Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Past Reclaimed by nuw255

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Harry gets some unexpected visitors.



“A strong Protego should do it,” Hermione whispered in Harry’s ear as she slid into her seat at the Gryffindor table for breakfast on the first Saturday of the new term.

Harry acknowledged her statement with a silent nod as he calmly took another bite of eggs. There was no need to ask what she was talking about; Hermione had been researching the best method for blocking a Memory Charm ever since Harry had expressed his concern over Professor Snape’s threat. Just as a feeling of relief at having avoided the necessity of learning yet another difficult spell began settling over him, Ginny tugged on his sleeve.

“What is it?” Harry asked as he turned slightly in his seat to face her.

“Look,” Ginny replied, nodding toward the large doors of the Great Hall. Harry immediately followed her gaze and felt his heart leap at the sight of a shabbily-dressed wizard with prematurely graying hair leading a young, pink-haired witch into the Hall.

“Remus,” Harry whispered, suddenly ashamed that he hadn’t even thought to make an effort to get together with his father’s old friend during the holiday.

Remus Lupin turned just slightly to smile at the witch, whose hair color indicated that she really couldn’t be anyone other than Nymphadora Tonks, before he turned toward the Gryffindor table and she continued on toward the staff table.

“Professor Lupin!” cried Lavender Brown as she nearly jumped out of her seat to wave enthusiastically at him.

Remus smiled politely as he replied, “Good morning, Miss Brown.” Harry couldn’t help being impressed at the man’s memory. It had been years since he’d been their teacher, and yet he hadn’t even needed a moment’s pause to remember her name. Harry stood, bracing himself as Remus continued to greet his former pupils as his footsteps carried him ever closer.

“Hello, Harry,” Remus muttered with a small, sad smile.

“Hi, Remus,” Harry somehow managed to choke out. “I’m back.”

Remus’ smile grew and he clapped Harry affectionately on the shoulder. “So I’ve heard. I’m sorry I didn’t get in touch with you over the Christmas holiday, but I was very busy with something I felt I had to do.”

Harry nodded in understanding. “I’m finished here, if you’d like to go up to the common room or something,” he said in a rush, hoping that Remus would take him up on the offer. He wanted desperately to have a chance to apologize for the way he had treated him the last time they’d met, but he didn’t think he could do it in front of so many curious eyes and ears.

“Of course,” Remus replied, turning to head back the way he had come. “How was your first week back?”

Harry shrugged. “Not bad, I guess. It just seems like we have to learn so much so fast because of the war. Did you know Flitwick and Moody are teaching us to cast and counter the False Death Charm?”

Remus nodded as they started up the stairs. “It doesn’t seem right, does it? Being forced to learn so many advanced spells just to stay alive.”

“Not all of our classes are like that, though,” Harry quickly amended. “Hagrid just teaches us about whatever creature strikes his fancy, and I don’t think the war has changed much about Herbology or Transfiguration.” He paused, a wicked grin playing around the corners of his mouth as he added, “I think Potions class is the most fun at the moment, though.”

Remus’ eyebrows rose in surprise. “Is that so?” he asked. “Funny, I was under the impression that the return of your memory would also re-kindle your animosity for Professor Snape.”

“Who says I don’t still hate the git?” Harry shot back. “I just know how to deal with it a little better now. Besides, do you have any idea how funny it is to watch Snape lecturing about Love Potions?” The very thought caused him to snicker, and soon he and Remus were laughing openly.

“Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious,” Harry called out to the portrait of the Fat Lady as soon as they arrived at Gryffindor Tower, adding in an undertone, “I wonder who comes up with these bloody passwords.” Remus just chuckled and followed him into the empty common room.

“It’s been years since I was in this room,” he mused as he gazed around, taking it all in. “Doesn’t look much different, though.” He sighed and sank into one of the armchairs near the large fireplace. Harry followed suit, sitting across from him.

After a moment’s silence, Harry cleared his throat nervously. “I’m- er, about what happened in the summer- I’m sorry.” He cleared his throat again. “I knew that I didn’t really understand the situation, but I blew up at you anyway. I shouldn’t have done that.”

Remus shook his head. “No, Harry; you had a right to be angry. I’m the one who ought to be apologizing to you. After all, I knew all about your memory loss, but I acted like you should understand anyway. I’m-” he let out a long, slow breath. “I’m sorry for that, Harry.”

After a moment of quiet contemplation, Remus’ expression brightened somewhat as he said, “But I didn’t come here to talk about what happened over the summer. I came because of this.” He pulled a small scroll of parchment from a pocket of his robes and passed it to Harry.

