Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

She'd Never Guess by Eve

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The passerby wouldn't pay the slightest attention to the beauty that was Hogwarts. More likely they would scrunch up their nose at the illusion of ruins laid out before them. But on a full moon night, every star in the sky, and pure white snow on the ground, Hogwarts was truly magnificent. Lily Evans couldn't understand how anyone could just sleep through it.

It wasn't common knowledge but every night Lily sat at the window of the common room and looked out. Sometimes she did homework, sometimes she read, but mostly she just thought. School could be stressing out or some guy could be driving her crazy, but Lily never felt upset when she sat alone, the only one to witness Hogwarts at its most peaceful time.

Once again she wondered if she should keep a diary. Her mother had given her a lovely one before she left for Hogwarts but Lily hadn’t touched the thing. But now she considered the thought. It might even be relaxing. She reached for the notebook and the pen she kept in her purse. She’d never liked quills.

Dear Diary,
I hate saying that. It makes me feel like a little 8 year old trying to be mature. I’m actually 16. 16 isn’t so old though which is something I’ve discovered lately. I’m your typical teenage girl. I go crazy over guys, I stress about the tiniest things, and I’m always busy. Night time is the only time I sit down and relax. Honestly I wish I had some one to talk to besides a piece of paper. But my friends don’t really discuss serious things. I have maybe one good girl friend. But she’s not the type to open up to. She’s more the type you go to when you need shopping tips. She’s a good friend though. I mostly hang out with guys. One of them is the best guy I’ve ever met. Everyone says we’d be perfect together. He’s cute and smart and really sweet. Unfortunately my heart has never flipped seeing him. So I guess I don’t have those feelings.
I wish I did. Christmas is in a few days and I don’t have anyone to love. It makes me want to cry.


Lily stopped writing. The truth of it got to her. More than anything else she wanted a boy to fall in love with. So far it hadn’t happen. She yawned. The writing had relaxed her. She took a sip of her hot chocolate but jumped and spilled it when she heard people outside the portrait talking. Not wanting to explain to anyone why she was up at 3 in the morning, she grabbed her mug and stuffed her journal in her bag. As she ran, she didn’t notice it fall back beside the window.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Undiscovered yet again!” Sirius Black said triumphantly.

“Shut up,” his friend said with an amused smile. “Do you want to wake up the whole house?”

A short fat boy named Peter grinned. “Oh come on James, you have to admit, when that girl came out of nowhere you were scared to death.”

James rolled his eyes. Sometimes he worried about his friends. Sirius lived for a great adrenaline rush and Peter adored anything Sirius did. Turning into their illegal animagus forms and freeing a full grown werewolf every month was kid stuff to Sirius. He had had a ball tonight, fighting with their friend Moony to protect some random damsel in distress.

“We were lucky,” James said, not in the mood to play around. “We need to be more careful.”

Sirius looked annoyed. “No one got hurt, James. The danger is half the fun.”

He and Peter started to go up to the boys dormitory. “You coming?” Sirius said, turning around.

James shook his head. “You guys go ahead.”

Sirius shrugged and left him. He knew that James liked to think at night rather than sleep. He took his usual place at the window sill, looking out at the Hogwarts grounds. He smelled a trace of strawberries and wondered if some one had been sitting here a few moments before. He looked around and noticed some brown liquid in a puddle on the floor. In front of it, there was a notebook.

James considered leaving it alone. It was obvious that some one had left here in a hurry. They probably wouldn’t appreciate him picking up their things. But James wasn’t the type to ignore something so obvious. “Accio, notebook.”

It gently flew to him. He opened it and immediately realized it was a girl’s diary. You shouldn’t be reading this, a voice uncannily like his mothers said.

Oh well.

As he read it, he sympathized with the writer. Who wouldn’t want some one special when it was so close to Christmas? He knew he did. But unlike the girl, he knew who he wanted. He smiled and decided to give her some advice.

Dear Diary-that-belongs-to-someone-else,
I know what you mean. I’m also single this time of year and let me tell you it’s no picnic. My friends don’t seem to care so much but then again they all have girls they talk to and may even like them. I’m a guy, by the way. I’m 16 also, but not at all your usual teenager. I don’t like to worry about the small things. I prefer to just live. Things do end up being okay so I don’t waste my time trying to make them like I want. As for some one to love, well…. I know she’s out there. I just have to trust that we’ll find one other, you know? Well I have to go to sleep. I always come out here at night. Isn’t it peaceful? I hope to talk to you again. Sorry for reading your diary.


James closed it and slid it behind a curtain. He went to sleep with a smile one his face, grateful that there was some one else who thought the same way.