Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Why Couldn't the Good Times Last? by FredsFriend

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I'm sorry this chapter is really short too. I promise that they will get longer!!!!! Please review, I would really appreciate it!!!!!!!
It was a bright sunny afternoon, and the Marauders were sitting in the Great Hall eating lunch, when James brought up a truly amazing fact.

“Sirius, I just realized something. We have been so caught up with Remus’s furry little problem, that we haven’t pulled any pranks lately,” said James, who looked horrified at the idea of the Slytherins having a moment of peace.

“Oh God! I forgot about that! We need to do something,” Sirius said, and they all leaned in, as they always did when plotting something.

“Who should be the next target?” James asked quietly.

“How about that greasy, big-nosed, git of a Slytherin that tripped and spilled my potion yesterday,” Sirius replied with venom. “He’s a friend of my dear cousin’s and he’s in our year.”

James grinned evilly. “Excellent, he’s the one who blew his big nose all over me too. His name is Snape. We’ll kill two birds with one stone.”

“First, he needs a nickname so we can talk of our plan in company. Ideas?” James asked.

“How about Snivellus?” Pete piped up.

All four sniggered. “Perfect. Let the games begin!” said James and they put their heads together to plan.



* * *



“Phase one begins shortly. The target approaches,” James muttered. And they turned to see Snape entering the great hall. As he passed their table James aimed his wand at him and muttered “Flora decorum.

James quickly stashed his wand back in his pocket and swiveled around to watch Snape. On his head was a wreath of flowers with little birds twittering around it. There was a moment of silence and the whole hall erupted in laughter, except for the Slytherins. Snape’s eyes narrowed and he tried to yank the wreath off his head, but it wouldn’t come off. He quickly attempted to run out of the hall, still tugging at the wreath, but when he reached the door, he slipped on a greased patch of floor, and fell in a tangle of birds and flowers.

The four Marauders were roaring in laughter, barely able to breathe, and watched as after a few minutes Snape managed to untangle himself and run out of the hall, his face burning.

The bell rang and the four got up and headed off to their classes, chests still heaving with laughter.



* * *



The second phase began at dinner. Snape arrived at dinner, his wreath of flowers still on his head; apparently he had not figured out how to get rid of them yet. Many people giggled as he entered. He glowered at them and sat down.

Sirius, James, Peter, and Remus grinned. “Nice spellwork, James,” said Remus.

“Thanks,” he replied, then added, “It’s time Sirius.”

Sirius nodded. He raced out of the hall and to the dormitory to get the invisibility cloak. He threw it on and went back down to the Great Hall. He crept silently over to the Slytherin table and found Snape sitting next to his cousin, Bellatrix. His bag was right underneath the bench. He silently eased it out, hid it under the cloak, and went back to the Gryffindor table.

“Got it!” he whispered in James’s ear.

James nodded, beckoned to the other two, and they walked up to Gryffindor tower.

The common room was empty because everyone was still down at dinner, so they sat down in front of the fire and opened Snape’s bag. They extracted his books and he passed them out to the four of them. They all opened the books, then rummaged in their own bags and found their quill and ink. Sirius opened the book he had been given. It was potions. Sirius grinned. This was going to be fun.



* * *



The four Marauders were sitting in the hall the next morning finishing breakfast. Last night they had replaced Snape’s bag back under the table, and were ready for the outcome of phase two that morning.

The bell rang and they headed off to potions. They entered the dungeon and sat down together. Professor Slughorn beamed down at his class. “’right,” he said “Open your books to page 312. Today we will be learning about basic healing potions.”

The Marauders flipped to the right page and smirked at each other before glancing over at the table of Slytherins in which Snape was sitting. Snape had just opened his book and gasped. His eyes narrowed and it looked as if steam was pouring from his ears.

“What’s that writing, Severus?” asked another Slytherin at his table.

Snape tried to hide his book away, but didn’t succeed. The Slytherin pulled it from his grasp and they all gathered around him to read it. Snape sat in is seat, rigid.

The Slytherins stared at it for a moment, and then burst into laughter. They were rolling in their seats

Snape snatched the book back, but it was immediately taken from his grasp once again by James. He pretended to study it for a moment, then held it up so the rest of the class could see. The whole class roared with laughter now also, for every single page was covered in hearts inscribed with:

S.S. + B.B.

Slughorn looked confused. “Now, now! Settle down, settle down!” he said. Eventually the class settled down and took their seats. Snape wrenched his book from James’s grasp, and took his seat too, fuming. The moment he sat down the Slytherins whispered “You like Bellatrix? Rodulphus is gonna kill you!”

“No!” Snape hissed vehemently.

“Then why did you write that all over your book?”

Snape didn’t answer.



* * *



It was one of the best days of the Marauders’ lives. The same thing happened in every single one of Snape’s classes, and it had spread all around the school. Whenever people passed him they would whisper “Going to write Bellatrix some poetry now?” and they would walk away sniggering.

The Marauders agreed that this was the best prank they had ever pulled. And as they were waiting in line to enter the Potions dungeon the next day, James whispered to Snape “This’ll teach you to never cross the Marauders again.”

Snape looked furious, and whispered back, “I will get you back for this one day, Potter, if it’s the last thing I do.”

The Marauders smirked. “Yes, yes, I’m sure,” said James, patting Snape on his head, which he had finally managed to relieve of the wreath, then making a face of disgust and wiping his hands on Snape’s robes. “I’d wash your hair if I were you, Snivellus,” he said seriously, and the four Marauders walked inside the dungeon, smirking once again.

And from that day on, Snape and the Marauders hated each other. Well, not even hated--they loathed each other, and all five knew that they always would. And also from that hate of Slytherin, their bond of friendship was sealed, and they knew that the Marauders would stick together until the end.

It’s only a pity that it couldn’t last forever.