“What is it?” Harry asked as he took the scroll and began to unroll it. Remus didn’t have to answer; the message was only a few lines long.
31 December, 1997

Upon review of the evidence in the case against Sirius Black, the Ministry of Magic of Great Britain hereby declares Mr. Black to be innocent of the murders with which he was charged.
The document was signed by Cornelius Fudge, Minister of Magic; Amelia Bones, Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement; and Albus Dumbledore, Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot. Each signature was accompanied by an official seal.

Harry exhaled heavily. “They did it on New Year’s Eve so there wouldn’t be any publicity, didn’t they?”

Remus nodded slowly. “Dumbledore pushed for something more public, but in the end he was just happy to have Fudge finally acknowledge that Sirius was innocent. And even now, the Ministry still hasn’t bothered to acknowledge his death.”

“Too little, too late,” Harry muttered. Looking up at sharply at Remus, he added, “What do you say we make Fudge squirm a bit for taking the coward’s way out?”

Remus looked appraisingly at him before replying, “What do you mean by make him squirm?” His voice was even and his expression unreadable, but Harry was not deterred.

“I mean we should publicize this,” he announced, gesturing toward the parchment in his hand. “There’s got to be somebody out there who’d be willing to publish a story about Sirius’ acquittal, right? And then, after we get some public support, we can push for proper recognition of what really happened.”

Remus nodded slowly as a smile began creeping across his features. “I think Sirius would like that,” he said quietly. “And as the last of the Marauders, I’m just the man to help you.”

Harry grinned back at him. “That’s what I was hoping you’d-” He cried out and slapped his hand over his scar as it suddenly seared with white-hot pain.

“Harry?” Remus asked, his concern evident in his voice. Behind him, the portrait hole swung open to admit Ron, Hermione, and Ginny just as the pain subsided and Harry quickly lowered his hand.

“Harry, what was that?” Hermione called out as soon as the portrait door had closed behind them.

Harry shook his head, trying to clear it. This wasn’t supposed to happen anymore - his scar hadn’t hurt in over a year.

“It’s your scar, isn’t it?” Hermione questioned as the three friends approached.

“Yeah,” Harry answered with a small nod. “It hasn’t hurt like that since fifth year.”

“We’ve got to tell Dumbledore,” Ron piped up immediately. For once, Harry didn’t feel inclined to argue. He stood, fully intending to head out right away to find the Headmaster, when the voice of the very person he was looking for began reverberating around the room.

“Attention Hogwarts students and staff,” Dumbledore’s voice boomed from an unseen location. “The castle’s magical protections have come under attack. All students are to report to their house common rooms immediately. Prefects are responsible for helping the younger students. Above all, you must remain calm and leave no one behind. Teachers are to meet in the Entrance Hall. Once again, I urge you all to remain calm. Ministry Aurors have already been contacted, and you are all safe enough. There is no need to panic.”

Frightened and panicking students began pouring through the open portrait hole before the echoes of the Headmaster’s voice had completely died away. Remus rushed to the portrait hole, but had to stand off to the side, waiting for a break in the tide before he would be able to make his way down to the Entrance Hall to join the professors. Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny pushed their way to his side just as he stepped out of the common room.

“Hey, wait up,” Ron called after him.

“Oh, no you don’t,” Remus warned, spinning around to face the four students. “I’ll seal you in this tower if I have to, but you are not coming!”

“Do you really think you can keep us away?” Hermione scoffed. “Not even Dumbledore’s protections for the Sorcerer’s Stone were enough to stop us, and that was in our first year.”

“And they didn’t have me helping them back then,” Ginny added, determination radiating off of her.

“I don’t have time for this,” Remus sighed. “All right; you can come. But no one else.” He punctuated his point by using his wand to swing the Fat Lady’s portrait closed before sealing it with a muttered, “Colloportus.

“Let’s go,” Harry called out, and the three wizards and two witches took off down the corridor at a slow jog. Nothing more was said until they reached the staircase between the second and third floors, where they were suddenly halted by a barrage of flying water bombs.

“Peeves!” the group shouted as one, while the merry poltergeist cackled with delight from where he hovered several feet in front of them.

“I’ll teach you to-” Ron began as he drew his wand, but he was cut off abruptly by Remus placing a firm hand on his arm.

“You just have to know how to deal with him,” the older man murmured quietly. Then he cleared his throat and addressed the poltergeist.

“Good morning, Peeves. Did you happen to hear the Headmaster’s announcement?” he asked in a polite voice.

