Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Whatever It Takes by Cheshlin

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Tonks sat on her couch, staring into the fire that was slowly going out in her hearth. A piece of parchment lay crushed in her hand and she hadn’t moved in over an hour. Fear, sorrow and determination kept flashing across her face. Finally, she brushed a strand of mousy-brown hair out of her face and threw the parchment into the ashes. Flames slowly rose to engulf it, sending light into the otherwise dark room.

She reached into her robes and pulled a much worn, tear splattered and now memorized letter. Remus Lupin’s handwriting told her not to worry. He was getting towards the top of the werewolf circle and wouldn’t be able to write her for a while. He couldn’t lose his cover that way. His mission was too important to the Order of the Phoenix for him to chance it. The letter had come two months before, and no one in the Order had heard from him since. Tonks had kept the letter on her person every waking hour since the owl had delivered it. It was always under her pillow when she was asleep.

This too had to go to the flames. She couldn’t chance it falling into the hands of those who would be entering her apartment in less then an hour. Giving it a brief kiss, she gently placed this letter into the flames. Her heart almost broke as it quickly turned to ash.

With effort, she moved to the bedroom, lighting some candles as she went. Tonks pulled out old pictures of her second-cousin Regulus and his parents. Pictures she had found in her mother’s boxes of things of her Aunt Bellatrix and Aunt Narcissa came out also. The pictures were placed on her mantle and on various tables around the room. With effort, she changed the color of her hair to the deepest black. Nymphadora Tonks was no longer Andromeda’s daughter; now she was Bellatrix’s niece and heir.

A flash of terror flashes across her face as she hears her front door open. Spinning around, she sees Bellatrix and Roldolphus Lestrange standing there.

“Are you ready to meet the Dark Lord and pledge your life to him?” Roldophus’s cold voice asked.

Turning to the dying fire, Tonks tries to hide her terror. Without a trace of fear, she hears her voice say, “Of course. I am from the Noble and Most Ancient House of Black. I need to win back the honour my pitiful mother lost.”

“I am thrilled to hear you talk of your mother that way! Come and I shall show you to our worthy Lord.” Bellatrix’s eyes shined in a fever of devotion. Her gaunt hand grabbed Tonk’s arm and they apparated with a pop. A second later, Roldophus followed.





Tonks was being dragged through a dusty and neglected house. Bellatrix’s grip hadn’t loosened since she first grabbed hold. A bruise was forming under the vise like fingers. They were moving so briskly, Tonks didn’t even have time to be afraid of whom she knew they were heading towards.

Finally they stopped in front of a closed door, and Bellatrix rapped on it three times. A cold voice ordered them to come in.

It was too late to second guess her decision. Bellatrix dragged her into the room and pushed her towards the centre. Tonks was standing alone in the middle of the dim room, with black-cloaked figures all around her. The only faces un-masked, was Bellatrix and the Dark Lord himself. Tonks slowly raised her head, and her eyes were drawn to red, snake-like eyes. Tonks couldn’t feel anything.

“So this is Bella’s niece. Not quite what I expected, but then she tells me your father was a Muggle. What brings you to my presence, Mudblood?”

Tonks swallowed. The Dark Lord’s eyes were drilling into hers. Fighting to keep his gaze, when all her gaze wanted to do was drop to the mangy carpet. Tonks keeps her eyes on the red orbs, feeling the probing that goes straight to the centre of who she is. Tonks starts answering aloud, “My mother was a fool of a woman. She only ever saw what she wanted to see. Muggles can never know or understand our world. My father is gone, and I have no contact with his family. My friends have left me, and I want revenge. I find joining your ranks to be in my best interest.”

As Tonks talked, she felt old childhood memories being pulled. She tried to open up thoughts of the times she was angry for being kept inside, times she was hurt, and the many times she was the brunt of a joke. Her feelings were being weighed and measured. Her heart pounded against her chest. He had to see she was telling the truth. Her head began to pound from the effort of answering aloud as she felt her mind ransacked from the inside.

