Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Past Reclaimed by nuw255

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: It’s Valentine’s Day! This, of course, means fluffiness, although it’s not all fluff.



Before Harry knew it, January had given way to February and the castle was abuzz with talk of dates for the Hogsmeade visit on Valentine’s weekend. Of course, there was never any question in his mind that he was going with Ginny, and he knew that was what she expected as well, so the idea of actually asking her never even crossed his mind. Fortunately for him, a week before the Hogsmeade visit, Ron had asked him if he had asked Ginny yet.

“No,” Harry had replied. “It’s not like I need to, though. We always go to Hogsmeade together; she knows that.”

At this point, Ron had burst out laughing. “That’s what I thought last year, mate. Trust me; you do not want to make that mistake.”

From the frightened look that briefly crossed his best friend’s face as he thought about it, Harry could tell that Hermione’s wrath must have been terrible. Accordingly, he had immediately gone out and found Ginny, and properly asked her to be his date for Valentine’s Day.

So it was that Harry and Ginny ended up in the village of Hogsmeade, blissfully walking hand-in-hand down the main street. A soft blanket of snow covered the ground and the rooftops, and long icicles hung like natural decorations from the eaves of nearly every building. If it hadn’t been for the red and pink hearts visible in many of the shop windows, it would have looked like the quintessential Christmas village.

“Where do you want to go first?” Harry asked as they approached the shops.

“Honestly? I really don’t care,” Ginny replied happily as she bounced along beside him. “All I care about is that I’m here with you, and we don’t have any classes or extra training or anything else to worry about.”

“Couldn’t have said it better myself,” Harry chuckled. Not even the increased security in the village was able to dampen their spirits, and they barely even noticed the presence of several Ministry of Magic Aurors as they strolled up the street. They spent the next few hours browsing around the different shops without actually buying anything other than some Honeydukes chocolates before deciding it was time for lunch.

“So, where do you want to eat?” Harry asked with a smile as they left the sweetshop.

Ginny gave him an appraising look out of the corner of her eye. “What do you mean? Don’t we always eat at The Three Broomsticks?”

“Well, yeah,” Harry answered uncomfortably. “I just wasn’t sure you wanted to go there this time; you know, since it’s Valentine’s Day and we’re dating and stuff.”

“What, did you think I wanted to go to Madame Puddifoot’s or something?” Ginny giggled. When Harry didn’t immediately respond, she gasped and turned to stare at him.

“That is what you were thinking, isn’t it?” she demanded with more than a hint of laughter still in her voice.

Harry shifted uncomfortably but didn’t relinquish his hold on her hand. “Honestly, I was really hoping you wouldn’t want to go there, but I wanted to give you the choice,” he answered after a moment. “I want today to be special, so if you want to go to Madame Puddifoot’s, then that’s where we’ll go.”

Ginny stopped walking and turned to face him. Her expression was serious, and for a few horrifying seconds Harry was afraid he had said something terribly wrong. He soon changed his mind, however, when Ginny slipped her arms around his neck and kissed him swiftly. When she pulled away, he could see that her nose and cheeks were pink from more than just the cold, and her brown eyes were sparkling merrily.

“I’ve actually never been one for frills and cupids and such, so I doubt I’ll be asking you to take me to Madame Puddifoot’s anytime soon,” she explained softly. “But the fact that you were willing to take me there, especially since I know your last visit wasn’t exactly a good experience, means more to me than I can say. Thank you. Now, let’s get to the pub before we freeze!” Grasping Harry’s hand once again, she raced down the lane toward The Three Broomsticks, pulling him along in her wake.

“Harry!”

Harry stopped in his tracks, staring in surprise at the couple that had just exited the pub.

“Tyler?” he asked. “What’re you doing in Hogsmeade?”

“Valentine’s Day. I came to visit Luna,” Tyler responded, nodding toward the dreamy-eyed blonde witch on his arm. She smiled broadly at him.

“I take it things are going well, then,” Ginny said with a grin. “It’s good to see you out and about, Tyler.”

