Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Long Road Home by Ashwinder

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

The Long Road Home, Chapter Twenty Seven


"You're late."


Harry stared at Ginny for a moment in panic, trying to ascertain her mood. He knew very well he was late, but that wasn't entirely his fault. Judging by the tone of her voice and the look in her eyes, she wasn't so much put out with him, as she was scared. He wasn't sure he blamed her. He felt rather scared himself.


"I'm sorry about that. I got up later than I planned this morning. And I had a few last minute details to take care of."


"You got up late? Did you have trouble sleeping?" From the sound of things, it had been Ginny herself who had had difficulty dropping off last night.


"No, actually. I just got to bed late…" He broke off, not wanting to have to explain the reason why, but Ginny didn't let him off the hook.


"What happened?"


"Remus and Sirius ambushed me when I came home last night."


Ginny's eyes widened in fear. "What did you tell them?"


"As little as possible, but they know about part of our plans. They, erm… Well, they suspected something was going on, and they, uh… They took it upon themselves to inspect the contents of your bag."


"They didn't! That was rude of them!"


"They didn't know it was your bag. I told them they were my things. And, well… I had to let them think we had some special plans for the evening. Which we do, of course. And then they decided they'd better have a talk with me… Do you, erm, have anything for a headache by any chance?"


Ginny raised an eyebrow at him. "Before we got through talking, we emptied a bottle of Ogden's," Harry admitted.


"You've got a hangover?"


"Just a bit. Sirius and Remus had more to drink than I did."


"Well, come on. We have to make a good show of this, anyway."


Ginny took his hand and pulled him into The Burrow's living room. Harry had felt distinctly odd about knocking at the front door, when he was used to simply appearing in the kitchen, but he didn't think that would have counted. She'd laid down some specific guidelines for the date he owed her, and he'd tried to adhere to them as well as he could.


"Mum," Ginny called out, "Harry's here."


Mrs Weasley came in from the kitchen. "Hello, dear." She greeted him with a smile, while Ginny left the room for a moment.


Harry smiled weakly at Mrs Weasley, realising that he still had the bouquet of wildflowers that he'd brought Ginny in his hand. He'd forgotten to give them to her.


"Harry dear, what lovely flowers," Mrs Weasley commented. He'd managed to get something that reminded him of the spring flowers in the fields adjoining the Weasleys' property. "And is that chocolate?" She'd spied the brightly wrapped box Harry was holding along with the flowers.


"Erm, yes," said Harry, hoping Ginny would come back quickly with the potion.


"So what were the two of you planning on doing tonight?"


"We were just going out for dinner and things."


"Things?" Mrs Weasley said, raising an eyebrow. "What sort of things?"


Harry resisted the urge to run a finger between his neck and collar. The room suddenly seemed unbearably hot. "Oh, you know, first date things." Yes, that was perfect. "Did Ginny tell you this was our first date?"


"Oh yes," Mrs Weasley replied with a chuckle. "I think it's sweet. I see you've kept up your part of the bargain."


"What… just what did Ginny tell you?"


"Oh, just that she wanted flowers and chocolate and for you to meet her parents. But I'm afraid you're stuck with me. Arthur is still at work. Unless you'd like to wait for him to come home, that is." There was a glint in Mrs Weasley's eye, and Harry couldn't escape the suspicion she was enjoying this.


"NO! Er, sorry, I mean, no, thank you, that's quite all right. I mean we've already met, haven't we? And Ginny and I have reservations at the… the…" He couldn't exactly say where they had reservations or Mrs Weasley might become even more suspicious.


"The restaurant?" Mrs Weasley supplied.


"Um, yes, that's it."


"Isn't it a bit early for supper?"


She was right; it was only half past four. "Well, we were going to do some other things first."


Harry cringed as Mrs Weasley raised her eyebrow at him again. "What things? I hope you don't mind me asking. You know Ginny will tell me all about it anyway."


Harry couldn't help looking over the older woman's shoulder, hoping to catch a glimpse of Ginny coming back with his potion. He was really beginning to need it. "I… I wanted to surprise her, so I don't really want to say."


"Oh, well isn't that intriguing? Whatever you do, I know you'll behave properly. Now I know Ginny is of age, but don't let her drink too much. I know she insists she's fine, but I don't feel she's fully recovered yet, and I don't think she'll be able to handle too much drink… Are you feeling all right, dear? You look a bit peaked."


"I'm sorry, I've got a bit of a headache." To himself he wondered for the hundredth time where Ginny had got to. Did she have to brew the damned potion herself? It wasn't so advanced it required an incantation, after all. "Ginny's getting me something for it."


