Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Long Road Home by Ashwinder

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

The Long Road Home, Chapter Sixteen


a. k. a., The Talk



A/N: This is a guest chapter written by Maid Marian.


"Harry, dear you’re home early," Molly Weasley said as she stood at the cooker, preparing what smelled like another excellent meal for that night’s dinner.



"Yes, I was at a breaking point, so Mr. Hill sent me home. Has there been any post?"



"No, dear, not today."



"All right, I’ll just…" Harry began but was soon stopped by Mrs Weasley.



"Arthur is in his shed, I believe he wanted to talk to you about the Portkey to Sirius’ house. Why don’t you go out there now, and then when you’re done with your talk you can help Arthur come in."



Harry froze on the spot; he had been avoiding this very situation for the past several weeks. It hadn’t been an easy task, for he honestly liked Mr Weasley, but the last thing he wanted to do was have that kind of talk with him. And although Harry knew he had no way of getting out of this, he tried to change the subject anyway. "Is his leg still bothering him?"



"Yes, I’m afraid so. I told him to sit down while he’s in that infernal shed, but he never does. The other day I had to help him walk back in. Be a good lad, and go now. Supper will be ready soon," Mrs Weasley said with some despair in her voice.



Harry had no choice. He lowered his head and walked out the kitchen door. Hopefully Mr Weasley would be so pre-occupied with working on the Portkey, he’d forget to talk to him. That’s if Harry’s luck held out… He didn’t have a snowball's chance in hell.



~~~



Harry knocked on the old shed door, remembering the last time he had been in here. It had been the day after Ginny had talked some sense into him. The same day Ron had been Apparating all over the place trying to avoid Mrs Weasley because of his "conjugal visit" remark. Harry smiled at the memory.



"Come!" Harry heard Mr Weasley call, and he opened the door.



"Harry, come in, come in. Watch the washing machine; I’ve been working on it. Oh, careful, careful, here let me move that," Mr Weasley said as he tried to move a large, strange-looking object. Clearly he was having difficulties trying to move it, and Harry moved quickly to give him a hand.



"Um… Mr Weasley, what is this?"



"I don’t rightly know," he said, scratching his head. "One of my counterparts in the States sent this to me a few weeks back. I believe this is some sort of light, but I’m not sure what it does. I don’t know why it has bars around the outside. I’m sure I’ll work out what it is sooner or later." He laughed.



Harry chuckled too, but his nervousness started to show, as his hands became quite sweaty. He hid them in his pockets. "Mrs Weasley said you had a Portkey question for me."



"Yes, yes, well, actually I needed your watch. I thought I’d just add Sirius’ house to the dial. Thought that might be a bit more convenient for you."



"Oh, yes, that would great. I wasn’t sure if you could do that. I mean add Portkey stops to the watch," Harry said, trying to act nonchalantly as he handed the watch to Mr Weasley.



"Oh, I’m sure I could add a few more to the watch. You’d just have to tell me what stops you’d like," Mr Weasley said, eyeing Harry closely, as if he was waiting for Harry to ask. "Harry can you bring down those maps on that top shelf over there? I’m going to have to match the coordinates for Sirius’ house on the Muggle and wizard maps. Since Sirius lives in a predominantly Muggle area, the wizarding maps don’t show his town. We’ll just have to match them up, and I can plug the co-ordinates in, and you’ll be all set." Mr Weasley was eyeing him closely again.



Harry and Mr Weasley worked in silence for several minutes. Harry was fascinated with the procedures for the Portkey, but along with the co-ordinates, Mr Weasley had to charm the watch. Harry began to think that he was in the clear, since Mr Weasley was almost done with no sign of the talk forthcoming, and he breathed a sigh of relief.



"Harry, it’s easy for me to add another stop. Are you sure you don’t want me…"



"Um… no, no really, I can’t think of any…"



"Hogsmeade?"



If Harry could, he would have crawled into the washing machine and stayed there until spring. How could Mr Weasley just ask him that? Didn’t he want him as far away from Ginny as Mrs Weasley obviously did? Was this a test? If he said yes, would Mr Weasley read him the riot act on the proper way his daughter was supposed to be treated? If he said no, would Mr Weasley call him a liar, and read him the riot act anyway?



"Harry, you don’t have to worry, I’m not going to read you the riot act." He laughed when Harry gulped and turned red from his neck up. "I know what young kids get up to, and I’m pretty sure you and Ginny haven’t got up to anything you shouldn’t. And even if you have… Well, even though I’m her father, I can see how much you two love each other. I understand these things better than you think I do."



Harry couldn’t have blushed any redder, and he groped around for a chair, as his knees were getting a little shaky. Mr Weasley must have noticed this; he Transfigured an old lawn mower into a bench for the two of them to sit on.



"You’ve been avoiding me. I’ll assume you heard Molly mention something about a talk she wanted me to have with you." Mr Weasley smiled. "You don’t have to answer, and I’m not here to embarrass you. But you have to help me here." He chuckled. "Molly’s been after me to have this talk, and I can’t lie to her. She has this uncanny knack of knowing when I try to lie to her," he laughed again. "So if you and I talk a bit, I can honestly say that we did, and both you and I are off the hook."



Harry had always liked Mr Weasley, and this was just another reason why. He could have made this hard on him, but he was being realistic, and trying to make it easier on both of them. Maybe this wouldn’t be too bad.



"So, should I add Hogsmeade on to this watch?"



"Um… yes, but it’s not what you think. I mean, well, I am going to the Winter Solstice Ball with Ginny, and the Portkey would come in handy. And… when they start having Hogsmeade weekends, I’d be able to go and visit Ginny for the day. I promise I won’t use it any other time," Harry said as calmly as he could.



"That’s fine," he smiled. "Here let’s look at that map; I just want to make sure I remember the correct co-ordinates."



