Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Investigations of Luna Lovegood by TopToasterGryffies

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: This last chapter was written by sayiansirius of Gryffindor house. Thank you for reading
Hermione didn’t know what to do. She stared, wide eyed, at the sight. Luna Lovegood, member of Ravenclaw house, was in their common room, wearing numerous layers of clothes under her cloak and ridiculous shoes, Hermione might add. She looked Luna up and down twice before closing her mouth. She tried to speak once more but no words came out. Luna beamed at her, bent down, and picked up the wigs that fell.

As Luna turned back towards Hermione, her expression turned into amazement. She lunged towards Hermione, the wigs falling out of her hand. Hermione, startled, tried to move out of the way but tripped over her cloak, and landed on the floor with a loud thud. Luna also landed on the floor and let out a maniacal laugh. She stood up and raised her right hand, fist clenched tight.

“Just caught it! It was about to fly into your mouth. I told you to close it. They’re really dangerous, these Wrackspurts,” she smiled again and her dropped whatever she was holding, if there was something really there, into her pocket.

“Are you out of your mind?” Hermione finally let out the question she’d wanted to ask all along.

“Personally, I don’t think so. Although there’s been a few times when the Lackstealers father discovered this summer stole my mind. But they kindly returned it. Thanks for asking,” replied Luna.

Hermione let out a whimper as Lavender went into fits of laughter.

“How did you get in here?” asked Hermione.

“Neville Longbottom. Very nice boy. He let me in,” said Luna sitting down on Hermione’s bed. Hermione huffed. She closed her eyes, let out a calming breath, then continued.

“What are you doing in Gryffindor Tower anyway?”

“Going to get my picture from Ronald,” replied Luna jumping up immediately as if she forgot what she was there for.

“Picture?” asked Hermione confused. After a few seconds, her face lightened and she let out a nervous laugh. “That silly…I mean…the picture of the Wrinkle-toed Snorelax?”

Luna frowned a bit and she muttered, “Yea, the Crumple-Horned Snorkack. I think Ronald took it. Professor Dumbledore already said he didn’t.”

“You asked Dumbledore?!” Hermione shrieked. “This is getting out of hand, Luna. Can’t you just forget about the picture? Tell your dad to find another for you.”

“It’s not…” started Luna.

“I’m sorry, Luna but I must take action. Entering another house’s tower is strictly prohibited. I’m sorry but this means detention. I’ll let Mr. Filch know that you will be helping him clean the trophy room.”

Luna’s eyes widened and they showed sadness. Her head dropped and she muttered, “sorry.” Hermione and Lavender watched as she picked up the wigs and walked towards the door. As she was leaving the dormitory, she hit the wall really hard, causing the two other girls to jump. Luna let out a big smile.

“Just caught another one,” she said in a sing-song voice. “Wrackspurt, oh wrackspurt, you fly about…” she sang as she walked down the stairs.

“Don’t you think you were too hard on her, Hermione? I mean, she IS Luna,” said Lavender.

“No, as a matter in fact, I don’t,” retorted Hermione rather harshly.

Still singing her song and prancing, Luna made her way out of Gryffindor tower. Or well, at least tried to find the exit. She descended the stairs, opened a door, and walked in. Ron, who was had nothing on but boxers and was attempting to put on his trousers, stared wide-eyed at her. Luna smiled at him. Ron fumbled with his trousers and landed on the floor.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN HERE, LUNA?!”

“I was looking for a way out,” she replied dreamily. “You most certainly have a nice room. No Wrackspurts floating around.” Ron started dumbstruck at her. She gave him a small wave and exited the dormitory, closing the door behind her.
*~*~*~*

Detention with Filch felt like a detention for him instead of for Luna. She was enjoying herself cleaning the trophy room. He watched her prance around the trophies, singing to the top of her lungs, with a disgusted look on his face.

“I said no singing!” he barked at her. She looked at him, shrugged, and started to whistle. Filch let out an irritated roar.

“Singing and humming makes the fuzzy little bunnies in the air leave, don’t you know that, Mr. Filch. Can I call you Filch instead, sir? Everyone else does,” asked Luna kindly. Filch’s eyes narrowed dangerously.

“I think that’s a yes,” replied Luna happily. She skipped over to the last set of trophies. She took the cloth that she was using off her head, blew on the trophy, and wiped it vigorously. “I have to make sure all the Wrackspurts and Lackstealers that hide on these are all gone.”

Filch paced as she finished the last table of trophies then she skipped over to him, tossing him the cloth.

“You don’t have to thank me. I rather enjoyed myself. Bye, Filchy!” she sang as she left the trophy room, dusting herself off and singing. Filch snarled as she left.

As Luna made her way to their common room, she figured that she should apologize to Hermione for helping herself into their dormitory. She should have asked first. So realizing that, she made her way to Gryffindor tower again. As she neared it, her eye caught a room whose door was slightly open, revealing a flickering flame.

Full of curiosity, Luna slowly pushed open the door. A bushy haired girl sat at a desk, her back to the door. She held up her wand, which had a bright flame at the tip, and held up what seemed to be a piece of paper in her other hand. As she brought the flame to the paper, Luna realized who it was.

“Hermione?” asked Luna. Startled, Hermione turned around, gasped, and nearly fell off the seat as she tried to hide the paper behind her. “Why has everyone been falling lately?”

“Maybe because you’ve been showing up unexpectedly,” snapped Hermione. “What are you doing here?”

“I came to find you so I could apologize for going into the Gryffindor tower without permission,” replied Luna smiling at her.

“Oh…” Hermione blinked. “Er, apology accepted. You can go now.” She smiled.
“What is that you're holding behind you?”

Luna laughed. “Well it has to be something if you’re hiding it. Let me see it,” she moved towards Hermione. Hermione stumbled backwards and the paper flew out of her hand. She made for it but Luna pulled out her wand, realizing what it was.

“Accio picture!” said Luna sharply. The picture soared out of the tips of Hermione’s finger and to Luna. “Why do you have this?”

“Er…I found it. I was coming to give it back,” replied Hermione blushing.

“No you weren’t,” snapped Luna coldly. Her dreamy voice was gone. “You were going to burn it. You were the one who stole it all along. Why?”

“Because I didn’t want to be wrong. Do you know how many people I told that the Short-Toed…”

“Crumple-Horned-Snorkack!”

“Yeah…that. I told everyone you were lying. I didn’t want to be proven wrong by you. Or simply by anyone else so I had to result to any measures. I’m sorry.”

“Even if it meant hurting someone?” Luna said sadly, her eyes tearing up.

“I’m really sorry, Luna,” said Hermione walking towards her. “I just didn’t believe you. I promise it won’t happen again.”

Luna’s face brightened.

“I love promises,” she said. Hermione chuckled.

“That’s good,” replied Hermione giving Luna a hug. “We should get going now. It’s almost dinner time. I’ll walk with you.”

They exited the room to see the corridor full of students. As they made their way down to the great hall, bumping into students, Luna saw Harry.

“Hermione, let’s show Harry!” cried Luna turning to her; Hermione was gone. Luna shrugged and called Harry’s name. Harry turned towards her and smiled.

“Hi, Luna,” said Harry.

“Look what I found!” cried Luna shoving her hands in her pockets. Her smile faded from her face as she searched all of her pockets for the picture. “Oh, no! I just had it.”

“Had what?” asked Harry.

“The picture. The picture of the Crumple-Horned-Snorkack. I found it,” Luna turned around and searched for a bushy head. When she didn’t see one, she groaned.

“That darn Hermione.”