Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Epilogue by Sparkling Star

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The reception was just taking off when the door to the Burrow burst open and into the garden piled a relatively large group of reporters. Their camera bulbs flashed in every direction as Harry rose to see what was going on. Ron joined him on his feet and looked over the guests to the pushy photographers.

“Bloody hell!” he exclaimed, “Reporters!”

Generally, Melody had lived with a couple reporters following her about town, and Harry had told her that same had gone for him, but apparently it was a huge ordeal that they were married.

The menace closest to the lead table heard Ron and was instantly aware of Melody and Harry’s position in all this mess. With one yell and a flash in that direction, the disturbing party moved up to the head table and began flashing as many pictures as their cameras would allow.

Harry’s initial reaction was defensive and he began casting Sleeping Spells out into the group sending a couple down with each shot. Melody nearly reached for her wand to help him when she remembered that this would only bring more attention to their increasingly chaotic wedding. She tenderly placed a hand on Harry’s wand arm and he stopped.

“Excuse me, pressmen,” Melody said sweetly, “I do believe you have imposed enough and that you should indeed go. If you have further questions contact me at the school tomorrow.”

The reporters tried to object, but Harry conjured an electric orb that influenced them to make their way for the door. Once they were all safely stashed away, Molly appeared from the Burrow with a look of terror on her face. As she approached Harry and Melody the terror softened to exhaustion.

“They said they were old school friends. I didn’t know they were lousy media scum. I’m awfully sorry, dears.”

Harry and Melody brushed it off and fell into their awaiting chairs to finish their meals.


The final transformation of the garden was from the reception space to a dance floor. Once completed, Melody and Harry took their placed for the first dance and smiled at each other as the music started.

They floated around the floor for a long time in silence just enjoying each other’s company, before the inevitable discussion was given up.

“Who ever thought I would be such a big deal?” Melody laughed as she watched Ron knock a reporter out of a tent window, “I mean you had no chance, but I barely did anything and look how they flock to me.”

“Killing Voldemort is barely anything?” Harry asked pulling her in tighter.

“I suppose not.”

“Melody,” Harry began, “I know we never really talked about this, but two of the most powerful and famous modern wizards being married is going to be a big deal. The press is going to follow our lives for a long time, I think.”

Melody nodded, fully aware of their future.

“Sorry, dear, but I’m in it for the long haul,” she joked, “Besides, it was nice to see Dean and Luna again.”


The guests slowly thinned as the day pressed into night. When only the Weasleys and Chancelles remained, Harry and Melody slipped into the house and changed into more comfortable attire. Before returning to the remaining guests, Harry suggested they take a short walk.

They made their way down a common path for a long time hand in hand, occasionally saying something about the wedding, but when they came upon the usual crossroads, Harry pulled Melody in the opposite direction of the Weasley’s.

“Where are we going?” Melody asked looking back at the path.

“Let’s not go back just yet,” Harry replied simply, wrapping an arm around her shoulder.

They continued walking for awhile before the sight of sleeping homes reminded Melody of an immediate problem.

“What will happen when I go back to classes tomorrow?”

Harry paused for a moment, but continued walking. Melody began to silently panic. Amidst all the hectic planning for the wedding, she had completely overlooked the minor detail of where they were going to live after. Not understanding how he could be so indifferent, Melody stopped, forcing him to do the same.

“After tonight, I have to go back to my suite and you have to go back to your ministry housing. Do you even have a plan?”

Harry approached her lightly and once again placed his arm around her shoulders.

“Don’t worry.”

With that he ended it and just continued walking. Melody was helpless to follow.

“We need somewhere to live, Mr. Potter,” she snapped.

“We need to enjoy our wedding day, Mrs. Potter,” he replied just as sharply.

Melody anger intensified as she watched the beautiful houses they passed. It hit her particularly hard as they approached the beautiful, brick home with white trim. She paused before the driveway and looked up at the home she had dreamed about. Everything from the frozen willow trees to the detailing on the mailbox made Melody’s heart melt for the house.

“It’s so perfect,” Melody said longingly.

“If it’s so perfect, why don’t we get a better look?” Harry said inching up to the front window.

Melody hissed at him to come back, but he was gone and peeking in the front window.

“Calm down, Melody,” Harry laughed from the window, “Use a Cloaking Spell if you are so scared.”

Melody crept up to him and tugged on his arm.

“Let’s go, Harry! I’m not getting arrested on my wedding day.”

“Just take a little look,” Harry responded pulling her up to the window.

Melody looked into the perfectly furnished dining room with all the slip covered chairs and each place setting perfectly aligned.

“Oh it’s beautiful,” she whispered against the glass.

“It’s yours.”

Melody instantly pulled away from the glass. Harry followed her into the center of the lawn, but they said nothing. Melody peered into his eyes searching for a laugh, something, but he was serious.

“It’s my wedding present to you,” he smiled.

Melody’s chest suddenly tightened as she stared at him. Fighting her urge to run up to the front door, she buried herself in Harry’s arms. He grasped her tightly and then whipped her up into his arms and carried her to the front of the house. The door slid open and he carried her into the entry way with its spiral staircase.

Melody immediately ran to it and hopped up a couple stairs and then back down. She returned to Harry and kissed him before tugging on his arm to explore more of the house.

She quickly peaked in on the dining room she had already admired before ripping across the entry way to the living room. Harry had picked out all the furniture and everything fit just as she had wanted.

Anxiously, she pulled Harry through two French doors that led them out onto a little patio. Beyond that was an immensely large backyard that Melody secretly anticipated their children running about someday.

Making her way back into the house, she opened and shut doors furiously throughout the first floor looking into an office, the bath, and her perfect kitchen. She delicately laced her hand upon the counter top before hopping on top to admire the room from a perch.

Harry placed himself in front of her and she enthusiastically kissed him.

Again, she was off, up the stairs to the second floor. The upper landing revealed two more French doors that alluded to a large balcony. Melody did a little dance in the brisk wind, but the shivers forced her back inside and into their master bedroom. A fireplace was roaring in the corner and the room felt instantly like home.

As she was admiring the bedding, Harry stole her attention to a wall of portraits. Melody crossed to him and endearingly looked upon the photos of their family and friends, but Harry’s true intention was to show her what lie behind them.

“Tap that picture of my mum and dad’s wedding,” he suggested.

Melody did so and instantly the wall faded to reveal and extension to the room that housed all their magical equipment. Particularly obvious spell books and tools filled shelves lining the room, and in the corner was a little bed alongside a little nightstand.

“You can come out Starla, it’s us,” Harry said over the room.

From behind a telescope the littlest house elf Melody had ever seen peaked out. She has a sweet little bow on her head and a pink burlap sack on. She blushed at the sight of Harry and Melody.

“Is there something Starla can get for Mr. Harry Potter?” she squeaked.

Melody giggled over the little thing and patiently introduced herself to the little elf that kept bowing and backing away with shyness.

Finally they made their way back out onto the landing, where Melody noticed for the first time three more doors. The first was nothing more that another bathroom, but the other two led to empty rooms painted in pastels.

“For the kids,” Harry began, “when they come.”

Melody spun around and struck Harry with a fiery kiss. She hated the idea of leaving the house to return to the party and even more, the idea of them returning to work the next day.