Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Standing in the Rain by MarauderWannabe

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Song chapter to "Drive Away" by the All American rejects


My thoughts progress, I think about forever
My mind tells me maybe, maybe




She’s fine, you made sure of that. Harry thought as he lay in bed at number twelve Grimmauld Place. The last year had been torture, and he still hadn’t found all of the Horcruxes. He knew that the end was coming but he wasn’t sure when. What’s going to happen in the future? If I defeat Voldemort, will she still even want to TALK to me? Maybe, maybe she will.



Harry thought hard and long, sitting in the middle of his room, all he could think about was her. Memories kept floating to the top of his brain, but before he could feel anything he pushed them farther down, submerging them in the feelings that he knew he couldn’t have. He’ll know, he’ll find out. He always finds a way to ruin my life. The one thing I want more than anything I can’t have. Well, thanks a lot Voldemort for ruining everything for me.



He glanced over at the old desk in the room, positioned right under the window. Staring at the desk, memories of boggarts in desks floated to the top of his mind, along with thought of her and of course he pushed them down. He snapped his attention to the closed window. A white speck in the distance continually grew until it wasn’t only a hundred meters away from the window. He still didn’t move, knowing Hedwig was coming with a letter he didn’t really feel like reading. Harry waited until she was pecking at the window, and then he got up off the floor, walked over to the door and locked it before going to the desk. He slid the latch on the old window, letting the warm summer air take over him, as his long time friend swooped in and took a spot on the desk.



Sticking out her foot, he saw the familiar heavy yellow parchment, and the green ink, and his mind filled with dread. Harry took it off of her foot impatiently and ripped it open. He knew what is was going to say. He had been sent was the year before as well, one that he didn’t reply to.



Dear Mr. Potter,

I would like to remind you again that Hogwarts is fully functional again, even without Dumbledore here. I am writing to let you know, that you are more than welcome to come back to Hogwarts to complete your schooling, though you did not reply to my last letter over a year ago. If you are interested in coming back, please send an owl back with your owl no later than August 31st.



Your New Headmistress,

Professor M. McGonagall




Harry stared at it before ripping it up into a thousand pieces and throwing them into the rubbish bin next to his desk. She’s going into her seventh year now. Harry thought as he stared at the remains of his Hogwarts letter, that littered the bottom of the bin. Staring at the several pieces of blank parchment, he had an idea. A way for him to get all his emotions out of his head, and it was a way that no one would get hurt.



Only believe the things I wrote
I'll put it in a note, yeah
Cross my t's and dot my i's
Better say hello, don't you dare say goodbye
I'll write sincerely yours and sign my name
P.S. I love you, forever and today


Dear Ginny,



You’ll probably be able to guess who this letter is from, though I cannot write my name for your own protection. The last year has been really hard for me, not talking to you, except in a somewhat professional way. It’s been eating me up inside, and I can’t do it any longer. Every time I stare at something for to long it brings up a memory of us, or you. Whenever Ron says something about you, I try not to listen. Don’t throw this away before you finish, because there is something I need to say to you, but I don’t think I’ll have enough courage to until the end. See you around, Gin.



Sincerely,

The Guy Who Needs You Now More Than Ever



P.S. I love you, forever and today.




Even though he had no intention of sending the letter, Harry put it in an envelope, wrote Ginny on the front, and set it down next to a now resting Hedwig.



“I wish I could send it to you, Ginny,” he said out loud as he walked over to his bed, turned out the light, and fell asleep faster than he normally would have.



A now alert Hedwig looked at the envelope and tilted her head. She took the envelope in her beak, flew out the window and started toward the Burrow.





Harry woke up the next morning, and looked around his empty room. I wonder where Hedwig is? Maybe she is still out hunting. Harry thought as he ruffled his hair. He walked over to his desk to look out the window for Hedwig but didn’t see anything. He glanced down at his desk, and noticed his letter was gone. Harry looked on the ground, and in the rubbish bin. He even ventured outside his window and looked for a good hour, but he didn’t find anything. If I can’t find it, no one will Harry thought and completely forgot about the letter, until two weeks later.





“Ginny! I’ve missed you so much! How was France ?” Mrs. Weasley said as she hugged her only daughter, who was back from a holiday in France with Hermione.



“It was unbelievable! I would have written, but I forgot to bring my owl, and where we were staying was so high up in the mountains, I figured an owl wouldn’t have survived the journey!” Ginny replied, breaking away from her mother’s embrace.



“Well, there is quite the stack of letters up in your room, for only being gone two weeks; you must be one popular girl!” Mrs. Weasley replied as her daughter levitated her bags up the stairs and into her room.



Ginny walked into her room and immediately saw the stack of letters. She sat down, reading each one, laughing the entire time at the witty letters her best friends had sent her. A large roll of thunder went off in the distance and Ginny looked out of her window, and saw the torrential down poor going on outside and sighed. Good things always happened when it rained. She was just about to respond to her letters, when she noticed one had blown onto the floor. She picked it up and when she saw the handwriting she froze, that handwriting was all too familiar.



“Harry?” Ginny barely whispered as she ripped open the letter.





Two weeks go by, seems like it's been the weather
The rain falls down - she's crying, crying
My thoughts progress, she thinks about forever
Their hearts are bound - lying, lying






After reading the letter, Ginny couldn’t believe it. He LOVED her. Harry didn’t just like her, he LOVED her. Her brain still couldn’t process it, when her mother walked in the door.

“It’s really coming down out there, good thing were not going anywhere tonight,” her mother said as she placed a large pile of clothes onto Ginny’s bed.



“Actually Mom, I’m going to run over to headquarters, I think I left one of my sets of school robes over there from the beginning of the summer. You know me, I want to get an early start on packing,” Ginny said, seeing if her mother would see right through her lie.



“Okay, just make sure you don’t get too wet,” Mrs. Weasley replied as she left her daughter’s room.



Harry was sitting at the large dining room table, all by himself, eating a bowl of cereal when he heard thunder. The other members of the order had left a good hour ago, at 8 o’clock, leaving him alone in the large house he had inherited from his Godfather.



Once he finished his cereal, he went into the kitchen, dumping the remaining milk down the drain. The doorbell went off, and Harry couldn’t help remember the momentous occasion when they had taken down the large screaming portrait. Ginny had been there, standing next to Harry, daring not to look him in the eye. It had been after Dumbledore’s funeral, and Ginny hadn’t said two words to him. He went over and opened the door.



“Ginny?”