Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Long Road Home by Ashwinder

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

The Long Road Home, Chapter Twenty Two



The sky was gradually lightening by the time Ginny put down her quill. There wouldn't be any time for sleep now, but it didn't matter. She would sleep when this was all over. And it would be over soon. She could hold out until then.



Viktor hadn't returned to the tent since she'd sent him off to make her a Portkey. It was just as well in a way, because his presence would have weighed on her mind at a time when she wanted to concentrate on her feelings for Harry. Still, if he'd stayed out all night… She hoped he was all right. Even if he had fallen in love with her as Gefinn had said, he hadn't acted on those feelings. His actions towards her had been those of a good friend or even a concerned family member. He'd never done anything to indicate that he wanted to take her away from Harry.



She folded up the parchment and wrote Harry's name on the outside of it. Then she stuck her head out of the tent. "Viktor?" she called, uncertain. "Are you there?"



All was quiet for a moment, making Ginny begin to feel a bit worried. But no, she told herself firmly. He wouldn't have left her alone here. She stood and stepped away from the tent, looking around her. Then she heard the sound of footsteps crunching over the frosty ground.



"Yes, I'm here," he said once he'd entered her field of vision. His face was haggard as if he hadn't slept all night, but his expression was inscrutable. He held out his closed fist to her.



"What's this?"



"Your Portkey back to Diagon Alley."



He opened his fist to reveal a sprig of holly leaves with a few red berries nestled among them. The sharp edges of the leaves had cut into his fingers, and as Ginny stared at his offering, a drop of blood trickled along a fingertip and dropped onto the ground. She took it from him gingerly and put it in her pocket.



"You have to activate it with your wand," Viktor added. He sounded resigned. "It'll take you back directly as soon as you do."



"Thank you, Viktor." She turned towards the cave.



"Are you going now?"



"Yes, I am."



He didn't say another word as she walked away from him. She strode towards the crack in the rock, trying to put Viktor out of her mind. She had to concentrate on Harry now. She was going to have help for him before the day was out. The light she'd seen the night before was glowing in the passage, beckoning her onwards. She was expected.



Gefinn was waiting for her in her circle of stones. "You have decided," she said to Ginny as she entered the chamber.



"I have."



"And you willingly choose to give up your memories in exchange for the spell."



"I do."



"Excellent." Gefinn smiled broadly. "Approach."



Ginny obeyed, and the goddess stretched her hands out over Ginny's head, bringing them down to settle on Ginny's brow. Gefinn opened her mouth to speak.



"Wait!"



Ginny whirled around. "Viktor, what are you doing here?" she asked, irritated that he should interrupt them.



"I've come to stop you."


"Stop me? It's not your place to stop me! I've chosen to do this…"



"Just hear me out, Ginny. You shouldn't have to give up your memories."



"I haven't got any other choice," Ginny replied enunciating each word carefully. "I told you that last night."



"You may have another choice. Doesn't she?"



Ginny's heart began to pound as Viktor addressed Gefinn, who was watching Viktor with keen interest. How could he have known about the other option? She wanted to shout out her objections, but her mouth seemed to have quit working.



"If you have another suggestion, I'm willing to listen," said Gefinn. "What would you offer me in place of this girl's memories?"



"She offered you her talent yesterday, and you refused it."



"I did. She isn't going to miss it when it's gone. It's of little value to her."



"I've got a talent, as well. I can look into people's souls and see what sort of person they are. I offer it to you in place of Ginny's memories."



"Why would you give up something like this for her?"



Ginny knew the answer to that question now, and she knew Gefinn also had to know. The goddess was only trying to get Viktor to say it out loud. Her purpose was now clear. She wanted to humiliate him.



But Viktor must have been onto her intentions. He raised his head slightly and looked her in the eye. "Because I know the person she wants to do this for, and I know that there is no one else more worthy of getting his powers back than Harry Potter."



"Oh, now isn't that admirable of you," crowed Gefinn. "How noble. Now tell me the real reason."



"You already know the answer to that, because I can see enough of you to know that you don't really need my gift. You already possess it. But you want it. You want it because I'm mortal, and you don't think a mere mortal should possess a talent such as this. You think it should be reserved for the gods. Now if you need me to voice my reasons aloud, perhaps you don't need my talent after all."



Gefinn's eyes glittered menacingly for a moment, but the outrage Ginny expected did not materialise. "I will take your gift," she said calmly. "In exchange for the spell this girl wants, I will accept it. And for your insolence to me, I will take her gift as well."



Without warning, she placed her hands on Ginny's head. It felt as if cold iron bands were crushing her head, and the pain caused stars to swim before her eyes. Her knees went weak, but she was obliged to remain standing, as the goddess maintained her grip on Ginny's head. She cried out as she felt some fundamental part of her detach itself and flow out through her temples where Gefinn had placed her hands.