Harry watched as Mr Weasley spoke the words to the incantation. As he did before with the co-ordinates for Sirius’ home, he included the Hogsmeade numbers in the charm and gently waved his wand over the watch, expelling a soft blue light over the watch, which in turn, glowed for a few seconds. The colours of the charm were beautiful, but it gave him a pang in his stomach. The feelings the watch inspired were bittersweet: on one hand the idea of being able to see Ginny whenever he wanted gave him a warm feeling, but it was countered by the cold thought that he would never be able to do what Mr Weasley had just done.



"Harry, this won’t work the same way as before, basically because I’ve added more stops," Mr Weasley explained. "It’s still quite simple though. Just set the hands to where you want to go. Midnight for the Ministry of Magic, three o’clock for Hogsmeade, six o’clock for home, and 9 o’clock for Sirius. Once you've set the proper destination just close the watch cover, which will then activate the Portkey. I just have one more charm to perform and you’ll be all set."



Mr Weasley worked quietly for a time, and Harry thought he was preparing himself to say something, which Harry didn’t take as a good sign.



"Harry, I hope you won’t be put out with me or think I’m interfering in your life. Believe me, I would never interfere between you and Ginny, and neither would Molly," he chuckled. "Although I’m not sure you’d agree with that. Ginny’s our daughter and we love her. And you Harry, you’ve been a part of this family for so long now…" His voice broke slightly, and he couldn't continue.



Harry couldn’t look at Mr Weasley. Just as he'd been choked up when Mrs Weasley had voiced those same thoughts weeks ago, he was again fighting to stay in control.



Mr Weasley found his voice again. "Molly and I want you to know that you can come to us if you have any questions. You’ve turned out to be a fine man. It amazes me, and I don’t mean that as a slight. You’ve not had the benefit of… proper adults in your life, except for when you were at Hogwarts."



"And here," Harry said, looking straight at Mr Weasley.



"Yes," he smiled. "Well, I’m sure Sirius would have been a fine role model, and I’m sure you’d prefer to talk to him about this. But I’m not sure he would be all that comfortable with it." He laughed nervously again. "To tell you the truth, I’m not all that comfortable with it, and I’ve done this six times already."



Harry was looking down at the floor. He really did not want to be here, but what could he do? He couldn’t just walk out on Mr Weasley, not when he’d opened his house--hell his whole family--up to Harry. As bad as this was going to be--and Harry would have bet his last Knut this was going to be bad--he owed it to Mr and Mrs Weasley to listen. He raised his head and looked at Mr Weasley, showing him he was waiting for him to continue.



"I’m not really sure how to begin. I mean, obviously I’m not going to tell you what I told the other boys." Mr Weasley rubbed the back of his neck, which was the usual Weasley red. "I’m sure, if you were dating someone else I wouldn’t even be here, but that's not the case. Ginny’s not our only concern; you are too, Harry. We’ve seen another young couple move too fast with…" He rubbed his neck again. "With certain aspects of their relationship, and well, it didn’t go well. That’s to say the least; as a matter of fact, it ruined both their lives.



Harry could tell that this was not easy for Mr Weasley, so he didn’t talk. He just waited for Mr Weasley to get his train of thought, but Harry’s eyes never left his.



"I don’t know if you know that Bill is named for my brother Bilius. He was two years behind Molly and me at Hogwarts. The year Molly and I left school Bilius began dating a girl." He rubbed his eyes. "Lucretia," he smiled. "She was a lovely girl. Anyone could tell how much they loved each other. At the end of their sixth year they…" He looked at Harry, and with a completely straight face said, "Took their relationship to that next level."



Harry shifted nervously. This wasn’t as bad as he has thought it would be; it was worse. Once again he looked at Mr Weasley and waited for him to continue.



"My brother was my best mate. He was fun to be around, and he had a good head on his shoulders. He did fairly well in school, was made prefect in his fifth year, as did Lucretia. He was very good at Transfiguration, but Potions and Charms, that was another story." He shook his head and had a sad smile on his face. "They were in love, but they weren’t stupid. The thought they’d taken the right precautions, but in the end they were wrong. Lucretia became pregnant that June."



Harry didn’t know what to say. He was thinking back to Ginny’s last night at the Burrow. He had wanted to make love to her, and now he realised what an idiot he had been. He'd never even thought of birth control, and he didn’t even know if Ginny had thought about it. That wasn’t the subject you brought up to your girlfriend while you were sitting by the fire in her living room. What if they had made love? What if Ginny had become pregnant? It didn’t bear thinking about, and now his thoughts were pulled back to Mr Weasley, who was speaking again.



"…They married that summer. It was very hard for them. Bilius couldn’t get a good paying job, and they weren’t able to afford the best medical services. In the end…" Harry could clearly see tears in Mr Weasley’s eyes, and he watched him wipe away all traces of them. "They lost the baby. Even after that, they didn’t have an easy time. Bilius died a few years later, and Lucretia a few years after that. I want you to know though…" He looked directly at Harry. "They loved each other, till the very end. Even though they had ruined their lives, and their married life was filled with strife, they always loved each other."



Harry saw the pain in Mr Weasley’s eyes, and he turned away to give the man time to compose himself. He sat there, and realised why Mrs Weasley had hovered over them all summer. How could he blame her? She didn’t want them to go through what Mr Weasley’s brother had gone through.



"Harry, I’m sorry about that. I hadn’t expected to tell you that. The point I was trying to make was really about potions and charms. I don’t look at you and Ginny and see my brother and Lucretia, but I know Molly does. She mentioned it to me, so I guess it was on my mind."



"It’s okay, Mr Weasley," Harry said sheepishly. "I understand what you were trying to say. I just want to let you know, Ginny and I haven’t taken that step yet. So you really don’t have to worry."



Mr Weasley laughed at Harry was taken aback by it. "Harry, I’ll worry about you and Ginny till I’m old and grey. I’m a parent; it comes with the territory."



