Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Together We Can by free_hugs

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Please review!
Ginny barely managed to pull herself out of bed about a week later. As she sat up in her bed, staring at a wall in her room, she wondered how she had ever put herself in such an awkward position. Nobody had said it would be easy, but nobody had ever said love would be this hard.

Harry was arriving that afternoon, and Ginny had not had any contact with him since his short reply. She had spent most of the past week wondering if she had been too forward—did she make a huge mistake? Her biggest worry was that Harry wouldn’t want to talk to her, or even look at her when he arrived.

There was a knock on the door, and Ginny whispered, “Come in.”

Hermione slowly entered the room and scanned Ginny carefully. When Hermione had arrived two days before, Ginny had confided in her about Harry and the letters. Hermione was a little worried about Ginny, who she hadn’t seen smile the entire time she had been at the Weasley's. With Fleur and Bill’s wedding only a few days away, Hermione knew that she needed to brighten Ginny’s spirits. For all she knew, it could be the last happy time for a while.

“You want to take a walk with me, Ginny? Get some fresh air?” Hermione asked soothingly as she stroked Ginny’s hair.

“Alright,” she mumbled as she stood up and grabbed some clothes out of her closet.

“I’ll meet you downstairs,” Hermione said as she left, closing the door behind her.

Ginny got dressed slowly, taking her time to brush her hair out and pull it back, knowing she would be seeing Harry in a matter of hours.

************

Harry was still gathering his belongings when there was a small knock on the door. Petunia entered, holding a small, old piece of parchment in her hand.

“Now, I know you’re leaving,” she said quietly, checking behind her to make sure no one was coming, “but I feel as if everything needs to be explained. About your mother and our relationship, I mean. I know I didn’t always treat you well, and I do regret some of it.”

Something about Dumbledore’s death had made Petunia go soft. She seemed to honestly care about Harry’s well-being, which was quite a shock for him.

“Ermm, thanks,” he mumbled back, as she handed him a letter and he carefully placed it in his trunk.

And, to Harry’s complete surprise, she stumbled over to him and placed her arms around him. “Do be careful,” she muttered before leaving Harry speechless in his room.

After standing still for what seemed like an hour, Harry gathered the last of his maps and books and placed them safely in his trunk. Harry’s birthday had been the previous day, but he had already forgotten the fact that he could use magic.

Taking one last look at the room he was in, he felt slightly scared as he realized he was leaving his "home" for the rest of the world. It wasn’t until that moment that Harry realized how lucky he was to have a place like this. Even if he wasn’t always treated the best, he still had been able to live here. He had found protection and solace within the walls of the Dursley house on Privet Drive.

He had planned on Apparating, even though he had not taken the official ministry test. These days, so much was going on at the Ministry that there was no time for watching for small infractions in wizarding law.

And with one last look around the room, Harry was gone.

***********

Mrs. Weasley heard laughter from Ron’s room. She pulled off her apron and climbed the stairs until she was standing outside his door. There she saw Harry, tall, handsome, and smiling.

Without even knocking, she burst into the room and wrapped her arms tightly around Harry, “Oh Harry! I’m so glad you survived your aunt and uncle's okay! It’s been so busy here lately, I’m sorry I didn’t have time to write!”

“Mum, when have you ever written Harry?” Ron asked, laughing.

“Oh Ron, times are tough you know!”

And with that, Mrs. Weasley walked back downstairs into the kitchen.

Ron stood there, watching Harry and making sure he seemed alright.

“You know, Ginny’s been in a right state since you wrote to her a week ago…she won’t tell us what it was about though,” Ron managed to say, watching Harry’s facial expression closely.

At the mention of her name, Harry’s heart began to race. He didn’t say anything as he turned himself around to stare out the window. Ron took this as something negative, and sat down on his bed with a loud thump.

Harry was forced to turn and face him again, and knew that Ron expected him to say something.

“It’s nothing,” Harry said. Ron highly doubted it was nothing.

“Anyways,” he said, realizing that Harry was in no mood to discuss Ginny, “Hermione and Ginny should be back soon. They went for a walk a little while ago.”

Was it safe for them to be walking around? Harry thought. He suddenly became extremely worried about Ginny, and no thought of Hermione’s well-being crept into his mind. What if someone tried to take them?

It was as if Ron had read his mind, for he added, “They’re somewhere close by. I saw them sitting under a tree somewhere over there,” he said, pointing towards a giant oak. And sure enough, Harry could make out two figures sitting beneath the limbs of the tree.

Without really thinking what he was doing, Harry hurried out of Ron’s room and outside to the tree where the two girls were seated.

When Ginny saw Harry coming, her heart seemed to skip a few beats. Hermione jumped up and raced over to him, wrapping her arms around him just like Mrs. Weasley had done a few minutes before.

They talked softly for a few minutes before Harry dug up the courage to walk over to Ginny.

It could not have been more awkward.

Neither of them said anything as Harry stood there, staring at his feet with his hands tucked into his pockets. Ron, who had caught up to them, was standing next to Hermione, some 20 feet back. Both of them were watching curiously.

“Err,” Harry said softly.

Ginny looked at up him and quietly squeaked out, “Hi, Harry.”

“I’m good, how are you?” He said, before realizing his mistake. She had never asked how he was. Kicking his feet anxiously, she suppressed a giggle before jumping up from the ground happily.

“It’s good to see you!” She said enthusiastically, running over to him and placing her arms on his shoulders. Ron and Hermione gave each other puzzling looks.

Ginny knew, deep down, that the best thing for her to do was to pretend everything was okay. It's not the end of the world if Harry doesn't love me, she told herself quietly as she strolled off towards the house.

Harry stood completely still, watching Ginny as she walked all the way back to the Weasley house.