It took a while for the pain to subside, but even then the goddess did not release Ginny. Blackness threatened to overwhelm her, and she swayed on the spot, still held up by the goddess' hands on her head. She fought to remain conscious. Somewhere in the recesses of her mind the goddess' voice echoed in some unfamiliar language. It was the spell. It was being placed in her brain. But along with it came the certain knowledge that there would be a time limit. She would have until the sun set to perform this spell on Harry, or their gifts would be forever forfeit.



Gefinn released her at last, and Ginny collapsed onto the floor, no longer able to support herself. She thought she heard Viktor calling out to her, but she didn't have the strength to react. She lay there panting, a dull ache still throbbing in her temples, while she was dimly aware of the goddess moving towards Viktor.



All was silent for a long moment, and then Gefinn's voice rang through the chamber. "It is done." And then all went quiet again.



Ginny lay on the ground unable to move, but knowing at the same time that she had to. She had until sundown to get to Harry and perform the spell. At last she stirred. She heard a rustling. Viktor was crawling over to her.



"Are you all right?" he whispered to her.



She swallowed. "I think so."



More rustling told her he was getting to his feet. The spots were still swimming in front of her eyes, and she couldn't see what was happening. "Can you get up?" he asked.



"I have to. I have to get to Harry."



"Come on."



She felt his hand on her shoulder, creeping underneath her back, trying to lift her. She struggled to her feet. "I'll walk," she insisted.



But walking was an ordeal. In the end, Viktor had to help her out into the blazing sunlight. The spots lifted from her eyes and she could see. The sun was much higher than she expected. Glancing at her watch in panic, she saw that they'd been in the cave for two hours.



"Come lie down," Viktor was saying. "You need to rest. We both do."



He tugged on her hand trying to steer her in the direction of the tent. She gathered her last remaining strength and wrenched her hand free. Reaching into her pocket, she pulled out her wand and the sprig of holly. Before Viktor could stop her, she'd activated it, and she felt the jerk behind her navel, which sent her hurtling through space.



She landed in a heap in the middle of the street. Looking around her, bleary-eyed, she saw that by some stroke of luck she'd ended up in front of the Ministry of Magic. It was a struggle to get to her feet, and she was glad that there didn't seem to be a lot of people about. Glancing at her watch, it seemed odd that the street was so empty. It was about nine in the morning. Diagon Alley ought to be full of witches and wizards running errands at this time of day. Unless it was Sunday.



She staggered over to the Ministry steps, where she leaned against the railing while she tried to reckon what day it was, but it was impossible. She knew she'd left Scotland on the twenty-seventh of December, and that she'd left Durmstrang on the third of January, but after that she'd lost track of the days. The first meeting with Gefinn had to have been on the third, but then she'd made the gem and she had no clear recollection of how many days that had taken her. She was just going to have to cross her fingers and hope Harry was working today or see if there was anyone at the Ministry who could help her. Failing that, she was facing a hike up to the Leaky Cauldron at the other end of Diagon Alley so she could Floo home. That was going to require more energy than she thought she possessed at the moment.



She took a deep breath and began to climb the steps to the Ministry. Once inside she had to make her way through the passages until she came to Harry's office. She was glad she'd already found her way here once, as the place seemed rather empty. Her heart sank. It must be Sunday.



Ginny twisted the handle of the door, half-expecting it to be locked, but it turned. She let out a breath. Perhaps things were going to work out her way after all. The room was empty, except for Mrs Mutt, who was sitting at her desk, her grey head bent over a file. The older woman looked up, having heard Ginny come in, and her expression hardened.



"You're going to have to come back during regular office hours," Mrs Mutt said to Ginny, as if she'd never seen her before. "Someone will be here to take care of you then."



"Regular office hours?"



"Yes. It's only eight in the morning. There are no appointments until nine at the earliest."



Eight? Her watch was still on European time, Ginny realised. But did that mean she had until sunset here, or sunset in Denmark to perform the spell? She had no idea, but decided not to take any chances. She did a rapid calculation in her head. She had about seven hours to track down Harry. If he was coming in to work later, it would be easy enough for her to wait.

Mrs Mutt was staring at her with distaste. "Would it be all right if I waited?" Ginny asked, wondering what she could have done to deserve this reception.



"Who have you got an appointment with?" the older woman asked sharply.



"Nobody. I just thought I could see Harry before he started work. Please, it's very important."



Mrs Mutt got up and came over to the counter. Her eyes were glittering with fury. "Why? Wasn't it enough that you ran off and left him? Wasn't it bad enough that you broke the poor boy's heart? What, did you come back to throw some salt on the wounds?"



"What are you talking about?"