They sat there in silence for a while. They seemed to have made peace with the idea of this talk, but Harry knew there was more to come. He just hoped it wouldn’t be as heart-wrenching as this last bit of information.



"This is very hard for me, Harry, but I have to ask. Have you and Ginny discussed birth control?"



"I told you we haven’t…"



"Yes, I know what you said," he interrupted. "But can you sit there and tell me you’ve never been on the verge. That the thought of that step hasn’t come up?"



Harry knew Mr Weasley knew the answers to those questions. He had never lied to Mr Weasley, and he wasn’t about to start. "There were a couple of occasions that we almost… but we didn’t," he said nervously.



"It’s okay, I’m not upset. I’m not going to tell you that I’m fine with the idea of you and Ginny having a sexual relationship. It’s just that I’m not naïve, and I know it happens. And if there’s a chance of it happening, I want you two to be prepared and protected."



This was just getting worse by the minute. Harry decided right there and then, if Mr Weasley brought out any samples or books he was getting up and leaving. He didn’t care what anyone said. He prayed to a higher power for this to end or for a hole to open up and swallow him on the spot. He waited another minute, sighing when no hole appeared anywhere nearby. He turned to Mr Weasley who had been waiting for him to look at him again.



"I don’t know what to tell you about birth control. If you still had your powers, I’d give you a book…"



Harry started to choke. Any minute now he was going to hyperventilate.



"Harry, son, are you okay?"



"Yes, I just swallowed the wrong way."



"As I was saying, there are many books with contraceptive charms in them, as well as potions books. But even the potions require some sort of magic intervention. Neither of those options are open to you. I have no idea what Muggles do. I’m asking you to be responsible and to look into this," he said matter-of-factly.



When Harry didn’t answer, Mr Weasley’s voice seemed to take on a different tone. "I know you love each other, but are you willing to risk a small baby’s life for one night of passion?"



"No, of course not! You’re right. I just don’t know anything about… well what Muggles do about… that. It’s not like my uncle ever talked to me about this. I’m sure it was his way of seeing if I was as worthless as he thinks I am, just another thing he could throw in my face," Harry said sarcastically, but then he looked at Mr Weasley, who didn't look quite convinced of Harry's ignorance of the subject of Muggle birth control methods. "I mean, I’ve heard some things, we learned a bit about it in primary school, and you hear the other Muggle-borns talk."



"Really! What have you heard?" It seemed Mr Weasley love for anything Muggle had switched on and his interest was now piqued.



Harry was horrified. "I mean I don’t really remember what they taught in school. And I really don’t know if what I’ve heard is the truth or even what I should do," he sputtered. He then breathed deeply and said, "I’ll look into it, I promise. I would never hurt Ginny; you know that, don’t you?"



"I know that. I can see how much you love her, and respect her. I just want you to be careful and prepared for whatever changes that the future will bring you."



It seemed that Mr Weasley had come to the end of his talk, and then the most incomprehensible thing happened. Harry asked a question.



"Mr Weasley, sir. Um... what about Ginny?"



"Ginny? What about her?"



"Can she… I mean to say, not that I won’t keep my promise, because I will. But can she do anything, or is it the wizard's responsibility to um… you know?"



Mr Weasley laughed and Harry cursed whatever demon had momentarily possessed his mind and made him ask that question. Mr Weasley seemed to ponder the reply. Harry didn’t understand that; wasn’t it a yes or no answer? Either witches helped with birth control or they didn’t. Why, oh why, did he have to open his mouth? This talk had gone in different directions, some of which Harry hoped he’d forget soon, and it seemed Mr Weasley had finished, but Harry just hadn't been able to leave it there.



"I would assume most witches are the primary decision-makers when it comes to birth control. Although I don’t believe Molly brought up that particular point when she talked with Ginny," he smiled. "I believe her stance is more towards abstinence."



"I think you’re right," Harry agreed shyly.



"Contraceptive charms are not supposed to be that difficult to master. The potions may be a little more complicated, but they are just as effective. Well…" he hesitated. "In most cases, that is."



"Most cases?"



"Harry, do you know what I do at the Ministry?"



"You work for the Misuse of Muggles Artefacts office," he said, a bit confused.



"Yes," he smiled. "But do you know what it entails?"



"Um… not really."



"Well, most of it is somewhat tedious, I’ll admit, but I work mainly with charms. I have to reverse charms that witches and wizards have placed on Muggle items. I also have to re-enchant wizarding items others have tampered with. Some would think that a simple Reverso charm, or even Finite Incantatem would do it, but it’s not that simple," he said, somewhat embarrassed.



"Yes, I’d imagine it’s not," Harry said confused, not knowing where this conversation was heading, and somewhat worried about that fact.



"I was top of my year in Charms at Hogwarts," he said proudly. "I even received the highest NEWT in Charms that Hogwarts has ever awarded. That’s what really got me into the Ministry. The first department I worked for was a branch of the Auror division. I would go into raids with the Aurors and look for tampered items. Back during the Dark Lord's first reign, the Death Eaters took pleasure in a different type of Muggle torture. They would bewitch items and send them out into the Muggle world. Many times, it resulted in severe injury and even death. They enchanted knives to stab the Muggles as they were using them to cook. Tea pots that would explode sending scalding water onto unsuspecting people. They even…" Mr Weasley stopped and composed himself before continuing. "They even charmed Muggle money. Coins. Muggle children would feel compelled to put them in their mouths and many times these poor children choked."



Harry was shocked, but reprimanded himself. Why should anything the Death Eaters did shock him? After all, they were inhuman. He'd never stopped to consider that Mr Weasley might have been that involved in the first war.



"I’m sorry again, Harry. I seem to be drifting off into deep topics when I’m really just trying to make a simple point," he said, embarrassed.



"That’s all right, go on."



