Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

There is a Method to his Madness by Polaris

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I had this idea over dinner one day and just fell in love with it. VV said it might make a good submission to the main archive, so, here it is. :)
Hope you enjoy it.
~ Polaris


Mad-Eye Moody sat on the couch in front of the television watching Wizarding television, frantically flipping through the news stations. Never admitting to himself it was actually only one face he was looking for, hope shining in his eyes.

Nothing. Nothing. And again, nothing. His shoulders slumped and his face wore its characteristic frown once more.

Suddenly, he did a double take and flipped back a channel. His mouth fell open, his face held shock and utter disbelief. There, gazing at him, a vacant expression upon a once youthful face, was his daughter.

He jumped up and Apparated to St. Mungo's, not bothering to turn the television off, leaving the haggard face to stare empty eyed at an empty living room.

He arrived at St. Mungo's in flurry of a deep green cloak and snow. Quickly, he scanned the waiting room for the Minster or another Auror. He spotted one soon enough and walked over to his colleague, Andrew.

Ah, hello, Alastor.

The man only received a gruff, 'Lo, in response. I can identify-

The girl that was just brought in? Good. She could use some help. Just sits staring into space unless you tell her to do something. Very mechanical, really.

Moody was beginning to get impatient with his friend, who continued to drone on about the girl and her present condition, and spat. Can you just take me to where she is?

Andrew looked taken aback, but said calmly. Certainly. And began to lead Moody to where the girl, his long lost daughter, was being treated.

He walked into the room, room 24, a number he would always remember. He hurried in and sank down into a hard, wooden chair near her bed. She lay against the white pillows staring at the ceiling, her eyes glazed over, taking no notice of her surroundings. Tears threatened to spill from his eyes, yet he held them back. He could not cry. He would not cry.

He gazed at the face once more, to be sure it was really her. The carefree, happy young girl who had once called him 'daddy.' It was her. Of course it was her. The eyes gave it away. She had brilliant blue eyes, the color of Moody's false one. He muttered under his breath. Imperius...

---------
[i]A young girl with sparkling blue eyes held her arms out to him. “I love you, daddy ”

He caught her up in a bear hug and twirled her around as she screamed with joy, arms out-stretched, astute blue eyes gazing up at the sky.[/i]

-----

Andrew stood at the door, slightly startled at how soft his usually stern colleague seemed.

Alastor, would you like me to get the Minister instead?

Moody, now jerked out of his memories, shook his head. I'd rather tell you, friend. It would be easier for me... He heaved a sigh and continued, This, is my daughter. My daughter. My beautiful Emilia. She was kidnaped one day by Death Eaters, seven years ago when I was off on a mission for the Or-the... the Minister. Voldemort was still strong and was targeting Aurors and their families. Andrew. It’s all my fault I...I shouldn’t have gone. I knew better...I should have stayed with her.

-----

[/i]“Daddy You can’t go You can’t ” The young Emilia ran up to him. “What if something happens to you?”

Moody heaved a sigh. “I’ll be fine, sweet. Just fine. You know I will.”

“No. I don’t know And neither do you, and neither does the old hag in the Wizarding district that claims she can read the future. No one knows, daddy.” Emilia frowned at him, her eyes aflame. Then, she suddenly ran up and hugged him, sobbing. “I just want you to be okay, daddy. And I want you to come back to me, safe and sound.”[/i]

-----

Andrew walked up to the vulnerable old man and patted him on the back, not knowing what to say. He had only known Moody for three years, yet he realized how much this meant to the wise, old Auror.

The tears that threatened to spill over, finally did. Opening the flood gates, and allowing rivers to be formed down Moody's wrinkled, scarred face.

Again, Andrew was startled. His friend, who he knew to always be strong, strict and tough, was breaking down in front of him.

She was such a head strong girl. Very independent. She loved to learn. And now... he let out a bitter laugh. Now she cannot finish Healer Training. She won't be able to follow her dream. Her dream that meant so much to her. And...she'll never say no to me...again...