"Have you been in bed with that Bulgarian all this time that you don't even know what's happened? Been shagged so much your brain is addled? I can't even imagine where you've been. You look as if you've been sleeping in the gutter for days. Then maybe your great Quidditch star got tired of you sooner than you expected and threw you out in the street."



Ginny could only stare in disbelief. "Where's Harry?" she tried again.



"I don't have the slightest idea. He hasn't been back to work since he found out what sort of harlot you really are. So unless you've got an appointment with one of the solicitors here, you'd best be on your way. Now get out."



Ginny remained rooted to the spot, while her brain tried to process what had happened in her absence. It was like some sort of surreal nightmare. Mrs Mutt came through the swinging gate in the partition. She took Ginny firmly by the arm, her face screwing up as if she was touching something foul. Her grip was surprisingly strong for such a frail-looking woman.



"I said, get out."



She was steering Ginny imperiously towards the door, and Ginny was too shocked to do anything but allow herself to be escorted out. It wasn't long before she found herself alone in the corridor. She slumped against the wall, blinking back tears.



What had just happened in there? Mrs Mutt obviously knew that she'd been off with Viktor Krum somehow, but why did the older woman have the impression that Ginny had run off with him? And she'd said Harry hadn't been in to work since he'd found out. But when had that been? How long had he been gone? And how could he possibly have misinterpreted her letter to think that she'd left him for Viktor?



Bile rose in her throat, but she fought it back down. Something had gone horribly wrong -- that much was clear -- but the only way to fix it would be to track down Harry and explain. Explain and restore his powers. But she didn't know where he was. Suddenly seven hours didn't seem like much time at all.



The Burrow. She had to get there as soon as possible. If Harry hadn't been going in to work, then he must be at home. It was too early in the morning for her father to be in his office yet. She'd have no choice but to go to the opposite end of Diagon Alley and Floo from the Leaky Cauldron.



She lurched forward through corridors, hurrying along as best she could. A few people turned to stare at her dirty and dishevelled appearance, causing Ginny to quicken her pace. Before she left the building, she paused to pull the hood of her cloak over her head. Her hair stood out far too much, and after the reception she'd received from Mrs Mutt, she didn't want anyone else to recognise her.



Once out in the street, she put her head down and began to walk fast, but fatigue and lack of food had made her legs go rubbery, and she tripped over a cobblestone, running headlong into a middle-aged wizard. "Watch where you're going!" he snapped at her.



"Sorry," she whispered.



As he strode away, she heard him muttering something about what a disgrace the younger generation was under his breath. Ginny continued along the street, weaving slightly on tired legs, and overhearing several comments on young drunks in passing. They didn't make her any more confident about how she'd be received at the Leaky Cauldron.



She entered the courtyard cautiously. At this early hour there shouldn't be many patrons in the pub, at least. Peeking through the door into the pub, she saw Tom was busy taking upended chairs off of the tables, as he prepared for the day's business. She waited until he'd left the room again before padding quickly over to the fireplace and reaching for the jar, which stood on the mantle. It contained Floo powder, as she'd hoped. Fighting back a wave of guilt at taking a pinch of Tom's power, she threw it into the grate, stepped into the flames, and cried, "The Burrow!"



A few moments later, she landed in a heap in the kitchen. She barely had time to register her mother's presence, when the older woman let out a piercing cry. "Ginny!"



Ginny had almost made it to her feet when her mother caught her up in a tight hug. "Oh my goodness!" her mother wailed. "Ginny, where have you been? I've been so worried. You're filthy. What happened to your cloak? Did he hurt you? If he thinks he can get away with this… WHY DIDN'T YOU OWL AND LET US KNOW WHERE YOU WERE?"



Her mother had pulled back from her and was looking Ginny up and down with snapping eyes. "Owl… I…"



"I can't believe how inconsiderate," her mother went on as if Ginny hadn't even spoken. "How could you worry your father and me like that? Are you drunk? What have you been doing to get into such a state? I've never, in all my born years…"



"MUM! Shut up! I need to see Harry. Now. Where is he?"



Ginny was swaying in place and couldn't go on. Her mother gripped her around the waist and helped her to a seat at the kitchen table. "What has that boy put you through?" she asked. Ginny opened her mouth to respond, but her mother shook her head. "Not another word out of you until you've had something to eat."



"But Mum…" she protested.



"No buts. You're practically falling over. First you eat, then you're going to tell me where you've been." Her mother went over to the cooker, where the remains of a pot of porridge still sat, keeping warm. In no time a bowl full had been placed in front of her. Ginny began to eat mechanically.



"Now eat," said her mother, when she'd returned with a mug full of hot chocolate, which she placed in front of her daughter. "And then you can tell me what's going on. I want to know what possessed you to go off like that with no word. If I hadn't gone to Hogwarts…"



"Word?" Ginny cut across her mother. "Mum, I sent you an owl. Didn't Harry get my owl? Where is he? Upstairs?"



