Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Peppermint by qwerty83

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
--------------------------

--------------------


Peppermint


-------------------


-------------------------



--------------------

Chapter 3

--------------------



The cauldron frothed a deep Prussian blue, just as the ancient text said it should, as Hermione painstakingly turned a disintegrating page with her specially purchased tongs. She held her breath as she did so. The book at which she was peering intently was nearly 1,500 years old and judging by its fragile condition, she guessed that any abrupt movement may well reduce the pages to dust. Such potions as the one that she was currently concocting were no longer printed in textbooks these days, for obvious reasons. The words were barely readable - all but faded away with time - but she just managed to make out the final stage of the method. She would need to let the deep blue mixture rest for exactly two days, then boil it thoroughly, cool and condense the vapour, and it would be ready. The colour would lighten with time as the potency increased.


Being a Potions Mistress, Hermione was well accustomed to spending hours on end in her classroom, fine tuning various concoctions, some of her own design. The skill with which she prepared the present potion demonstrated the many years of practise under the observant and often stern eye of her former teacher, then colleague, then partner, Professor Snape.


Hermione’s mind momentarily drifted back to the period of transition from student to staff member all those summers ago. She had left Hogwarts with an array of NEWTs but little clue as to what to do with them. It had only been after spending a few months away from the intensity of student life, and being free from the constant homework assignments and deadlines, that she had realised her true love of the subject of Potions. She had always delighted in the methodical approach and precision required, and if truth be told, it had only been the unrelenting glare and disapproval of her Slytherin teacher that had deterred her from pursuing the subject earlier. And so Hermione had applied for and carried out the required three-year undergraduate Potions studies before returning to Hogwarts with her ever-present thirst for knowledge and keen mind intact.


This had annoyed Severus Snape no end.


Potions Mistress. He had snorted into his pumpkin juice when Minerva had informed him of the latest addition to the staff.


But you must agree, Severus, she had protested in that maddeningly matter-of-fact way, it will lighten your individual workload considerably having Miss Granger with us. Heaven knows it’s a two-person job to teach OWL and NEWT Potions single-handedly….


He had only frowned at her and returned to his marking, inwardly fuming. Of course he knew that she was completely right, but he would be damned before he admitted it.


A subconscious smile tugged at the corners of Hermione’s mouth as she recalled the course of events following the start of her teaching career. Snape had barely acknowledged her for the first few months, and she had been equally steely in return, much to the exasperation of Headmistress Professor McGonagall. However, even she gave up trying to force the two stubborn teachers to see eye to eye after countless unsuccessful attempts.


So in the end, it was ironic that it was one of Professor McGonagall’s futile attempts that did in fact break not so much the ice but the glacier between them. Hermione’s thoughts drifted back….


They had all been having dinner at the staff table, Professor McGonagall seated in her customary position between Severus and Hermione. She had been peering at the two silently for a few minutes and Hermione had almost imagined the cogs mechanically turning in her head thinking of new ways in which to bridge the gap between her two hostile neighbours. And, right on cue “ “Severus,” she had announced in her clipped accent. The Potions Master turned to face her. “I was talking to Hermione yesterday.”


“Were you indeed,” he retorted, the note of annoyance in his voice unmistakeable as he stabbed a forkful of green beans with unnecessary force. He turned back to his meal, his stony expression unaltered.


Silence.


“Yes,” Minerva persevered. “She mentioned an article that she had been reading in Potions Today, but I think you’d be much better adapted than myself to discuss such a topic….”


Hermione had rolled her eyes to herself. There had been no such conversation.


Silence again.


At the lack of reply, Minerva put her fork down and turned to face her stubborn colleague. “I said “ ”


“I heard you very clearly,” came the cool reply.


“So “ ”


“And the answer is yes “ ”


Minerva had looked at him in surprise.


Severus put down his knife and gave her his full attention. “ - that if Miss Granger and I ever get married you can rest assured that you will take full credit for the happy event and be named Godmother to all of our twenty-six children due to your relentless and admirable efforts to play matchmaker for the two of us.”