-----
[i]“Daddy.”

“Yes, sweet?”

“I know what I’m going to be when I grow up ”

“And what would that be?”

With such conviction for someone so young, Emilia responded. “A healer, daddy ”

Emilia jumped up onto her father’s lap, she was carrying a picture of her mother in her healer’s uniform. “See? Just like mummy. I’ll be a healer and save people ”[/i]

-----
[i]“Emilia The laundry, and death, wait for no man nor woman, you know ”

“Of course, daddy. But I think the laundry can wait for me just this once. Especially if death is running towards me.” She pouted.

“Emilia.”

“Daddy ” She laughed heartily, hugged her father, then ran outside to skate on the frozen pond.[/i]
-----

A fresh torrent of tears cascaded down his worn and worried face.

Again, Andrew was lost for words. Unable to relate to what Moody was going through.

I'll tell her to do her chores and she'll never pout again...

Moody put his face in his hands then suddenly looked up, Will I ever tell her to do her chores again?

“It’ll be all right, Alastor. I’m sure-“

He grabbed Andrew by the shoulders and shook him, “Will she ever be well enough to even come home?

At this point a healer walked in, Moody let go of Andrew and slumped back in his chair. The healer glanced at both men and proceeded to giver her report, Jane Doe-

Emilia. Moody interrupted curtly.

Ah, so she has been identified. The healer smiled slightly before continuing. Emilia has been under the Imperius curse for quite some time-

We know that, you idiot.
Andrew looked at Moody's frowning face. Erm...Excuse him. He's just...shocked is all-

Moody stood suddenly, and in a flash of anger threw his chair against the wall, shattering it into a thousand pieces. The dull-blonde haired girl on the bed didn't even flinch.

He slammed his fist into the wall, and after a minute of deep breathing and counting to ten said. Shocked? No. Not shocked. In pain, Andrew. In hell.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two weeks later, Moody sat at his daughter's bed side, calling softly. Emilia? Emilia, it's daddy.

The girl showed no signs of recognition. Eyes empty, still staring at the empty ceiling, not a spark of life left. He sighed and leaned back in the chair. This time he said, Emilia, look at me.

Emilia turned her head, looking at him with vacant deep blue eyes. It didn't look right for such eyes to be so hollow.

Moody could only watch as his daughter's already emaciated body steadily grew frailer. She ate when told to, but could not keep the food down no matter what she was told. There was always a gleaming silver bucket near her bed now.

The days passed and Emilia showed no signs of recovering. She never said anything. She never made a noise.

Ironic that such a loud child left life without a single sound. One day, her eye lids fell shut over her glazed over blue eyes and never opened.

Moody cried that day. Emilia had lost her will to live. She, who had had so much life, pizazz and vivacity. She who wanted to live her life to the fullest, do everything she could. She who was independent, and stubborn. Had none of that left. And that day, even the birds chirped in silence.

That day. June 24, 1975. A day Moody would never forget. The day he lost his family, his love, his friend, his daughter.

When Moody went back to work after the funeral, he called all the Aurors into the large auditorium and stood on the stage in the center and said in a booming voie, From now on, we will be giving a training course in resisting the Imperius Curse. This can only be achieved through constant vigilance. CONSTANT VIGILANCE

He eyed everyone in the room. You will all start tomorrow.

Chatter eupted amongst the Aurors. Andrew, who was standing at the back watching the proceedings, shushed them all.
Moody continued. Always remember constant vigilance.

His eyes swept the room once more. You may go.

All the Aurors shuffled out, whispering over what had just transpired.

[i]And always remember Emilia. Your daughter, your beautiful, kind, loving, independent daughter, who taught you this lesson. Even the most stubborn of us will eventually break...we need to learn to fight it off. Constant vigilance [/i]

Moody gave a gruff nod to no one and walked off the stage to visit his daughter's grave.