Voldemort’s merciless eyes studied her for a moment. “I can tell you are a relative of Bella. You have her willpower and strength. Maybe you will make a nice addition to our ranks after all.”

The Dark Lord moved closer to Tonks. A thoughtful look passed through his eyes. She rolled up her sleeve to receive his mark. Forcing a confident look, Tonks kept eye contact. He stopped right in front of her, never raising his wand to perform the marking ritual.

“Why would I need you? What special knowledge or service do you hope to offer me that none of my other followers have? Why should I give you the honor of joining the Dark Lord?” Voldemort chuckled.

Tonks’ eyes flashed as she kept his gaze. She knew he was still deep in her thoughts. The wrong answer would be her doom, but then she had already thought about this question long before standing in front of him.

“How many of your followers are a Metamorphmagus? It is a rare talent these days. I can assume any face and no one would ever know. How many of your followers have access to the Aurors records? Too many of your followers are the ones we have been trying to trace. Their names and faces are known. There are many things I can do for you. There are many places I can have access to that none of your other followers can go.”

Suddenly, Tonks’ eye contact with the Dark Lord was broken, as a gaunt hand slapped across her cheek and pushed her gaze and head sharply to the side. Tonks lost her balance, and fell to the floor. When she looked up, Bellatrix was standing over her, with anger seething across her face.

“How dare you talk to the Dark Lord that way?! You are no better then the dirt he walks on. You are just a filthy, arrogant Mudblood! I should have known my sister would raise such a creature!” Bellatrix said through clenched teeth.

“Calm down my dear. I’m sure she meant no disrespect. Help her back to her feet. I’m satisfied with her answers. You have brought me a wonderful gift this night, Bella! Now I just have to mark her as mine.”

Tonks climbed back to her feet on her own. Her cheek had a hand print showing up on it. As the Dark Lord called her his, she fought the chill she felt through her bones. The shiver that she couldn’t stop was hopefully was covered by her movement. No one seemed to notice.


The room began to transform. It seemed she was meant to be tested and not just accepted at her word alone. Tonks was left by herself, with no instructions or even a glance from the Dark Lord. All the Death Eaters disappeared with him.

Relief from having the pressure of the Dark Lord in her head gave Tonks a moment of light headedness. Then she took a good look around her.

Nothing was discernable from where she stood. It was totally dark just a few feet from her in all directions. Black smoke twirled around her, and started to gather in front of her. Slowly words began to appear in the depths of it:

A simple task to prove your worth,
Your life in balance hangs.
A challenge for the Dark Lord’s mirth,
Your body shall bear the pains.

Disguise you claim as your best trait,
Betrayal was what brought you here.
Now you must fool a close known mate,
Or pain and death you shall share.

Both claim the Dark Lord’s path,
Knowledge of each other lost.
Here your traits shall do the math,
Time will show the cost.


Tonks pondered the riddle for a moment. She had no idea what was coming, but she knew she needed to disguise herself. Her nose shortened, her hair grew long, her cheeks flattened and her eyes turned blue. No one would recognize her now, though she did stay the same height and body type. It would exhaust her too much to change that much. Having no idea what lay ahead, Tonks decided to save that energy.

Taking a deep breath, Tonks realized she was probably even farther from her goals then ever before. How do you test a disguise? There was no way this test could bring in the information she could gather as an Auror. She had to admit to herself she would only pass on information she had to anyhow. Her ultimate goal was to help bring down Voldemort, not actually help his cause. If Dumbledore knew what she was attempting, he would have stopped it long ago.

A sound of someone moving in the darkness caught her ear. She turned to face what was approaching. Fear filled her once again, but she pushed it down. Nothing could take over her now; she needed all that she had to face the obstacle at hand. Slowly a light, as if from a wand drew closer. After a moment, the figure with the wand began to be discernable. A gasp escaped Tonks before she knew what was happening. She almost fainted from shock, but instead her legs lost all power. She found herself sitting on the ground as the figure finally saw her. He moved with care towards her.

