Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Pensieve by MagicalMystique

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Special thanks goes to my beta, Weasleyboyfreak, and to my friend, Catherine, for believing in this story. Thank you both! Please read and review. I will respond to all of them.
The air was disgustingly thick on the grounds of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Severus felt as though he could not breathe, with all of the smoke in the air. The crowded area seemed deathly silent but it was Snape’s beating heart and heavy heaving of his lungs that blocked out all of the screaming from the students. It was the exact opposite of silence. The scene in front of him could be described in one word; chaotic. His mind was only on one thing; getting Draco Malfoy back to the Dark Lord.

The boy was a coward. It was something that Snape should have realized many years ago. He was a silly, stupid coward with far too much confidence, not to mention a very large superiority complex. Sadly, a perfect example of a Slytherin, he thought to himself as he and Draco ran towards the gates of Hogwarts. It was the first time in Snape’s lifetime that he had ever thought of the traits of the Slytherins to be more of a hindrance than a help. If the silly boy had come to him during the year, perhaps the mayhem surrounding them now could have been averted. But no, the brat’s arrogance and over-confidence had once again placed the Malfoy family in danger. Draco Malfoy was perhaps the poster boy of what a Slytherin should become and should inspire to be but he was most definitely not a murderer.

Ignoring the shouts of the Death Eaters, Severus took hold of Draco’s arm tightly and dragged him through the mass of yelling people. Within moments, Draco and the professor found themselves in the heart of Hogsmeade. The scene there was no less chaotic, with the many residents shouting about the Dark Mark and scampering about either trying to avoid it or get a closer look. Snape was very aware of Draco yelling at him.

“Why didn’t you let me do it?” the boy bellowed, as if talking to a child instead of his professor. “You got in the way, again! When I…” Snape turned sharply to the boy and grabbed his shoulders with a firm grip.

“Apparate to Lestrange Manor immediately!” he bellowed at Draco. The boy’s red cheeks drained and his eyes narrowed. Draco seemed offended that someone actually had the audacity to interrupt him. He opened his mouth to protest but Severus cut him off once again. He wasn’t in the mood to please anybody at the moment. “Do it now! There is no time to waste,” he spat at the boy. Draco looked as though he wanted to contradict the man, but instead disappeared with a loud pop and Severus followed suit.

The scene that had greeted them once the two had hit the ground was completely different than Hogsmeade. The grounds at the Lestrange Manor couldn’t have been more magnificent. A finely manicured lawn stretched up rolling hills to the base of a large, elegant manor. The moonlight reflected off the rich marble columns that stood at the grand entrance. A handsome brick walking path wound from the blackened iron gates along the looping cobbled drive. The gate was open. The manor would have appeared welcoming if it wasn’t for the fact that the most powerful dark wizard of the world was residing within the stately walls.

Draco stepped behind Snape, his ego suddenly deflated. Both Draco and Severus looked at the mansion rather apprehensively. Draco would certainly be punished for failing at his first task in the service of the Dark Lord and Snape would also be punished for not allowing Draco to go through with his plan. However, they both knew that their tardiness would just be another brick added to the cumbersome load of punishment the Dark Lord would set upon them, so they made their way to the mansion. Draco stood rooted to the spot, which made Severus smirk.

“Mr. Malfoy,” Snape said in his usual ice-cold tone, “It is unwise that we keep our Lord waiting.” Severus started to walk slowly, and Draco followed. Each step they took made there hearts beat faster. As they approached the door, Severus stopped.

“You are able to do as you wish, Mr. Malfoy. However, I would implore you to keep your explanation of tonight’s events short and to the point. Any additional information will only increase our Lord’s wrath. I’m sure your mother would not appreciate it if you put your family in harm’s way after the fighting is over, since she is expecting me to be responsible for your safety,” Snape said coolly.

“I will tell our Lord whatever I wish,” the boy spat quickly. “He will know how you repeatedly tried to interfere with my tasks throughout this entire year and how you stole my glory at the end of it all. It will be you that will face his wrath, not I.” Severus smirked but said nothing. Snape firmly grasped the large iron knocker in his sweaty palms and pulled it back, releasing it with a thud. It creaked open, and the two slowly walked into the highly polished entrance hall. The door slammed behind them after they were inside. The hall was dimly lit with a few slender black candles, but a roaring fire could be heard crackling in the parlor to the right of the entrance. Taking a breath, Severus led Draco into the room.

Without the large fire, the room would have been completely pitch black. Narcissa sat on a small couch, with her hands folded tightly on her lap and her eyes cast downward. Severus took note that she was shaking slightly. Bellatrix sat next to her sister, her arms crossed and her eyes staring right into Snape’s face. She wore a malicious smile that was reflected in her dark, wild eyes. Her husband stood behind her, his bony hands resting lightly on her shoulders. He too wore a smile, and it was making Severus Snape uneasy. Wormtail was just barely visible beside a large armchair, tending to a long, venomous snake coiled around the base of the chair. Sitting on the chair, arms placed casually on the sides and eyes studying the faces of the two newcomers, was Lord Voldemort.

“Is it done?” he asked in his usual high, cold voice. Swallowing hard, Draco nodded.

“The great, marvelous Albus Dumbledore is dead? It appears that he wasn’t quite as unbeatable as he imagined himself, doesn’t it?” Voldemort asked, chuckling cruelly. “Yet, I sense, young Mr. Malfoy, that not everything went as planned. Tell me, what happened?” His piercing red eyes gazed at Draco, boring into the boy’s face. Draco started to shake violently but met into Lord Voldemort’s wicked slits for eyes.