Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

What Lies Ahead by hpfan012

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Voldemort's dead... but what about Harry? How will Ginny ever survive when her boyfriend isnt even conscious?

(This chapter starts off with a memory!)

sorry for the long wait... i've been pretty busy.
Ginny sat on the ledge of the back porch, reading her book. The moonlight guided her eyes as they slid across the page but her eyes quickly disconnected from the book as the back door opened. A pool of light flooded out onto the porch, blinding her.

“Ginny?”

“Harry, what is it?” she asked as she blinked trying to see through the dots floating in and out of her vision. The door closed and the light ceased to exist as Harry crossed over the porch in a few short strides.

“Why are you sitting out here alone?” He asked, leaning his back on the ledge. He looked over to Ginny.

“Why are you standing in front of me asking me questions?” Ginny questioned.

“Because you haven’t talked to me this whole summer and I’m trying to start a conversation.” Harry said casually. “Here, new question… Why haven’t you talked to me this whole summer?”

“Because you broke up with me and it seemed like you wanted nothing to do with me. Admit it Harry, you haven’t even looked my way this whole summer.”

“Or, you just looked at the wrong times. Actually Gin, I haven’t been able to keep my eyes off of you this entire summer.” Harry said, looking down. Ginny noted the use of her nickname from him.

“And yet, you’re looking at the ground right now…” Ginny said.

“I’m sorry. But after all, I don’t want anything to do with you, remember?” Harry said bitterly. Ginny scoffed, shook her head, and looked back down at her book. Lightly Harry slid the book off of her lap. “How could you even think that? Ginny I have done nothing but think about you this whole summer. Everything I saw reminded me of you or of the times we had together. I can’t stand it.”

“Oh, so our times together were unbearable?” Ginny asked bitterly.

“No Gin, the exact opposite. I miss you. I miss everything about you. I miss you waking me up in the morning just so you could have a kiss. I miss spending time by the lake and on the quidditch pitch. I miss dancing under the stars with you. Do you remember dancing under the stars?”

“Of course I do. How could I forget?”

“Well,” Harry stood up straight and stuck out his hand, “may I have this dance?”

“Harry, there’s no music…” Ginny said laughing.

He pulled her off of the ledge and took her hands setting one on his shoulder and taking the other in his hand. Then he wrapped his arm around her waste and pulled her closer. “We don’t need music.” He whispered in her ear. Gently they rocked back and forth for a while when suddenly he stopped.

“I might kiss you now.” He said blankly.

Ginny looked up. “So what’s stopping you?” She leaned forward slightly.

“Gin, I can’t-”

“Oh of course not, you just lead me on and make me believe that we can be together again… but evidently I was wrong.”

“No. I could kiss you now, but I can’t risk losing you. I don’t want to lose you again.” Harry said.

Ginny sighed heavily and brought her hands down to her sides. “Fine. Goodnight Harry.” She turned to leave but was stopped when Harry grabbed her hand.

“Of course, I wouldn’t lose you unless I had you in the first place…” Harry said. He pulled her back to him and kissed her passionately. “Ginny-”


“Ginny. Ginny,” Ron whispered in his slumbering sister’s ear. “Ginny.” He said, shaking her shoulder slightly.

Ginny woke up with a start. Frantically she looked around the hospital room before her eyes landed on Ron. “What is it?” she asked groggily, rubbing her eyes.

“Gin, you’re been here for three days. You’re exhausted. Go home and get some sleep. You need to. He’ll be fine,” Ron said in a worried tone.

“No, I’m not leaving, I’m fine. I-I’m fine. I can’t leave… what if he wakes up and I’m not here? I can’t leave him,” Ginny said, her voice cracking slightly. She looked at Harry who was lying motionless in bed, propped up on many pillows, with a vacant expression on his face. She squeezed his hand lightly.

“At least get a cup of coffee and walk around a little. You haven’t left that spot for thirty-six hours,” Ron said. Ginny whipped her head around and opened her mouth to speak, but Ron cut her off, “Don’t worry, I’ll be here with him. Go.”

Reluctantly, Ginny got up and made her way to the door. Taking one look back, she saw Ron take her seat which was situated next to Harry’s bed. He nodded at her and she left.

