Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Dear Ron ... by Neli P

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
- Author's Note: I love the Weasleys, and they belong to JKR! The following lines are not intended to be “Female Psychology 101”, or true, or false. I just want to share with you what I guess “they” 'd think about the matter. Please read and take a little time to Review ! Thanks a lot for all your comments :-) !! -


*********

It was 2:00AM, and Ron Weasley lay, wide awake, staring blankly at the dark ceiling of his room.


His day had, however, started quite pleasantly. He had been emerging from a good night sleep filled with glorious Quidditch games, when Hermione’s owl dropped her letter on his fuming bowl of porridge: She just came back from Venice, was still waiting impatiently for her OWLs results, and asked if she could spend the last month of vacation with the Weasleys. Hermione knew she was more than welcome at the Burrow! But, as far as Ron was concerned, August looked years away. Even though he would never admit it to himself, he missed her so much he could fly the old Ford Anglia over her house and pick her up right away.


And then, Ron sighed in frustration, all his problems would reappear on the spot! He and Hermione would start arguing again over silly things, making them both miserable afterwards. Why? He kept wondering. Maybe he had missed a point or two in his relationship with Hermione? But how to figure it out without looking foolish? And Ron hated ‘looking foolish’ even more than he loathed spiders. If only he could ask someone wiser and trustworthy about those matters! As he turned once more in his bed, his eyes fell on a tiny figure of the Welsh Green dragon, his 9th birthday gift from Charlie.


Charlie! The Dragon Chaser! A glare of hope flashed in Ron’s mind. Of course, he could ask Charlie! His brother tackled dragons for a living ... he would certainly know how to deal with girls, wouldn’t he?


Ron immediately jumped from his bed to his desk, reaching for quill and parchment, and began writing:


“Dear Charlie,

Too bad you can’t come home this summer.

Are you well? Is Norbert the Norwegian Ridgeback giving you a hard time? It reminds me to send word from Hagrid, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher: he is planning a lesson on dragons for 6th grade students (it means us!). It would be awesome to have you as a speaker for the occasion! Think about that and let us know, will you?

Look, I have a complicated matter I can’t discuss with Dad, and even less with Fred or George. So I reckon you don’t mind giving me your opinion (!): I have a classmate at Hogwarts who puzzled me for some time now. She (yeah! You might have guessed, it is a girl ! ) is very special and quite a character, I can tell you! No matter how hard I tried to be nice, all I said or did came out wrong, and we ended up nagging at each other. This is getting annoying! Blimey, I am 16! How could I have guessed mad things girls expected from us, boys? What can I do to make the whole situation better?

I know you are busy, but I would appreciate an answer as soon as you can! Thanks a lot, and, please, don’t mention this to anyone, all right?
Take care,

Ron”


Ron read his letter carefully several times, and decided it sounded fine. As always, Pigwidgeon took on the delivery task with great enthusiasm. The tiny owl flew away and vanished on the horizon, leaving Ron standing at his window, still struggling with his thoughts.


Surprisingly, Pig came back 2 days later with Charlie’s reply. Ron unrolled eagerly his letter, which parchment was still damp with the Romanian mountain’s mist.


“Dear Ron,

First, congratulations for winning the Quidditch Cup! I heard you did a fine job as the new Griffindor Keeper, and young Ginny made quite an impression stepping in for Harry . I can’t wait to test your new blocking techniques! So much talent in our family! Needless to say, I am immensely proud of you all!


Norbert is fine, growing stronger and scarier everyday! Being a speaker at Hogwarts sounds indeed very appealing! If timing is good, maybe I will stop by Hogwarts on my way to the Highlands. I’ll let you know, of course!


Now, about your question, I wish you had asked me about the Hungarian Horntail! But, I’ll do my best and here is what I can think of:


Girls are the most unpredictable creatures on earth! Each of them is unique, thinking, acting on her own mind, and that precisely what confuses us, boys! In spite of their fragile appearance, most of them are strong and independent. They certainly own a high capacity to defend themselves, however I think they tend to reach a harmonious existence with their loved ones.


Therefore, I suggest you stop arguing with Hermione (I reckon she is 'the 'Girl you mentioned). Quarrelling might appear fun at first, but it will end up poisoning your relationship. From now on, try to pay attention to her, observe what she likes or dislikes. Be there for her, until she realizes you … well … belong to her world! I admit this can take some time. But you still have the next two years to achieve that, haven’t you ?


Good luck, then! And keep training Quidditch during summer, will you?

Your bother,

Charlie”


Ron tossed the letter, feeling more confused than ever. How did Charlie recognize Hermione between his lines, he asked himself, highly bothered. His brother also recommended patience and observation. Fine! But it could take years for him, Ron, to keep up at Hermione’s level. To be honest, he had to admit she had always been (slightly!) ahead of him on almost everything, not only homework. And, with Vicky Krum sticking around like an old jinx, Ron had to time to waste and decided to rule out Charlie’s game plan.


- “Let’s move to Plan B!” Ron stated aloud, “and see what Mister Hearthrob himself has to say about this” !.


He reached hopefully for his quill again, and began scribing a new letter to Bill Weasley.


*********