"The point I was making was you don’t have to be a top student in Charms to work the contraceptive charms. But, I was a top student, the top student, and…" He chuckled. "Well, I have seven children. Does that tell you anything about my prowess with those particular charms?"



"I don’t…"



"Molly and I were married two years after we left school. Bill arrived two years later, but he wasn’t our first, so to speak. Molly had two early misses before Bill." He stopped at the confused look on Harry’s face. "I don’t really know how to explain this. A lot of women can become pregnant, but nature will take over very early on, and they lose the baby, most of the time before they even know they’re pregnant. That happened to us twice. It upset us, but we weren’t ready for children yet, so in a way it was better. But we realised that our protection method wasn’t working. So Molly added a potion along with the charm. Molly," he said proudly, "was top of her year in potions. A very capable witch. She worked in an apothecary before Bill was born. Well, you would think with a charm and a potion, we’d be safe."



Harry nodded in agreement.



"So, have you met my son Bill," he laughed. "He was conceived while we used both methods, as was Charlie."



"I don’t understand, what went wrong?" Harry clapped a hand over his mouth, shocked that he'd voiced that thought aloud. At the same time he felt a tinge of sadness to recall that Charlie has been conceived when all odds were against it happening, but that hadn't stopped the killing curse from getting him.



Mr Weasley laughed at Harry’s forwardness. "We don’t know, but we have an idea." He smiled at Harry’s inquisitive look. "Do you know Molly had six brothers, just like Ginny?"



"Um… no, I didn’t… she had?"



"Well, four of her younger brothers are still with us. They live far away, she corresponds with them often, but she doesn’t get to see them as much as she’d like. Two of her brothers, Freddy and Georgie…" A sad smile appeared across his face. "Were killed in the first war with Voldemort." He took a deep breath. "She’s the oldest. I guess that’s where her mothering skills come from," he smiled.



"She’s good at it," Harry said, and then blushed.



"Yes, she is. And I think she was meant to have a lot of children. I come from a large family, too. I think when the two of us came together we were destined to have a large family, no matter what protection we used. "



"Oh," Harry said, embarrassed.



"I think Ginny may take after her mother. You may not see it, but she is so much like Molly, it’s scary sometimes. Do you understand what I’m saying?"



"Yeah, of course I…Oh… Oh… you mean…" Harry stumbled over his words, once he realised what Mr Weasley meant. And yes, this talk had just become worse. Ginny was like her mum, so most likely she’d have a lot of kids. And if she was like her mum, it didn’t matter what protection she used, she’d probably have babies even when she wasn’t prepared for them. And if they did anything, even if they were careful, she could get pregnant, and that wouldn’t be good, because she’d have to raise the baby on her own. After all, he’d surely be dead at the hands of her brothers. Wild thoughts were racing through Harry’s mind, and he barely realised that Mr Weasley was having a good chuckle at his expense.



"I’m sorry Harry, I didn’t mean to scare you. I really only wanted to warn you. Are you okay?"



"Yes, yes, I’m fine. But you did find something that worked, I mean… Well Ginny’s your last…" Harry paled; he could not believe he'd just said that.



"Well," Mr Weasley chuckled again, and gave Harry the impression that he was enjoying Harry's prying questions, and subsequent mortified looks. "Even before Ginny was born, Molly decided enough was enough. No matter what the baby was, this one was going to be our last. The Medi-wizard took care of things for us."



Harry had a slight idea of what he meant, but he kept his mouth shut for once. But not for long, for something was bothering him. If Mrs Weasley had babies so easily then why was there such a long break in between Charlie and Percy? Charlie was at least six years older than Percy, which didn’t make sense to Harry.



"Mr Weasley?"



"Yes, Harry."



"Did Mrs Weasley… I mean, I was just wondering. Did she have more um… misses? I mean Charlie and Percy…" What was wrong with him tonight? How could he ask that? And from the look on Mr Weasley’s face he wasn’t too happy that Harry had asked the question either. "I’m sorry, don’t answer that, I shouldn’t…"



"No, it’s all right. Seems after tonight, I won’t have too many secrets from you, will I Harry?" he laughed sadly.



"No, really, no, you don’t have to."



"No, I think I do. As a matter of fact, Molly and I where going to talk to all of you kids, about this especially after recent events. I don’t think the others will mind if I tell you now."



Harry had no idea what Mr Weasley was talking about, but he realised Mr Weasley needed to tell him something important, and he waited for the older man to begin.



"Two years after Charlie was born, Molly was expecting again," he chuckled. "I told you she was meant to have babies." He laughed again at Harry’s blush. "It was during Voldemort's first rise to power. The Dark Lord was getting stronger, and he was recruiting Death Eaters at an alarming rate. I was still working with the Auror division, but I had been moved into a new group, the Committee for Experimental Charms. We were trying to develop charms to protect against the unforgivables. The premise was based on the Fidelius Charm, which…"



"I know what the Fidelius Charm does," Harry said bitterly.



"I’m sorry, Harry, of course you do."



Harry composed himself, and asked Mr Weasley to continue.



"Well, if a charm could block locator charms, maybe we could make one to block controlling and pain-inflicting curses. I was working on it with my partner. Julius Farmer was a good man. We must have been getting close to a workable charm, and someone had let the Death Eaters know we were getting close." He stopped and looked at Harry’s confused expression. "Yes, there were spies in the Ministry back then too. We didn’t know who they were, but they were keeping a careful watch on everything that was going on. We also had spies, and we got word that they were interested in Julius and me."



"What did you do?"



"I had Molly and the children placed under the Fidelius Charm, and I was preparing to go into hiding myself." Once again Mr Weasley put his hands to his face, as if he were trying to rub away some old pain he was reliving.



"What happened?"



