Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Investigations of Luna Lovegood by TopToasterGryffies

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: This chapter was written by HarryPotter is my LIFE of Gryffindor house.
Chapter Four - Caught

“I suppose so.” Anna seemed curious as to why Luna needed to borrow her clothing, but was obviously not anticipating what Luna was going to use them for.

The climbed the flight of stairs to their dormitory where Anna invited Luna to look through her truck.

“Oh, and I’ll need your glasses,” said Luna, as she rummaged through Anna’s clothing.

“Well, I need my glasses to see,” Anna pointed out, though she seemed quite uncomfortable turning Luna down. “Would you like me to ask James? He has them, but he doesn’t really need them.”

“Sure, sure.” Luna was rather distracted as she extracted a bright pink cloak and thirty-two centimeter red top hat that clashed terribly.

Anna dashed out of the room as Luna stood up and walked over to the mirror, dragging the cloak on the floor as she did.

She draped the cloak on her shoulders and put the hat atop her head. Luna frowned at her reflection in the slightly cloudy mirror. She looked around the room and spotted a short, jet black wig sitting on a styrofoam head.

At the moment, Anna burst back into the room clutching a pair of turquoise rimmed glasses in her hands.

Luna turned to her panting friend. “Do you think Alice would mind if I borrowed her wig?”

When Luna emerged in the Ravenclaw common room a few minutes later, most of its inhabitants burst into laughter. Some were too stunned to let their laugh loose, and others were just too kind. Luna skipped out into the corridor, her straggly blond hair tied up in a tight bun so that the long auburn wig that she kept handy in her trunk would fit under Alice’s short black one.

Rather than on her head, Anna’s red top hate had a string through it and was tied around her waist, which was hidden by the shapeless, wool, pink cloak that Luna had borrowed from her head. On her feet, the giant, rainbow-laced trainers squeaked as she excitedly skipped towards Gryffindor common room. Well, tried to skip, anyway. Luna kept tripping over the cloak.

To the skimming, non-critical eye, Luna was unrecognizable. Especially with her cloudy blue eyes obstructed by the attention grabbing glasses.

Luna came to a stop in front of the portrait of the Fat Lady.

“Password?”

Luna pondered for a moment, a quizzical expression on her face. “Wrackspurt?”

“No, I’m sorry.” The Fat Lady turned her attention away from Luna and back to her friend Violet who was getting quite impatient. Luna shrugged, not even slightly discouraged.

Luna shivered slightly a while later as the air inside the castle cooled. Luna was just about to give up, after having persisting in her quest for the password when Neville came walking towards his her.

Luna’s face brightened immediately. She knew she had a chance to get into Gryffindor common room.

Luna stepped into the Gryffindor common room ten minutes later, Neville walking shyly behind her. It had taken Luna a while to coax Neville into letting her in, but he caved in the end.

The previously booming room became dead silent. Everybody turned towards the person who had just stepped into the room. Most either could tell that it was silly, Loony Luna again, or at least speculated it. A few others were either ignorant, or really couldn’t tell who it was under all the hats.

“Neville, where are the boys dormitories? This is nothing like the Ravenclaw common room; for one, it’s much noisier. Though I rather like it like this.” Luna was full ready to explain, in detail, the Ravenclaw common room, but Neville seemed to sense it and quickly pointed to the staircase.

“Thank you very much.” As Luna clomped towards the staircase, she became full aware of the snickering throughout the room. But she took it that they were laughing at something else, possibly a poor little first year had just gotten bit by a Flying Wingding.

As she unsteadily climbed the spiral staircase to the boy’s dormitory, she became aware that they spilt off. Luna took a left, hoping that it would lead her to the boys. Though, if it didn’t she could always turn back. And, maybe she’d find a nest of the Flying Wingdings she was so sure had begun to breed in the Gryffindor common room.

She found the door that read, ‘Sixth Years,’ and barged in, not even thinking about what she could walk in to.

Luckily for Luna, only one person was in the dormitory, and it was Lavender.

Oh, wrackspurt! I’ve got the wrong dormitory. Luna cursed herself for picking the wrong staircase, and was just about the leave the dormitory when Lavender looked up from the book she was reading.

Upon first site of Luna, she let out a tiny girlish screech and scuttled backwards on her bed. “Who are you, and what do you want with me?!”

Luna wanted to chuckle, but she felt that it might embarrass Lavender a bit. “It’s Luna Lovegood, don’t you remember me?”

Lavender’s eyes widened for a moment, in shock, or possibly anger. “Yes, of course I do. How could someone ever forget you?”

Luna smiled calmly and took Lavender’s comment as a compliment, even though it hadn’t been intended as one.

Lavender’s eyes searched the room. “So, why is it exactly that you’re here?”

“Well, actually I was looking for Ronald’s room. Do you know where that is?”

“Er.” Lavender was speechless after Luna’s question. About a million things were running through her mind at the moment, but number one was, Why in the world does Luna want to see Ron’s room?

“Wrackspurt got your tongue?” Luna seemed very concerned about Lavender. “It ruined my chance to go on a quest with my father. He wanted to be sure I could resist all the different types of creatures, and at the last moment I got attacked by a Wrackspurt. It really wasn’t very good timing.”

All Lavender could do was stare; and when it appeared that she had no intent to do otherwise, Luna was ready to leave and go find Ron’s room. Abruptly, the door opened.

Luna turned her head violently and saw Hermione standing there. The wigs flew off her head and Hermione cried, “Luna!”

“Hello, Hermione, how are you? Are you well? Oh, do be careful, I think there are a few Wrackspurts floating around in here.”