Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Ballad of the Marauders by remus R us

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thanks again to Kerichi, for enlightening me on the styles of poetry. I have attempted a ballad here, taking poetic license on the ballad metre. The tale of the Marauders fits all the classic elements of the ballad style. I can just imagine a circle of witches and wizards around a fire, and a wizened wizard, in a sing-song voice starting the ballad ..Step up and listen!

Ballad of the Marauders





Introduction:

Time: Future, after the final war.

It was a time of peace that the wizarding world had looked forward to. After decades of unrest and terror, there was a calm that permeated their souls. The war had spawned many stories, about the great Harry Potter and his friends, the rise and fall of the Evil Lord, the wise Dumbledore, the courage and bravery of countless wizarding heroes in the face of death: all repeated over and over, but never lost in the telling. But no other story held as much fascination as one: a story that talked of love and hate, trust and betrayal, courage and cowardice, fulfilment and loss, victory and defeat, life and death – the story of the marauders. And, wherever wizarding folk gathered, the Ballad of the Marauders was sung; sung as a reminder of times past, that had shaped their future.

*




The wizarding folk had gathered to celebrate the tenth anniversary of the final battle at it’s venue, the grounds of Hogwarts. As the dusk set in, the witches and wizards gathered in a circle around a fire, thinking back to moments of victory and grieving the loss of their brave heroes and innocents in the battle. A wizened wizard steps up to the fire, and, in a sing-song voice, recounts a tale of valour, deceit, love and tragedy – The Ballad of the Marauders.



Oration 1: First Meeting and First Year

Tales of valour from times of yore,
This is the story of Marauders four.
‘Till death do us part,’ they did swore,
‘Till none are left forevermore.’

They met in their first year, on the train,
Sirius, the wag and Remus, the brain.
With James, the sporty and Peter, the plain,
An alliance was forged for mighty gain.

Sorted into Gryffindor that night,
Shared a dorm that sealed their plight.
Of endless talks and many a fight,
Where valour ruled and mischief was might.

‘Smart cool rascals’, their tag,
Happily pulled many a gag,
Blithe spirits that never did sag,
Though one held a secret, that him did nag.

Thus, their first year did pass,
With Remus, topping the class,
James and Sirius chasing many a lass,
And, Peter becoming less of an ass.

Tales of valour from times of yore,
This is the story of Marauders four.
‘Till death do us part,’ they did swore,
‘Till none are left forevermore.’