Peeves narrowed his eyes at Remus, surveying him thoughtfully. “Peevesy knows students shouldn’t be out. Should call Mr. Filch, I should.”

Remus rolled his eyes dramatically. “The castle is under attack, Peeves. We need your help to defend it.”

Harry gaped at him. It was one thing to talk nicely to Peeves to get him to leave you alone, but suggesting that he should help defend the castle? Unless.... A slow smile began creeping across Harry’s features as he realized that this must all be a ploy to distract the poltergeist. The feeling of pleasure was short-lived, however; they were wasting valuable time dealing with a mere nuisance. He tugged impatiently on Remus’ sleeve, but the former professor warned him off with a stern look.

Peeves frowned. “Attacking the castle is what Peevesy does best,” he replied after a moment, and then burst into a maniacal cackle as he did a back flip in midair.

“I’m not talking about pranks, Peeves,” Remus continued in a completely calm voice. Harry had to hand it to him; the man definitely knew how to keep his cool. “I mean a real attack. If it’s successful, someone a thousand times worse than Dolores Umbridge will be put in charge.”

Peeves abruptly stopped cackling and seemed to consider this for a moment before shaking his head vehemently. “Can’t go helping teachers,” he insisted. “What would Mr. Padfoot say?”

It happened so fast that Harry couldn’t be sure he had actually seen it, but it looked like Remus had winked at him. “It’s been over three years since I was a professor here, Peeves. You know what that means, don’t you?” Peeves swooped down in front of him, stopping so close that their noses were nearly touching.

“Mr. Moony?” he whispered.

“The one and only.”

“Prove it. Help Peevesy stuff Snivelly’s head in the toilet. Oooh, it’s been so long!” Peeves’ wicked grin was unmistakable, and his beady eyes danced in anticipation.

The entire group was fighting to contain their laughter as Remus slowly replied, “I don’t think so, Peeves; you know that was never my style. But if you help us, I promise to pull a prank on Severus for old times’ sake.”

Peeves considered the offer for a moment before bowing in acceptance and flying down the stairs. As soon as he was out of earshot, Remus sighed and once again began leading the way toward the Entrance Hall.

“I shouldn’t have agreed to that,” he muttered to himself.

“But- You won’t really go through with it,” said Hermione. “Will you?” she added uncertainly.

Remus sighed again and ran a hand through his hair. “I gave my word,” he answered simply. “I can’t go back on it now. Besides, Severus’ wrath is a small price to pay for Peeves’ help in this confrontation. We need him.”

Before anyone had a chance to ask what he meant, they heard an explosion and a cacophony of shouts downstairs, and made a mad dash for the next staircase. From their vantage point, they could see that the castle’s great oak front doors had just exploded inward and twenty or thirty Death Eaters were rushing the entrance. Dumbledore stood in the center of the Entrance Hall, his wand flashing in the bright sunlight as it streamed in through the hole where the doors had been only moments before. He danced nimbly aside to dodge a jet of green light, and spun behind a large stone pillar for protection from three more.

Curses continued to fly back and forth between the Death Eaters, who were taking cover behind the doorframe, and the staff, who had hidden themselves behind various pillars and banisters. As Harry, Ron, Hermione, Remus, and Ginny rushed toward the first floor, an ear-piercing scream of pain rent the air. Harry glanced down to see a blur of black robes and pink hair writhing on the ground.

“Tonks!” Before the shout had finished leaving his throat, Remus had vaulted over the railing and was hurtling down over one-and-a-half stories toward the stone floor of the Entrance Hall, firing off curses at the Death Eaters in the doorway as he fell.

“Remus, no!” Harry shouted, rushing forward and preparing to do whatever he could to help break his friend’s fall. Ten feet from the floor, Remus flicked his wand upward and a thick rope appeared, tied around his waist and the banister of the staircase where Harry still stood. The rope stretched, slowing his fall substantially before it disappeared, leaving him to collapse onto the floor.

Satisfied that Remus would be all right, Harry turned and raced down the rest of the stairs toward the Entrance Hall, quickly catching up with Ron, Hermione, and Ginny, who were all crouched at the bottom of the stone staircase, using it for cover as they hurled curses at the attacking Death Eaters.

Stupefy!” he shouted the second a hooded head came into view around the doorframe. The Death Eater jerked back out of sight, and Harry’s Stunner collided harmlessly with the wall.

Avada Kedavra!” rang out a voice that was somewhere outside of Harry’s field of vision.

“Watch out!”