A flash of light, and then Tonks saw a very familiar Patronus racing towards her. After a second, the wolfish Patronus was racing away from her. The riddle had told her that she needed to fool Remus, but that was a lost cause. His sense of smell was such that she would never be able to fool him. His sending the Patronus told her that, he already knew who stood in front of him. Slowly she got to her feet.

Her stance was defensive as she faced the worn figure. “Stop there! Who are you and what are you doing here? Obviously you aren’t a Dementor!”

After pausing a few feet away from her, his hoarse voice finally said, “I am not sure exactly why I’m here. Fenrir Greyback sent me here. He told me it was a mission to prove my worth to the Dark Lord. My name is Remus Lupin.”

Tonks stood there and studied him for a moment. Remus looked run down and exhausted. It was then she remembered it was the full moon that night. In just a few hours, the moon would be rising. What would she do if Remus transformed and tried to attack her? Killing him wasn’t an option, considering she would rather die herself first.

Remus acknowledged the flash of fear that crossed her eyes with a nod. Tonks noticed the same fear showing in his. Remus would rather die himself then to know he attacked or killed a friend. There was no where for either of them to go to get away from the other, until the Dark Lord willed it so. Luckily, the moon would rise after midnight, meaning they had more time to find a way out of their current situation.

“And just who exactly are you?” Remus asked with a questioning look.

“Loralie Acker, at your service,” Tonks said with a bow. “I follow the Dark Lord and I fight to prove my worth to him. If he had but asked, I would have told him the Aurors have issued a search of Malfoy Manor which should be taking place within the hour. Malfoy has a few dark magic objects that they would like to find.”

In the distance an exclamation of dismay was heard. Tonks gave Remus a sly smile. She had seen a lock of blond hair coming out of one of the hoods when she was surrounded by the Death Eaters. Figuring Malfoy was a known Death Eater, just without proof, Tonks knew he would still be watched whether they found anything or not. The Order would keep their eyes on him.

Remus winked at her as he ran his hand across his tired face. He could feel the time for his transformation coming, and really wanted to get away from Tonks before it could happen.

“That is knowledge that is hard to come by. I have found that my uses are mostly in talking to other Dark creatures, such as myself.”

Tonks gasped as if this was news to her. She also made her skin look whiter. That was trick she had learned while in school, when she wanted to stay in bed. Most people believed she was sick that way.

“Oh, you couldn’t tell… I’m a werewolf,” Remus said calmly. “I also have Dumbledore’s ear. He had hired me as a teacher a few years ago at Hogwarts. Took me in as a charity case, it is rather hard to find work these days with the new werewolf laws. I would like to sink my teeth into that Umbridge lady at the Ministry.”

Tonks almost believed Remus when he said that, but she knew him better then that. He believed no one deserved the curse he had live almost his entire life with. That was part of why she loved him.

Suddenly, a steaming potion in a mug appeared before Remus. He quickly grabbed it and swallowed it down. Relief was etched on his face. Choking for a moment on the remaining dregs, Remus broke eye contact with Tonks.

Tonks recognized Wolfsbane Potion when she saw it. At least Remus wouldn’t loose his mind when he transformed now. She wouldn’t have to fight off a wild werewolf.

Suddenly, Remus stiffened. He quickly threw off his black cloak and pulled his robes off. His eyes begged her to look away. Tonks turned as she heard him scream in pain. Tears filled her eyes as she listened to the noise of his transformation. Closing her eyes at the thought of the pain he must me in, she silently waited for the noise to stop. After a few minutes, a cold nose touched her hand.

Turning slowly, Tonks found a huge werewolf standing beside her. Yellow eyes studied her face. Even though the color was different, love and pain showed through. This truly was still Remus.