"Nothing to me, at that point. I had acted quickly enough, and Molly and the children were safe. Julius wasn’t as lucky." He stared out into space for quiet some time. "Julius and I were here at the Burrow, collecting paperwork we needed, and then we'd be off to his home before we went into hiding. We Apparated to his house," he faltered. "There was a dark green skull in the sky above the front door. We had never seen anything like it before, but we knew it wasn’t good. We ran into the house and found his wife, and his small daughter. They were dead."



Harry didn’t move; he didn’t say a word. He'd never realised all the horrors Mr Weasley had seen in his life. How did this man go on? He seemed to be such a happy-go-lucky person. Harry's respect for Mr Weasley increased tenfold in a matter of moments.



"I went into hiding, while Julius settled his affairs; he joined me a few weeks later. We were working morning, noon and night, and we were getting close. Then there was a security breach. We were found, and a fight ensued. Julius didn’t survive the attack. It must have been the stress; he started flinging unforgivables at the Death Eaters. He killed two of them before he was killed."



"What happened to you?"



"I was doing my best without using an unforgivable. Even though the Aurors had been given permission to use them, and technically I was under their jurisdiction, I couldn’t do it. I had lived my life on the side of good, I wasn’t going to save my skin by using dark magic." He paused. "I was wrong, though, I learned that the hard way, and paid a very steep price." He looked at Harry and said, "Sometimes you have to fight the dark with dark magic. Sometimes that’s the only thing that will work. I realised that it doesn’t matter how you defeat the dark side, just as long as you do it."



"So, what happened?"



"I was captured. They weren’t interested in killing me or Julius for that matter. They wanted the charms we were working on. To make an extremely long story short, I was held for almost two years. The Ministry thought I was dead, so they weren’t looking for me. It just so happened they stormed the building I was being held in, and I was rescued."



"That must have been horrible for you and Mrs Weasley."



"It was. With all the strain, she lost the baby… a girl. I think that’s another reason why Molly’s so protective of Ginny."



"So, everything was fine, once you came home?"



"Not exactly. I was injured. My leg…" He stopped and looked at Harry.



Harry spoke, but hesitantly, not wanting to assume too much. "I thought there was something. Mrs Weasley was very upset when you got hurt. And your leg hasn’t healed yet. I wondered, but… Mrs Weasley always seemed to change the subject."



"She doesn’t like to remember those times. It was very hard on her. She was raising two young boys on her own. She had no income to speak of. She mortgaged or sold anything she could, just to survive. I really don’t know how she did it, all the while proclaiming I was still alive. She never lost hope." He brushed yet another tear from his eye. "She’s an amazing woman, and if my Ginny is half the woman she is, you’ll be a very lucky man."



Harry wasn’t going to disagree with that. He already knew he was a lucky man. Now he realised they both were.



"That’s why there’s such an age difference between Charlie and Percy. I was gone for a while, and then I had a major rehabilitation to undertake."



"What happened to your leg?"



"Among other things, the Death Eaters used a Severing Charm on my leg. At first it was only the tendons, and then when that didn’t get my support, they severed the actual bone. That’s why my leg isn’t healing properly. It took weeks before I had proper medical attention, and it never quite healed. I didn’t have a limp, but I’ve always had some pain."



"I’m sorry for everything."



"Harry, this was before you were even born," he said firmly.



"I know. It’s not that. I’m sorry you had to have that happen to you. You and Mrs Weasley didn’t deserve that."



"In all honesty, we were the lucky ones. We survived."



"How do you do it? How can you have such horrible things happen to you, and still be happy?"



"Easy. I have Molly." He stood up, as did Harry, and he stretched with some pain, and placed his hand on Harry’s shoulder, but not for support. And Harry thought he had Ginny; maybe that was all he needed to be happy, to survive.



It seemed that all that could be said had been. Mr Weasley rolled up the maps, and Harry placed them back on the shelf. Harry looked at his watch and smiled. He wasn’t going to dwell on sad thoughts. He thought about the time he would place the hour hand on three o'clock and be in Hogsmeade with Ginny. He was brought out of his dream when Mr Weasley suggested they go in for dinner, which he commented must be stone cold. They had been out in the shed for two hours. Harry placed his hand on Mr Weasley’s elbow and guided him towards the Burrow. He thought Mr Weasley might be embarrassed by this gesture, but if he was, he said or did nothing that made Harry release his arm.



"Mr Weasley, I really have to apologise to you," Harry said nervously as they walked on the dimly lighted path towards the kitchen door.



"Whatever for?"



"I really shouldn’t have asked all those questions. I mean it’s really none of my business. And, well, I’m sorry; I hope you’re not upset with me."



"Harry…" Mr Weasley shook his head. "I have to tell you. I wasn’t looking forward to this talk on so many levels," he laughed. "I had no idea what to say to you, and I wasn’t sure if you’d resent me for butting into your life."



"You weren’t butting in," he burst out, and then continued shyly, "um… sorry."



"I’m glad you feel that way. I want you to know, you can always come to me and ask anything you want. The other boys…" He laughed again. "Well, let’s just say, some asked more questions, some less, and one just sat there, his face red the entire time. As a matter of fact, that one didn’t talk to me for almost a whole month afterwards. So you’re ahead on that score."



"Thanks, Mr Weasley." He looked at the older man with the utmost respect and love. "Thanks for everything."



The two of them entered the quiet kitchen and sat at the table. Mrs Weasley must have gone to bed, but she'd left the meal for them on the table, warming charms still in place. They ate in companionable silence, and it was comforting. Neither one was embarrassed or upset. They had said all there was to say for one night, hell, for a whole year. But something inside Harry told him he wouldn’t be surprised if he and Mr Weasley shared many more talks in the years to come, and in a strange way, Harry was looking forward to them.



