Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Epilogue by Sparkling Star

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A year came and went filled with the intense tension of finding Malfoy to no success. It seemed certain that Malfoy had moved on, and they had even captured a good gathering of Death Eaters that claimed her had fled again. Still, the search continued.

In that year, Melody had seen Harry for an average of twenty minutes a week. He came home late, after she had gone to bed, and left early, before she was awake. Some nights she managed to keep herself awake long enough to listen for a couple minutes about his day and the recent developments, but many times they went an entire week without speaking.

The only occasion of change came on the first day of summer vacation. Melody was determined to be fully awake when Harry arrived home.

That night, he came dragging through the house and pulling himself up the stairs. As soon as she heard the sounds of a beaten man coming down the hall, she moved to the doorway of their bedroom. Harry stopped at the door to Anna’s room and smiled for a moment before seeing Melody across the hall.

“It’s late, Mel,” he said, smiling, “What are you still doing up?”

She smiled back at him.

“I thought you would like to see your wife at least once a year.”

“You have no idea how much I miss your pretty face,” he said, crossing the hall and placing a hand against her cheek.

His hands were rough, but Melody kissed them before wrapping her arms around his neck. He slipped his hands just under the edge of her tee shirt and she fell into his arms as he proceeded to rid her of the item.

As the summer progressed, these occasions faded just as the chance of finding Malfoy did. Growing more and more irritable, Melody became angry with Harry for not being there to see their daughter grow up.

When a familiar sickness began to take over her, she began to worry. After concocting that same potion with baby’s breath, Melody’s fears were confirmed. Another child was on the way, even if Harry refused to give up the fruitless plight to imprison Malfoy.


Anna playfully swung her picture book through the air as Melody turned the page in her own book. It was a hot August day, so the Potter girls had opted to read inside where it was cooler.

Melody was just summoning a new book for Anna when Bill walked in from the entry.

“Billy!” Anna called out to the common guest.

“There’s my girl,” Bill said blowing her a kiss.

Melody welcomed Bill and invited him to sit beside her on the couch. She offered him a magazine to leaf through and was about to leave to take a bath.

“Melody,” Bill said, stopping her, “I have some news.”

Melody took her place on the couch again and hoped for more updates about his blossoming relationship with a lovely lady named Catie.

“Catie and I are getting married,” he said plainly.

Melody wrapped her arms around him in a congratulatory hug before realizing what this would mean for her own situation.

“I know its short notice, but next month, after the wedding, I’m going back to work at Gringott’s. That and Catie are going to make it impossible for me to stay with Anna.”

Melody was quiet for a moment.

“I wish it didn’t have to be this way, but…”

“You are absolutely right in going, Bill. You have been more than a friend by watching Anna. Harry and I both appreciate it.”

“What will you do when term comes?”

“Don’t worry about that. We’ll think of something,” Melody reassured.

Bill rose to his feet and crossed to Anna to say goodbye.

“Goodbye, Sweetie,” he said before kissing her head.

Anna looked from Bill to Melody before looking back at Bill.

“Buh-Bye Dadda!”

Bill laughed the misunderstanding off, but Melody was less than thrilled. Her entire body went rigid as she rose and picked up Anna. They both waved bye to Bill and Melody brought Anna over to the wall of photos hanging in the entry way. She pointed to a picture of Harry and Anna only giggled.

“That is Daddy,” she instructed.

Anna only continued to laugh as Melody placed her on the floor near her books. She was just about to sit down herself when the front door opened and closed. Glancing at the clock, she was certain it was too early for Harry. Nervously, she pulled her wand from her pocket only to put it away as Harry walked into the living room. Melody was almost angry enough to keep the wand out, but instead she deafened Anna with a swipe of her hand.

Harry looked at her curiously, but continued to walk toward her.

“This is ridiculous!” she shouted, causing him to stop in his path.

Harry’s happiness from the comfort of being home faded from his face and he was thrown deeper into his confusion.

“What is?” he asked placing his bag next to the arm chair.

“Your job,” Melody remarked boldly, “It know its demanding, but honestly, would it kill you to make a moment for your daughter just once?”

“Anna? Why do you think I am going to work? I’ve been going out early and coming in late every day so that Anna can live a normal life without the fear I lived with all of mine! God Melody, I thought we were together on this one. You’re not yourself tonight.”

Melody ignored the guilt trip.

“Malfoy is long gone, Harry, and Anna doesn’t even know you! She thinks Bill is her father!”

Harry stared at her for a moment completely unbelieving of this ridiculous statement.

“No she doesn’t!” he stupidly yelled back.

“He stopped by today to tell me that he won’t be able to sit with her next term, and …she called him ‘Dadda.’”

Harry went rigid, but Melody clearly noticed how upset he was with her more than himself.

“I can’t help it, Melody,” he said through clenched teeth, “Was I supposed to let Malfoy come at me through Anna? God, Mel, you always do this. Even in school, there was so much more going on than you and me. When I wasn’t trying to keep you happy, I was at lessons with Dumbledore or off working with Aurors. It’s the same thing now. This is all for Anna in the long run and you are overreacting.”

“Of course I’m overreacting. My hormones are going mad! How are we supposed to bring another kid into this world if we can’t even keep it together with just the three of us!?”

Harry’s face completely softened. Melody hadn’t intended to tell him she was pregnant this way and for a second she had forgotten that she hadn’t told him.

“What?” Harry questioned.

“That’s right,” she responded, “I’m pregnant again.”

Harry stood in silence for a moment before stepping closer to Melody and embracing her. She melted in the warmth of his arms like so many times before.

“Mel, I know things haven’t been right since that first morning I left after Malfoy,” he began, “but that is why I am home early. We capture him this afternoon. He’s in prison.”

Melody’s heart leapt. She pulled herself away to look in Harry’s eyes. For a moment, she was certain she had never been as happy.

Laughing she asked, “Why are we fighting over good news, then?”

Harry laughed with her.

“I don’t know,” he chuckled, “Malfoy is behind bars and we have a baby on the way, but we still find something to argue about. Looks like things are back to normal.”

Harry moved toward Anna and picked her up. Melody waved her hand to reverse the deafening spell.

“And of course we have this little lady, who is obviously confused,” he said before tickling Anna.

Upon recognizing Harry’s voice, Anna wrapped her arms around Harry’s neck and nuzzled herself up against his chest before falling asleep.

Whispering, Harry asked, “When should I be expecting baby number two?”

Melody smiled as Anna gave out a little coo.

“March.”