"Oh dear. Well perhaps you ought to put this off to another day if you're not feeling well. I'm sure Ginny would understand."


"If it gets too bad, we'll… I'll just go to bed early. We'll call it an early evening, I mean." He could feel himself going red.


"Here, Harry…" Ginny was finally back and was thrusting a glass of potion into his hand. "You know, you look as if your headache has got worse. Mum, could you bring Harry some water?"


"Of course…"


"Now," hissed Ginny when her mother had left the room, "should I dig you out of this hole you seem to have got yourself into or should I leave you here and let Mum finish the job?"


Harry downed the potion and forced a smile onto his face. "Happy Birthday, Ginny," he said, offering her the bouquet. "Now dig me out," he added between his teeth.


"Here's your water, Harry." Mrs Weasley handed him a glass of water and waited expectantly while he drank it. "Now Ginny, if Harry isn't up to this tonight…"


"Oh please, Mum, he'll be just fine. It's his fault for staying up all night drinking with Sirius and Remus!"


Harry didn't think it was possible for him to turn any redder, but apparently he'd been wrong. Mrs Weasley's mouth dropped open while Ginny gave him a rather vengeful smile. He wondered if he knew just what he was getting into.


Ginny grabbed him by the sleeve. "Come on, Harry. You promised me a date."


"Wait a moment, Ginny," Harry got in before she could drag him off. "If this is our first date, I have to give you this."


He held out the box and watched as she tore the paper from it. "Chocolate Frogs, Harry? I said I wanted my favourite chocolates, not yours."


"I've got you something better," Harry muttered to her.


"You'd better," Ginny grated back.


"I do…"


"I'm sorry, what was that, dear?" asked Mrs Weasley.


"Nothing, Mum. Listen, can you put the flowers in water for me and put the chocolate up in my room? We've got to get going."


"Ginny, look at the poor boy. He's all red. Are you sure…"


"He'll be fine, Mum," Ginny insisted. "Believe me, he'll be fine."


"I'm fine, I really am," added Harry.


"We have to be off, Mum. I don't know when we'll be home. Don't wait up, all right?"


"Have a good time."


"Good evening, Mrs Weasley."


Harry let out his breath as soon as they got out the front door. He was reaching into his pocket for his Portkey when Ginny stopped him. "Have you got everything?"


Harry patted the pocket of his shirt. "It's all right here."


"Are you sure that's all of it?"


Harry paused and checked his trousers as well. "Yes, it's all there."


"So where are we really going?"


"Close your eyes, and you'll find out."


Ginny closed her eyes and wrapped her arms around his waist, clinging to him as he activated the Portkey and they began to whirl through space. When they'd landed Ginny looked around.


"Hogsmeade?"


"We weren't quite so lucky with the Three Broomsticks the last time, but since your brother doesn't know anything about it this time, I reckon we're safe."


Harry took her hand, and they went up the High Street to the pub. Harry had already seen the room; he'd been here several times already to store the things they were going to need there. He knew Ginny would be happy with it. Madam Rosmerta had outdone herself, he felt.


Ginny's gasp of delight when he unlocked the door and let her in told him he'd been right about her reaction. The room was much larger than he'd expected, but he'd been judging based on the room Mrs Weasley had reserved for them at Christmas. There was a table already set for a fancy, candlelit supper at one end near a fireplace, where a merry blaze already crackled on the grate. But the greater part of the room was dominated by one of the largest four poster beds Harry had ever seen. It had deep red velvet hangings and its matching damask comforter was scattered with lots of small decorative pillows.


Harry pointed out the large wardrobe in the corner. "I put your dress robes in there, if you want to change into them. There's a bathroom through that door."


Ginny smiled at him, and the sparkle in her eyes told him she was no longer put out with him for being late. She opened the wardrobe and gave a small squeal, before turning with a large bouquet of deep red roses surrounded by baby's breath and greenery in her arms.


"Oh, Harry, they're beautiful."


"There should be eighteen of them there," he said.


"Just like last year."


"Well, with one more, and have another look in the wardrobe."


"What else have you got in there?"


"Have a look. I told you I'd got you something better than Chocolate Frogs."


"Harry… where did you get these?" She'd found the box of imported chocolates now.


"Muggle London. I reckon the Muggles know a thing or two about good chocolates."


She came over to him and threw her arms around him. "It's all perfect."


"It's nothing. You're worth much, much more."