~~~~




Molly Weasley had been in her upstairs bedroom for well over an hour now, her thoughts running wild and unable to imagine what Arthur and Harry could be talking about. This was getting ridiculous. The two men had been out in that god-forsaken shed for two hours, and they'd been sitting downstairs for yet another hour. She couldn’t hear any voices, and she was afraid to venture down to the kitchen. What if Arthur was still talking to the boy? What if Harry was asking questions? She didn’t dare interrupt, although she had to laugh about the idea of Harry asking questions. She knew Harry very well, and if she was right--and she knew she was--Harry would listen to Arthur and never utter a sound, let alone ask a question.



Her biggest concern was Arthur’s approach to the subject at hand. She had some doubts as to Arthur’s real feelings on this talk. After all, she hadn't been thrilled with the talks he'd had with the boys. She'd had a fit when she'd learned he had told Bill to use protection. Not only that, he'd given the boy a book on contraceptive charms. Arthur’s thinking was that it was a natural occurrence and he’d rather his boys protect themselves and whatever girl they might be with. Where he came up with these ideas, she had no clue. What was wrong with abstinence? Why couldn’t the boys just settle down with nice girls and get married? Percy had gone that route, but he'd always been such a good boy.



But she was sure he’d never have that same talk with Harry. After all, Harry was dating Ginny, his own daughter. Didn’t he want her pure, untouched? Of course he did! She was positive that Harry Potter was going to get a much different talk tonight.



He was a good boy who would listen to Arthur and respect their wishes, even though the boy had been avoiding Arthur at all costs, to an extent that it was becoming quite comical. As much as she hated to admit it, Arthur seemed thrilled that Harry had been avoiding him for weeks. That was one reason why she'd taken matters into her own hands. Harry had mentioned again that he’d like to go visit his godfather, and he would need Arthur to make him a Portkey. So when the opportunity came, with Harry's early arrival home, she'd sent him to Arthur’s shed. She hadn't been sure what Arthur was fiddling with in there tonight, but once Harry had got there, she'd had every confidence that Arthur would talk to the boy.



She was now trying to find a chore to occupy her time, while she waited for Arthur to come up to bed. The linen cupboard needed to be sorted out, she thought, and she set to it until she heard the footsteps on the stairs.



"Mrs Weasley, do you need any help there?" Harry said. He couldn't have missed the contents of the linen cupboard out in the corridor.



"Harry, dear, oh thank you, no. That’s quite all right. Have you and Arthur eaten?"



"Oh, yes, thanks, it was delicious. I set the plates in the sink; Mr Weasley couldn’t remember the proper cleaning spell…"



"Oh, don’t worry about that. I’ll take care of them in the morning."



Before Harry had the chance to walk past her and up to his room, Molly decided to make sure that he and Arthur had indeed talked.



"Harry, did Mr Weasley have a talk with you tonight?"



"Um, yes." Harry’s face went completely red; as a matter of fact, he looked somewhat frightened.



"Good, I’m glad. You understand it’s not that we’re prying, but we want the best for you and for Ginny."



"Yes, I understand." He was flattened up against the wall and looked as if he was trying to edge his way past.



"And I hope Arthur made it clear that we’d prefer for the two of you to wait."



"Um…"



"You’re both so young, and there’s really no rush. And I know that you’d respect Ginny more--not that you don’t now. But you’ll see as you get older, you’ll look back and know how special it was to wait. And I know from my own experience, that I felt revered, cherished, that Arthur respected my wishes."



Molly wondered if Harry was feeling well. His face was flushed, and he looked a bit unsteady on his feet. She had the strange thought that this was the first time he was hearing any of this. But that couldn't be right, could it?



"Are you feeling well dear? You look at bit flushed," she asked cautiously.



"Um… yes, I’m… a bit tired."



"Harry?"



"Yes, Mrs Weasley?"



"Arthur did talk to you about your relationship with Ginny, didn’t he?"



"Yes, yes, he did." The boy had gone quite pale now.



"He did emphasise the fact that we would prefer you and Ginny abstain from…"



"Molly, spring cleaning in December? What brought this on?" Arthur asked as he climbed the last step onto the landing.



"Oh, Arthur, you should have called me. I would have come down to help you," she said, concerned.



"I’m fine. Harry, why don’t you go to bed?" he chuckled "I think you’ve talked yourself out."



"Arthur!"



"Molly, the boy is tired, let him be. Go ahead, Harry; we’ll see you in the morning. Come on Molly, I’ll help you finish this, and then we can go to bed."



