Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Epilogue by Sparkling Star

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
An explosion of anger and agony began the reenactment as the image of Dumbledore’s body lifeless on floor erupted. A sharp laugh pressed her against the wall as she fought desperately to reach him. Then, the most terrible, piercing eyes bore into hers as she fought to maintain her devilish appearance. The false words pouring from her mouth lingered in the air between them as she lowered herself to the ground beside Harry. One more mental image of Voldemort’s horrendous features and then there was darkness.


Melody Chancelle was awake.

Five years and the sight of Voldemort’s face moments before his death still haunted her dreams. Voldemort was dead, completely and finally, but somehow the fear he once instilled floated on the tension in the air. The paranoia was unfounded. Every last follower was put away, every one except Draco Malfoy who for the last five years had existed only in whispers.

Life had slowly moved on from Voldemort’s Reich.

Melody had tried desperately to detach herself from the memory of him, but it managed to follow her around constantly through her small band of fans and the students in her classes that recounted the tale inaccurately to one another.

The reporters started hovering the day after she left Hogwarts. They had followed her to the Swiss Alps where she studied defensive magic and right back to Hogwarts when she took the position of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.

That is where she was that night “ shaken awake by the old nightmare “ in her teacher’s suite. Her elbows shook below her as she held herself up. She was slightly reassured as a familiar hand fell into the small of her back. Olton’s handsome black hair that had once attracted Melody to him now pushed her out of their bed and into a pair of sweats and running shoes.

The single most reason Melody enjoyed Olton Chevelle’s company so much was that he was nothing like Harry, but the black hair was too much. She needed to clear her mind…again.

These dawn runs always reassured her that she wasn’t headed down the path she tracked with Harry. Olton was no hero. No matter how troubled Melody was, he wasn’t coming after her like Harry would. Olton preferred to stay emotionally detached. Their relationship was not headed anywhere and that is exactly how Melody liked it.

Her life had never quite fallen back together after school. Her days were filled with the same old internal conflicts. Today, however, held even more opportunity for trouble as she would come face to face with her biggest disappointment upon arriving at the Burrow for Ron and Hermione’s wedding.

Six years after getting their act together and those two were finally getting married. Melody knew it would come. She had found time to practice avoiding Harry at other Weasley celebrations, but still, she had a bad feeling about this time.

The beat of her steps intensified as she thought about her eminent encounter with Harry. For anyone else, she would have refused to even show up, but this was Hermione. They had almost become sisters in the last couple of years as Hermione now lived in Hogsmeade. She had set up an extensive library as part of her career as head of the research department for the Ministry. Each night Melody escaped from the castle to meet her for a drink in the Three Broomsticks.

Melody was to be her maid of honor no matter how much she dreaded seeing Harry again, so when she had made it back to her living suite, she flicked her wand and her bags were instantly packed. She clarified to Olton when to arrive for the wedding and with a spin disappeared into the morning.



The Burrow looked as crookedly perfect as ever. Being at the Burrow was the absolute best feeling in the world, as Melody had learned through her summers there, but this particular visit threatened the opposite.

Less then three feet from the front door, Melody stood completely frozen. The instant she turned the knob, she ran the chance of coming face to face with the past she had run away from, unprotected by the assurance that she beat him there. She fought with herself to jump in, but nothing comforted her. Actually, she backed away from the door quite a ways.

She was nearly off the porch when Hermione burst out the door behind a chaos of white roses.

“Mel, are you going to come in and help me or just keep dancing, or whatever you are doing, out here?” she squeaked, “What are you doing?”

“Nothing…I thought I forgot my shoes for tomorrow.”

“He’s not going to be here until tonight,” Hermione said, knowingly.

Melody heaved a sigh of relief.

“Well, then what are we waiting for? It’s time to make a wedding.”

Melody gathered the flowers in one arm and Hermione in the other. Her luggage trailed after them.

Upon finally entering the house, Melody was smothered by the numerous bodies filling the kitchen. Sitting at the table was the disgustingly married Ginny and Collin Blake. That was the last wedding. Collin worked at the Ministry with Ginny and two months into their dating (and working) relationship, he proposed ensuring that Ginny would be the fourth Weasley married.

Bill has been first with Fleur. Mrs. Weasley had long ago expected a grandchild from them, but it was known in whispers that Fleur refused to sacrifice her figure to children. Every one saw how it broke Bill’s heart but tried to stay out of it.

Charlie, however, was up to two with his wife Gabby. Kevin and Kallista were clinging to their father’s every word as he told them yet another story from his once exciting career. Of course, he had placed himself at an office job now to be with his young family…and all his limbs.

Percy still hadn’t returned, but he had been married, breaking his mother’s heart.

Melody instantly smiled as Fred and George entered the kitchen followed by their howling girlfriends, Winni and Tori. Melody smirked at Fred (or George) and he responded to her obvious question by pointing at the ring finger on his left hand. Those two had been fighting marriage harder than they fought the rules in school.

Then, of course, there was Ron who was no where to be see. Never the confident type, Melody assumed he was off with Harry being told how much he loved Hermione.

With all the life changing landmarks, one would assume Melody had already came across Harry, but she had carefully ensured against it. By this time she had mastered such moves as disappearing from the Burrow just before he arrived and separating herself from him at every wedding and birthday.

Relieved to enjoy the Weasleys’ company without the burden of eluding Harry, she happily stole a seat next to Ginny who reluctantly tore herself away from Collin.