Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Honor by Sly Severus

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: I do not own these characters or anything in their magical world. These characters and their world belong to the talented J.K. Rowling and Warner Bros.




Narcissa Malfoy paced around her living room, while her sister sat sipping a glass of Lucius’ finest wine. Narcissa looked as though she was about to jump out of her skin, and Bellatrix as though she was enjoying a luxurious vacation. Even in mood, the sisters were polar opposites.

“Would you please sit down, Cissy?” Bellatrix requested smoothly. “You’re making me dizzy.”

“The wine is making you dizzy, Bella. You’re on the second bottle. Lucius will not be impressed when he gets home and you have cleaned out his wine cellar. And I can’t believe you’re not worried. Do you know something I don’t? Do you know why the Dark Lord wanted to see Draco?”

“I assure you, if I had any insights on that matter I would share them with you. I don’t enjoy seeing you so scared.”

“Why shouldn’t I be scared? Lucius is gone”tossed into Azkaban. Merlin knows when I’ll see him again. Lucius was sent to prison because he served the Dark Lord. And now my son is meeting with him. What if Draco faces the same fate as his father, or worse?”

For the first time since she arrived, Bellatrix sat down the glass of wine she had been sipping and gave her sister her full attention. “Cissy, you knew the day would come when our lord would want Draco. He’s young and strong. He’s a Black and a Malfoy. Our lord was bound to see his potential. You shouldn’t be afraid for him. You should be proud of him. If the Dark Lord truly wants Draco to serve him, it is an honor, not a burden. You know Lucius would be proud of him.”

“Lucius is a fool,” Narcissa snapped. “He cares more about serving his master than his own family, his own son. If he had his way, he would hand Draco over to the Dark Lord with a bow tied around his head.”

“Please, don’t speak about Father so harshly,” came a male voice.

Narcissa looked towards the doorway and a huge smile spread across her face. “Draco,” she exclaimed, rushing towards her son, “you’re home.” She wrapped him in a tight embrace, which he returned.

“What did the Dark Lord wish to speak to you about?” Bellatrix asked from the couch.

Draco released his mother and turned his attention towards his aunt. “He has given me permission to discuss tonight’s events with both of you, but it cannot go any further. Neither of you are permitted to repeat anything I tell you.”

“Are you in trouble?” Narcissa asked him quickly.

“No,” he replied. “It is simply time for me to take my rightful place amongst the Dark Lord’s followers. You knew this day would come, Mother. Please, sit down with Aunt Bella and I’ll tell you all about it.”

Reluctantly, Narcissa joined her sister on the couch. She stared intently at her son, waiting for him to reassure her. Reassurance never came.

“With Father and so many other Death Eaters currently unavailable, the Dark Lord has decided that it is time for me to join him. The marking has been done,” he pulled up his sleeve to reveal the hideous mark that was now permanently etched on his skin.

Narcissa couldn’t keep the look of disgust and fear from her face. She had seen this mark many times. Her husband wore it. Her sister wore it. But in her heart, she could never believe that her son would wear it.

Bellatrix, on the other hand, looked riveted by the Mark. She always did. It didn’t matter how many times she had seen it or how much it had cost her. That mark always caused her great excitement. It was something that Narcissa would never understand.

Without noticing the look of horror on his mother’s face, Draco continued, “I have also received my first assignment. It’s huge for a new Death Eater. I was very flattered to receive it. Clearly, the Dark Lord knows that I am capable to great things.”

“What does he want from you?’ Narcissa asked in a voice that was hardly above a whisper.

“He has given me the task of killing Albus Dumbledore.”

Narcissa gasped.

Bellatrix laughed.

“That’s ingenious,” Bella cried. “The old coot will never see it coming. Never would he suspect that one of his own students would attempt to do him in. Draco, I am so proud of you. This will do wonders for your future within the organization.”

“B”but Dumbledore is accomplished in Legilimency,” Narcissa stuttered. “What if he finds out? Draco, you would be sent to prison.”

“That’s why I was hoping Aunt Bella would teach me Occlumency,” he replied, looking hopefully to Bellatrix.

She smiled at him. “Of course, I’ll teach you, Draco.”

Narcissa shook her head. “This is crazy. It’s too dangerous. You’re only a child. Surely, the Dark Lord must realize that you are too young to take on such a task.”

“Thank you for the vote of confidence, Mother,” Draco replied.

“I’m just worried about you.”

“You need to stop cuddling him,” Bellatrix snapped. “He’s not a child anymore, Narcissa. He is ready for this, aren’t you, Draco?”

Draco looked to his mother as he answered his aunt’s question. “I am ready for this. I have waited all my life to defend my bloodline. I need to do this. I need to do it to honor Father, to honor the Malfoy name and bloodline, but mostly to honor myself. I thought you would be proud.”

Narcissa reached out and took her son’s hand. “I am proud. I have always been proud of you, Draco. I’m just scared. I’m your mother. I’m allowed.”

Draco stood and wrapped his mother in his arms. “I’ll be fine,” he told her. “I promise; I’m ready.”

He could feel his mother trembling in his arms. He hated what he was putting her through, but it was time for him to grow up. He was no longer a child, and with his father unavailable someone had to take his place. It was Draco’s turn to honor the Malfoy name and he could not back down from his responsibilities.