He dipped his head towards her, drawing her closer, and began to kiss her gently. But as it had the night before, reason soon fled and his need for her took over. Suddenly waiting the last few hours seemed like an impossibility. He took a step back towards the bed, and Ginny followed willingly. Another step, and then another.


Suddenly he was falling backwards. Ginny had pushed him onto the bed. He didn't mind. If they weren't going to wait any longer, that was quite all right with him.


He lay there a few moments, finally opening his eyes when he realised that Ginny should have joined him by now. "Wh-"


He was cut off as his vision was suddenly obscured by a large quantity of crimson fabric: Ginny had flung his dress robes at him.


"I have to get dressed. And you'd do well to get dressed, too. We're late as it is, and this will only make us later. If you hadn't decided to get pissed last night, we might have had time…"


By the time Harry had extricated himself from his dress robes, Ginny had disappeared into the bathroom. He sighed and put his robes on over the dress shirt and trousers he'd worn to The Burrow. Then he went over to the mirror in the wardrobe and tried vainly to make his hair lie flat. Like the day of the Winter Solstice Ball it simply refused to co-operate. He sighed again and for some reason thought of the picture of his parents' wedding day. His father's hair hadn't been any more amenable.


Harry sat back down on the bed, resisting the urge to pace. For someone who had insisted that they were late, Ginny was certainly taking her time about getting ready. Of course, he reminded himself, with her it wasn't a case of simply putting an extra set of robes on over her regular clothes. No doubt she would fuss with her hair; perhaps she'd wear it up as she had the night of the ball.


He lay back on the bed and closed his eyes as he conjured a mental picture of Ginny descending the marble staircase to the entrance hall. She'd looked so beautiful that night with her hair piled on top of her head with the random wisps curling about her face and neck. He thought about the way those curls seemed to frame her face and tickle her skin, inviting him to soothe it with his lips. The idea caused his entire body to react, and he wondered once again how he was going to manage to survive the next few hours.


He lay a while longer, trying to think of something less…stimulating, but it was difficult, when he remembered that Ginny was in the next room, changing into that dress that she looked so damned sexy in… That was it. If he couldn't stop this, he was going to die of frustration.


The door to the bathroom opened at last, and Harry wondered for a moment if looking was even a good idea at this point. He was going to have to, though, or they'd never get out of here. He sat up and opened his eyes. She looked every bit as beautiful as she had at the ball, perhaps even more so. Her hair was much more understated this time, pulled back into a sleek knot. Harry imagined she'd resorted to magic the last time to achieve the more complicated look. Or she'd had someone help her.


She looked down a bit self-consciously under Harry's scrutiny. He wondered if she was nervous. He'd thought so earlier. His own stomach felt rather fluttery. What they were about to undertake suddenly seemed intimidating to say the least.


He took a deep breath. "Are you ready?"


She looked scared for a moment, before her expression hardened into resolve. "Yes, let's go."


Harry handed Ginny her cloak. It might have been almost May, but it was definitely too chilly to go out bare-shouldered. Their fingers brushed as he passed the cloak over, and Harry had a fleeting impression of trembling. In the next second, he wondered if he'd imagined it. She put the cloak on and picked up her bouquet of roses, hiding the bright blooms beneath the rich green cashmere.


With a final check of his pockets, Harry picked up his own cloak and followed Ginny out the door of their room. It was Friday evening, and the common room of the inn was fairly busy. Madam Rosmerta was occupied at the bar, and they were able to slip out undetected.


"What time were we supposed to be there?" Ginny asked once they had reached the street.


"Five," replied Harry. "We're not that late… I don't think it should be a problem."


Harry took her hand and they ducked around the corner of the Three Broomsticks, heading down the narrow way between the inn and the neighbouring building. There were puddles in the alley, a testament to the rain that had fallen at some point during the day, and they had to step carefully to avoid soiling their robes. The sun had come out and was shining now as it descended towards the hilly western horizon.


They came out from between the buildings, a fence which surrounded the back of the Three Broomsticks' lot on their right. The alley tuned into a narrow path beyond the fence, a path which led to a small cottage set away from the rest of the village. It was old and rather unkempt, and there was laundry flapping in the breeze behind the house. Harry reddened and looked away, as he realised he was seeing a lot of women's undergarments on the clothesline, but his brain had time to register a flowered night dress that was somehow familiar to him. He shook his head to clear it. It had to be nerves…


Harry went up to the front door and knocked. It was opened presently by an elderly woman, whose blue eyes twinkled kindly at him as she smiled in greeting. "Good evening. Come in, we've been expecting you."