"Harry's not here."



Ginny was on her feet in an instant. "Where is he then? I've got to get to him. I've got…" She'd stood up too quickly. Her head was swimming. Without warning everything went black.



The next thing Ginny knew she was lying on the sofa in the living room, a damp cloth draped over her forehead. She closed her eyes and tried to collect her scattered thoughts. There was something she needed to do. Something important. Harry. That was it. She had to get to Harry. She moved to sit up, but the room pitched strangely, and she thought it might be a good idea to wait before trying to stand.



"You're not going anywhere for a good, long time," her mother's voice came from the general direction of the kitchen. Turning, Ginny saw her standing in the doorway holding a large wooden spoon. There was a strong fishy odour in the house now.



"What time is it?" Ginny asked.



"Almost eleven."


"What?" To hell with fainting; she had to get out of here.



"Just stay where you are. Do you want to pass out again?"



"You don't understand, Mum. I've got to get to Harry now!"



Her mother was shaking her head sadly. "Harry's not going anywhere. At least I don't think he is. You can see him tomorrow. I don't know what you've been through but you need rest. Don't try to leave."



Ginny wasn't listening. She got to her feet, fumbling in her pocket for her wand. If she had to, she'd hex her mother to get out of here. Her mother must have read her thoughts. "I've already taken your wand, and I've closed off the Floo. You're not going anywhere until you're stronger."



Ginny now knew what the source of the smell was. It was her mother's special restorative draught. She shuddered.



"But I've got a time limit to do this! I can't explain now! I've got to get to him!"



She wavered where she stood, her vision beginning to blacken once again. Ginny's mother came made her sit down on the sofa again, taking a place beside her. "You're not going anywhere until you've explained some things. First, where did you go and why?"



Ginny proceeded to give her mother a rapid account of how she and Hermione had spent the previous autumn trying in vain to find a way to restore Harry's powers. She went on to mention they'd contacted Viktor, with whom she'd corresponded, until he mentioned a possibility. She told of her trip to Durmstrang of how they'd gone on to Denmark, where they'd summoned Gefinn, and obtained a cure.



"But she said I had till sundown to perform the spell, and I have to get to Harry," she finished.



"You've got hours before sunset."



"Not sunset here. Sunset in Denmark. Or at least I think so. I don't know anymore. But this is too important to take chances with." She paused for breath. "I went in to the Ministry and he wasn't there. The woman I talked to told me he hadn't been in for a while. Where is he if he's not here and he hasn't been in to work?"



Her mother took a deep breath. "There's something I have to tell you, and it's not good," she said quietly. "A few days after you left, there was a terrible article in some rag. It was written by Rita Skeeter. It told everyone how Harry lost his powers using a Dark Arts spell to defeat You-Know-Who."



Ginny's jaw dropped in disbelief. "Oh no…"



"That's not all. There was an incriminating picture of you and Viktor Krum in some pub, and it said in the article that you'd left Harry. Viktor, he didn't… I mean the two of you haven't…"



Ginny felt as if she'd been hit in the stomach with a Bludger, but she understood Mrs Mutt's reaction to her now. "MUM! NO, never! He was a perfect gentleman the entire time! How could you even ask such a thing?"


"I just had to make sure. You didn't see the picture…"



"Do you have it?"



"No, it's long gone. Thrown out in the rubbish as it should be. It wasn't even fit to line Errol's cage." Her mother paused for a moment. "You need to know that I never believed it of you either. I heard what you said to Harry. It would have been the evening before you left. You were sitting in here with him. I looked into the kitchen and saw you. I think Harry had fallen asleep against your shoulder, and I heard what you said to him as he slept. I know how much you love him and how much he loves you. I could see that in the picture you gave him. I knew you couldn't have run off with someone else. Not willingly, at any rate.



"When the article came out, I didn't want to believe that picture could even be true. I went up to Hogwarts to see for myself that you were there, but you weren't. I talked to Professor McGonagall, and she told me you'd never come back, that you were supposed to be at home for the rest of the holidays. I panicked then, but we were in her office, and a very strange thing happened. Professor Dumbledore's portrait spoke to us. It told us you'd gone to try to help Harry and that we should trust you."



"Professor Dumbledore helped me. When I'd got behind in my work, he talked to me, and he helped me plan this. He knew where I was going. But what about Harry? Why did he leave?"



"It was the article. It didn't portray you and Viktor in a very flattering light. He thinks you've left him. That you…"



"That I what?"



"That you don't love him. That you only stayed out of pity. That you lied to him. I won't hide it from you. He's not doing well at all right now. Sirius practically has him under house arrest."



"He's with Sirius?"



"Yes."



That much was a relief. "You said you went to Hogwarts. You talked to Dumbledore. Did you tell Harry that?"



