Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Together We Can by free_hugs

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I love this chapter so I hope you guys enjoy it too! Please, please, please review!
Hermione was helping Ginny with the dishes in the kitchen, the two of them laughing loudly at something Ginny had said.

Harry and Ron were sitting at the kitchen table, Ron reading through The Daily Prophet. Harry, on the other hand, was staring at Ginny. He was watching her lips open to laugh and the way her hair glided through the air.

Ron looked up and noticed Harry’s distraction. A small smile spread across his face and he pretended not to notice, directing his attention back to the paper.

Ginny turned around for a second, and her eyes locked with Harry’s, neither of them daring to look away. Ginny had gone silent, and just as Hermione turned around to catch the two of them staring at each other, Harry looked away.

A sullen expression engulfed Ginny’s face and Hermione let out a heavy sigh. The four of them sat in the kitchen for the next 20 minutes in complete silence.

Later that afternoon, Harry was sitting outside in the Weasley’s garden, picking up the annoying little gnomes running around.

Ginny came outside looking for Hermione, but didn’t pretend she hadn’t seen Harry. She walked over towards him slowly, and when she reached him, she plopped herself on the ground next to him.

“How was everything this summer?” She asked casually, trying as hard as she could to make things seem normal.

Taken aback by her calmness, Harry didn’t say anything for a minute. He knew she was trying hard to act like everything was okay.

“It was alright…I mean my Aunt was actually somewhat caring for once,” he said, his eyes never leaving the ground.

“Well you haven’t missed much. Mum has become rather obsessed with keeping the house clean, as so many people will be coming to the wedding next week. She thinks it will help show ‘moral fiber’,” Harry laughed at this, remembering when Dumbledore had awarded him points for this in the Triwizard Tournament.

But the thought of Dumbledore suddenly dampened his happiness, and he stopped picking the ground. He lifted his head up and stared out across the yard, suddenly remembering everything he was going to have to accomplish in the upcoming years.

Ginny knew what was bothering him, and carefully placed her arm on his back trying to calm him down, similar to how Ron had helped her in the previous weeks. These days, it seemed everyone had moments where memories and thoughts of the future overtook them.

“Thanks,” he said after some time. He looked at her this time. Right into her eyes.

Oh, those green eyes! Ginny couldn’t help but stare back at him. She nodded her head slowly and then pushed herself up from the ground.

She started walking away, but turned back and faced Harry.

“Harry…I know how hard all of this is for you. I understand. And I’ll always be right here for you if you ever need me. Will you just remember that?”

Harry nodded and watched as she walked away. He saw her glance back at him right before she re-entered the house.

******

Hermione glanced at Ron, who was busy cleaning out the fireplace.

“Do you know what’s going on between those two?” She said.

“If one more piece of ash flies into my eye, I swear…” Ron muttered angrily.

“Ron, listen to me!” Hermione said, trying desperately to grab his attention.

“Right, yes, sorry. You were saying?” He said, flicking some ash off himself and stepping out of the fireplace.

“Harry. Ginny.”

“Oh, no I don’t know. Harry won’t really tell me what’s bothering him.”

Ginny had told Hermione about the letters, but because she knew Ginny trusted her, she decided against telling Ron about them. But, that didn’t mean she couldn’t fill him in on the situation.

“For starters, I think it’s pretty clear that Ginny and Harry like each other. Harry is just being careful, too careful. Oh Ron, will you listen to me for two minutes!” Hermione bellowed. Ron had stuck his head back into the fireplace, and as a result, was covered in ashes.

“I heard you!” He said, flicking his wand so his clothes were back to normal. “I don’t think there is really much we can do, though.”

“Of course there is!”

“You know, Hermione, you can’t find a solution to everything!” Ron retorted.

“But I have a solution for this! We just need to explain to Harry how important love is in times like these! Don’t you think Dumbledore would want him to be happy?”

“I’m sorry, but I’m not having a love talk with Harry,” Ron laughed, amused at his own joke.

Hermione scowled at him and turned around before shouting, “It’s your fault then if your sister stays completely miserable!”

*******

Harry remained sitting outside the Weasley’s house for the remainder of the day, thoughts of Ginny floating in and out of his mind.

He just couldn’t seem to get her out of his head.

Maybe she’s supposed to be there, something inside told him. He stood up and looked into the kitchen of the house. There she was, sitting at the kitchen table, talking and enjoying herself, just as everyone should.

He debated over the course of the next ten minutes whether or not he should ask if they could just try and be friends for a while. Friends. Nothing more.

And as he walked into the house, he found himself wanting to tell Ginny everything. About the horcruxes, the journey ahead of him, about how he needed her to understand.

“Ginny, can I talk to you for a little while?” He interrupted her and Hermione. Ginny glanced at Hermione first, before looking up at Harry and nodding. Knowing a long night of talking and arguing awaited him, he knew that in the end, it would be worth it.

She was, after all, his greatest source of comfort.

A/N: PLEASE REVIEW!