"Sorry, we're a bit late," Harry apologised.


"Think nothing of it, my boy. It's perfectly understandable. I'm Mrs Gale. Mr Gale is waiting for you in the lounge. May I take your cloaks?"


They handed their cloaks to the woman, and then Harry took a firmer hold of Ginny's hand and followed Mrs Gale into the lounge. He barely noticed Mrs Mutt and Badon Hill sitting in armchairs waiting for him. His eyes were riveted on Mr Gale. Now he knew where he'd seen that flowered night dress before… He was overcome by a sudden, uncontrollable fit of laughter, and his shoulders began to shake noticeably as he tried to suppress it.


Introductions were being made; Mrs Mutt and Hill were saying hello, and Harry knew that common courtesy dictated that he reply, but he couldn't at the moment. He was too afraid to open his mouth lest a bark of laughter escape. He could feel his cheeks heating. His breath came out in a burst as Ginny's elbow struck his ribs.


Vaguely, he registered her saying, "Excuse us," to the rest of the room, before she grabbed his hand and dragged him forcibly into the entry hall.


"Just what do you think you're doing?" she hissed at him, her brown eyes flashing dangerously.


Harry took a deep breath and tried to bring his voice under control. "I'm sorry, Ginny. It's just… Just…" Laughter was threatening once again.


Ginny crossed her arms and looked expectant. "Listen, if you're not going to take this seriously, we can forget the whole thing, and you can take me back home."


Harry immediately sobered. "Do you know who that is?"


"It's Mr Gale," Ginny said evenly. "But really…"


"No, it's Archie." Harry had to fight to keep his voice from carrying into the lounge.


"Archie?"


"Do you remember the Quidditch World Cup?"


"Of course I do, but what has that got…"


"Did Ron ever tell you what happened when he, Hermione and I went for water to make tea?"


Ginny thought for a moment. "No, I don't think he ever did."


"Well, we were waiting in the queue for our turn at the tap, and there was this older bloke wearing a night dress. A wizard from the Ministry was trying to convince him to put on some trousers, but he refused. He said it was because he liked a healthy breeze about his privates." Harry had dropped his voice to the barest of whispers.


Ginny's eyes went round. "He didn't! And that's him in there?"


Harry nodded, and Ginny's own shoulders began to shake. "How… how…" But she couldn't go on.


"I had no idea. Honestly, I didn't. Now that I think about it, the Ministry wizard was awfully familiar with him, but I had no idea we'd be seeing him today. All Mrs Mutt would tell me is there was a retired wizard from the Department of Magical Catastrophes who lived in Hogsmeade, and who was qualified…"


Ginny raised an eyebrow at him. "Department of Magical Catastrophes?"


"I know… Look if this is too… bizarre, we can cancel."


"Oh no you don't, Harry Potter. You're not getting out of this so easily."


Harry took a deep breath and let it out. "Are we ready then? Can we get through this without laughing ourselves silly?"


"Yes."


"Let's go then."


He squeezed her hand and they went back into the lounge, greeting the others properly this time and excusing themselves for so rudely rushing out of the room. Mrs Mutt laughed it off. "It's quite understandable if you're having a few last minute worries," she commented.


The room was furnished in an old-fashioned style with lots of dark woodwork and lace doilies on the backs of the armchairs. When the small talk was over with, Archie Gale told Harry and Ginny to stand before him.


"Now," Archie said, "before we begin, have you got your documentation?"


"Erm, yes," Harry replied, reaching beneath his robes and removing a parchment from his shirt pocket. "Here you are."


He handed the parchment to Archie who examined it closely for a few moments. "Yes, everything seems to be in order here." He laid the parchment aside on a small table. "Have you got everything else?"


"Yes," replied Harry.


"All right, then we can begin."


Archie moved over to a bookcase and removed a thick tome bound in cracked, nut-brown leather. He opened the book and laid it on the table beside him, where he could consult it. Harry craned his neck and saw that it looked to be an illuminated manuscript, but he didn't recognise the alphabet. The letters were runic.


He asked Harry and Ginny to join hands, and Ginny took the lead, handing her roses to Mrs Mutt before taking Harry's right hand in her right and his left in her left so that their joined hands crossed between them. Then Archie held up his wand and began to recite a series of incantations. They seemed to be in Latin, and Harry felt like he ought to be able to recognise some of the words, but he'd never heard anything like this before.