Harry spun at the sound of Tonks’ voice just in time to see a jet of green light rushing toward Remus. He threw out his hands, ready to try something - anything - to deflect the curse, when a little man dressed in pink and purple striped trousers and an orange and brown polka dotted shirt suddenly appeared directly in its path.

“Peeves?” Harry whispered in disbelief as the green light collided with the poltergeist’s chest and he collapsed to the floor. He couldn’t believe it; Peeves was gone, and he had sacrificed himself for Remus. But if Peeves was dead, then where was that cackling coming from?

Harry’s eyes widened in wonder as the little poltergeist picked himself up off the floor, brushed off the seat of his trousers, and proceeded to blow a loud raspberry at the Death Eaters outside.

“Can’t hurt Peevesy!” he taunted before zooming up into the air to retrieve a very large bundle of walking sticks, which he immediately started throwing at the attackers with even more enthusiasm than usual.

Stupefy!” Harry shouted again. This time, his target was too occupied with Peeves’ attack to be able to pull back in time, and the Stunner hit him in the side of the head. He collapsed, unconscious.

“What happened to Dumbledore?” Ron wondered aloud.

“They’ve got him pinned down behind that pillar,” Hermione replied as she deflected a Reductor curse into the floor a few feet in front of them. Sure enough, now that he looked, Harry could see that Dumbledore’s hiding place was being bombarded by an almost constant stream of Killing Curses, making it impossible for the aged Headmaster to do much of anything other than stand there and wait.

“Peeves!” Remus shouted from his hiding spot near the doors to the Great Hall. “Help Dumbledore!” Harry sighed with relief; Remus must have noticed the same thing they had.

Without a moment’s consideration, Peeves swooped down right into the path of the Killing Curses that were keeping Dumbledore out of the action. He laughed gleefully each time a jet of green light collided harmlessly with his chest. A moment later, the jets of green light stopped as Dumbledore stepped out from behind his pillar and began firing curses of his own at the Death Eaters. A shout went up outside, and after only a few moments, Harry saw the Headmaster stow his wand with a satisfied nod.

Curious, Harry ventured out of his hiding place to get a glimpse of what was happening outside. His friends followed closely behind him, and soon they could see the reason for the abrupt end to the fighting. Fifteen Aurors had arrived on the scene, and were now busy ensuring that the Death Eaters were properly disarmed, identified and bound before being taken to the Ministry for questioning.

“We ran into another group near the gates,” Harry overheard a deep voice saying. He looked to his left to see Kingsley Shacklebolt talking with Professor Dumbledore. “Otherwise, we’d have been here sooner.”

Dumbledore waved off his apology, and Harry headed across the Entrance Hall in search of Remus. He found him locked in a very tight embrace with Tonks, whose cheeks darkened to match her hair as soon as she noticed Harry watching them.

“Well,” Tonks said, clearing her throat uncomfortably, “I suppose I’d better go help take care of that lot.” She gestured toward the group of Death Eaters outside.

“Potter!” Harry groaned inwardly at the sound of Professor McGonagall’s voice behind him. “Did you not hear the Headmaster’s instructions that all students were to remain in their common rooms?” He turned slowly around, not the least bit surprised when he saw that her expression was even more stern than usual.

“I did hear it, Professor,” he answered, “but this is my fight. I can’t be sheltered from it.”

If anything, McGonagall’s lips tightened into an even harder line. “Regardless of what you may believe, Potter, you are still required to follow the rules of this school. You will serve detention with me on Monday evening at six o’clock.” She paused to glance around at Ron, Hermione, and Ginny before adding, “All of you will. Remus, will you please escort these students back to their common room?”

“Of course, Professor,” Remus replied while hiding a smile. As they began climbing the staircase to the first floor, he whispered to a now-invisible Peeves, “Thank you, Peeves. I’ll make good on our bargain as soon as I can set a plan in motion.” Harry bit his lip as he tried not to laugh at the mental image of Remus and Peeves shoving Snape’s head into a toilet. He hoped that Remus’ alternative plan would be at least that funny.

“Didn’t hear her complaining when I blocked that Bludgeoning Hex for her,” Ron muttered darkly.

“Oh, quit complaining!” Hermione snapped. “We knew the risks when we came, and we accepted them. Now we have to live with the consequences.”

Ginny just shook her head in amazement at the other couple’s ability to argue about everything under the sun, and slid her hand comfortably into Harry’s. They walked in silence until they had almost reached the Fat Lady’s portrait, when Harry’s scar suddenly exploded with pain and he collapsed onto his knees.