Arthur and Molly worked together quietly, placing the linens and toiletries back in the cupboard. Molly eyed her husband as he levitated the towels onto the shelf. If he thought he was getting out of talking to her, he was sadly mistaken. She was going to find out exactly what he'd said to that boy. She’d let him fall into a false sense of security and when he thought he was in the clear, she’d attack.



~~~



"Come on, love, let’s go to bed," she said tenderly. "Do you need anything? An extra pillow? Heating cloth for your leg?" she said as she closed and locked the door, then placed a silencing charm on the room.



"No dear, thank you," he said groggily.



The two lay in there bed, Molly waiting until Arthur was just about to nod off, before speaking. "Arthur, what exactly did you and Harry talk about tonight?



"Oh, well the subject we talked about," he said nervously.



"Yes, that’s what you said you would do, but for some reason I don’t think you did."



"Molly, it’s late. I said I’d talk to him, and I did and…"



"Yes, but what did you say? Did you tell him that he and Ginny should abstain?"



"Well… the subject of abstinence did come up," he said with some strain in his voice.



"And what did he say?"



"Well, if you must know, I think his exact words were I think you’re right." He rolled over on his side so that she couldn’t see his face.



"Really, that’s wonderful. Did that come up right away?"



"Oh, um, no, I think… well, we talked about the Portkey first. I added Sirius’ home and Hogsmeade to his… watch," the last word said very softly, so much so, Molly nearly didn’t hear him.



"You added Hogsmeade onto his watch? Why? Why on earth would you do that?" She sat up quickly. "Please turn around and look at me; I would like to know why you did that."



"He’s going to Hogsmeade for the dance, I just thought…"



"Why couldn’t you just charm a rock? Why did you have to make it so permanent?"



"Well, Hogsmeade is a useful stop to have, and besides, he’ll most likely be going to visit Ginny, once the weekend visits start." His voice was almost pleading.



"I don’t like it, Arthur, not one bit. What else did you talk about?" Her voice had become a bit more forceful.



"A lot of things Molly." He sat up as well. "I told him about Bilius and Lucretia."



"Oh, Arthur." Her anger faded. "That must have been very hard for you. I’m sorry I brought that up."



"No, don’t worry. Harry at least understands why you feel the way you do." He smiled shyly at her.



"What do you mean, he understands the way I feel?" The irritation was beginning to come out in her voice.



"I mean, I just meant…"



"You told him it was okay, didn’t you? You told him the same thing that you told the boys. I was furious when you told our own sons to protect themselves and no more! But now you tell Harry, who's like one of my own, that it’s all right with you if he has sex with our daughter. Not just some other poor parent’s daughter, but our own little girl!" She was livid now. "What could you have told him about protection? You couldn’t have given him that damn charms book. What could you have possibly told him?"



"Molly, calm down, he’ll hear you," Arthur pleaded.



"He won’t hear a thing. I locked the door and silenced the room before I got into bed. I had a feeling we’d be having a fight. Not this fight of course, but a fight no less. Your own daughter, Arthur, how could you?"



"Because she is my daughter, and I love her, and I love him. I want them happy, and I want them protected. They love each other, Molly; this is not some school-girl crush. We’ve had this conversation. I don’t know why you can’t see it." His voice was rising to a level that she had rarely heard him use. "Do you see the way he looks at her? He is devoted to her. He would give his life for her. And she would do the same for him. I told him to look into protection methods that he can use now. I don’t want what happened to my brother to happen to them. Not to any of our children." He paused to clear his throat somewhat. "I know you don’t approve of the way I handled things with the boys. But telling them to stay virgins is not going to stop babies from being made. And who knows where that could lead? It can be joyous or disastrous. I want my children happy, I want them safe, but most of all, I want them alive."



She was speechless. She simply could not understand his thinking. This was his own daughter, his only daughter! Didn’t he want the best for her? Didn’t he want her happy? "What are you staring at?"



"Nothing," he said.



"No, tell me, you just gave me the strangest look," she said annoyed.



"It’s just…well you looked just like your mum just now…" He broke off suddenly, his expression showing the mistake he'd just made.



"I…" She couldn’t get the words out. She was shocked. If she thought about it, she knew that he hadn’t meant it the way she had taken it. She felt the tears begin to flow from her eyes, and she turned her back on him. She didn’t want to talk to him; she didn’t want to talk about her.



"Molly," he said softly. "Molly, dear, I didn’t mean…you know I don’t think…Molly please turn around." He squeezed her shoulder, trying to pull her towards him. "I'm sorry, I didn’t mean it like that. You’re not like her. You never were. It was a thoughtless thing to say. Please Molly... " His hand was still on her, caressing her softly.



"Arthur," she said with her back still towards him, "I’m not mad. I don’t want to talk about it. I know you didn’t mean it in a bad way. Or…I hope you didn’t."



"Molly, turn around. I need to see you."



She did, even though she hated herself for listening to him. She didn’t want him to see her like this. Weak. Wounded. The way her mother had always made her feel.



"I’m sorry," he said as he wiped the tears from her eyes, and then pulled her into his arms. "I’m a cad. I should have never said that," he continued, as he stroked her back. "You’re such a strong woman; I forget sometimes that you’ve had so much pain. Please forgive me?"



She moved away from him and gave him a small smile. She touched his face with her hand. "There’s nothing to forgive. You didn’t mean anything by it, but I need you to tell me something. I want the truth. How do I remind you of her?"



She could tell he didn’t want to answer, but he must have thought it better to tell her. "You are like her, but not in the bad ways. She was strong and had high principles, and she very rarely changed her mind when it was set. I see you doing that with Ginny and Harry. I know you want the best for them, but what was best for us might not be what they need. You can’t control them and hope they’ll love you for it. Ginny is just as strong as you--more so, I think. I’d hate to not have her in our lives because we couldn’t let her live her life as she saw fit."



Molly lay there thinking of his words. She soon became lost in her thoughts, back to the last time she saw her mother.



"Where are you Molly?" he asked softly, pulling her back to him.



"Thinking about when Ginny was born."



"Molly…"