Minerva’s face had instantly whitened at this and her lips formed a thin line. All of this speech had been delivered in Snape’s usual formidable tone, which only served to increase the hilarity of the statement, and Hermione had snorted so forcefully that she had inhaled half of her soup.


And then had come the unusual part. She had caught Snape’s eye quite by accident and there had been an unmistakeable glint beneath that cool exterior. It had remained for a mere split second before he jerked his gaze away, leaving Hermione staring at the back of his head.


She remembered jolting a little at that. Now…that’s interesting….


And, as it had turned out, Severus Snape and Hermione Granger had not been so very different after all.


Hermione shook her head free of the reminiscence, her eyes slightly moist, and returned her attention to the task before her.


Even though Hermione was keeping a safe distance away from the cauldron, wearing a heat-resistant visor and protective gloves that extended well past her elbows, she could still feel the power surging from the potion, and took great care not to look directly at the emerald glow that was encircling the cauldron. She had tripled the strength of the potion in order to increase its potency.


The cauldron placed safely in a cupboard, and a few muttered concealing spells later, Hermione reached for a cloth to wipe the desk. She quickly discarded the protective clothing and made a start on the cleaning. She needn’t rush. Severus wouldn’t be back for at least -


“Hermione!” The door to the laboratory opened and Severus appeared.


Hermione’s eyes widened in alarm. She hurriedly grabbed some of the bottles and ingredients on the table and shoved them desperately into the drawer beneath the desk. What was he doing here? He wasn’t due back for another hour at least. This was terrible, this potion was supposed to be a surprise….


Snape stirred behind her, his keen nose sniffing the air. What was that smell? Was it - ? Highly unusual. Snape chuckled to himself as he quickly covered the distance between them and wrapped his arms gently around her waist, moving closer, his face inches away from the back of her neck.


“I don’t believe I’m familiar with this potion.” His voice lowered to a barely audible whisper. “Would you care to explain the finer points with me…?” His lips grazed the soft skin just beneath her ear and Hermione shuddered. He always knew he had complete control over her when he held her like that. A tear threatened to escape her right eye but she fiercely held it back.


Don’t be weak, she told herself.


“I never could resist - ” he murmured into her ear, his soft breath tickling her as his grip around her waist tightened.


It would be so easy to just lean back into his embrace….


Hermione forced herself to revisit the hurtful memories that constantly brewed beneath the surface of her mind these days…a dark figure leaning to whisper in a young witch’s ear…a look of guilt flashing over his face on being questioned where he had been…and she felt a familiar surge of anger flare within her chest once more. “I know, this is a special surprise for you” Hermione gasped, forcing the self-control that she required at precisely this moment and pulling away from him. Her hands moved hurriedly across the desk, further concealing the remainder of the bottles and instructions that lay there. “You’re not supposed to see it yet! It’s not ready - ” She wrestled his grip and pried his fingers from her waist. He reluctantly relaxed his hold, a slightly bemused expression stealing over his features.


“Are you hiding something from me?” he questioned, his lips curling slightly as a smirk tugged at the corners of his mouth.


Hermione squeaked and spun around to face him, her hair falling in front of her face. “Hiding…? Of course not…don’t be ridicul “ ”


But she was cut off as Snape’s black eyes fixed her in place, glinting in amusement at her flustered look. He leaned towards her slowly, pinning her against the desk and placing his hands on the surface either side of her, his face inches from hers. “Good,” he murmured, his breath tickling her cheek as he stole a soft kiss, his lips lingering for just a second on her skin. Hermione’s eyes fluttered closed as he raised a gentle hand to tuck a stray lock of hair behind her ear with a spider’s touch and let his finger trail slowly down her neck, sending a shiver straight to her spine. Hermione swallowed, her throat suddenly dry. Damn him, he’d always been able to completely floor her with just one look, just one soft touch…. Before she even noticed - and before her eyes had barely opened - he had crossed the floor and exited the room, his quiet steps hidden in the swirl of his robes.


She exhaled heavily the breath that she hadn’t even known she was holding and stared at the doorway that Severus had just walked through, her blood pounding in her ears. With trembling fingers, she rubbed her eyes and slowly turned towards workbench once more, her shoulders shaking with every breath.


That had been a close call.