Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Making Things Better by Slytherin101

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Sydney climbed off the Hogwarts Express, her Ravenclaw robes on and her faded blonde hair hanging down in front of her. No one seemed to notice her as she walked to the carriages that took them to Hogwarts castle. She got the whole carriage to herself.
While in the carriage, Sydney took out the tattered doll she kept in her robes. She just looked at it with woe and misery. She carried it everywhere she went, at least she tried to. It was her only friend, and it was the only thing she had left of her parents. But what she didn’t understand was, why did they give it to her? Why couldn’t they just destroy it?
The night sky was completely black, besides the shiny white stars that glittered over the lake. Sydney watched the first years sail in the boats with Rubeus Hagrid, the grounds keeper and teacher of Care of Magical Creatures. She remembered being a first year, and yet, she remembered the first day she got her letter. She remembered the excitement of getting out of that horrid orphanage for a good ten-in-a-half months, coming home for just the summer.
The carriages reached Hogwarts. Sydney stuffed the doll back into her robes, climbed off the carriage and started immediately for the Great Hall, her head down and her faded blonde hair falling in her face again. She was so saddened that it was her last year.
Should I make the best of it? Sydney asked herself while walking to the Great Hall. It is your last year, why not enjoy it and become part of a group or something? Sydney shrugged to herself and she walked through the giant double doors to the Great Hall.
Sydney was the first one at the Ravenclaw table. There were other students at the Gryffindor, Hufflepuff and Slytherin tables, all chatting amongst themselves.
Should I go join a group? Sydney asked herself again. But, what if they don’t like me? What if they laugh at me or rudely reject me or…ignore me? Sydney sighed and just sat at her own table, not taking any chances at all to making new friends. What was the point? What was the point if everybody already ignored her?
Soon, the rest of the Ravenclaws, along with the Gryffindors, Hufflepuffs and Slytherins, came in through the double doors and sat at their tables. After they arrived, the first years came through, all traveling behind Nymphadora Tonks, the Transfiguration teacher. Sydney sat still, watching the frightened and excited first years get Sorted into their House.
After the last student was Sorted, Professor McGonagall, Headmistress of Hogwarts, said a couple of words:
“I would like to first welcome all of you to, and back if returning, Hogwarts. Now, just a couple reminders: As we all know, the Forbidden Forest is strictly forbidden, hence the name Forbidden Forest, as always. And there will also be no magic-foolery in the corridors,” she said, looking directly at specific people. “There will be no need to wander the school at night. And also, the Graduation Ball will be on June twenty-fourth.” The seventh years cheered. Sydney, however, was silent. “More information on that will be posted on the Notice Board.
“Now, let the feast…begin.” And the five tables, including the teachers’ table, filled with food of all kind and everyone dug in.
Sydney shyly picked up a slice of turkey and began cutting it into little pieces for herself. Her head still hung down and her hair still in her face. No one seemed to notice her though.
You need to make the best of your year! Sydney said to herself.
I know, but I don’t know how! she replied. She sighed silently as she consumed the microscopic piece of turkey she put in her mouth.
When the students were allowed to be excused from the Great Hall, Sydney was one of the first to leave. She quickly walked through the empty corridor to Ravenclaw Tower, which was in the west side of the castle.
When Sydney arrived there, she was the only one. She sighed and plopped into a fancy dark blue armchair that was in front of the neatly lit fire.
The first years will be coming soon. Might as well head up to your dorm, thought Sydney.
The next morning, Sydney walked down the corridor. There was a nice, cool September breeze blowing. The trees had lost some of their brownish leaves onto the ground. She remembered when she first saw her way around the school, when she met her new friends and when she went to her classes for the first time and meeting her teachers. She loved her classes and she loved her teachers (except, well, maybe not Professor Snape). But now, class meant nothing to her and she never felt the same affection for teachers. She sort of had a hatred for them.
Sydney giggled amongst her friends. A really kind second year, who had shown her around the school, and her friend, who had told Sydney about all the ‘cool’ and ‘uncool’ people at Hogwarts, were walking down the corridor to lunch. It was the middle of March and the trees outside were blooming apple blossoms. Sydney loved her new friends. They were both really kind and smart.
“So, Sydney, what class do you have after this?” asked Cho Chang. She had long, gleaming black hair pulled together in a half-ponytail. Cho was also in Ravenclaw, yet she was one year older than Sydney.
Sydney took out her schedule from her robes pocket.
“Uhh…Potions with Snape,” she sighed. “Potions is okay I guess, but Snape is just the worst.”
“Yeah, he is,” said Sydney’s other friend, Marietta Edgecomb. She had medium-length brown hair, which was tied up in a ponytail with a blue ribbon. “Pity.”
“Well, think of the best; she likes the class,” shrugged Cho. Sydney nodded in agreement. Cho always looked on the bright side. “And,” she continued, “if she likes the class, that means she’s pretty good at it, right Sydney?” Sydney nodded again.
“Yeah…yeah, I guess I am.” Sydney lightened up. “You’re right, Cho! Thanks!” Cho smiled at Sydney.
“Any time,” Cho said, in a friendly manner.
Cho Chang was one of Sydney’s closest friends. She was always there for Sydney. Whether she was feeling down, or stuck with some homework, Cho was there to help her out.
And, with Cho being Sydney’s friend, Sydney had become part of that “popular crowd.” She was introduced by Cho to all of Cho’s friends. Sydney got along with them well and the more friends she made, the more popular she got. And Sydney became loving school more and more.

Sydney became so appealed into her daydream that she did not realize she had run into someone.
Sydney immediately looked down without even looking at who it was she ran into. She didn’t apologize, but kept walking. She was so embarrassed and imagined what she looked like back there. She then noticed that a strand or two of the doll’s red yarn hair was sticking out of her pocket. Immediately, Sydney stuffed it back in and walked away even faster.