"No, my god, it’s been seventeen, almost eighteen years… I can't believe it's been so long. She grew up so fast…" Molly stopped and shook herself mentally, wondering where that thought had come from. "I still haven’t told you, " she went on. "I know you wondered, although I know you were more than glad to see her back," she said sarcastically.



"It’s your business, you don’t…"



"No, I think I need to." She smiled at him and then kissed him sweetly. "I don’t regret it, and I never will. Don’t ever think I do. "



"She had just come into the room, this room; I was lying here nursing Ginny. Believe me she was the last person I wanted to see just then. You remember how much grief she gave us when we told her I was expecting again." She stopped, and it was as if time were pulling her back to April 30th 1981.



"Well, what is it?" her mother said, as if Ginny were an animal or book.



"The baby is a girl, and her name is Ginny."



She stood there and tutted. "Hopefully this one will make you stop. You can’t afford the ones you have, and why you want any more of that man’s children, I have no idea. How are you going to clothe it? You can’t put the boys’ cast-offs on her. Although by the looks of your youngest, those clothes are so old, you can’t tell what they were originally. Honestly, Margaret Anne Miller, what were you thinking, having another baby, especially with that man?"



"Mother, if I were you, I’d not say another word.



"Margaret Anne Miller…" she began again as if she was about to give an order.



"Don’t call me that! That is not my name. My name is Molly Weasley. It has been for sixteen years, and it will be for the rest of my life. So you'd better get that through your head. I’ll have all the babies I want. And I’ll make love to my husband every day if I want. You have no say in my life, Mother."



The next thing Molly knew, she was holding her daughter in one arm, and the side of her face with her other hand. "You hit me…"



"How dare you?" her mother said in her usual overbearing, mean voice. "I am your mother and you will never speak to me that way again. This is his fault. You’ve changed since you met him. I had such high hopes for you, Margaret; I thought you’d make something of yourself. He’s only brought you down. I used to pray that they’d find his body all those years ago. Everything would have been much simpler he had the good sense to just die. I kept telling you to stop worrying about him. But no, you couldn’t get on with your life; you mortgaged this rat hole and kept waiting for him to come back. Then when he does turn up, he’s a mess, completely broken! You should have cast him off then. You and your pride, honestly, look what it's got you. Five more babies in as many years, absolutely disgusting." Then she continued in an even more nasty, belittling tone, "At least this one is a girl. I’ll call the Medi-wizard in right now and have this problem fixed, and don’t worry I’ll pay for it."



"Who do you think you are? How dare you come into my house and insult my husband? You don’t like him, well that’s just too damned bad, isn’t it, Mother?" She was in a rage now. "I can’t believe my own mother would be so heartless to pray for my husband’s death. What did it matter to you anyway? It wasn’t as if you were here for me during that time. When I needed money for the boys, did you help me? No, you turned me away. I had to go to Gringotts and mortgage my home. When the bills from St Mungo's started coming in, and while we lived without any income to speak of for two years, did you help me Mother? NO!" she screamed. "You told me to leave him, and my sons. So again I had to go to the Goblins. Do you know what it’s like having to give half your pay to the Goblins each month, Mother? We’ll be doing that for the next twenty years, but it doesn’t matter. I’d do it again. I have Arthur and I have my sons, and now my daughter." Her voice became deathly quiet. "And if you had helped me nine years ago, I might have another daughter. Did you hate me or Arthur that much? I asked you to get the Medi-wizard that night. Why didn’t you call?"



"Babies, is that all you think about? You could have been someone, Margaret."



"You had seven of us, why is that so different?



"Your father and I could afford to have children. We didn’t live in a rat's nest. We are looked upon with respect in the community," she said haughtily. "Your father’s family is one of the oldest in our world.



"So is Arthur’s. His family traces as far back as Daddy’s family.



"Of course it does, you fool. But there’s one difference. Your father’s family were noble, while your husband’s were peasants, and they still are. As your children are and always will be."



"Get out," Molly said fury in her eyes.



"What did you say to me, Margaret?"



"I said, get out. Get out of my house. Get out of my life. I don’t ever want to see you, hear from you, or have any word of you," she said coldly.



"If I leave now, you are dead to me, Margaret. I will never speak to you again, for as long as I live."



"Mother, I’ve been dead to you for years now. Get out of my house."



Molly was crying in earnest now. The pain that had been bottled up so long was spilling out; the dam had finally burst. Arthur comforted her by holding her, and rocking her gently. It wasn’t until the sobs subsided that he dared talk to her.



"I’m sorry, Molly, I’m sorry she hurt you so much. You’re not like her. You’re kind and caring and loving. You’re a wonderful mother, and I know you only have their best interests at heart," he said.



"I know, but I can be overbearing and bossy too. I never wanted to be like her. And now look at me. My daughter is of age, she can make her own choices, and she’s made a wonderful choice. He is a good boy… a good man," she corrected herself. "I can’t say that I’ll tell them to go and be together, but I will try not to meddle and I will give them time for themselves. I want her in my life Arthur, I need her there."



"I know you do." He hugged her tightly.



"I do love them, all of them; I’ll try to control myself, and my opinions."



"You’re a great mum, and an even better wife. You only do what you do, because you love them." Arthur leaned down and kissed her tenderly. "I don’t deserve you, and I never did."



No more words were needed after that. She kissed him again, and held him close to her, forgetting the past for now and remembering only how much she loved her husband. For that is what had held them together through all the lean times, through all the fear and uncertainty. Her love for him was as strong today as it had been all those years ago at school, and she wanted to spend the rest of the night reminding him of that fact.



To Be Continued…



A/N: The idea for using a Severing Charm to injure Arthur was inspired by Lady Chi. She did something similar in "Tested in Fire" and has kindly given Marian and I permission to use the idea. So there you have the Arthur back story. We had originally thought of writing it as a separate story, but with June 21 looming on the horizon, we'd like to get this story finished first before it's sent off to A/U land.



Oh, and nepeta cataria is catnip.