two of the people now firing spells into the crowd had Death Eater attire on, while the others wore tattered and dirty robes and must have been the captured Death Eaters who had now been set free. And as if to prove the point, he saw Percy clamouring through one of the side doors.


Harry did not have time to think about this, however, because Umbridge was still screaming at him. The taller of the two remaining Death Eaters turned and fired yet another green beam of light directly at Harry and Umbridge.


Gathering all the strength he could muster, Harry pushed Umbridge off the stage, propelling himself in the opposite direction. The curse went between them, striking the wall and sending bits of masonry into the air.


With reflexes born out of years of Quidditch”and all the training throughout the last year”Harry landed on his back, rolled and was up, wand at the ready, before a second curse could be fired. He watched in stunned fascination as reality dawned on Umbridge’s toad-like face. Then something completely unexpected happened. She glanced at Harry and then disappeared, replaced by an actual toad, which hopped under the stage.


Flashbulbs continued to sound all around Harry. Most of the photographers were getting pictures of the fight, without actually joining in. From his position, Harry was able to observe the battle taking place, but was having difficulty getting to a place where he would be able to fight. He got up and crossed the stage to the place where Umbridge had transformed. Here he could crouch down, remain unseen and still fire at the group of rampaging escapees.


He raised his mental walls and felt the presence of all five of his friends. They seemed very frustrated, and a quick look at their positions told him why. All the Order members, including the teens, having been seated furthest away from the doors, were now unable to get into a position to fight around all the frightened spectators.


Harry started firing jinxes towards the escapees. He had Stunned three before they knew someone was firing from their flank. The shorter of the two Death Eaters turned and raised his wand, but was knocked over by a wizard seeking escape from the carnage. His mask knocked off, Harry’s suspicions were confirmed, Draco sneered at the old wizard before firing the Killing Curse at his defenseless victim.


Harry fired at Draco, but he rolled out of the way. Harry noticed a wild, insane look in Draco’s eyes that he had never seen before, as if something in Malfoy had snapped or a full year in the presence of Voldemort had finally removed any trace of innocence he ever had. It reminded Harry powerfully of the look on the younger Bellatrix Lestrange he had observed in Dumbledore’s Pensieve: the look of someone who would not be coming back to the light side.


A green beam flashed over Harry’s head. He ducked down again, firing a Stunner. It missed.


The crowd was now thinning, whether because they had escaped or because they had been killed, Harry did not know. The Order had finally started to engage the enemy, as Harry traded curses with Malfoy. He hit Draco with a Cutting Curse that opened a large gash across his head, knocking the blond boy back several steps. Just then, Moody broke free from the crowd and fired. For the second time that evening, Harry watched someone become an animal, but this time not voluntarily.


Draco, for the second time in his life, was transformed into a white ferret. It dashed, dodging curses, and escaped out of the hall. Harry didn’t think that was the best strategy, since now Malfoy had escaped, but he didn’t have time to ponder it; he had just noticed the other Death Eater streaking for the door.


Harry dashed to the doors as well, unwilling to allow anyone else to escape. He burst into the Atrium. Buckbeak was standing alone, pawing the ground, presumably left there by someone from the Ministry when the attack commenced. Desperate to track down the remaining unidentified Death Eater, Harry hardly registered the white furry creature the Hippogriff had just snatched from the floor.


Harry saw the tall Death Eater running away from the exit. He was making for the lifts and Harry knew immediately that he was trying to get to Voldemort. He bolted for the lifts as well. The Death Eater entered the first one and began to descend towards the ninth level, where the Department of Mysteries was located.


Harry slammed the call button and waited. He then realized that the others had no idea where he was. He focused his mind and began to think, I’m following a Death Eater to the Department of Mysteries. I think he is trying to revive Voldemort somehow.


The lift arrived and Harry sprang inside, viciously punching the button for level nine. He heard Ginny’s voice inside his head. What do you mean revive Voldemort? How can he…? Stay there, we will be there in a moment.


As the lift descended, Harry could tell his friends were trying to extricate themselves from the fight above. Don’t bother; I can still feel you lot with me down here, so I’m not alone.


That’s not good enough, Harry.Hermione’s voice echoed in his mind. If you just wait, we can be there and help you. If Voldemort is revived, you are going to need us.


“Level Nine, Department of Mysteries,” announced a female voice from the lift. Harry didn’t answer; instead, he began to sprint to the door leading to the Death Chamber. He crossed the hall and slammed open the door leading to the circular room. Two Aurors were lying on the floor beside the door. Neither of them seemed to be breathing.


To his right, a door was being slammed shut. Before he could reach the door, it closed and the room began to spin. Panic began to rise in Harry as he was now sure he would not be able to find the room before Voldemort was revived. He tried a door at random and found that it was locked. He tried another. This one opened and Harry looked inside; the room with the brains in a tank, which had been repaired, stood in front of him. He moved away from the door, hoping it would remain open for him so the room would not spin again. It closed without warning and once again the room swirled with only the glow of the blue candles to mark its movement.


Frustrated beyond sense, he yelled, “I need the Death Chamber!” and a door to his left opened. He ran through it and saw a man in black robes, with long silver-white hair, holding an empty phial in his left hand and a wand in his right.


“INCARCERUS!” shouted Lucius Malfoy.


Black ropes shot from his wand and wrapped themselves tightly around Harry at the ankle, waist and shoulders. Harry stumbled and fell to the side, hitting the ground and knocking the breath out of himself. He looked up quickly and saw Malfoy smiling down at him, as behind him, lying on a stone table, Voldemort began to stir.
++++++


A/N: Sorry for the evil cliff hanger. For all of you that figured out that Harry hadn’t completely defeated Voldemort at the Burrow great job keeping up. I hope you enjoyed it all. We are almost to the end now for real.


Thanks as always to my marvelous pre-betas Cableguysmom and Kerrbear for their help with this chapter, And many thanks to my betas Ginny Guerra and JenC for their work making it polished and looking good, also thanks to Ravensgryff for doing an outstanding job of moderating the story. Thanks ladies.


Up next the final battle!