Tonks walked over and folded his robes and cloak. She picked them up and looked at him. Evidently, they would be spending the rest of the night together. Even if it was the last of her life, she would take advantage of it. Fatigue was finally getting the best of her. Remus looked up at her, and curled up on the floor. His eyes seemed to tell her to lie down next to him. He would watch over her. Wearily, she did as he seemed to suggest. He actually made a decent pillow. Sleep overtook her.




Tonks woke up when her head hit the ground. Remus had stood up. Rubbing the lump forming on the back of her head, she sat up and looked around. Everything looked as it did when she fell asleep, but Remus had walked a few feet away. Realising she must have slept the night away, Tonks’ eyes opened wide and she jumped to her feet.

Howling in pain, Remus started transforming back into his human form. When all she heard was Remus gasping in pain, she unfolded his robes and turned back to him. Lying on his side looking away from her, Remus was gasping for breath. Tonks walked over and helped him put his robes back on. Suddenly another potion appeared by his hand. Tonks recognized it as a pain potion and helped Remus choke it down.

“You were never supposed to witness that. How could he be so cold? Somehow Severus is helping. He must have been left in charge of judging the test while the others went about their business,” Remus whispered.

Tonks fell to her knees, scrapping them on the rough floor. Feeling her blood flowing, she picked up Remus’s head and cradled it in her lap.

“I’m glad I was here. I know I would have been killed if Snape didn’t help, but I don’t care. My life is nothing without you in it. You are why I’m here in the first place. Now we need to find a way to get out of here alive, together,” Tonks softly spoke in his ear.

Suddenly, they weren’t alone anymore. Severus Snape stood in front of them. “The Dark Lord is pleased with your progress. Please follow me,” he said coldly.

Tonks helped Remus to his feet. He brushed her off as he stumbled after Snape. Weakness now would only get them killed. They ended up in the same room Tonks had started in.

“I am pleased with your results. You didn’t come out cleanly, but the werewolf did not recognize you,” the Dark Lord nodded at Tonks and then turned to Remus. “She showed fear of you. Both of you bear the scars of the night. Now you shall bear my mark.”

The Dark Lord raised his wand and drew a Dark Mark over Tonks’ left arm. He then faced Remus and did the same. He chanted something under his breath and the marks sunk and started burning their arms. Both gasped with pain. Remus fell to his knees in his weakened state, but kept from passing out. Tonks saw black spots in her vision as she fought to stay upright. After what felt like forever, it was over.





Tonks was practically carried by two Death Eaters and thrown into a dark, dank room. Her scrapped knees once more hit rough concrete, but she was too despondent to even feel them. The second Remus had left her line of vision, all will had left her. Up until that moment she had hoped she would be able to stay with him. As he was taken in a different direction, hopelessness and gloom had filled her.

Sliding up to the far corner of the cell, Tonks pulled her knees to her chest and rested her head on them. Tears started soaking through her cloak. She could hardly tell through the dampness of the cell. Loneliness filled every cell of her being. Yearning for the one person she had known she loved the first moment she laid eyes on him.

At six years old, Tonks was a very unusual child. This was mostly due to the fact that she could change her appearance at will. Most children her age, even the magical ones, found this very disturbing. This led her to spend much of her time alone. She loved it when her second-cousin Sirius decided to stop by. He loved playing with her, and always brought a gift of some sort. Usually something that her mum would rather she didn’t receive, such as Dun bombs or Exploding Snap Cards.

Tonks was playing in the garden when Sirius stopped by one early spring day. This time he brought one of his friends. The boy was thin and sickly looking, but the kindness and sparkle in his eyes stole Tonks little heart immediately. Walking over to them, she climbed immediately into this young man’s lap. She read the pain and suffering in his eyes, and she was determined to make him laugh. Starting with some of the funniest faces she could think of, Tonks started an afternoon full of laughing and fun.