“Did anybody else come with you?” Harry asked. There was a war on, after all, and it wasn’t exactly safe for a Muggle to travel around the Wizarding world unescorted.

Tyler shook his head, and when he answered, it was in a whisper. “No; don’t tell anybody, but Fred and George made me a Portkey. They said it was safer than traveling the Muggle way, even if I do have a few magical protections with me.”

“He’s quite safe here, though,” Luna offered. “After all, the Death Eaters are all so busy with their plan to kidnap the London Philharmonic Orchestra that they don’t have time to worry about a Hogsmeade weekend.”

Harry, who was used to these sorts of comments coming from Luna, didn’t normally have much trouble keeping a straight face around her. However, when he saw Tyler’s grin grow larger and larger as she spoke, he couldn’t hold in his laughter.

“That’s the way to keep things in perspective, Luna,” Tyler responded while winking at Harry. “Seriously, though, I do have some pretty cool magical protections that the twins have developed.”

“And you trust them?” Ginny asked incredulously.

“Why shouldn’t he?” Luna asked, turning her unblinking gaze toward Ginny.

“Because they’re Fred and George,” Harry pointed out with a laugh.

“Yeah, but they wouldn’t mess around with something like self-defense,” Tyler said reasonably. “Like this cloak, for instance. They gave it to me for this trip.”

“It looks nice,” said Ginny. “Is it warm?”

Tyler nodded. “Yeah, but that’s not why they gave it to me. It’s got a built-in Shield Charm to block minor hexes and stuff.”

“Cool,” Harry breathed. “That’s not a bad idea for everybody to have.”

“Well, the Shield Charm only stays good for so many hits, so it might not be the best thing to rely on in battle if you can conjure a shield yourself. For sneak attacks, or for those of us who can’t do magic, though, it’s brilliant. Oh! And they let me borrow a prototype of one of their newest inventions, just in case.” Tyler’s dark eyes danced with excitement as he pulled a short wand out of his pocket.

“Tyler, you can’t use a wand,” Ginny blurted.

“Tyler Stevens: Magical Muggle,” Luna sang quietly.

“It’s not a wand,” Tyler explained. “Like I said, it’s one of your brothers’ newest inventions: Stunning Sticks for Squibs. All you do is hold it like a wand and flick your wrist toward your target, and it shoots a Stunner.”

“Seriously?” Harry asked in awe.

“Yeah,” Tyler answered. “Can’t show you now, though. This is the only one they’ve managed to make so far, and Fred guesses it’ll only be able to do half a dozen Stunners at most before the magic wears out. George thinks it’s closer to three, but they won’t know for sure until they test it after I get back. They made me promise not to use it unless it was an emergency.”

“Still, that’s brilliant,” said Ginny. “I’ll have to write and congratulate them.”

“You should do that,” Tyler said with a smile. “They enjoy hearing from you.” Glancing at Luna, who appeared to have become very interested in the way the sunlight was catching one of the icicles hanging from the eaves of the Three Broomsticks, he added, “We’d probably better get going.”

“Right,” said Harry. “See you later, mate. And send me an owl sometime; I haven’t heard from you in a while.”

“I could say the same to you,” Tyler called over his shoulder as he led Luna toward a nearby shop.

“They’re sweet together, aren’t they?” Ginny observed as Harry opened the door to the Three Broomsticks for her.

“Yeah,” Harry chuckled. “They make each other smile, anyway.”

Upon entering the warm pub, Harry’s glasses immediately fogged over, and he hurriedly cleaned them with the edge of his shirt. Now able to see, he glanced around the room and quickly spotted Ron and Hermione, who were just getting up from a two-person booth tucked in a nook near the back of the room. Waving cheerily at his friends, Harry led Ginny over to where Ron and Hermione stood, still fastening their cloaks in preparation for the cold.

“How’s your Valentine’s Day going?” Harry asked as he approached.

“Not bad,” Ron answered. When Hermione elbowed him in the ribs, he turned to chuckle at her. “I figured you’d react like that. Honestly, it’s been brilliant.”

