Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Persona by dreamwriter

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: This is my first fic here in mugglenet...and i know that things haven't been all right lately between the harmony and heron shippers.. well here goes...i'm a harmony shipper...but i don't have anything against other pairings. So please don't flame me. It's just I've been supporting this pairing for so long that I can't imagine myself doing it for another. But I give JK Rowling two thums up for writing awesome books...To all the harmony shippers...i give you my best...stay strong and don't take things seriously...

An old man of about fifty years tediously emerged from within the narrow hall of the staff’s quarters. Having ensured he had said the lot needed for his daily reminders, he made his way up the staircase that led to the balcony of the manor to check that everything and everyone was in their proper place just in case something new would happen that misty morning and their services would be needed.

Charles Hudson was the mansion’s resident butler. He was strong for his age but his heart felt heavy as he passed by the window and noticed that outside of the fine walls of the manor, the scenery had gone from a vibrant path of blooms and shades to just wide asphalt covered with snow. Suddenly, a rush of biting coldness hit the morning air and the shiver that came next reminded him that November was nearing. Where had all the time gone? The view was shifting, the months passing, yet nothing seemed to be changing within.

Godric’s Hollow was still untaken, lifeless and quiet. To him, it was slowly becoming what he had feared the moment its former occupants left: abandoned. Half a year ago, a barrister had called upon the lord of the manor, Vernon Dursley. After a few rough visits and unwarranted conversations, the solicitor finally managed to have the owners pay the penalty for the estate, surrender their property, and leave without protests.

Hudson, having been with the Dursleys of Surrey for nearly two decades, was not sorry to see them leave. That was to say, they had not been the kindest employers, and it was not distressing to have the family relinquish their control. Still, their leaving had cost him. Having no employers also meant losing his employment, he realized.

However, there must be someone up there who loved him thoroughly, for as soon as he became aware of this setback; there came a new proposition. This new setting left him with the same responsibilities; the only difference was he would be without an employer to attend to. The solicitor instructed him to continue with household duties while waiting for the new owner of Godric’s Hollow.

It had been nearly six months since that very day, but the moment that he would finally set his eyes on his new attendee seemed to be everywhere but near. He chuckled wryly. No employer for half a year yet he was receiving blunt, better than the one he received from the Dursleys. He did not have complaints regarding the matter, but having nobody to address seemed useless, especially if that field was something inculcated in his profession.
After what seemed like a decade, Hudson finally moved from where he was standing and continued up even more stairs to the private gallery overlooking the gardens. He was about to enter the drawing room when a sound pounded from the northern entrance. Swiftly turning around as much as his age could manage, he made his way down again and barely had time to think of a coherent thought before the footman--- Alan Taylor, a young man whom he’d just hired---opened the door and in came striding a tall man with kempt long black hair and eyes that narrowed into slits as he began scouring the entire first floor with his gaze. He wore snug brown buckskins partially covered by a dark greatcoat. Behind him followed a much younger man, probably in his twenties with unruly black hair and untidy clothing, which looked to Hudson like shredded bombazine.

“Excuse me, gentlemen, but what is your business in this manor?” Hudson started forward, alarmed and cautious at the same time. Yet there was small vinyl of hope churning inside him, wanting the older of these two to be his next master, approving immediately of attire and stance.

As if seeing for the first time their lack of privacy, the older one stepped forward and addressed him quite respectfully for someone who was of nobility. “My good man, how has Godric’s Hollow fared for the past few months?”

Hudson cleared his throat and his mind before answering. “Forgive me, my lord, but I am forbidden to discuss the state to a stranger.” He looked at him with regret.

“And who told you that?” The question was not biting nor did it hold any tone of irritation. In fact, it held somewhat a tinge of amusement and delight.

“The barrister who had called upon the former lord of the manor, my lord.”

“By chance does the solicitor’s name happen to be Remus Lupin?”

“Why, yes, sir. How did you know?” Hudson’s voice expressed so much enthusiasm at the prospect that the gentleman in front of him might be his new employer that the younger one muffled a laugh despite his lack of decent apparel. Before he could control himself, Hudson’s gaze swept audaciously from the older gentleman and onto the poor apparent state of his companion, deliberately showing his contempt with a wry smile.

Hudson may be a loyal servant, yet when it came to scruffy grooms and prospect servants who do not bother to cover their bodies with decent clothing, he could be quite spiteful.

Completely oblivious to the tension within the old butler’s nerves, the gentleman he favored introduced himself. “I came here to give you what my good friend Remus had promised months ago. Let me introduce myself properly. I am Sirius Black. And…”

But his enthusiasm could not make him stay put a little longer and Hudson bowed before Sirius could finish the sentence. “I am at your disposal, your grace.”

Sirius looked surprised at first, then his eyes sparkled and his lips curved into an amused grin. “What is your name?”

Positively beaming, he bowed again. “Hudson. Charles Hudson, your grace.”

Sirius stepped forward and placed his arm around Hudson’s shoulder. “Well, Hudson. As much as I would like you to be attending to me, I’m afraid you are not at my disposal.”

“W-what? But, my lord, you said…”

“I did say Remus had promised you an employer and I am here to give him to you.” He said, purposefully turning him around, leading him somewhat towards his companion who had been exploring the paintings of the original dwellers of the place, the Duke and Duchess of Godric’s Hollow, Lord James and Lady Lily Potter. Hudson wrinkled his nose at the sight of the disheveled boy. He was too busy disapproving of the young man’s attitude and appearance that it took him awhile to register that Sirius Black had introduced the boy to him. Hudson only caught his last words, but that was enough to have him at loss for words.

“The Duke of Godric’s Hollow, Lord Harry James Potter…”