It was many years until Tonks saw Remus again. When she did, that afternoon came back in every detail. The warm sun on her bare arms, the way his laughter took a moment to reach his eyes, the lemonade her mother brought out to cool them down, etcetera. That was the first memory that brought her to this cell, crying and lost.

It was one month earlier. Tonks sat alone on her couch, pondering how she could help the Order of the Phoenix. Remus had left a month ago and not a person had heard anything from him since. Fearing for his life among the werewolves, Tonks could think of nothing but finding a way to help him. Knowing that Fenrir Greyback was a Death Eater gave her an idea. The hard part would be implementing it. What would even get one of the Death Eaters think she would actually want to join them, and accept her even if they did? That was when it hit her; she was from the Noble and Most Ancient House of Black! Playing on her relationship to Narcissa Malfoy and Bellatrix Lestrange would at least get her in the door. Then it would just be a matter of bending the truth a little. No one that was smart would lie straight out to Voldemort.

Thinking hard, she tried to come up with some play-on words that would lead Voldemort to know she was telling the truth, even when she actually was misleading him. Her father had died a few years ago, and had no close family left. No Muggle relatives were alive for her to keep contact with. That was one bonus. Her mother lived alone, and tried to foolishly pretend her father was just away on a business trip. (Tonks knew it was an act due to hearing her mum talking to herself about it.) She would have to think a little more into it, but should be able to be convincing. Her ability to morph and her connections to the Aurors should make good bargaining tools.

This could actually work! Finding Remus would make Tonks breath easier and help the Order at the same time. Now all she had to do was find her Aunt Bella or Aunt Cissa. She knew where Aunt Cissa was, it would just take a day or two of preparation.


That was the moment that brought her to this pain and torture. Now what was she going to do? She found Remus, only to lose him a few hours later.





Sleep must have over taken her. It wasn’t near as restful as when she had slept using werewolf Remus as a pillow, but it was enough to clear her mind. Tonks studied the walls around her for a minute, and then her mind went back to her family.

Tonks had grown up knowing very little of her mother’s family. Having been disowned by her aunts, the rest of the family had followed the example to ignore Andromeda’s existence. Tonks had met her grandmother once. She was five years old and playing in the garden. When she ran into the house to show her mother a frog she had caught, she found an imposing gray-haired lady having tea with her mother. The woman glanced at the toad with disdain while her mother praised and encouraged her curiosity. Her mother sent her back out to the garden.

Tonks had stopped to listen once outside the room.

“Mother, I will not be leaving Ted for any reason. My daughter is happy and will not be going back with you. I don’t care what the family thinks of her father,” her mother exclaimed.

“Then I guess that both of you shall never have a part in the family again. Good day,” answered a cold voice.

Tonks was almost squashed behind the door as the woman came rushing out.


That was part of why it was so hard to approach her Aunt Cissa. Knowing her mother’s decisions would make it hard for her to break in. When she had approached the Malfoy Manor, the look she had received from her aunt had made her feel humiliated. The smirk from her son had been just as bad, if not worse.

Leaning back against the cold wall made her realised just how warm her arm still was. The pain had mostly faded, but much of the warmth was still there. It reminded her how far she had actually come. Fooling the Dark Lord was not something everyone was able to do. Bending the truth and not actually lying outright had been a smart plan.

She was luckily still alive and accepted as a Death Eater. She had managed to earn the Dark Lord's trust. Remus had helped by not giving her away and by being aware that both their lives were on the line. Snape had assisted a bit, much to her surprise, too.

These thoughts made her feel strong and gave her a want for revenge. How dare her family treat her as if she and her mother were dirt!

Her brain started giving her all sorts of funny pictures. Draco and Narcissa hung upside down in just their underwear, a bunch of other pure-bloods standing around, laughing at them. Bats flew out of aristocratic Narcissa’s nose, and many other funny scenes passed through Tonks mind.