“We’re in a bit of a hurry, though,” Hermione said as she flashed Harry and Ginny a grin. “I really need to get to Dervish & Banges, and they’re closing early today. You can have our table. See you later!”

“See you,” they echoed as they slid into their seats and Hermione dragged Ron toward the door.

“We’ll see you back at the castle,” Ron called over his shoulder as he hurried to keep up with his girlfriend.

“Dervish & Banges isn’t closing early today,” Ginny observed just as her brother disappeared out into the cold.

“Well, it would’ve been a good excuse if your memory weren’t so good,” Harry laughed.

The meal and conversation were pleasant, and Harry was relieved to find that it was really no different from the other times he and Ginny had gone to Hogsmeade together, except for the obvious difference that they were by themselves rather than with Ron and Hermione. As they prepared to leave, he took a small square box that was tied up with a red ribbon out of his pocket, and placed it gently on the table.

“I got you something,” he said with a slight waver in his voice. No matter how many times he tried to convince himself that there was no reason to be nervous about this gift, he couldn’t shake the feeling of worry that came over him whenever he thought about it. It was, after all, his first Valentine’s Day as Ginny’s boyfriend, and he didn’t want to mess things up. “I, er, hope you like it.”

Ginny smiled at him as she took the little white box. “I’m sure it’s wonderful, whatever it is,” she replied. “Do you want me to open it now?”

“Sure,” Harry answered with an attempt at a casual shrug. He was so tense that it probably looked more like he had a cramp in his shoulder. He watched in silence as she carefully removed the ribbon and opened the small box. Her eyebrows knit together in confusion as she lifted out a tiny jade carving of a coiled snake. It was barely an inch tall, and it glittered almost eerily in the soft light of the pub.

“Harry,” she said slowly. “You do remember that I’m in Gryffindor, right?”

“What?” Harry asked dumbly.

“Well, it’s just that this looks rather... Slytherin. You know?”

Harry squeezed his eyes shut and ran a hand nervously through his hair. She had no idea what he was trying to say with that gift. Was he really that bad of a gift-giver?

“I didn’t mean to upset you,” Ginny quickly added when she saw his reaction. “It’s just.... I know there has to be a story behind this gift, and I want to understand.”

Harry slowly opened his eyes and looked across the table at her. Her bright brown eyes were open wide, and he saw nothing but sincerity in them. She might not understand yet, but she genuinely wanted to. Heartened, he cleared his throat and began to explain.

“You know how I hate being gawked at, right?”

Ginny chuckled. “Yeah, I know that. It’s the reason I keep all my pictures of you in an album instead of in frames - so my roommates can’t gawk at you.”

“I know,” Harry replied with a small grin. “Well, I wanted to give you something that would make you think of me whenever you saw it, but that you could keep out in the open where it’s always visible.”

“So you got me a snake?” Ginny giggled.

“Yeah,” Harry answered in a serious voice. “I thought it was appropriate because you like it so much when I say-” he switched to Parseltongue, “-I love you.”

Ginny smiled and sighed contentedly. “I don’t suppose you’re going to tell me what you’re saying yet, are you?”

Harry shook his head. “Sorry; not yet.”

“Okay, so that explains the snake - and it’s a very good explanation, by the way - but why is it Slytherin green?”

“It’s not Slytherin green,” Harry answered, looking offended. “I’ll have you know that that snake is-” he lowered his voice to a whisper and winked at her, “-fresh pickled toad green.”

Ginny’s reaction was exactly what he had expected: color began rising in her cheeks as she whispered, “Never mention that again!” Her quiet laughter quickly gave away her amusement, however, and Harry felt safe laughing along with her.

“So the green snake is supposed to remind me of a certain green-eyed Parselmouth, is it?” she asked after their laughter died away.

“That’s right,” Harry answered with a nod.

Ginny looked appraisingly at the jade serpent for a long moment before announcing, “There’s something missing.”

“What?” Harry asked. “What’s missing?”

“When I tell you to, I want you to say whatever it is that you like telling me in Parseltongue, okay?”

“All right,” Harry answered, his confusion still showing on his face.