"I tried to tell him." Ginny's mother wiped at the corners of her eyes. "He didn't want to hear what I had to say. Perhaps it was too soon. It was the day the article came out. I haven't spoken to him since. Remus and Sirius have been giving me news, but he's not speaking to them, either."



Ginny got to her feet. "I've got to get to him…"



"You're not going anywhere, young lady."



"Haven't you heard a word I've said? I don't have much time."



"You have plenty of time. You still have several hours. I'll let you go, but not before you've washed and changed, and the restorative isn't ready yet. You're not leaving this house until you take some."



Ginny pulled a face. She'd had to take the noxious mess on several occasions when she was younger. "Urgh."



"I suppose you'd rather pass out again in the middle of the Floo network."



"I'm just as likely to throw it all back up."



"I'll charm it to stay down. Now go get washed. Look at you. Look at your beautiful cloak. When is the last time you had a bath?"



Ginny couldn't really answer that question. She hadn't been anywhere she could wash properly since she'd left Durmstrang. It hadn't exactly been the right time of year to bathe in the lake.



"Come on," her mother went on. "I'll help you up the stairs. Did you leave any clothes in your room?"



"Only my summer things." Ginny's mother was helping her up. Normally she would have protested that she could make it on her own, but she felt strangely weak.



"All right. I'll find you something to wear and charm it to stay warm. And I think I can dig up one of Percy's old jumpers. That should keep you warm. Come on, up we go."



They made their way up to the bathroom off the first landing. Ginny's mother took her cloak from her, clucking over its state. Ginny had to sigh. It was hard to tell what colour it was. The silvery fur around the collar was now a dull grey.



It was a great relief to peel off the clothes she'd been wearing for days and leave them in a grimy heap on the floor. The hot water felt wonderful steaming over her tired bones. She simply stood for a long while, leaning against the wall for support, letting the spray do its job, before finally reaching for the shampoo.



At length, she got out and wrapped herself in a towel. She left her clothes where they were, suspecting her mother wouldn't even try to salvage them. Once in her room, she rummaged under her bed for a box of old clothes that was stored there. Perhaps she'd find something that still fit her. She pulled on the first pair of jeans she came to and was surprised to find she could pull them over her hips. Looking down, she could see several inches of ankle protruding from the bottom. Pulling a T-shirt over her head, she turned to find her mother had come back, a light blue sweater in her hand.



The older woman's jaw dropped. "Ginny, how old are those trousers?"



Ginny shrugged. "A few years, I guess. Why?"



"My goodness, when is the last time you had a decent meal? Look at you. You've wasted away to nothing!"



"I've been eating," Ginny said defensively.



"How can you say that? You haven't worn those trousers since you were thirteen! When you get back downstairs, you're going to have a good lunch. And then you're going to have a double dose of restorative potion!" She stalked off, and Ginny could hear her muttering something about grown children not even having enough sense to eat regular meals.



The hands on Ginny's watch were slowly creeping down towards half past one by the time she'd swallowed two full measures of her mother's vile concoction. Her stomach heaved in protest. It was already full of hearty vegetable soup and home-made bread that her mother had insisted she eat.



Now Ginny only had to find room for a glass of pumpkin juice. She wasn't particularly thirsty for it, but she needed something to get the fishy taste of the potion out of her mouth. She drank the orange liquid down and looked at her mother in triumph.



"Do you want me to come with you, dear?"



"No, that's all right, Mum. I have no idea how long this is going to take. If everything goes well, I'll try to convince Harry to come home with me."



In reality, Ginny didn't think performing the actual spell would take any time at all. She only hoped to get some time alone with Harry once she was done, and she didn't particularly want her mother around for that.



Her mother gave her a piercing look. "I don't want you tiring yourself out. You've been through a lot in the past few weeks. I want you and Harry to come straight home and have a good supper. And you're going to bed early tonight. And tomorrow we'll see about getting you back to school."



Ginny didn't bother to argue with her mother. She just wanted to be off. She only had a bit more than an hour and a half before her time ran out, and all her efforts came to nothing. She waited while her mother opened up the Floo again and handed her wand back to her.



Just as Ginny was about to step towards the fireplace, her mother pulled her into an impulsive hug. "Bring him back to us," she whispered.



*



Harry opened his eyes to a dim half-light. It was daylight outside; he knew that much. It was also very likely afternoon, since he hadn't gone to sleep until the wee hours of the morning.



He lay for a moment, wondering whether he should open his blinds today. Maybe the sun was shining out there. Maybe he should go outside and get some fresh air. Or maybe he'd wait until tomorrow.



He lay a while longer to see if he'd drop back off to sleep. The more time he spent sleeping, the longer he didn't have to think about… things. When he'd stared at the iron grey ceiling for a while, listening to the silence, and nothing happened, he realised he was going to have to get up.



