Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Investigations of Luna Lovegood by TopToasterGryffies

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: This chapter was written by solemnlyswear_x of Gryffindor house.
For Luna Lovegood, it was a long thestral-ride to the castle.

The entire time she was in the carriage with her friends, she leaned against the window, her blue eyes trying to spot the castle in the distance. She desperately wanted to be in the Great Hall, so she could tell her fellow Ravenclaws the news about her picture; Luna knew that they would want to see the photograph of the Crumple-Horned Snorkack.

I know they’ll want to see it. It’s such a lovely picture.

After what seemed like ages, they arrived at Hogwarts. Checking that her picture was tucked safely in her robe pocket, Luna climbed down from the carriage. As the group of friends made their way through the wooden doors and into the Great Hall, Luna and Hermione accidentally collided, knocking Luna to the ground. After giving her friend a rushed apology, Hermione stood up and sped off towards the Gryffindor table, looking frazzled from the impact. Luna picked herself up off the floor, and began walking towards the Great hall, smoothing her robes down as she did so. She carefully tucked a strand of wayward, dirty blond hair behind her ear as she observed the room.

The Great Hall was bustling with activity. Students were chatting amiably amongst themselves, and Dumbledore looked to be having a lively conversation with Professor McGonagall. Luna made her way towards the Ravenclaw table as the other returning students were doing the same.

The first years however, were standing in a long line behind Professor McGonagall. The latter had a stool right in front of her, and on the stool was an old, ratty hat.

Luna sat down at the table and serenely watched the younger students. There was a rather pregnant paused where everyone locked their gaze onto the hat, waiting for it to initiate the Sorting Ceremony. And then…

“Beautiful I may not be,
But intelligence I contain,
I warn you when you put me on-
Don’t treat me with disdain.

For I am the Sorting Hat,
Dirty, worn, but smart,
I’ll look inside your brain and see,
What things set you apart.

The places I might put you,
Are the Houses four,
But no matter where you find yourself,
It most surely will not bore.

You might find your home in Gryffindor,
Where breathe the brave and strong.
Among these daring students,
You’ll find that you belong.

It may be you go to Hufflepuff,
Where the gentle and loyal reside,
For in no other house will you see,
The kindness by which they abide.

Ravenclaw is the place,
For those with brains and wit,
If learning is your favorite thing,
Then this house is a perfect fit.

Slytherin is the final of four,
For anyone with ambition,
Those with cunning and slyness,
Are put here by tradition.

So place my brim atop your head,
And I will find your place,
For the Sorting Hat knows where all belong,
And you’re no special case.”


As soon as the Sorting Hat finished its song, the Great Hall rang with applause, Luna clapping as loudly as she could.

Such a talented hat, she thought happily.

“The sorting will now begin. First years, please come forward once I call your name,” called Professor McGonagall, thoroughly used to the hat bursting out in song. The first years, however, were not quite used to singing hats, and all held identical looks of trepidation as they gazed at the item that would select their house.

Luna remembered the day that she had been sorted into Ravenclaw, wearing her Butterbeer-cork necklace, along with her radish earrings. She watched the eleven- year-olds as they were sorted into houses, with an expression of vague interest. Each time a student became a Ravenclaw, she couldn’t help but think that it was another person to show her picture to.

When the Sorting was finally over, a great hush fell over the Hall as Albus Dumbledore stood up. “Welcome, to a new year at Hogwarts. I hope everyone had an enjoyable summer. I certainly did, having found a picture I had lost some time ago. It was a-” Dumbledore abruptly came to a stop at a quelling glance from Professor McGonagall. He smiled slightly, and cleared his throat. “Perhaps now is not the time. Well, for some of you, this is your final Welcoming Feast, and for some of you it is your first. But no matter if you are old or new, I would think that you all have one thing on your mind. So please, dig in!”

The students applauded gratefully, as they watched the food appear on the plates.

Luna ate her meal with great gusto, pausing every once in a while to tell someone else about her summer.

“I had a wonderful time in Sweden,” she told Anna Zeller happily. “Dad and I found a picture of the Crumple-Horned Snorkack.”

Anna, having shared a dorm with Luna for a few years now, was apparently used to Luna’s obsession with absurd creatures, and told Luna she was very glad to hear that.

Everyone’s so excited already, Luna thought. Now, if only Hermione could be this happy about my proof. Maybe I should show her the picture again…

Luna decided that she would indeed show Hermione the picture as soon as the feast ended. Having already finished her dinner, she waited patiently for the meal to end, humming softly to herself to pass the time.

Finally, Dumbledore dismissed the students, suggesting merrily that they head off to bed. Instead of following the Headmaster’s advice, Luna set off to find Harry, Hermione, and Ron. She caught up with them right outside the Great Hall.

“Hi, Luna,” Harry called as she neared the trio.

“Hello,” she replied, not looking at Harry, but at Hermione. “I was wondering, Hermione, if you would like to see my picture again?”

“Okay, Luna,” Hermione said, a slightly strained smile appearing on her face.

Luna plunged her hand into her robe pocket looking extremely excited. “Harry, you and Ron are welcome to look a-.”

She stopped mid-sentence, her blue eyes widening.

“Something wrong?” Ron asked, eyeing Luna with a look of concern.

“I can’t find my picture!” she said, looking devastated.

“Do you know when you had it last?” Harry questioned.

“I know I had it when I got into the carriage, so maybe I left it in the Great Hall.” Not waiting for a reply, Luna turned on her heel, and hurried back into the hall.

She returned a few moments later, looking more upset than before. “I can’t find it anywhere.”

“I’m sure it will turn up soon,” Harry said bracingly. “It’s got to be around here somewhere.”

“I think someone took it,” Luna said suddenly, remembering what Dumbledore had said about finding a picture in his speech. She wondered if he had anything to do with her missing photo. “I need to go write to Dad and let him know it’s been stolen.”

Luna left her three friends standing outside the Great Hall, looking slightly confused.

“Who would want a picture of a Crumpled-Horned Snork-Thingy?” Ron wondered aloud.

“I’m not sure. It’s bound to turn up, though” Hermione said briskly. “I’m going to head off to my dormitory; I’m exhausted. Are you all coming?”

Harry nodded. “Yeah.” He began to walk away with Ron and Hermione before adding, “I hope Luna finds her picture.”