Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

To Walk a Mile by Thoth

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Many, many thanks to Orual for her help with this:)
One of the most pivotal points in a young witch or wizard’s life is the day they receive their letters of acceptance to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. On their eleventh birthday some are surprised, some expectant and most very excited. Only a few are sorely disappointed.

--

Hermione Granger lay on her living room floor, a brand new book open before her.

Her birthday had been a small affair. Presents over breakfast, happy birthday sung while sipping coffee and orange juice. Her parents were taking her out to supper at a restaurant that evening.

There was a tap at the window. Hermione looked up from her book to see a small tawny owl perched on the flowerbox outside.

Her eyes widened in amazement. There were no owls common to anywhere around her town, and even if they were, the majority of owls were nocturnal!

Slowly, not knowing what else to do, she stood and pushed open the window to get a better look. The owl flew in and landed on the coffee table, something rectangular and white clutched in its beak.

“Dad!” she called out, staring at the bird in the middle of her living room. “Could you come here for a moment?”

As her father trotted down the stairs, the owl dropped whatever it had in its mouth, ruffled its feathers and took off again out the way it came.

Hermione picked up the white rectangle. It was an envelope! Curiosity bubbled over inside her as she slid her finger in the slit and read the letters enclosed.

Her father appeared in the doorway. “What is it, Hermione?”

Wordlessly, she pressed the envelope’s contents into his hand and ran upstairs. She reappeared moments later, tears in her eyes and a large volume of Distinguished Schools of the United Kingdom in her arms.

“Oh, it can’t be real!” she said miserably. “I couldn’t find ‘Hogwarts’ mentioned anywhere in any of my books!”

--

Remus Lupin sat in an old tire swing in his backyard, watching the daylight fade to dusk.

His father had left for Scotland early that morning, angry and frustrated at not finding a Hogwarts acceptance letter on their doorstep first thing that morning. Remus was anxiously awaiting his return.

His whole life he had wanted to attend the magical school that his father had told him about, but he had rarely entertained a hope. How could he be allowed to attend a school with so many children who never regarded safety rules at the best of times? He would have to be homeschooled.

But still he could not help reading about the history of the school and wondering in amazement over the secret passageways and moving staircases. How could people think he was unnatural in a place that defied every law of physics and reality ever known just by existing?

Slowly, they sun sank behind the hills and the small amount of hope that Remus had kept alive like a flickering flame throughout the day went out. If his father was not back with good news by now, there was no good news to be had.

His spirits as low as they had ever been, he trudged into the house, down the hall, and into his bedroom.

Hogwarts, a History lay open on his bed. Remus picked it up and tossed it carelessly into his wardrobe. He was not angry. He just felt cheated and disappointed.

There was a knock at his bedroom door. Remus looked up as his father entered the room.

“What happened?” Remus asked, dreading the answer.

Wordlessly, his father held up a thick envelope addressed to Remus Lupin.

Unnatural or not, Remus Lupin was going to Hogwarts.

--

Bellatrix Black lay on her bed, teasing the small kitten on the floor with a ribbon. Every time the kitten jumped up, claws outstretched to paw at the ribbon, she jerked it away and the kitten to fell over sideways onto the hardwood.

Bored, she rolled over onto her back, leaving the kitten to search for the vanished ribbon. The sound of someone running up the stairs echoed through her house. A few seconds later her bedroom door burst open, her sister panting on the threshold.

“What?” Bellatrix snapped.

Andromeda held up a large envelope. “This just came for you!”

She looked at the spiky green ink spelling out her name and address. “Okay,” she said.

Her sister scooped up the meowing kitten, still holding the letter. “It’s from Hogwarts!” she said eagerly.

Bellatrix stood up, beginning to get annoyed at Andromeda. “I know.”

Andromeda looked at her, confused. “Aren’t you excited?” she asked. “You’ve been accepted!”

Bellatrix shrugged. “It’s not like there was any doubt I’d be going.” She took the offered envelope and tossed it onto the bed. “Unlike you.” She laughed and left the room without a backwards glance at the acceptance letter to her future.

--

Argus Filch’s eyes flew open as the sunlight from the window began to creep across his bed.

Eleven! He was finally eleven! It felt like he had been waiting forever for this day to come.

Quickly he stuffed his feet into his slippers and ran downstairs to the kitchen.

His mother sat in her dressing gown at the table, sipping coffee. She smiled when she haw him. “You’re up early, birthday boy.”

“Has the post come?” he asked breathlessly.

She shook her head.

His face fell and a brick of disappointment settled in his stomach.

“I haven’t even sent our letters out yet, Argus,” she said softly. “It’ll be here shortly.”

It was very early, he thought to himself, there was still lots of time for it to come.

The day passed with Argus sitting at the open window, watching the sky for any sign of an owl.

As the moon climbed to its highest point in the sky, Argus furiously wiped his wet cheeks with his sleeve, sick with disappointment. He had waited all day, not even touching his birthday cake.

His mother put her hands on his shoulder and kissed the top of his head. “Don’t worry. I’m sure that the owl’s just gotten lost or delayed.”

“Maybe…” he said slowly, but in his heart of hearts he knew that his letter would never come.