Then she realized something. The best revenge would be to beat them! By fulfilling her role as a spy for Dumbledore, and beating Voldemort from inside his ranks, Tonks would show her family that she had some worth. It didn’t matter if it was by betraying them. It would prove that the daughter of a Muggle-born could bite back! With a smile, she leaned back against the wall, pleased with her decision.





A few hours later found Tonks standing once again in Voldemort’s presence. He studied her for a moment and then paced away from her.

“I have an easy mission for you. I am giving you a Portkey to one of my little known hideouts. There is a black box in a drawer of the desk in the library. I need that box brought to me. In it is an item that I need for a coming plan. I warn you not to try to open it. You mostly won’t walk away from it intact. When you are ready, take the quill on the desk. It will take you to your destination.”

Voldemort left the room with his big snake close behind him. Tonks took a deep breath and touched the Portkey. The feeling of a huge hook came around her middle, and the next thing she knew, she was falling.

Finding herself in a run-down garden, Tonks looked around. Figuring out where this place was wouldn’t be easy. Hoping she would be able to report where it was to Dumbledore, she found her eyes being pulled to someone walking through the ruins. Behind the person, a huge ruined mansion rose up from the ground. That must be where the box would be found.

Her eyes went back to the moving figure. Long black hair that reached the ground blew in the breeze around her. The figure turned towards Tonks. A green-tinged skin over a skeletal face came to Tonks’ eyes. She quickly raised her wand and shouted “Silencio” at the figure.

The figure raced towards her, but the killing scream of the banshee didn’t reach her due to her charm. Tonks fired ropes out of her wand that tied the banshee up tight. Making sure some of the ropes covered the banshee’s mouth, Tonks tied the ropes tight. None of Voldemort’s secret places would be without protection of some sort, even if it was just to keep the unwary or Muggles away.

Tonks headed towards the front door of the house. Easing the door open, she cautiously entered. Placing each foot with care, she slowly checked each room in order to find the library. It seemed like a slight noise would bring the entire house down around her. Finally she found a room about halfway down the hallway that appeared to have been used as a library at one point. Empty bookshelves lined the walls. Over against one wall was an old desk. It seemed the deep drawer was either stuck or locked.

“Alohomora” she softly said.

When she tugged again, the drawer came open. Inside was a black box, about the size of a shoe box. With some effort, Tonks pulled it out. It was deceptively heavy. Now that she had what she came for, she quietly went back outside. That was when it hit her; she had no idea how to get back to Voldemort. Bellatrix had taken her to the meeting the first time, and the Portkey had brought her here. Not having been given a way to go back she stood there, pondering.

After a moment, she tried Apparition, but that didn’t work. Then she tried summoning a Portkey. That didn’t work either. Voldemort would have wanted to keep people away from the hideout, so he must have used an anti-Apparition spell on the grounds. Wanting to stay away from the Aurors right now, she decided she couldn’t use magic off the grounds. Voldemort would have found ways to hide any magic used here. It would be pretty hard to explain the Dark Mark to her co-workers, and she had to get the box back to Voldemort to prove herself to him, though she would use that against him in the end.

After shrinking the box, she placed it in her pocket. Having learned a long time ago about her tripping prowess, she performed a spell that would keep anything from entering or exiting her pocket without the counter spell.

Looking around, she saw a glitter among the trees. After turning and examining it, she realized that it was a bunch of houses. Maybe it was a Muggle village. By finding out what village it was would help her lead Dumbledore here.

Walking carefully towards the roofs, Tonks kept her attention taking in everything she could about the area. There were lots of hills around, and the forests were fairly thick. That showed that there weren’t too many people around to thin the trees out. She must be quite a ways from any city.

As she found the outskirts of the town, she saw a sign. “Welcome to Ravenbury.”

Having never heard of that town, she decided to enter the town and look for a tavern. That would be the best place for her to feel out where she was, and how she could possibly get back to Voldemort without using magic.