Ginny discreetly drew her wand and tapped the tiny snake’s head while muttering, “Audictus Tactum.” She nodded at Harry.

“I love you, Ginny,” Harry hissed in Parseltongue.

Ginny tapped the snake’s head again and muttered, “Finis,” before returning her wand to her pocket.

“What did you just do?” Harry asked.

“A speech recording charm,” Ginny replied with a smile. “It’s a simpler version of the one I used to make that singing get-well card I gave you back in second year. Watch.”

She tapped the top of the snake’s head with her fingertip, and suddenly Harry’s hissing voice was saying, “I love you, Ginny.”

“Now I can hear you say that anytime I want,” she explained with a shrug.

“Brilliant,” Harry chuckled. “I just hope there aren’t any other closet Parselmouths hanging around.”

“Why’s that, Harry?” Ginny asked with a wide grin. “Is it really so terrible?”

Harry shook his head. “No, it’s just... never mind.” Seeking to change the subject, he quickly asked, “So, did you get me anything?”

“Of course I did. What kind of girlfriend do you think I am?” She reached into the pocket of her robes and took out a small envelope, which she quickly handed to him.

Harry held the small square of parchment for a long moment, just examining his name written in her flowing script. Whatever was inside this envelope had probably cost her next to nothing, but he knew that it would be a treasure to him. Taking a deep breath, he carefully broke the wax seal and tipped the envelope’s contents into his hand.

It was a very small, round photograph of himself and Ginny. All he could see was their faces, really, but he watched, mesmerized, as they laughed and joked with one another. He smiled as he watched Ginny lean over and kiss him lightly on the nose before pulling back and giggling at the expression on his face.

“Do you like it?” Ginny asked nervously.

“Do I.... Are you kidding? It’s perfect,” Harry breathed. “Where’d you get it?”

“George,” she answered with a smirk. “He took it at Christmas. You didn’t even notice when he stole his camera back after Percy attacked you. Don’t worry, though; he and Fred know better than to actually let anybody other than family see those photos.”

“If you say so,” Harry responded warily. “Is there a reason it’s so small, though?”

“You really are daft sometimes, aren’t you Harry?” Ginny laughed. “It goes in the other side of your locket - you know, the side that doesn’t have a picture in it yet.”

“Really? I didn’t realize it could hold two.” He pulled the locket out from where it rested under his shirt, grateful that their booth shielded them from prying eyes. As much as he loved that locket, he still didn’t want to be teased about it.

Ginny patiently showed him how to fit the new picture into the empty half of his locket, and they stared at both photos for a long moment after she had finished. With a satisfied smile, Harry snapped the little pendant shut and slipped the chain back around his neck.

“Thank you, Ginny. I love it,” he whispered.

“I love my little green snake, too,” she replied as she placed the small jade carving back into its box. “I’ll keep it on my night table so it can watch over me while I sleep.”

“Sounds good to me,” Harry smiled as he got to his feet and led her toward the door, stopping on the way to pay Madam Rosmerta for their meal.

As they chatted happily on their way back to the castle, Harry couldn’t help thinking that he had just experienced the best Valentine’s Day imaginable.

* * * * *

Monday started out just like any other day. Harry rolled out of bed, hurriedly dressed, gathered his books, and got ready for class, and then met Ron, Hermione, and Ginny for breakfast. They were all still in exceptionally good moods (which had carried over from a very pleasant Valentine’s weekend) until the morning post arrived. No sooner had Hermione opened her copy of the Daily Prophet than her eyes widened in shock and she hurriedly folded the paper into a tight roll.

“What is it, Hermione?” Harry asked immediately. “Was there an attack?”

She shook her head. “Everything’s fine,” she said in an unnaturally bright tone.

“Come off it,” said Ron. “We all know you just read something that upset you, so out with it. If you don’t tell us, somebody else will before long.”

Hermione sighed and began unfolding her paper. “Before I let you see this, Harry, I want you to promise me that you won’t do anything rash.”