She watched her feet as she made her way up the stairs to the fifth floor tear room of St. Mungo’s. It was the first time in days that she had left Harry’s room and she couldn’t feel worse about it.

The trip from the Ministry to St. Mungo’s after Harry had collapsed was a blur. She couldn’t remember much, considering she hadn’t done anything but cry from that time to the time that she had to be checked out by the healers. After mending her wrist and giving her a potion for shock, Ginny immediately asked for Harry and hadn’t left that chair beside him since. Now, she didn’t know what she was going to do. What if Harry never woke up? She couldn’t go on without him, she had never dreamt of it.

Snapping from her thoughts, Ginny found herself in the tearoom and not realizing how she even got there, she went over to the muggle coffee maker and promised herself that as soon as her coffee was done, she would go straight back to Harry’s room.

~***~


Ginny sat in Harry’s room quietly reading her book. It was nighttime now, almost seven to be exact. Sighing heavily, Ginny closed her book and made her way across the room to draw the curtains. She was halfway there when

“Gin…”

She stopped in her tracks, her breath caught in her chest. No, she was dreaming, it was just a dream. She stood there, paralyzed and then again

“Ginny.”

Tears immediately burned in her eyes as she turned and saw Harry, his eyes half open, looking over to her. Letting out half a scream, she rushed over to his bedside and grabbed his hand.

“Harry,” Ginny said tearfully, “you’re okay. I was so worried I would never see you again and, oh Harry I’m so glad you’re okay!” She sobbed as she put her head down on his bed and her tears soaked the sheet.

“Hey,” Harry said quietly, it was hard for him to talk. “Hey, look at me,” he said as he lifted her chin. “I will always be here for you, no matter what,” Harry tucked her hair behind her ear and wiped a tear from her cheek as she continued to cry. “Come here.”

Harry patted the bed and Ginny climbed onto it as he put his arm around her and she laid her head on his chest and cuddled up to him, still sobbing. “Listen,” Harry said, “my heart is beating for you Gin. You are the only reason that I’m still here, without you I’m nothing… I can’t live without you.”

“I was afraid that I was going to have to live without you. But I wouldn’t have been able to Harry, I’m so glad you’re okay.” Ginny said quietly, her tears subsiding a little.

“I promise you, I will always be here for you. I love you Ginny.”

“I love you too.” Ginny said as Harry lifted her chin and kissed her passionately. The laid there for a while, Harry stroking Ginny’s hair gently before he spoke

“So, what happened? I just remember casting the Avada Kadavra and then everything went black.” Harry said.

“Well, Voldemort cast the killing curse too… except he did it a little too late. Right when he cast it, your spell hit him, so his aim got messed up. But the curse still hit you, or skimmed across your arm more like. That’s why you were only knocked out. But there were still some severe consequences… the healers were afraid you weren’t going to wake up.”

Harry sat there in silence for a while before continuing to ask questions. “What about the Death Eaters? Did the Aurors catch all of them?”

“Well-”

“They didn’t catch all of them?! Are you kidding me?” Harry asked angrily. “Who escaped?”

“First of all Harry, you need to calm down, you know how you can get. Secondly… it isn’t that bad.”

“Meaning it’s bad.” Harry said. “Ginny… listen, I’m calm. Just tell me who escaped and I promise that I won’t get mad.”

“Okay… Macnair, Goyle, Malfoy, Amycus, Alecto, Mulciber, Avery… and Snape.” Ginny said getting ready for the worst.

“What?!” Harry asked angrily.

“Harry…”

“Sorry Gin, I just-” Harry took a deep breath, to calm himself. “I just don’t understand how they could let eight Death Eaters escape… including Snape. How could they let the man that murdered Albus Dumbledore escape? They can’t still believe that he’s on our side?”

“Harry, I don’t understand why either. We can figure that out later but Ron and Hermione are going to walk in here any minute so please don’t be fuming when they get here. They would be so excited to see you awake and happy, not bitter. And I’ll answer the rest of your questions later, when we have the time.” Ginny said. Harry couldn’t argue with her when he was just so happy that he was alive, so he lay there with her until his other two best friends entered the room and shared their excitement with him.