Swearing to himself, he swung his legs over the side of the bed and sat up. He ran his nails over his itchy scalp, knowing it would make his hair stand on end, and not really caring. From the sound of things, he was alone in the house. Good. It meant he could risk venturing out of his room without anyone hovering.



He grabbed a pair of clean boxers and headed for the shower. Several minutes later, he dried himself off and ran a comb through his hair to make it lie flat, knowing the effort was largely pointless. He avoided looking at his reflection; he knew what the mirror would show him: a pasty-faced, overly thin, unshaven young man.



Clad only in his boxers, he padded to the empty kitchen next, trying to decide if he felt like making himself eat something. The clock above the sink read half past one. He opened the refrigerator and pulled out the orange juice, twisting off the cap, raising it to his mouth and taking a swig directly from the bottle as he considered his choices. He opened a plastic container and discovered something that looked as if it was ready to grow legs and walk off on its own. He wrinkled his nose and put it back. Perhaps just some toast then. He reached for the butter.



A crash from the fireplace behind him nearly made him drop the orange juice bottle. Turning, his heart leapt into his throat at the sight of a familiar shock of red hair. Ginny raised her head, brown eyes meeting green, as she remained sprawled on the floor for a moment.



Harry took an involuntary step backward. Her face was streaked with soot, but it wasn't enough to hide the circles under her eyes. He'd only seen her looking this tired once before, and that had been just over a year ago.



She stood shakily, and he noticed immediately that she was even thinner than she'd been at Christmas. What had that Bulgarian bastard done to her?



"Harry!" She was smiling broadly through her fatigue. "Thank God you're here."



He couldn't reply to her. Something had frozen within him. She was rushing towards him, and all he could think about was getting away. He set the orange juice on the counter, and turned a chair over to impede her progress.



"Harry, what are you doing? I've come to help you!"



Without a word to her, he turned and walked out of the kitchen. Back in his room, he cursed Sirius for breaking the lock on his door. He knew Ginny, and he knew she would follow him. Even if there had been a lock on the door, she would have kept trying until she found a way to get to him.



She didn't even bother to knock. The door swung open, and there she was. She was talking to him, trying to get a response out of him. Part of his mind registered and understood this much, but he didn't want to process her words, couldn't bear to. She was there, in front of him, coming closer.



She reached out and laid a hand on his arm. He jerked away from her touch, but he could still feel the imprint on his skin. It burned him. In stony silence, he picked up a wrinkled shirt and a pair of trousers from off the floor and put them on. Then he walked out on her again.



He couldn't deal with this now. Her touch could still affect him, and he could no longer afford to allow that to happen. Whatever her reasons for coming over here, they couldn't be good. If he kept repeating that idea to himself often enough, perhaps he'd end up believing it.



She'd followed him into the living room, still jabbering away at him, but he didn't want to hear it. His trainers were lying haphazardly on the floor beside an armchair, and he sat for a moment to yank them on. Ginny came and stood in front of him, while he tied the laces. Something about him not walking out on her penetrated his brain. He'd show her. He'd walk out if he bloody well wanted to.



He stood up and pushed roughly past her as he headed for the front door. Once he was outside he'd have peace. She followed practically on his heels. She wasn't going to let him get away with this. Whatever it took, she wouldn't give up until he listened to her. He'd damned well better listen soon, because there wasn't much time left.



Time for what? He stole a glance into the kitchen. It was a quarter to two. Whatever it was, he didn't much care.



He reached for the front door knob and turned it. It didn't budge. He did say something out loud then. He cursed Sirius for his hard-headedness.



"Oh, so you've finally decided you can talk, can you?" Ginny had crossed her arms over her chest and was looking at him from beneath one raised eyebrow. She did not look pleased with him at all. "Are you going to tell me what the problem is, or are you going to keep being a baby about it?"



"What the problem is?" Harry shouted. "You want me to tell you what the problem is? You LIED to me! Isn't that enough? You said you loved me when you don't! You LEFT me! Are you happy? Are you happy with… with…" Harry couldn't even bear to say the name. "… with HIM?"



Ginny's eyes were brilliant with tears, but there was something else glittering there as well. Was it anger, determination, or the two combined? "Is that what you think of me?" she asked, as the first tear slipped down her cheek. "After all we've been through together, you see one picture and think I'm a whore?"



That one word stuck Harry like a blow.



"I've loved you for so long," she went on. "Do you think I'd throw that all away and leave you after I'd agreed to marry you? Do you think so little of me? I know what's been said about me. I know what others think. But I never thought you'd desert me. I always thought we'd be there for each other no matter what happened."



She paused and wiped at her eyes. Harry stood rooted to the spot. He had no idea what he could possibly say to her. "I'm sorry you feel that way," she continued after a moment. "I'll tell you why I'm here, I'll do what I came for, and then I'll go. You won't have to see me again."