As Archie's voice droned on, Harry felt himself compelled to look into Ginny's eyes. She was looking back at him just as steadily, and he couldn't break the gaze. At the same time there seemed to be a tingling feeling radiating into him from their clasped hands. It coursed through his entire body, warming and comforting him. Somehow he knew that if he tried to break his grip on her, he wouldn't be able to. But he didn't want to. He'd had no idea this would be so pleasant.


There was a glimmer in the air around them now, a golden light suffused the room. At first it was gentle, shimmering slightly like the material of Ginny's dress robes in soft candlelight, but it kept on growing in intensity until Harry had no choice but to close his eyes. Ginny had done the same, but their hands remained connected.


Suddenly the light went out, and Harry opened his eyes again. The tingling feeling was gone now, as well, and he felt he could move his hands if he chose to do so. But he maintained contact with Ginny.


"That was quite impressive." Archie's awed voice broke the reverent silence in the room. "I believe it's safe to say we can continue the ritual. I must first ask you some questions, to which you must reply with complete honesty. Have you both come here of your own free will today?"


"Yes." Harry and Ginny replied at the same time.


"Is there any reason which might prevent us from proceeding further today?"


"No." Again they replied as one.


"Then I will ask you to repeat after me."


He turned to address Ginny first, and repeating after him, Ginny made her vows.


"You cannot possess me for I belong to myself, but while we both wish it, I give you that which is mine to give. You cannot command me, for I am a free person, but I shall serve you in those ways you require, and the honeycomb will taste sweeter coming from my hand. I pledge to you that yours will be the name I cry aloud in the night and the eyes into which I smile in the morning. I pledge to you the first bite of my meat and the first drink from my cup. I pledge to you my living and my dying, each equally in your care. I shall be a shield for your back and you for mine. I shall not slander you, nor you me. I shall honour you above all others, and when we quarrel we shall do so in private and tell no strangers our grievances. This is my wedding vow to you. This is the marriage of equals."


Harry was amazed at how strong and steadfast her voice sounded as she spoke the words. His own throat felt tight, and he wondered how he was going to get his own vows out when his turn came.


He wasn't sure how, but he managed, and then Archie asked him for the rings. Reluctantly, Harry released Ginny's hand so he could reach into his pocket and produced the golden bands bedecked with runes of love and happiness that they had chosen. Archie laid them on his open palm, and waved his wand over them, muttering yet another incantation. A thin wisp of silvery smoke came from the end of his wand, swirling through the air around the rings and snaking its way through them, connecting the two and twisting on itself. Beside him, Ginny let out a gasp of surprise. The wisp of smoke, when it came to a stop, had formed a figure eight set on its side.


When the smoke had disappeared, Archie held out his hand to Harry, who took Ginny's ring. Following Archie's instructions, Harry slipped the ring onto her finger, repeating, "With this ring, I give you my promise that from this day forward you shall not walk alone. May my heart be your shelter and my arms be your home. May we walk together through all things. With this ring, I give you my heart. I have no greater gift to give. I promise I shall do my best. I shall always try. I feel so honoured to call you my life."


Then Ginny repeated the same words, setting Harry's ring on his finger. When she'd finished he caught her fingers in his and enlaced them. Then Archie stood before them and repeated a final blessing on the pair of them.


"Now you will feel no rain, for each of you will be shelter for the other. Now you will feel no cold, for each of you will be warmth to the other. Now there will be no loneliness, for each of you will be companion to the other. Now you are two persons, but there is only one life before you. May beauty surround you both in the journey ahead and through all the years. May happiness be your companion and your days together be good and long upon the earth.


"Treat yourselves and each other with respect, and remind yourselves often of what brought you together. Give the highest priority to the tenderness, gentleness and kindness that your connection deserves. When frustration, difficulty and fear assail your relationship - as they threaten all relationships at one time or another - remember to focus on what is right between you, not only the part which seems wrong. In this way, you can ride out the storms when clouds hide the face of the sun in your lives - remembering that even if you lose sight of it for a moment, the sun is still there. And if each of you takes responsibility for the quality of your life together, it will be marked by abundance and delight."


Harry let the words sink into him, and he wondered if he was up to all that. He'd have to be, he told himself. Ginny was worth it. She was watching him now, seemingly expectant. Harry had never so much as witnessed a wedding before -- the Dursleys had certainly never taken him to one, and he'd not been allowed to attend Percy's wedding -- but it appeared that Ginny was waiting for him to do something.


"Aren't you going to kiss her, dear?" Mrs Mutt asked, sounding more amused then was strictly polite, Harry felt.


