Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Epilogue by Sparkling Star

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Melody woke the next morning to the comfort of a Burrow morning in fast forward. The house was in an uproar. Where she might have casually dressed, she was not afforded the luxury as Hermione was bouncing around her in a terrible fit. Therefore, she headed down for breakfast in nothing more than a small tank top and pajama pants. As she took her seat, the great breakfast offered her was pushed aside to make room for a sketch of the backyard. Hermione was running her through the ceremony for the third time when Harry took the seat across from her.

“What’s he doing here?” Melody exclaimed, pulling an unfolded napkin from the table to cover her revealing attire.

“Calm down,” he said from across the table, before moving his head closer to hers in a whisper, “It’s nothing I haven’t already seen.”

Melody lost all sympathy for the nervous bride as she cast Hermione aside.

“I see you still don’t have any discretion,” she snapped as the cupboards started to slap.

“Relax, Melly,” Mrs. Weasley said grasping her arm before turning to Harry, “Mind your mouth, Harry, or she’ll turn you into a toad half way down the aisle this afternoon.”

Harry smiled and returned to his breakfast, but Melody sharply pivoted in Hermione’s direction.

“Did I mention you would be walking down the aisle with Harry?” she asked timidly.

“No you neglected to remember that,” Melody snapped before returning to her room.


Melody subconsciously destroyed something every time she encountered Harry for the rest of the morning. At about eleven thirty Mrs. Weasley suggested her and Ginny leave to get ready and to save what dishes she had left.

Once securely upstairs, Ginny and Melody slipped into their lilac gowns. As Melody was fixing her hair magically, Ginny suddenly spun in her chair to face Melody.

“Hermione was right, you know,” a smaller voice than Ginny’s squeaked out.

The room was silent for a moment before Ginny broke into another thought.

“Did anyone tell you that before it was you and Harry, it was supposed to be me and Harry? Don’t get me wrong, you can keep all his drama, but for awhile there, it would have been me slapping the cupboards this morning. I was always waiting for the day when he would finally realize that he loved me. But after I got accustomed to the way he looked at you and the way he smiled when he talked about you, I realized that there was only one girl for Harry Potter, and it wasn’t me. Melody, you have to trust me when I say that I have never seen anything close to what Harry feels for you and you must feel for him.”

With her small speech through, she left the room to find the monstrous bride. Melody was still settling into the thought of Harry looking at her the way he used to. All she could think about was that moment many Christmases ago when Harry took her in his arms for the first time.

She was still lost in memories when Ginny returned to collect her for the ceremony.


Melody had never held such a fixed stare as she did moments before taking Harry’s arm. She stared as he admired the people and scenery of the garden as the wedding began. That same pull from within her was pushing her to say something, but she remained silent as she looped her arm with his to begin the procession.


The ceremony past and Ron and Hermione successfully joined, the celebration moved into the reception and the speeches that went along with it.

Melody rose from her seat and raised her glass to her best friends.

“Ron and Hermione are something untouchable. From the stories I have heard, I can tell this has been a long time coming. As much as I didn’t like the idea of them dating in the beginning, I must say that I have never been more excited for a couple to begin their life together. To Ron and Hermione “ the eternal example.”

With that, glasses sounded and Harry rose to do his best man duty.

“Up against five brothers, I was a little surprised when Ron chose me as the best man, but I think we all agree it was for the best,” he joked, “But seriously, Melody was right. Ron and Hermione were meant to be together. They are one of those couples that everyone knows will end up together, even if they don’t know it themselves.”

Harry looked at Melody, guiding his small audience to do the same.

“Ron and Hermione have been lucky,” he continued, “They have realized this and found each other. If only we all can be so fortunate.”

Melody had never been as embarrassed as when the audience bore into her with their stares. She couldn’t take it. As Ron was nervously rising to speak, Melody stood and escaped into the Burrow away from the party.

Her solitude was short lived as Harry entered the kitchen behind her. He opened his mouth to say something, but Melody didn’t allow him the privilege.

“How could you embarrass me like that? All those people “ all our friends “ know that we have a history. Why would you say those things knowing that? I can’t believe I thought you were at all different! Five years and your ego has only grown. You are the only person imaginable that would use a congratulatory speech for your best friend to get a girl.”

“No,” he said sharply coming closer, “I used it to get the only girl.”

Melody tried to walk away, but he had already managed to get a grip on her arm.

“Stop running away, Mel. You know you’re not mad at me. You never were. You’re just scared.”

“Scared, Harry?” she said, tearing her arm away, “What do you know about me?! It has been five years since I have even talked to you for this long. I’ve tried so hard to forget about you, and seeing you again is just bringing back all the bad memories.”

“Those bad memories are five years old. We’re different people now, and this is my last chance to make things right. I truly love you, Mel, and I don’t want to walk away from this weekend knowing you still don’t believe that.”

“You’re right. We are different people. How do you even know you still love me?”

“Seeing you standing in the garden yesterday, completely innocent, I knew you were still my Melody; the one that ran away five years ago. I haven’t forgiven myself for letting you doubt me. I didn’t black out that night because I didn’t love you. I blacked out because right before I killed him, Voldemort hit me with a particularly strong curse. Mel, you could have given me all the strength in the world and I would have blacked out. I just wish I would have known in time to tell you before you ran off.”

Melody was speechless. Every dark feeling she felt towards Harry was dissolving and she was again finding the love for him she had tried to hide.

“I have always loved you, Mel,” Harry said, cautiously grazing her elbow, “Since the first moment I saw you.”

His old vulnerability was back. Melody recognized it in a second as his eyes softened and he let her fall into the chair below her. He melted to his knees and pleadingly gathered her hands in his own.

“Please, Mel, listen to me.”

Melody carefully took in each word her had said and each breath that sporadically escaped him. There was no reason to run anymore. He was kneeling before her offering her the world, and still she felt a heaviness holding her back.

With each second she was silent, Melody watched as Harry crumbled within himself. This dejection was heart breaking. For the first time, Harry’s eyes filled with tears as he gazed into Melody’s.

“We were meant to be together,” he said fighting the shine in his eyes, “It has killed me every day to know that you didn’t see that.”

Melody took only another second of hesitation.

“I know, Harry.”

She left her chair as she wrapped her arms around his neck. All the fear and seclusion escaped Melody as Harry’s arms circled her. It was like two opposite ends of a magnet coming together with all the forces of attraction. She clung desperately to him as he lifted her to her feet.

When she managed to loosen her grip, she took his face in her hands and brought it down to hers. Pressing her lips to his, Melody kissed him with a passion reminiscent of their past reconciliations.

Once they finally pulled away, Harry wiped away the remnants of tears across his face.

“Looks like you still manage to make me a whimpering baby,” he laughed.

Melody only nodded before pulling him in for another kiss.