Harry finally found his voice. "What do you mean? What have you come to do?"



"I've got a spell that's supposed to restore your powers."



"What? What are you talking about? Remus told us there was nothing we could do about it."



"He was wrong. I went in search of a spell for you, and I didn't give up until I found one."



Harry was having a great deal of difficulty bending his mind around the idea. "Why?"



"Why? WHY? How can you even ask that? Because I love you, you stupid idiot! You're unhappy without your powers! I wanted to give that back to you!"



"But… but you left me."



Ginny looked away long enough to make Harry suspect she was counting to ten. "No," she said patiently, "I didn't leave you. I went to find a cure."



"But you were with Viktor. I saw the picture."



"Viktor was helping me. He told me there was a way when Hermione and I had all but given up."



Harry felt the blood drain out of his face. "Yeah, I'll just bet he helped you. What did you have to do?"



She had to have understood what he was implying from his tone, but she deliberately chose to misinterpret what he was asking. "To get the spell? I gave up my talent. I'm no longer a Jewel-wright."



"Wait a minute. You expect me to believe that you gave up your talent to Viktor Krum in order to get a spell from him that would restore my powers? That just doesn't add up."



"Of course it doesn't," she snapped. "He didn't give me the spell."



"Then where did you get it and why was he there?"



"I told you why he was there. He was helping me."



She looked like she wanted to say more, but she suddenly swayed in place, and her eyes rolled back in her head for a moment. Harry put out a hand to steady her. "Are you all right?"



It seemed to take her a moment to compose herself. "Well, no. I could use a drink, actually."

"Come on, then."



He took her back into the kitchen, sitting her down at the table, while he searched for a glass in the cupboards. He poured her a glass of orange juice, and watched her take a few sips. Then he took a seat at the table with her.



"Okay. Start from the beginning. Tell me everything that's happened since you left."



"Actually it all started at the end of last summer, when Hermione asked me to help her search the library for a cure."



She went on to explain how they both had looked through the entire library. Her story matched what Hermione had told him and surmised when she'd come by the other day. Then Ginny continued to tell of her journey to Durmstrang, the research and planning she'd done there, and her trip to Denmark with Viktor, where they'd met a goddess, who'd given Ginny the spell.



"How did you find out about this goddess?" Harry asked when she'd finished.



"She's mentioned in our History of Magic text. Don't you remember?"



"No. I slept through those lessons."



"So did I, but she came up in my homework last summer. And there was more about her in Durmstrang. It makes sense that there would be. She's a Norse goddess, and Durmstrang is in Sweden."



"And why did you think she'd just grant what you asked her?"



"Because that's just what she is. Her name means 'giver' and she's a goddess of healing. So we decided it was worth trying to appeal to her."



"But why did Viktor Krum have to go there with you?"



"He was helping me."



"You keep saying that, but why?"



Ginny rolled her eyes at him. "We had to travel to Denmark," she said as if this should be completely obvious. "I can't Apparate, and I don't know how to make a Portkey."



"No, I mean why was he even helping you in the first place? What was he getting out of the deal?"



"Nothing. He just wanted to help."



"I didn't realise the two of you were that close."



"He admires you."



"Oh, of course he does."



"It's the truth. He told me so himself!"



"So where did you sleep?"



"We had a tent with us, and there was a blanket rigged up as a wall between us."



"You slept in a tent the whole time you were gone?"



"I had my own room at Durmstrang. Harry, you're being stupid about this. He didn't touch me. I wouldn't have let him."



"I can't believe he didn't try."



"He didn't."



"Come on, Ginny. Look at you. Why wouldn't he want…"



"He never laid a hand on me," she insisted. "If he'd have tried something I would have left just as soon as I'd hexed him in the worst way I could think of."



Harry decided he had no choice but to believe her, but in the back of his mind, he knew that Viktor had to have at least been thinking impure thoughts about Ginny. He changed tack. "What happened when you met the goddess?"



"She made me bargain with her, but in the end she agreed to give me the means to restore your powers. Didn't I tell you this already?"



She might have, but Harry couldn't remember now. "Tell me again."



She glared at him. "I've just been over all this with you! Did you at least pick up on the fact that I have a time limit? I'm running out of time. Just let me do what I've come to do and I'll go."



"NO! No, don't go."



"You obviously don't want me around. Why should I stay?"



"No, that's not true… don't…"



She was speaking over him. "You don't want me here. You think I left you for someone else."



He had to keep her here for as long as possible. He couldn't let her do the spell if she was going to leave him again once it was over. "Tell me about the bargain."



She let out a short, impatient burst of air. "I tried to give her my talent."



"Tried? But you said you had given her your talent."



