Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Switching the Witch by nickynackyneevy38

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: this chapter is a bit of a filler so sorry if it isn't very interesting. It will get better, scouts honour! Read and review please!:D


“In. Now.” Professor McGonagall’s voice cut through the silence like a steely knife. With a slight jump, the two girls hurriedly entered her office. After swiftly closing the door, Professor McGonagall turned to face the two girls whose heads were bowed to the ground.

“Just what do you have to say for yourselves?” said McGonagall in a steely whisper. Parvati wished her knees would stop knocking as she was sure it was audible in the choking silence that filled the room.

“Well?” exclaimed McGonagall after an awkward pause. Padma shot Parvati a warning look which said keep your mouth shut and we might get off lightly. Unfortunately, Parvati was not quite so blessed as Padma in the common sense area.

“Well, to tell you the truth, Professor, we were both on our way to the Hospital Wing to get salve to apply to Padma’s foot.”

“My foot…OUCH!” Professor McGonagall whipped around from looking for detention slips and stared at the sisters. Padma was hopping on one foot wincing in pain while Parvati patted her arm sympathetically.

“She hurt it just after dinner while walking up the stairs,” lied Parvati, who continued patting Padma on the arm until her hand was batted away angrily by her sister.

“I do not accept rule breaking whatever the reason happens to be,” snapped McGonagall through thin lips. Her patience was wearing thin due to lack of sleep, and it was clear she did not believe a word of Parvati’s story.

“Twenty points from Gryffindor and Ravenclaw for being out after hours and another ten points from Gryffindor for lying...”

Parvati stared at McGonagall, horror struck, while Padma looked at her feet hoping the punishment was over. However, they had no such luck.

“…and a detention each. I will not accept rule breaking no matter how old you are. You’re sixth years, start acting like it!” she snapped. Whipping open the door, McGonagall sent the girls to their dormitories, warning them that fifty points each were at stake if they weren’t in bed in ten minutes’ time. Hurrying down the corridor, the sisters turned around the corner silently before they could breathe freely again.

“Why did you have to go and make up one of your crazy stories again?” snapped Padma, her foot still throbbing where Parvati had stamped on it.

“Don’t go blaming me for trying; your lips were sealed the whole time! One of us had to say something!”

“We could have escaped with just a detention, but thanks to you McGonagall took twenty points from Ravenclaw!”

“Oh calm your knickers, I’m sure your precious points will be restored tomorrow by some overenthusiastic first year,” sneered Parvati.

“That’s beside the point!” Padma said, blushing from noticing how geeky her last comment sounded.

“I’ve half a mind to forget about the whole switching places thing…” she then threatened, turning away from Parvati.

“Ok, ok, I’m sorry! I won’t get you into trouble again; I’m sorry!” gushed Parvati, clutching onto Padma’s robes and half choking her with the strength of her grasp. Realising her sister needed to breathe, Parvati released her and started to dust off Padma’s robes.

“Stop it!” said Padma angrily at Parvati’s prolonged dusting action. Grinning sheepishly, Parvati desisted and stepped away. Sighing and rubbing her temples, Padma slowly counted to ten. She usually had a sweet temper, but Parvati always seemed to evoke a maniacal anger in her with the smallest action.

“So, when are we going to release the jaybird?” Padma whispered melodramatically after she’d calmed down.

“Release the what now?!” said Parvati, one eyebrow raised.

“The jaybird! It’s a code name!”

“For what? Your sanity?”

“No!” snarled Padma, blushing.

“Oh yeah, you lost that years ago…” stated Parvati matter-of-factly.

“Parvati! I mean when are we going to put the plan into action?”

“No time like the present,” whispered Parvati with a devilish grin

“You mean…right now?” Padma said warily.

“Of course, just tell me how to get to the Gryffindor common room and your password and I’ll tell you mine.”

Padma looked at Parvati hesitantly, suddenly wishing she hadn’t agreed to this practical joke. What if the school finds out and we’re kicked out? thought Padma suddenly, feeling very worried. Or what if Parvati decides she doesn’t want to switch back and I have to force her to by telling everyone what we did? Then Padma gasped, thinking of the worst possible outcome: What if Andrew finds out and dumps me because I lied? This last thought made Padma’s blood run cold and sent a shiver down her spine. Thinking about life without Andrew chilled Padma to the bone.

Padma looked fearfully at Parvati, on the verge of breaking her promise, but on seeing the excited glint in Parvati’s eye and the wide smile that had spread across her face, Padma couldn’t ring herself to ruin her sister’s plan.

“Ok,” she said resignedly, and after exchanging the information, Parvati set off to the Ravenclaw dormitories without a glance behind her. Padma stood in silence for a few seconds trying to see the enormity of what she had just agreed to, but her thoughts were interrupted by the unmistakeable sound of Professor McGonagall’s footsteps approaching. Ducking into the shadows, Padma ran to Gryffindor Tower, praying that the Fat Lady was still awake.

“Password?” said the Fat Lady languidly, looking down upon the panting figure of Padma.

“Err…wolfsbane!” yelped Padma after a momentary memory loss.

“Correct,” said the Fat Lady, swinging forward to admit her, “but don’t think I didn’t realise you’re ten minutes later turning up than what Professor McGonagall told you!” Stumbling through the portrait hole, Padma raced up the stairs to look for her dormitory. Several wrong doors later, Padma crept into her new bed silently so as not to wake the others in the room. Curling up into a ball, Padma fell into a doze.

What have I let myself in for? she thought fearfully, then gratefully let the much needed sleep consume her.