He felt the back of his neck go hot, but he leaned in and placed his lips on Ginny's. He'd intended to kiss her quickly, feeling rather self-conscious in front of his former boss and co-worker, not to mention Archie. But Ginny put her arms around his waist and pulled him close, giving him quite a bit more than he'd bargained for. It somehow struck Harry as being a good omen.


They broke apart, and suddenly Hill was clapping Harry on the back in congratulations, while Mrs Mutt gave Ginny a peck on the cheek. Then the old lady shook Harry's hand. It seemed to him as if her eyes were brighter than usual.


"I didn't expect you to come to the ceremony today, and I certainly never thought to see Mr Hill."


"Nonsense, dear," replied Mrs Mutt. "When you asked me to help you get the necessary papers to plan all this, I knew you were going to need witnesses. Would you rather I'd brought your old friend St John?"


Harry leaned closer and asked conspiratorially, "Isn't he still, um, inconvenienced?"


"Unfortunately no. He turned up at work again the next day. I didn't make that spell last long enough."


"I don't know how I can ever thank you for all you've done for us today, Mrs Mutt."


"Don't worry about it, dear. Just be happy."


Harry smiled at the old woman, and then surprised them both when he leaned in and kissed her on the cheek.


"Wasn't the point of today to eliminate my competition?" Ginny remarked dryly. Mrs Mutt's cheeks had gone rather pink.


"What competition?" asked Harry with a grin. "I don't see any competition." And he proved his point by taking her into his arms and kissing her soundly on the lips.


After a final round of congratulations and thanks, Harry paid Archie and he and Ginny returned to the Three Broomsticks. Harry paused outside the door to their room to draw Ginny into an intense embrace, and he soon found himself wishing he hadn't bothered to order them supper. Ginny responded to him with equal passion, and suddenly he couldn't get the door to their room opened fast enough. Harry pulled back and rested his forehead against Ginny's. "I love you," he whispered, bringing up a hand to touch her cheek.


Ginny tightened her arms around his waist. "I love you, too."


It took Harry a few attempts, but he finally got the door open. Pushing on into their room, he saw that someone had been in to serve their supper. There were two sliver domes covering plates on the table, as well as a tray of what looked like hors d'oeuvres. There was also a large silver ice bucket with a bottle of champagne chilling in it. Standing against the domes, Harry could see a piece of heavy parchment with writing on it.


He went over and picked it up, trying to make out the fancy lettering. The words he read reminded him of the menus from which they had ordered at the Winter Solstice Ball.


~ Menu ~


Huîtres à la marinade de cresson


Salade printanière dans sa vinaigrette à l'aneth


Roulades de poulet au légumes dans sa marinade


Risotto garni au persil


Haricots verts amandines à la julienne


Fraises au chocolat


Champagne


Harry blinked but the words didn't make any more sense to him. He showed the parchment to Ginny. "Have you got any idea what any of this is?" he asked.


"Erm… well, yeah. Champagne. And something that looks like salad, and something that looks like chocolate."


"Great. I'd already worked out that much for myself."


"I guess we'll just have to try things and see if we like them."


Harry picked up a shell from the hors d'oeuvre tray. It contained something that looked slimy and gelatinous. "I don't know what this is, but I don't think I want to know," he commented.


Ginny wrinkled her nose. "No, I don't think I want to either."


"Perhaps they look more appetising after a few glasses of champagne," Harry added, reaching for the bottle.


"Do you know how to open that?"


"Well, I never have before, but how difficult can it be?"


He was undoing the gold foil wrapping around the bottle's neck. There was a sort of cage of wire covering the cork, and Harry wasn't too sure what to do about it for a moment. Then he worked out that he could loosen the wire. He did so, but the cork still remained stubbornly in place. He tried pulling at it, but that didn't seem to do much good. Then he got the idea of bracing the bottle between his knees and pushing at the cork with this thumbs. That seemed to work a bit better. The cork actually moved. He kept at it until…


POP!


The cork shot out of the end of the bottle followed by a fountain of bubbling liquid, dousing the front of Harry's robes and part of the carpet. Irritated, he pulled off his glasses and looked for a dry spot on his robes to clean off the lenses. He couldn't find one.


He glanced over at Ginny and saw she was clamping her lips shut, suppressing a fit of laughter.


"Excuse me." Harry set down the bottle and went into the bathroom. He had no choice but to take off his dress robes now, before the champagne soaked through to his shirt and trousers. He managed to get his glasses cleaned and splashed some water on his face before returning to the room and hanging his robes in the wardrobe. Ginny had poured out two glasses of champagne.


