Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Meant to Be by annie

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
[A/N: Sorry I've been so long in updating (at least relative to the amount of time it usually takes me to submit a new chapter), my computer was momentarily taken away. Also, this is the last pre-written chapter I have so I'll have to start writing again, meaning it will take me a little longer than usual to post new chapters from now on.]


2 months later

Hermione watched a single, golden leaf drift gracefully towards the lake, her eyes following its every movement. It fell lightly upon the clear surface of the water, and tiny ripples formed around it, spreading out until they were no more.

It was December, and the last of the autumn leaves had just fallen off of the maple tree beside the lake. Hermione was leaning against this tree, bundled in cloaks and scarves to counter the icy cold winter gusts of wind.

Since her conversation with Draco near this very spot 2 months ago, the two of them had remained friends, but nothing more. The allievrae still lay on the desk in Hermione's room, untouched since the last time it had shown the future to her.

In the distance, Hermione heard Hagrid calling out, "All students goin' home fer the break, over here!"

Draco is getting into one of those carriages right now to leave for 3 weeks, she thought miserably. She had not had the chance to say good-bye to him before he left, and now she wished more than anything she could have.

"Oh well," she sighed. "I might as well go back inside; Harry and Ron will be wondering where I went." She had also amended her friendships with her two friends since their argument, and, they although they still didn't approve of it, had at last accepted the fact that Hermione was friends - or something more - with one of their least favourite people.

Hermione stood up and brushed the leaves off of her cloak. She stretched, shivering when a blast of wind hit her, then turned around and started walking back to the castle.

As she did, thoughts of Draco drifted into her mind. This was nothing new; lately, whenever she was alone, she tended to think about him. Funny how we're just friends when we both know we love each other, she thought, the irony of it making her smile bitterly. I guess it's times like these I wish I never met him, wish I never fell in love with him...what changed between us? Was it just me, or him as well? A year ago, I never would have imagined that I would feel so strongly about Draco Malfoy. But he's stolen my heart and now I can't have it back...

With a start, she realized that she had been standing in front of the entrance doors for a few minutes now, lost in her thoughts. Opening the door, she walked in and was immediately greeted with a bright, colourful banner hanging from the ceiling a few feet in front of her. The words, "Join us for Hogwarts' 1st ever Winter Masquerade! Date: January 2nd. Time: 8:00PM-12AM. Attire: This will be a chance for the school to experience a non-wizarding ball, so please dress in Muggle clothes such as ball gowns and tuxedos." were painted upon it in light blue paint.

Hermione looked around in surprise. No wonder why there are so many people staying for the break, she realized. The hallway was bustling with activity; it almost looked like a regular school day. With the idea of a masked party coming up, she smiled and began heading towards the Gryffindor common room.

When she reached the Fat Lady, she said the password (being the Head Girl did have its perks, after all; she had access to all the passwords in Hogwarts), and climbed inside. To her delight, Harry, Ron, and their two friends, Seamus and Dean, were sitting in the common room and looking at a small, round object.

"What is that?" she asked curiously as she approached the four of them.

They all jumped in surprise, but recovered quickly when they saw Hermione standing behind them.

"It's a mood detector," Harry said with a grin. "Seamus got it from his aunt."

"Yeah, and it works pretty well too!" the other boy added. "Try it, Hermione. If it turns purple, it means you're angry, blue means you're sad, yellow means you're holding something you want to say back, green means you hate someone at the moment, red means you're in lust, and pink means you're in love."

A year ago, Hermione would have confiscated the item immediately and taken it to McGonagall. As it was, her experience with the allievrae made her intrigued by the idea of discovering another object with magical properties.

"How about you try it first, Ron?" she said, turning to her friend.

He shrugged, and picked up the metal ball. The other four students leaned forward in anticipation. The mood detector began to shimmer, then it turned a bright scarlet. Everyone started cracking up, and Ron's ears soon matched the lovely shade of the ball he held in his hand.

"This is bull. I don't think it works, Seamus," he quickly said, throwing it down and crossing his arms. His bright red cheeks gave him away though, and his friends began pestering him about who the lucky lady was.

"Oh c'mon mate, just give us a hint," said Dean with a chuckle.

"It's no one," Ron replied angrily.

"We all know it's Parvati," Hermione said with a sly smile. She gestured at Harry, Seamus, and Dean to keep quiet and let her trick play out.

"Why in the world would it be Parvati? I mean, Lavender is so much better looking and -" He stopped mid-sentence with a mortified expression on his face.

The other four burst out laughing again. "I knew it!" cried Harry gleefully. "It's so obvious."

"Don't tell her," mumbled Ron with his face buried in his hands.

"We won't, no need to worry," Dean replied.

"May I try now?" Hermione asked after everyone had calmed down.

Seamus nodded, and said, "Go ahead."

Hermione thanked him, and picked up the mood detector. It was heavy, and as she tightened her grip on it, it began to shimmer and warm up. Suddenly, it turned a light pink. For a moment, she struggled to remember what the pink meant; then, it came back to her - she was in love.

Her heart skipped a beat as she stared down at the small object in her hand. She could feel the eyes of the four boys on her, and she tried to think of something to say. "I...uh..."

"Who is it?" Dean asked in surprise.

"It's...no one you know," she replied.

Harry frowned, and said, "I think I know who he is. It's Malfoy, isn't it?"

Both Seamus's and Dean's mouths dropped open, but Ron just looked hurt. "Is he right, Hermione? You're in love with Malfoy?"

"No!" she protested weakly. "Why would I be in love with him?"

"I think you're lying," said Harry.

"And I think I'm not," she answered defiantly.

"Oh yeah? Then who is it?" he shot back.

Hermione looked desperately around for some support, but the other three looked like they didn't want to meddle with the argument that was brewing. After a moment of silence during which Hermione refused to answer Harry's question, Ron said, "Harry...maybe we should let the topic drop..."

She smiled gratefully at Ron, surprised that he had been mature enough to step in. She was used to him being the one who argued about petty issues; now it seemed like Harry had taken on that role.

"Fine," Harry spat out. "But if Hermione is in love with Malfoy..."

"Don't worry, she can't be. He's a foul little rat and she can do better than him. Right, Hermione?" Ron said, looking at Hermione with uncertainty.

"He...sure," she said through clenched teeth. "I'm going to go to my dormitory now. I'll see you guys later."

Spinning around on her heel, Hermione walked stiffly out of their common room. Once she had climbed out of the portrait and landed on the marble floor of the hallway outside, she immediately began stomping her way to her dormitory.

I was right, she thought furiously, ignoring Peeves, who was throwing SPEW badges at her. It ISN'T anyone they know. They don't know the real Draco. I'm the only one who does.