Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Delayed Revenge by Arthur Weasley

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
“I swear I will make Wormtail pay for what he’s done,” Sirius thought as he ran on the road. Years of friendship had at last come to this; in the darkest of times, one of his closest friends had committed betrayal. Peter Pettigrew, known as Wormtail in his former close knit of friends, had let Voldemort know the whereabouts of Lily and James Potter. “After all the time we’ve spent together, helped him, after all this…how he dares…” Words escaped him at the moment. Enraged even more by his own thoughts, he traveled through the streets of Godric’s Hollow silently.

Finally, he realized he was aimlessly drifting with no real goal in sight. Frustrated, he resumed human form. “Now, where is the sniveling coward?” he wondered aloud. Sirius walked over and sat on the curb as he tried to calm his mind. He glanced around the area and observed the simple homes, most of them the same style. Unfortunately, this was the same style the Potters had, and only depressed him further. "Lily and James, why..." Sirius began, unable to contain himself. Dark times as they were, this loss was finally over the top for him. As his thoughts drifted once again, bitterness over betrayal once again crept back to him.

‘If he’s smart, which he’s not, he’ll go into hiding. He knows we’ll come after him. If not me, then Remus, or Dumbledore. He’ll never be safe again. If he betrays his newfound friend, there’ll be death from that side. I only hope I can find him first.’ Sirius drew out his wand, and with a loud crack, disapparated out of sight.

CRACK! He reappeared in front of the Leaky Cauldron and strode inside.

“Where is Peter Pettigrew?” he demanded of the bartender.

“Peter? Haven’t seen him since earlier today. Seemed a bit shaken too, he was,” he replied, casually cleaning a glass.

“Where was he going?” Sirius demanded again.

“Not sure, didn’t seem to be in a talkative mood. Sirius, I, uh, heard some news just a little while ago. Not too good, either.”

“I’m sure I’ve heard, now back to Peter”“

“Sirius, Lily and James have”“

“I KNOW ABOUT LILY AND JAMES!” Sirius yelled as his hand came crashing down on the counter. “WHERE IS PETTIGREW?!”

“Sirius! Calm down! Why do you need to find him anyway? He’ll find out soon enough.”

Sirius regained his composure as he said calmly, “I have my reasons. Now please, Tom, do you have ANY information as to where he was going?”

Tom thought for a moment. “Well, he headed north out of town. He was muttering to himself as he went. Couldn’t really pick it up, but he might be in Hogsmeade.”

“Thank you.” Sirius left the bar and looked up towards the sky. “I’m coming for you Wormtail, mark my words.” With another crack he headed off towards the village of Hogsmeade.

“Madam Rosmerta, have you seen Peter Pettigrew?”

“Nope, sorry Sirius, been kind of quiet in here all evening. People seem to be rejoicing a bit. There’s been rumors that You-Know-Who’s gone! Can you believe it?!”

Normally Sirius would be ecstatic at news of this kind, but nothing could possibly drive the hatred of his former friend from his mind. “Great news, but you haven’t seen him at all?”

“Nope, not here, sorry. But You-Know-Who defeated at last? This is a”“ she stopped talking once she looked up and realized Sirius had left her store.

“WHERE ARE YOU?!” Sirius screamed to the night. A wizard positively jumping for joy ran up and said, “No need to be angry, my dear man, for today You-Know-Who has gone at last!” Sirius pulled the man into a very harsh hold and screamed, “WHO CARES THAT VOLDEMORT IS GONE?! THE POTTERS ARE DEAD!” The wizard cringed at the name, and said, “Yes, that truly is sad, but young Harry survived! They say he’s the one that broke his power! Isn’t it wonderful?”

“NO IT’S NOT WONDERFUL! MY FRIENDS ARE GONE!” At this Sirius roughly threw the man aside. "WHAT DOES IT MATTER IF VOLDEMORT HAS BEEN DEFEATED? I HAVE NO ONE NOW!" The wizard looked wide-eyed with fear for a moment, then ran off, skipping happily once again and singing to himself. “Where would he go?” Sirius muttered to himself as he walked along the road.

Sirius felt cursed by failure. "Seven years, seven years I could find him anytime I pleased, and NOW I have no clue where he is. He's here somewhere, he has to be. But if he's not in the Three Broomsticks, then where--" Suddenly it came to him. “Of course…” The one place no one would think to look for him in. With a grim smile, Sirius turned around onto one of the more obscure paths of Hogsmeade.