Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Epilogue by Sparkling Star

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Her room felt cold as she moved around it replacing all her items to their old home. Everything that was once her life seemed unfamiliar now. In a few days, she would have to return to teaching her students and handing out homework. Hogwarts just felt strange.


The first day of classes arrived and Melody followed her usual routine of breakfast alone in her suite before heading to her classroom. First on the schedule for the day were Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw first years.

The first years were always a fun bunch on the first day. They were easily wowed by the simplest magic tricks and even more amazed that they were being taught by the famous Melody Chancelle that had once aided in the downfall of Voldemort.

But to be honest, she didn’t feel at all amazing knowing that Harry was somewhere convinced that she never wanted to marry him. Nevertheless, as she walked into the classroom and performed her annual patronus for the kids, she wore her classic smile.

“Good morning, first years,” she said sweetly over the vocalization, “I’m going to be your Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. You may call me Professor Chancelle.”

Those that had still been beaming over the now fading patronus turned their gawking towards her. Instantly, the room was filled with curious hands waving in the air.

“To answer the question I know you are all wondering “ yes, I am Melody Chancelle, and yes, I did help Harry Potter kill Voldemort.”

All of the hands but one fell as they continued to stare at her. Melody called on the one remaining hand attached to a small girl with wavy brown hair and eyes to match.

“What is that thing?” she asked simply pointing at the place the remains of the patronus hovered.

“That is a patronus. It is very advanced magic that is used to guard off dementors.”

Another feeble hand moved into the air. The very nervous looking red haired boy looked almost like a young Ron as he asked if they would be expected to do that on the first day.

“Heavens no! I don’t even expect most of you to master those before your graduate.”

The class fell into their seats relieved.


The first week past quickly, and Melody looked forward to the arrival of Celeste on Friday afternoon. Celeste had ended up pursuing the one thing she was good at “ looking pretty “ and now modeled dress robes all over the world, but she had remained one of Melody’s closest friends.

“Melody! Oh ‘ow I ‘ave missed you!” she called as Melody met her outside on the castle steps.

They embraced and Melody looped an arm with Celeste’s to lead her up to her suite. For many hours, her bags lay packed as they two filled each other in on their lives.

“Well, Milan was fun zis spring, but I must say, the wizards zere are by far my favorite.”

Melody laughed as Celeste told of her adventure with the Italians, but each story only made her think of Harry who she had called only an hour ago to cancel their date that weekend. His voice had seemed tense and heavy on the line.

Celeste noticed the distraction in Melody’s eyes and turned the tables on her and asked how things were with her.

She knew she shouldn’t tell anyone about Harry’s proposal quite yet, but something burst inside Melody as Celeste gazed intently upon her.

“Harry wants to marry me!” she nearly shouted through the tension.

Celeste’s mouth dropped clear from her face before she could manage to smile at Melody.

“Zat iz fantastic! When are you getting married?”

Melody paused at the image of her wedding, but she tore herself from the sweet illusions and let reality take its turn.

“I said no.”

Celeste manages a gentle ‘oh,’ but it was clear she was displeased with the news.

“It’s too soon. I’m right to think that we aren’t yet stable enough, right?”

“What do I know?” Celeste replied tenderly, “You are the one that has been in love with him since day one.”

Her words sat heavily with Melody as she moved to bring Celeste’s things over to her bed.


The weekend passed quickly and Celeste soon boarded a train to lead her to another exciting place. Melody was left alone with her problems and about a million essays on various defensive spells to grade.

As she was leafing through the paperwork at her desk one afternoon, she was alarmed to find Harry standing in the doorway of her classroom. Rising from her desk, she tried to read his face as she moved towards him. His expression was lifeless giving Melody cause for concern.

“Is everything alright, Harry?”

“It will be,” he replied as he pulled Melody into his arms.

For a moment, Melody enjoyed the way her body fit perfectly with his, but was quickly drawn back to the trouble in his voice. She attempted to form a question, but Harry answered it before she managed a thought.

“They found an elderly couple murdered up north,” he said intensely, “We think it’s the work of Malfoy and his followers.”

“Why would he kill them?” Melody asked pulling away so she could look Harry in the eyes.

Harry’s head fell as he replied, “That’s the sad part. He used them as target practice for himself and those other monsters.”

Melody hand immediately flew to her mouth. Never had she imagined such intentional cruelty from one of her old classmates. Killing for the sake of killing was something that even Voldemort had never done. Malfoy had killed without purpose, without reason, and that was scarier than any amount of people murdered to help the Dark Lord.

“What’s being done?” Melody finally whispered.

“Half the force is being sent out there to screen the area and question and get some answers.”

Melody knew where this was ultimately headed. Harry would be leaving her. She placed a hand on his cheek as she searched for confirmation in his raging green eyes.

“I leave tonight.”

Melody only nodded before Harry gathered her in his arms and kissed her goodbye. He turned and walked out, leaving Melody in a kaleidoscope of emotions. She survived a moment of shock before darting out into the hallway after Harry.

She yelled out to him just before he turned the corner and ran to catch up to him. When she reached him, she captured him in her arms and let her tears run freely onto his Auror uniform.

“Be careful, Harry,” she said through the little sobs, “I need you to come back and marry me.”

Harry’s grip on her tightened as she clung to him, but time was fading and he had to go. Melody watched as he disappeared down another hallway.


Melody sifted through papers the next morning to keep her mind of Harry’s mission, but nothing could tear the image of Malfoy standing over Dumbledore’s body from her mind. She had dreamed the night before that she had fallen upon that same scene but came to find Harry on the floor at Malfoy’s feet. It had forced her awake all night.

As her remaining first years filled the room, she began to raise her wand for another Patronus, but a sudden excitement at the door caused her to stop. Before she realized what was happening, her first years were gathering around the famous visitor to get a better look.

Harry fought through the anxious 11 year olds and made his way to Melody. She stood there dumbfounded as he simple placed himself on one knee before her. From his pocket he conjured a small glass case that Melody saw contained a shining ring.

“Before you say anything and before I leave, here is the ring and here is the promise. The only thing that can insure my safe return is knowing that you are here waiting for me. If you say yes, I swear to you I will be back by Christmas.”

Melody couldn’t have imagined it any more perfect. As he rose to his feet, she wrapped her arms around his neck.

“Come back in a hundred years, and I’ll be waiting for you.”

Harry beamed down at her before locking her in a fervent kiss. The noises of the eager classroom faded until a sharp cough came from the back of the room.

“Why don’t you enjoy your news in private, Professor,” McGonogall called from the doorway, “I’ll take over in here.”

Melody and Harry burst into the hallway full of new energy, but it faded as the old clock’s chiming filled the castle.

“I’ve stalled too long already. I really have to go,” Harry said, letting go of her.

Again Melody answered him with a silent nod and watched as her future husband and hero walked off to save the world…again.