She handed him a glass, meeting his eyes. He took it from her, and she touched her own glass to his. "To us," she whispered.


"To us," Harry repeated, and took a long sip. The bubbles tingled on his tongue and tickled his nose. Ginny was still looking into his eyes, her gaze intensifying, and Harry felt his insides go fluttery again. He took another gulp of champagne and swallowed hard. Suddenly he felt a lot less sure of himself. He took third swig and realised his glass was empty already.


Ginny laughed at him. "Careful, you're not even going to make it through supper at that rate."


"I'm not completely sure I want to, since I don't even know what I'm supposed to be eating."


"Well, we know we're guaranteed salad and chocolate. That's something."


"I'll be starving by morning if that's all I have. I…" He broke off not really wanting to admit he hadn't eaten much of anything all day. Ginny took another sip and smiled at him, as if she could tell what he was thinking. The feeling that idea gave him was rather disconcerting.


"Well, perhaps we should see what we're in for then."


She took a seat at the table and removed the dome from her plate. Harry could see something that looked as if it was made out of rice, some sort of main dish and green beans. It looked great deal more promising than the hors d'oeuvres.


They made their way through the salad and on to the main course. "I wonder which of these is the hori-cot," commented Harry.


"No idea. In fact I'm not too sure what any of this is, really, but it's good."


"I think it's chicken," said Harry, cutting into his roll of white meat stuffed with aubergines and courgettes.


When they'd finished their meal, the dirty dishes and cutlery magically disappeared from the table, just as they did in Hogwarts Great Hall at meal time. In the place of their main courses appeared a large bowl of fresh, ripe strawberries and a small container of melted chocolate which sat over a votive candle.


Harry refilled their glasses, and then he watched, fascinated, as Ginny picked up one of the large berries and bit down on it. Her lips were almost the same colour as the fruit. She popped the rest into her mouth, and his throat went suddenly dry as she stuck her index finger between her lips to lick it. His hand shook as he raised his glass to his lips and tried in vain to swallow the mouthful of sparkling wine.


"You know," Ginny commented, "I don't think you're quite living up to all the conditions of our date."


"Oh? Are we still on a date, now that we're married?"


"We are if I say we are. And one of the things I asked you to do was feed me. You haven't done that yet."


"How am I supposed to feed you from over here?"


"We'll just have to do something about that." She got out of her chair and came around to his side of the table. "You'll have to push back a bit for this to work."


He did so, and she sat down on his lap. The fire burning on the grate suddenly seemed to diffuse quite a lot of heat into the room. He put his arms around her waist to steady her, thankful that his chair was padded and had a wide enough seat to support them both. From this vantage he could breathe in her scent. There was a faint air of strawberries about her now that she'd eaten one. The light freckles across her shoulders and upper chest enticed him to lean in and kiss them. She trembled slightly and shifted in his lap, putting her hands on his shoulders for support.


He pulled back, pleased with her response, and smiled up at her.


"Now," she said, and her voice was low and quiet, "if you're going to do this properly, you're going to need a demonstration."


She reached out for the bowl and selected a berry. She held it to his lips, pushing it into his mouth when he opened for her, and allowing her finger to remain, while he bit down on the strawberry, enjoying the burst of sweetness. He kissed at her fingertip when she withdrew.


"I think I've got the idea now, but aren't we supposed to dip them in the chocolate?"


"That's the next step."


Harry took another berry and dipped it into the warm chocolate before feeding it to her. The fruit left a trace of chocolate on her lips, and he watched the tip of her tongue dart out to clean it away. The sight made him tingle, and his brain began to work overtime, coming up with a few wicked ideas of his own.


With the next berry he purposely let the chocolate dribble onto her chin, and before she could do anything about it, he leaned close and kissed it away. She retaliated by holding a berry between her teeth and offering it to him, pushing it into his mouth with her tongue when he moved to take it from her. After several more breathless exchanges, Harry dared to let the chocolate drip onto the bare skin above her bodice. She threw her head back as he dipped his head to lave it with his tongue, and he couldn't resist sucking at the patch of soft, sensitive flesh.


Having Ginny on his lap and playing with her like this was fast becoming a sort of exquisite torture. He was enjoying the closeness, but at some point they were going to have to make themselves a bit more comfortable. Ginny was, at the moment, working on cleaning chocolate from his neck; it had got there when she'd dipped her finger into the dish and traced it along his skin.


He shifted under her, and she raised her head. "Should I, er… Should I think about changing?" she asked, and he detected a certain shyness in her tone.


