Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

On Boundary Lines by BloodRayne

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
I'd like to thank my beta, violeteyes, for her great work!

________________________


They say the Chamber of Secrets has been opened. The monster inside slithers around, petrifying Muggle-borns and half-bloods that are wandering the halls. I don’t want to admit that I’m scared, but I am. I’m one of those Muggle-borns wandering around.

***


There’s talk. They say that Hogwarts might close. I don’t like to listen to this. I don’t want to think about what would happen to me if the school closes. I would go back to living as a Muggle, which would be impossible with my knowledge of the magical world.

Classes go on as usual, except now more security measures are being taken. For example, teachers now have to take us from class to class; no more walking alone in the hallways. Everybody’s nerves are stressed, including mine.

***


I don’t know much about this “Chamber of Secrets.” I don’t know who to ask except Draco Malfoy, who has come to tolerate me. In his words, I’m a Muggle-born, but I’m still a Slytherin, and he says he spares his pride by not informing anyone of my blood status. Indeed, it is only Draco who knows of my Muggle heritage. He has warned me that revealing such a matter would have me ostracized, so I chose to avoid such troubles.

“Well,” starts Draco, munching on an apple. “My father has told me that the Chamber of Secrets was opened fifty years ago. But that time, a Mudblood died. Personally, I hope it’s Granger.” He sticks his two front teeth out, raises his hand, and jumps up and down.

I have no idea what he has against Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley, and Harry Potter. From what I can see, they have never done anything to him. It’s usually Draco who provokes them.

“Does this chamber open by itself or does someone have to open it?” I ask.

“Only the Heir of Slytherin can control the beast inside,” Draco replies matter-of-factly.

“Some people think Harry Potter is the heir of Slytherin,” I dare to say.

Draco snorts. “Oh, for Pete’s sake. Saint Potter, the Heir of Slytherin?”

“Who is it then?”

“I don’t know. I wish I did, though.” He takes another bite of his apple. “I could help them,” he says with a full mouth.

“Well, who opened the Chamber the last time?” I ask impatiently.

“Dunno,” he answers. “But whoever it was got expelled. I expect they’re still in Azkaban.”

“What’s Azkaban?” I ask, confused.

“Wizard prison,” he says promptly.

Suddenly, we hear Professor McGonagall’s magically magnified voice say, “All students return to their House common rooms at once. All teachers to the staff room. Immediately, please.”

“Has there been another attack?” I ask, startled.

“Probably,” says Draco calmly, still eating his apple.

“Professor McGonagall sounded really, really serious, though,” I say worriedly.

“Doesn’t she always?”

About ten minutes later, Professor Snape walks into the Slytherin common room. “Am I to assume everyone is here?” he says with raised eyebrows.

I nod along with Draco and everyone else.

“Is this about Professor McGonagall’s announcement?” I inquire.

Professor Snape looks at me. “Yes, it is.” He looks around. “A girl has been taken into the Chamber of Secrets," he announces. Gasps fill the room.

“Who?” A first-year girl asks.

“Ginny Weasley.”

“Ha,” Draco whispers softly.

“But that Weasley girl is a pureblood,” says Pansy Parkinson, a dark-haired girl who shares my dormitory.

“Are we to question the actions of a deranged murderer? Furthermore,” he continues softly, “this means that Hogwarts will indeed be closed. The Hogwarts Express will take you home tomorrow morning, so I suggest you start packing.” With that, he turns and leaves.

I feel as if something is stuck in my throat. I am finding it hard to breathe properly. Everyone around me is shocked as well; people talking in loud voices, disbelievingly. I walk slowly up to my dormitory, leaving the racket below. I sit slowly down on my bed, looking at my trunk. There is really nothing that needs to be packed. Whenever I take something out of my trunk, I always put it back where it belongs. But even if I did have to pack, I don’t think I could have faced it. I am not going to close my trunk or change into pajamas. I am going to stay up till morning. Something will happen. I know it. Something has to happen. Hogwarts cannot close.

***


At about two or so in the morning, we are called down for a feast. At first I think it is sort of a farewell feast, but when I see Dumbledore at his usual place at the staff table, along with all the other teachers, looking down on us happily, I know something wonderful has happened. Dumbledore explains about Tom Riddle’s diary, how it had possessed Ginny Weasley, and how Harry Potter had fought the Basilisk and rescued Ginny. I cheer alongside the others. However, Harry’s little heroic adventure earned him and Ron Weasley four hundred points for Gryffindor. They win the House Cup for the second year in a row.