Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Getting It Out by longbottomluvr21

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
It was an early Saturday morning when Hermione woke up stretching. She had always woken up fairly early. She got up, showered, and lazily went to her dresser to pick out her clothes. She absent-mindedly chose a pale pink sweater and blue jeans. It was February 1st but it was still rather cold outside. Snow had been predicted for the past two weeks but not one flake had fallen yet. She picked up the book she was currently reading and set out for the Great Hall. There weren’t many people there yet but she preferred it that way. She began eating her leisurely breakfast while reading her book. Somehow it couldn’t quite capture her interest. The Great Hall was filled with valentine’s decorations, that all reminded her of her hopeless affection for a certain red-haired boy. After awhile more began to come in, including Ron and Harry. Both still seemed a little sleepy.

“Morning Harry, Ron” Hermione said.

“Morning Hermione” Harry said with a small yawn

“Morning Hermione” Ron said as he began pulling food towards his face, not bothering to place it on a plate. As Hermione watched him eat she couldn’t help but smile. There had always been something lovable about Ron. It wasn’t really his looks (but she did notice how manly he was looking these days), and it definitely wasn’t his brains. Whatever it was, it had Hermione hooked for 6 years now. She was absolutely head over heels for Ron! It was nothing like her pen-pal friendship with Viktor. But telling Ron how she felt always seemed out of the question. Hermione’s thoughts were broken when the owls came in with the mail. There seemed to be an unusually large number of owls today. They noticed all of the older students receiving letters, skipping over the younger ones. A buzz began to fill the hall. When the trio got their letters they all opened them in anticipation. Well actually Hermione and Harry opened theirs while Ron seemed to get his finger stuck in the top of the envelope… Harry read it aloud-

Valentine’s Ball On Valentine’s Day (of Course!)
For years 5,6, and 7 At 7 p.m.
Dress Robes required


Slowly both Ron and Hermione looked up at each other. Hermione’s eyes opened wide, Ron’s mouth open revealing unchewed food. Neither said anything for a moment or two until Ginny broke the silence.

“Finally I’m actually old enough to be included.” She said with a hint of sarcasm. Ron looked up in a very protective brother way and said

“And just who do you plan on going with?!”

“I haven’t decided yet” she replied,” Not that its any of your business.” Then she flipped her hair out of her face in an extremely girly way.

“Her hair is so pretty when she does that…” Harry thought. “Wait, What? This is Ron’s little sister. Little Ginny.” But for the first time Harry didn’t see her as “little Ginny”. For the first time Harry saw Ginny as the elegant women she was becoming.



Ron hurried back to the dormitory and began pacing. He had to ask her. He was not having another Yule Ball. He didn’t think he could stand watching Hermione dance with someone else again. He couldn’t watch someone else holding her, making her laugh. But how do you turn your best friend into a date?

He thought for a moment but after coming up with nothing he decided he’d just have it suck it up and get it out. He had loved Hermione too long to let another opportunity pass. Hermione! What if someone was asking her right this very moment? What if he was too late? But could he really ask her now? He hadn’t prepared anything. And he didn’t want to seem to eager. (After all he was a man) But he didn’t want to take chances. He went off to find her in her usual spot, and sure enough she was in the library.

“Hey Hermione.” Ron said trying not to sound too excited.

“Hi Ron.” Hermione said with her head still in her book. She copied something down onto a sheet of parchment then looked up at Ron.

“So you got your Valentine’s letter?” Ron asked. He figured if he set it up the right maybe it wouldn’t be so hard.

“ Uh huh…” said Hermione still deep in thought.

“Well who are you going to go with??” he said with a little more enthusiasm than he meant.

“I don’t know Ron. Whoever asks me that I actually want to go with.” She said looking up. “What if he actually asks me?!” She thought hopefully.

“Well let’s just say some guy may be considering asking you, but he doesn’t think he’s good enough.” Ron said.

“ Oh Great, he just wants to set me up with someone else. I should have known…” Hermione thought.

“Well do you think you would say yes?” Ron asked waiting for an answer.

“I really don’t know Ron. It really depends if I have any interest in this confidence lacking person at all.” Said Hermione a little annoyed. She had said it a little more hurtful than she had meant too, not knowing who she had really hurt was Ron.

“Oh yes well I suppose once you’ve had the wonderful Vicky no one else can really be good enough can they?” Ron said almost yelling.

“Why do you always have to refer to Viktor?” she half screamed at him.

“Maybe because you always have to compare everyone to him!” He said now a full yell. The Librarian quickly scolded him.

“May I remind you I never even mentioned him. You did,” and with that she gathered her things and stormed out.


Ginny sat in the common room by the fire and appeared to be thinking. Harry walked over to sit in the chair opposite her. He was nervous. Why was he nervous???

“Hey Ginny” He said his voice sounding a little higher than usual.

“Hey Harry.” She said back. Her voice sounded calm and together.

“ Thinking about something?” Harry asked.

“Just the dance. “ She replied.

“You’ll be going with Dean won’t you?” he asked slowly. She looked at him kind of surprised.

“Oh no, we broke up ages ago.” She said.

“ Oh,” Harry said a little embarrassed, but something about hearing that made him happy. “ I guess we haven’t really talked in a while”

“ Guess not” said Ginny. Harry eyes were melting her as they spoke. No Ginny your past this! You gave this up. Don’t set yourself up again! Just then Harry knocked over a few chess pieces Ron had left on the table.

“Oops” said Harry slightly blushing. Since when do I blush…he thought. He kneeled to pick up the stack.

“Here let me help” Ginny knelt down next to him and began to gather pieces. Her hair draped across her face as she kneeled over. She looked up ready to hand him what she’d gathered. But he was staring at her. He seemed like he was in some sort of trance. They paused, looking into each other’s eyes. She’s so beautiful. Why did she have to be so beautiful? Why did she have to be Ron’s little sister? He thought.

He’s gorgeous. Stop it Ginny he doesn’t love you. It’s wishful thinking. Don’t get yourself into this.

Harry couldn’t take it. He didn’t know what came over him but he felt like he loved Ginny. Like he always had. But he never really realized it.

Just as Harry began to lean in to kiss her she stood up.

“I should probably go to bed. It’s getting late.

“ Yea… your right.” Harry said awkwardly as he stood up.

“Well, good night” she said.

“Good night Ginny.” He answered. Then she walked up the stairs.



first fic so plz review :)