There was a quaint little tavern in the middle of town. It was plainly called the Ravenbury Inn. Walking inside, she paused to let her eyes adjust to the dimmer indoors. Then she caught her breath. The person she most desired to see was sitting at the bar, and he actually seemed to be alone.

Tonks cautiously walked up and sat on the stool next to Remus. Looking at her out of the corner of his eye, she heard his gasp of breath at realising who was next to him. The next thing she knew, she was in a tight embrace.

“I was worried as to what they did with you after I last saw you! I was sent right back to the werewolves, when I wanted nothing other then to stay with you and make sure you were alright,” Remus exclaimed into her shoulder.

“I was thrown into a cell for a few days. I’m really not sure how long I was there. I did all of this so that I could find you in the first place. You had me worried when no one had heard from you for over a month. I was finally sent to pick something up, but I have no idea how to take it back. I didn’t get there on my own in the first place, so I have no idea where back is,” Tonks whispered into his ear.

“Well, let me buy you dinner, you look as if you haven’t eaten in a few days. Then I can help you get back. I have a Portkey that is supposed to take me there for report at 6:00. That means you have just under an hour to eat something. It is great seeing a friendly face, especially after so long. I can’t believe you let them give you the Dark Mark, and all just to find me! You shouldn’t have, you really shouldn’t. I’m not worth that,” Remus said with feeling.

Tonks looked him in the eyes as she said, “I had to. When you love someone, you will do whatever it takes to make sure they are ok. The pain I felt with you gone was just too much. I needed to know where you were and that you were still alive, and don’t you dare belittle your worth! You are worth everything to me, and someday I’ll get that through that furry little head of yours!”

“I still can’t believe you let that thing mark you for life, just for me,” Remus rushed on as she tried to interrupt. “Let’s get you something to eat before it is time to leave. They don’t seem to put much stock in eating regularly, but it helps you stay ahead of them. If you are too malnourished, you won’t be able to keep up your façade.”





Almost an hour later found Remus and Tonks outside of the village, where no one could see them. Both had their hand on an old book. Tonks felt the familiar pull of something under her navel. Then she was once again standing in front of the Dark Lord, but this time with Remus once more at her side.

Remus was immediately pulled off into a corner with Fenrir Greyback. That left Tonks standing in front of the Dark Lord, Bellatrix, and Snape. Tonks felt her knees start to shake with the looks they were giving her, and her eyes were glued to a dark and wet spot on the ground at her feet.

Snape took the box from her and went through some basic protocols to follow when around the higher up Death Eaters.

“Please look at the Dark Lord when he is addressing you,” Bellatrix told Tonks in her cold, cruel voice. Tonks does as Bellatrix instructs, even though it had been Snape giving her instructions.

“Someone has deeply insulted the Dark Lord, and he has decided that they need to be punished. You are to go to their house tonight and kill them. Do not worry. We have ensured that no one will get in your way, but if they should, I would like to think you could take care of them. Now, wouldn’t you like to know who you will be visiting?”

Tonks slowly nodded, dreading finding out who would be her first victim.

“You will be paying a visit to Elizabeth Ackerman. I believe you are familiar with her home, so you should not have a problem getting there.”

Tonks tried hard to suppress her gasp. Liz had been her best friend all through school. While they had been very close back then, Tonks hadn’t spoken to Liz in years. Although they were like strangers now, Tonks still couldn’t help but feel a strange sense of loyalty to her.

Turning quickly, Tonks exited before anyone could sense her hesitation. As she stood against the door, she knew she had a hard decision to make. Going back into that room and refusing to kill Liz would just end up in her own death. Somehow she had to find a way to get around this problem. Tonks apparated to her apartment to give it a few minutes of thought.





A few minutes after she got home, Remus knocked on here door. “Tonks, I know you are in there! Let me in. I think I have an idea to help you. After you left, I heard them talking and I know it is Snape that is in charge of keeping others away. That is good news for us. It gives us some leeway,” Remus said through the door.