“Me? Do something rash?” Harry asked in mock-surprise. “You must have me confused with somebody else, Hermione. Now let’s see it.” He snatched the newspaper out of her hands and finished unfolding it until the offending article was visible beneath a large photograph of Ginny kissing him in the middle of the street in Hogsmeade just two days before. He stared at the picture for a moment before he realized that it was moving in slow motion, making the kiss look much longer than it actually had been. His temper already rising, he tore his eyes away from the photograph and began reading the article.

Her Very Own Boy-Who-Lived
By Matilda Johansen

After surviving numerous encounters with Dark wizards, disappearing from the Wizarding world for a year, and overcoming severe memory loss to return to Hogwarts School and continue his education upon his return, it seems that Harry Potter, 17, has finally been dealt a blow from which he may not be able to recover. Although his current adversary may not mean him physical harm, her influence may prove fatal nevertheless.

Ginny Weasley, 16, sister of Potter’s longtime friend, Ronald, is well-known among her peers for having harbored unrequited affections for Harry Potter for the past six years. During that time, Mr. Potter repeatedly fled from her advances, even going so far as to pretend he was dating his good friend, Hermione Granger, during his time as Triwizard Champion. Apparently, Ginny Weasley can’t take a hint.

The disturbing news reached the ears of your Daily Prophet reporter on St. Valentine’s Day, of all days. Harry Potter had been spotted in Hogsmeade in the company of one Ginny Weasley, but her affections were suddenly and miraculously being returned. What could possibly have changed Mr. Potter’s attitude so dramatically? Draco Malfoy, 17, a Hogwarts Prefect who has had extensive dealings with both Potter and Weasley in the past, believes he knows the answer: a Love Potion.

“It’s obvious, isn’t it?” young Mr. Malfoy asked our reporters. “Sixth-years start studying Love Potions right after Christmas, and we all know that Weasley wouldn’t hesitate to take advantage of anything she could to hook up with Potter.”

When questioned about Miss Weasley’s potion-making ability, Ravenclaw Michael Corner confirmed that she is more than competent in the subject. We are once again left to question the wisdom of teaching such mind-altering potions to teenagers.

However, with increasing numbers of witches and wizards believing that the future of the Wizarding world rests in Harry Potter’s hands, perhaps we should do more than merely question. This is a very serious situation indeed, and it is Albus Dumbledore’s responsibility as Headmaster to...


Harry threw the newspaper aside in disgust, his pulse pounding in his ears as he considered the best way to lash out at Malfoy, Matilda Johansen, the Daily Prophet, and anyone else who might in some way be responsible.

“Harry!” Ginny’s giggling voice in his ear jerked him out of his thoughts of revenge. “Don’t you think it’s funny?”

“What?” he seethed. “Were we reading the same article?”

Ginny rolled her eyes dramatically. “Honestly, Harry. Everybody knows we’ve been together since Christmas, and most people know you spent all of last term trying to win me over. No one we know is going to take this rubbish seriously. Besides, it’s not as if you act like you’ve been taking a Love Potion.” She smirked at him. “You’d be much more obedient if you had been.”

“You’re- You mean you’re really not angry?” he asked in surprise.

“I knew what I was getting into when I decided to get involved with you, Harry. I just don’t care. Being with you is worth it. Besides, it’s not like they can really do anything to me. It’s all just talk.”

“She’s right, Harry,” Hermione said as she stood up from the table. “Everybody who matters already knows the truth. This will all blow over in a few days. Come on, Ron; we’re going to be late for Transfiguration.”

“Right,” Ron muttered, getting up to follow her. “Let us know if anybody gives you any trouble, Ginny.”

“Thanks,” Ginny replied as she stood and tugged on Harry’s arm. “Let’s go, Harry; you can’t be Snape’s model student if you’re late for class.”


A/N: I realize that the singing get-well card was in Harry’s third year; however, that was Ginny’s second year, so that’s how she would refer to it. Also, for anybody who’s interested, Audictus Tactum comes from the Latin words for ‘listen’ (audio), ‘speech’ (dictus), and ‘touch’ (tactum). The idea is that you touch (or tap) an object and it speaks to you. Finis just means ‘end’ or ‘finish’.