Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Epilogue by Sparkling Star

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Melody and Harry tried to reenter the party as casually as possible, but leaving in a huff always requires an explanations. Today was not the day to steal the spotlight, so Melody made up minor emergencies that would force her to run from the room.

When Hermione herself approached Melody about the incident, however, it wasn’t as simple to brush her off. Hermione wasn’t going to be fooled into thinking that Melody’s contact was suddenly enflamed. She tried to prod Melody for an explanation, but to no avail. It was Hermione’s wedding day, so there was no need for everyone to worry about Melody.

Melody was just sitting down to have a moment to herself when Ginny crossed the garden in search of her.

“Don’t even ask, Ginny. I’m not telling.”

Ginny looked at her for a moment, but ignored the questions brewing in her head.

“Well, that’s great, but I came over to tell you Olton is over by Ron. You might want to introduce him around before he does it himself.”

Melody was immediately on her feet making her way through the crowd toward him. He was getting dangerously close to Harry, but she stepped in just as Harry was turning around to acknowledge the stranger in the mass of Weasleys.

“Olton!” Melody smiled guiding him to the other end of the party.

“I’ve noticed that you are very forgetful when it comes to mentioning little details like your boyfriend,” he smirked as he moved in for a kiss.

Melody could feel Harry’s eyes hot on her neck, so she slapped Olton just to keep him away.

“What was that?!” he exclaimed.

“The reason I haven’t told anyone about you is because obviously I don’t want them to know about you.”

Olton was quiet, but Melody could tell that this wasn’t really phasing him.

“Oh. So this is over?”

Melody nodded, and he simply turned and found the arm of one of Ginny’s friends. Melody rejoiced in the easiest detachment of her life and enthusiastically returned to the party. For a moment she caught Harry’s confused eye, but with a smile reassured him of an explanation later.

Hermione, on the other hand, wanted answers now. She captured Melody among the guests seconds after Olton disappeared with his new gal pal.

“First you run out on my reception and now you just dismiss your surprise boyfriend. What is going on, Mel?”

“Nothing to be worried about today.”

Melody coyly disappeared into the crowd.


As the music filled the night air around the dance, Melody and Harry decided to take the party’s distraction as a chance to escape together. They met on the other side of the tall fence of the garden.

Harry’s hand slipped around her waist in the most natural motion imaginable. Melody fit just right into his arms like she always had. As they fell into step, they were washed back into the good memories that had escaped Melody in the last five years.

In a few hours, Melody would need to return to Hogwarts, but for now it was Harry and Melody again, getting lost in one another.

“So, how is this going to work?” Harry asked out of the blue as they past a small farmhouse.

Melody looped her second arm around his waist forcing him to stop in her embrace.

“Term is almost over. When the summer comes, I’ll have all the time in the world.”

Harry seemed to contemplate this for a moment as he slid his arm over the line of her shoulders.

“Well currently I am homeless with Hermione taking my place in the flat with Ron, so I suppose I’ll be living at the Burrow for awhile.”

“Just stay there,” Melody said resting her head in the crook of Harry’s arm, “That is where I stay through the summer break.”

“I know,” Harry said simply.

“Then what’s the question?” Melody laughed.

“Term won’t be over for another month. That’s too long to be away again.”

Melody smiled to herself, “Harry, you can visit me. It’ll work out.”

“You’re right,” Harry said stopping in his steps again to kiss Melody on her forehead.

They continued on their walk down memory lane only to come face to face with the most beautiful house Melody has ever seen. It was completely on its own, made of solid, brown brick. It had white framed windows that made Melody think of every happy home she had ever seen. It was surrounded by the most perfect family of trees and wildflowers. The sight of it almost brought tears to Melody’s eyes.

“It’s the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen,” she said quietly.

Harry agreed, but his attention had long since moved from the house to Melody’s reaction to it.


After Melody pulled herself away from the house, the couple decided to make their way back to the party. They were a little unnerved as they approached the eerily quiet garden. In an attempt to avoid an obvious entrance together, they decided to round the house and come in from the Burrow.

Harry laced his fingers with Melody’s and led her through the thick grass off to the side of the house. When Melody tripped on an unexplained root, Harry was instantly there catching her. As she landed in his strong arms, she felt weightless. She didn’t even notice at first that Harry had gathered her in his arms. He carried her over the remainder of the grass.

When they reached the front yard of the house, he placed her on her feet but left an arm on the ridge of her back and pulled her in for a deep embrace.

“I see you two have made nice,” Fred called from the porch.

As Harry and Melody turned to face the music, they were surprised to see the entire Weasley symphony. Hermione stood in the center of them with her arms crossed over her white gown and a cocky grin on her face.

Knowing the jig was up, Melody buried her face in Harry’s chest. He laughed a little but leaned down so that his mouth was inches from her ear.

“We’re terrible with secrets.”