Tonks opened it and threw herself in his arms. Patting her back, Remus led her back to the couch and sat her down.

“I’ve already sent a message to Dumbledore by Patronus that we need his help. He should be arriving here shortly. It is okay; we’ll help you keep your cover. I won’t let them get their dirty hands on you!” Remus said with feeling.

“Killing Liz isn’t an option. I know I’ve lost contact with her, but that was mostly because she went to St. Mungo’s for Healer training, and I went to the Ministry of Magic for Auror training. Life has just taken us in different directions,” Tonks babbled in her agitation.

A flash came from the fireplace, and Dumbledore was standing before them. “Remus has told me of your problem. The best option is to fake Ms. Ackerman’s death and put her into hiding. Even if we just put you, Tonks into hiding, someone else will try to kill Ms. Ackerman. By just having you pretend to kill her, we keep your cover and you can continue to spy on them for us. I will transfigure a body for them to find. Tonks will go and tell Ms. Ackerman what is happening as she pretends to duel her. Afterwards, I will hide Ms. Ackerman where no one will find her, and Tonks shall report back in that her task is fulfilled.”

Tonks was filled with awe at the plan. She had known that Dumbledore was a great man, but this really showed how great he actually was. “How do I make it seem like we are dueling, while I actually explain to her what is going on? I can’t do both at the same time!”

“I will help with that. I’ll make lots of flashes appear, though you will have to shout a few spells out loud to make it seem real. You don’t actually have to perform the spells though, I’ll make it convincing,” Remus volunteered.


Tonks knocked on Liz’s door. There was no one around outside. Liz answered with a shocked look on her face. “Tonks! It is so great to see you. It has been years! Come in, please!”

Looking around once more, Tonks walked inside. “My friend Remus will be flooing in within the next few minutes. No one must know he is here, okay? You have been targeted by Voldemort, and we need to get you into hiding. I know the plan, because I was sent to kill you. I have to pretend to do it, and then Dumbledore will put you someplace where you will be safe.”

Remus appeared at that moment. Dusting some of the dust off of himself, he started lights flashing through the house. He handed Tonks a bag.

“This is a Portkey. It will take you somewhere safe, Liz. Please, just go now! I hope we can catch up sometime, but that probably won’t happen until after the war. Now go!” Tonks pushed the bag into Liz’s hands.

Liz looked at her in confusion, but then reality seemed to hit her. Giving Tonks a quick hug, she took the bag. As her hand hit the object that was inside, she disappeared. Tonks started shouting curses and a body appeared by the couch. Grabbing hands, Remus and Tonks apparated together back to her apartment.

“Oh Remus, that was so hard! Thank you for your help,” Tonks sobbed into his shoulder.

As she lifted her face, his lips met hers in a kiss full of love. After a few moments, Tonks leaned back and looked him in the eyes. Life was going just the way she wanted it to now.

Sighing, Tonks pulled out of his arms. “I better report in, or they will think I ran off.”

Right then, a knock came from the front door. Tonks walked over and opened it. Snape stood outside.

“The Dark Lord has sent me to tell you good job. He is pleased with the way you handled Ms. Ackerman. When he needs your services again, you will know by the mark on your arm. Gather any information that might come in handy to him, and he will be well pleased,” Snape sneered to a surprised Tonks. “Until next time…”

The next moment, he was gone. Tonks walked back to the couch. Sitting down close to Remus, she pushed her way under his arm. Strength passed to her from him. From here on out, she knew she could face whatever the Dark Mark on her arm brought, as long as he was by her side.

“Whatever you do, please don’t leave me for so long again. I don’t know if I could handle it,” Tonks spoke softly into the room.

“I’ll do everything in my power to be here for you. I finally realise what I have been missing in my life. I don’t want to feel that lonely again.” Remus leaned down and pulled her eyes up to meet his. He then leaned over and gave her a gentle kiss.

Sighing in contentment, Tonks kissed him back.