Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Natalie Smith by SimplyCharmed

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Prologue





Natalie Smith was always aware of the strange things she was capable of. She wasn't very surprised when she got her acceptance letter to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry on her eleventh birthday, July sixth. When she was seven years old, her cousin tried to stuff her head down a toilet, (they were not exactly the best of friends) and her cousin ended up having his head stuffed down the thing. Once again when she was nine, she grew upset that another girl won the first place trophy for a coloring contest, so ink just suddenly appeared on the other girl's picture, earning Natalie first place and a nice big gold trophy.



Natalie's parents were not as opening to her magical powers as she was. They had no magical blood running through their veins; they were what magical folk would call "Muggles". Apparently, Natalie was a Muggle-born, a witch or wizard born to Muggle parents. How did she know this scrap of information? A strange man with a long beard, half-moon glasses, and twinkling blue eyes appeared on the Smith's doorstep, hand delivering the Hogwarts acceptance letter. This man was Albus Dumbledore, headmaster of Hogwarts. He told Natalie and her parents all about the wizarding world and how they were forced to operate in secret away from the Muggles. According to the look they gave Dumbledore, they thought he was an old fool that should get a brain scan and a hair-cut. Showing them how easily he turned their lamp into a turtle with a flick of his wand, they finally believed him.



Dumbledore told the Smiths exactly how to get to Diagon Alley, where Natalie could buy her school equipment. He also gave them a small pouch full of gold Galleons, silver Sickles, and bronze Knuts, wizarding money needed to purchase supplies. Dumbledore told them right before he left that a wizard would be waiting for them at the entrance of Diagon Alley, ready to open the gateway for Natalie. He soon bid them goodbye and disappeared with a loud pop!



Two days later Natalie and her parents were standing in front of a run-down looking shop that seemed to have closed down.



Mrs. Smith looked doubtful. "Might we be in the wrong place?"



Her husband shook his head. "No," he answered. "Dubblydoo-whatever his name is- said that this was the place."



Natalie walked up to the glass window and stared in. Her bright blue eyes and blond hair were reflected in the window. She closed her eyes and started breathing slowly. The boarded up door suddenly sprang open, the wood blocking it disappearing in thin air. Mrs. Smith gasped and fainted-though she was still awake-, falling into her husband's arms and gently fanning herself with her hand. Natalie and her father helped her back up on her feet. They took deep breaths and walked in.



They found themselves on the ground floor of some sort of inn. It was obviously magical, hence the dishes cleaning themselves, chairs pulling themselves out whenever someone sat down, and the occasional cup of tea stirring itself. The barman, who was cleaning a mug with a rag, looked over at them.



"I'm Tom," he said gruffly, putting down the mug and holding out his hand. "I 'spose you're the Smiths?"



Mr. Smith nodded and shook Tom's hand. "I suppose you are... a wizard?"



Tom the barman laughed deeply. "That's me." Natalie slowly edged away from her parents, looking around. She spotted a woman with a veil over her face who had a plate of raw meat set out in front of her. Making a face, Natalie saw a group of little creatures that were hideous. Goblins, she thought to herself. Making her way back to her parents, she heard the barman say, "To the back. That's where Diagon Alley is." He walked out from behind the counter and led them down a corridor with a door at the end. Opening the door, they noticed that they had reached a dead end.



Seeing their puzzled looks, Tom laughed. Taking out his wand, he tapped the bricks in a sequence and there was a rumbling noise. The bricks started repositioning themselved and soon there was a gateway, right dead center of the brick wall. Tom said goobye and then left, leaving the family to find their place around. Natalie pulled the money pouch out of her jacket pocket and pointed towards a shop called Ollivander's. "Let's go get my magic wand!"