"She had me make a jewel, but she could look into me. She knew how I felt about having that talent. She knew I didn't want it. So in the end she refused it. She took the jewel, but she said giving her my talent was an unacceptable sacrifice."



"But in the end, that's what she took."



"She asked for something else first." Ginny's voice had gone quiet, and she looked down at her hands, which were in her lap.



Harry suspected it was something big. "What? What did she ask of you?"



"All my memories of you." It had come out in a whisper, and he had to strain to hear her. "But I'm not giving them up," she added more firmly. "I was ready to do it. It would have been like giving up part of my soul, but I would have done it. I thought our love was deep enough that I could fall in love with you all over again."



"But how did it work out that you only gave her your talent instead?"



"Viktor stopped me. He convinced Gefinn to take both our talents, and she accepted."


Viktor again. "Oh, of course he would," Harry snorted. "Why would he do that, Ginny?"



"Because he thought you were worth it, Harry. In honour of your sacrifice for the whole wizarding world."



Harry's jaw dropped, and he had no idea what to say to this.



"Listen, Harry," she said, getting to her feet. "Please let me do this spell, and then I'll be on my way. I haven't got a lot of time left."



"Will it hurt you?"



"It can't."



"Are you sure?"



"It's already hurt me."



"How? What are you talking about?"



"When she took my talent, she took part of me. It hurt."



She'd said the words quietly, but Harry felt as if it had hurt her far more than she let on. She looked so frail, standing there, the sunlight streaming in through the window casting a sort of halo around her. "I don't want you to do this. What if it hurts you more?"



"If we wait too long it'll be too late, and I still will have given up my talent for nothing. And think of Viktor."



"Let's at least wait for Remus to come back. I'm sure he'll know more about this."



"Harry, I have to do it soon, before it all goes to waste. Do you know when he'll be back?"



Harry was forced to admit that he didn't.



"I have half an hour. If I don't do it by then it's all wasted. Both my sacrifice and Viktor's."



There was still something he didn't like about all this. "But…"



"Please. Let me do this one last thing for you."



Harry stood and faced her. She was beautiful, sooty face and all. How could he ever have doubted her love? He still couldn't fathom what he'd done to be worthy of her or what made her love him. He thought he'd be working that out for the rest of his life.



He did know one thing, though. Once she had cast this spell, whether it worked or not, he wasn't going to let her leave. He was going to keep her here with him for a good, long time. He was going to pick her up in his arms, carry her into his room, and he wasn't going to let her out again until tomorrow morning. He was going to spend the rest of the night discovering her and telling her through his words and actions that he never wanted her to leave him again.



"All right," he replied. "I'm ready."



She raised her wand.



"Wait," he said. "Don't you have to be touching me at all?"



Ginny closed her eyes for a moment and concentrated. Harry had the impression she was searching her memory. "No, I don't think so."



"Hold my hand."



"All right."



She reached across with her left hand and captured his. Their fingers enlaced. Then she closed her eyes again and concentrated. When she opened her mouth to speak, her voice was not her own. It was deeper, and echoed from her mouth, speaking words in some strange tongue that Harry had never heard before.



For a long moment, nothing happened, although he could feel Ginny's hand gripping his more and more tightly. Suddenly her hand clenched his convulsively, making his knuckles feel as if they were grinding together. He bit back a yelp of pain. At the same time an enormous burst of white light rocketed from the tip of Ginny's wand. Harry was unable to keep his eyes open against it, it was so brilliantly white.



Harry waited, hoping, praying to feel anything different. Nothing happened. Instead, there was a noise like a small explosion, and the light went out. Ginny was still gripping his hand painfully.



He opened his eyes even as she let go and fell forward into him. He tried to catch her, but he was too shocked to do anything more than to help her slip more gently onto the floor. He sunk down and eased her onto her back, while he tried to calm the bewildering whirl of his thoughts and make sense of what had just happened.



Her eyes were open and staring, containing a terrifying mixture of pain and confusion. A single tear leaked out of the corner of one of them, slowly trailing into her hair. Her wand stuck up stiffly in her still-outstretched right hand. It was completely blasted.



Harry's heart was in this throat, and he fought with himself not to be ill. Something had just gone horribly, horribly wrong. Suddenly the image from his nightmares came crashing over him. There was no blood, Ginny's expression held no mockery, but this was just too eerily similar.



Harry opened his mouth, but no words came out. There was nothing but a gut-wrenching scream, as he fell upon her.



To Be Continued…



A/N: Yes, I know, I'm evil with the cliffies. The good news is, chapter 23 ought to be posted next week.



A reviewer asked me about Mrs Mutt's favourite word. I can't say what it is without affecting my rating on certain sites. Let's just say it's a combination of a certain word beginning with F followed by -wit.



Thanks to everyone who reviewed, and to Ami and Jo for the beta.