Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Why Couldn't the Good Times Last? by FredsFriend

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Sirius spent most of the rest of the time at home before he went to Hogwarts in his room. He had become very attached already to Harry. He was a faithful bird who was very obedient and willing to do whatever he said. Sirius would let him out the window every day and watch him soar around the neighborhood gracefully. He was a good flier and was very strong, but was graceful in every move he made. Sirius had decided to try teaching him tricks.

He had already taught him to catch an owl treat in his beak while flying around his room. Harry had turned out to be very good at this, so he continued to teach him more and more. Soon Harry had mastered every trick Sirius had taught him. He could now do anything from loop-the-loops in the air, to tailing Regulus until he went crazy, to obey all sorts of commands like “stay”, “fly”, and his favorite, “annoy Regulus”.

His mother highly disapproved of this and soon banned Sirius from letting Harry fly around the house and made him keep Harry in a cage during the day. Sirius was angry, but decided it was best not to argue. So he was confined to letting Harry out for an hour during the evenings to hunt.

As September the first came nearer, Sirius’s excitement mounted. He could not wait to go to Hogwarts and get away from home. However, he didn’t have to wait until Hogwarts for something exciting to happen.

About a fortnight before Sirius was to go to Hogwarts, he was sitting at the breakfast table eating, when the mail arrived. Sirius looked up, hoping to get something more from Hogwarts, perhaps information about his classes. To his surprise and delight, one of three owls flew toward him carrying an oddly shaped package.

“What did he get, mum? That’s not fair! I didn’t get anything!” wailed Regulus.

Sirius’s mother looked at him sharply. “Well, open it!” she barked.

Amazed, Sirius unwrapped the parcel, and out fell a broomstick. Sirius gently lifted it up and looked at the handle. He gasped. “A Nimbus 1000!” he whispered to himself.

“WHAT! MUM THAT’S NOT FAIR, I DIDN’T GET ONE! YOU BETTER GET ME ONE TOO! TAKE IT AWAY FROM HIM! IT’S NOT FAIR!” screamed Regulus, who then went into a screaming tantrum.

Sirius was in awe. He had a Nimbus 1000! A real Nimbus 1000! The best broomstick there was! But who would have sent him this? Most of his relatives didn’t like him, and he didn’t like them back, and his parents certainly wouldn’t have bought him something so expensive. He searched through the wrapping and found a small card. It read:

Dear Sirius,

Congratulations on being accepted to Hogwarts! I‘m proud of you. I think you will enjoy it there very much, and will do well. You always were very intelligent.

I hope you enjoy this present. I know that first years are not allowed brooms, but I also know that you like quidditch, and are good at it, so you can start practicing for tryouts for the team in your second year.

I hope you will be happy in the house you are sorted into, and make many new friends! I may not see you for a while, so until then, good-bye!

Yours Sincerely,

Uncle Alphard


Uncle Alphard! Of course, he should have known. His Uncle Alphard was one of the few relatives he liked. He was not at all like the rest of the family. He was a kind, wise man. He had told Sirius many stories of his childhood and had shared with Sirius on many matters. These stories had helped Sirius realize that being pureblood wasn’t everything. His uncle also shared his opinion in this, and confided that he did not much care for purebloods who acted like they owned the world, like his family. Sirius received letters from his Uncle very rarely, but enjoyed it when he did.

Sirius became aware that Regulus had calmed down. He was sitting at the table his face red and his eyes puffy, but looking murderous. His mother was staring at him coldly, obviously trying to contain her anger.

“Who sent this to you?” she asked angrily.

“Uncle Alphard,” he replied happily. He knew she wouldn’t take it away because it was sent to him by a family member, and she didn’t know Alphard was opposed to purebloods like his family.

She snatched the letter from his hand and read it quickly. “Take it to your room now,” she said sharply. “You are only to use it in the backyard if no one else is there, and you may only stay in the backyard. I will not have you flying out of its boundaries and being seen by muggles.”

“Can’t I go now?” Sirius asked. He couldn’t wait to try it.

“Fine!” she snarled, and he picked up his broom and hurried outside.

It was pleasant out; warm, but not hot, with a breeze. Sirius mounted his broom and kicked off. He grinned. The handle was sleek and shiny, and maneuvered skillfully through the air with the lightest touch. He knew now why they called the Nimbus 1000’s the very best broom there was. It was amazing! He felt that it shamed the old Cleansweep he had received when he was small.

And as he streaked through the yard Sirius felt truly happy, for once, something he hadn’t felt for a very long time.