"No, I don't want you to change. Just stay like that. I want to take that dress off you." He felt her tremble at his words. "If you want to go freshen up a bit, go ahead. I'll be waiting."


*


It didn't seem to Ginny as if she'd slept much at all that night. Wide though the mattress was, she just couldn't get comfortable in the strange bed. She opened her eyes, having the impression she'd just closed them, to find the room bathed in monochromatic grey and the fire burned down to ashes. Harry way lying asleep beside her, breathing slowly and peacefully.


She couldn't look at him, and a wave of sadness overcame her. She felt as if she'd failed him. She rolled to her side, facing in the opposite direction, wincing as she did so. She was still a bit sore.


Tears began to rise as she thought back to the previous evening. He'd hurt her, and she'd hidden it from him. She was going to have to say something at some point, and she didn't want to face his disappointment. But she also didn't want to try making love again any time soon. What if the pain never went away? It wasn't fair, she railed to herself, especially considering everything they'd gone through to get to this point. She'd known losing her virginity was supposed to hurt, but she hadn't expected it to be quite so bad. Nothing any of the other girls had said had led her to think it would be. There was only supposed to be a moment or two of pain, but after that there was apparently pleasure in it.


Ginny blushed. She had experienced pleasure, but that had been before they'd joined. She wouldn't mind a repeat of that, but it was hardly fair to ask it of Harry if she wasn't prepared to give anything in return.


She pushed the covers back. From the looks of things it was daylight out, and she needed a shower in any case. Another glance over at Harry told her he was still oblivious.


She retreated to the bathroom before he had a chance to wake up and say anything to her. Shutting the door behind her, she turned the taps and adjusted the water until it was as hot as she could stand it. Then she stood under the spray for a long time, letting the tears leak out and mingle with the water coursing over her, and wondering what was the matter with her.


Eventually she knew she'd have to get out. Her skin was red from the heat of the water, and she'd been under the shower so long, her fingertips were wrinkled. She washed herself as fast as she could and stepped out onto the mat, wrapping herself in a towel.


A knock sounded on the door, and she jumped. Harry. Ginny prayed he only wanted to use the loo.


"Ginny, is everything all right?"


Damn, he sounded concerned. He had to know something was up. "Everything's fine. Just give me a minute and I'll be out," she called.


The words didn't sound convincing even to her own ears. The doorknob turned, and Ginny faced the opposite wall, not wanting to see his face, not wanting to let him see her puffy eyes.


Suddenly he was standing behind her, his arms encircling her waist. She stiffened in spite of herself, and she felt him back off just a bit.


"Ginny, what's wrong?"


"N-nothing," she said, breaking out of his arms. "I… I just need to brush my teeth, and the bathroom is yours."


"Ginny, what happened last night? I hurt you, didn't I?"


She did turn towards him then, fresh tears coming to the surface, and fell against his bare shoulder. His arms went around her again, and he held her for a while. She settled into the embrace, her own arms wrapping around his waist. At least he'd taken the time to retrieve his trousers from the floor and put them on. The stubble on his chin was rough against her forehead.


"Ginny," he said after a while, "why didn't you tell me to stop? I would have. You know that, don't you? I asked you if you were all right."


"Yes, I know you would have. I just didn't know. I thought it would go away. Anything I'd ever heard made me think it wouldn't be that bad. And…" She hesitated, thinking of his words to her on another occasion when things had come close to getting out of hand. "You once told me it was either both of us or neither of us. And, well…"


"I'm sorry, Ginny. I didn't want it to be this way."


"It wasn't completely horrible, you know. Most of it was… well, nice. It was just at the end…"


Harry took a deep breath and pressed her more tightly against his chest. "All right," he said after a silence. "We'll just have to take it more slowly I guess. We don't have to do everything until you're ready."


"But that's not fair to you," Ginny protested.


"I think we can work something out, don't you? We'll manage. I promise."


Ginny felt her throat tightening once again. "I love you, Harry," she whispered against his shoulder.


"It's going to be all right, Gin."


They held onto each other in silence for a while longer, until Ginny realised that they'd have to return to The Burrow before too long. They'd been out all night, and she had no idea what sort of reception they were going to receive once they got back home.


To Be Continued…


A/N: The wedding ceremony was taken from various sources. The vows were slightly adapted from the Celtic Wedding Vow by Morgan Llywelyn. I adapted the ring vows from a ceremony I found here. And the blessing at the end is the Blessing of the Apaches.


The author denies all responsibility for any diabetic comas this chapter may have induced. The bright light in this chapter is dedicated to Cait.