Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

We Need All the Allies We Can Get by Cinderella Angelina

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: This chapter makes reference to another of my fics, "Aspiration," that I didn't notice until just now. It's only a glancing allusion, though. You shouldn't be too confused.
*~*
It was a solemn day. Susan didn’t suppose that Dumbledore’s funeral could be anything but solemn, but it oppressed her spirits. She didn’t want to think. Would the school close? Would Voldemort attack the rest of her family? Dumbledore’s death made the whole world feel so unsafe.

The year had been long and hard enough, Susan thought, without this. Even without N.E.W.T. Potions she had a full schedule of difficult classes and ever since Justin Finch-Fletchley and Sally-Anne Perks had started going out she’d not had much of a social life either. And now Dumbledore was dead.

Susan sat two rows behind the Ministry delegation during the funeral and was pleased to see that even if most of the important people present didn’t seem to be too terribly upset at Dumbledore’s demise, Percy Weasley’s face was set like a stone, still not hiding the occasional quiver of his chin. She’d thought once or twice about the letter he’d sent her, without regret that she’d burned it. Perhaps, though, things had changed. Susan determined to go up and speak with him after the funeral “ she didn’t know how polite she would manage to be, but Aunt Amelia had taught her some diplomacy tricks.

However, as soon as the funeral ended, Percy detached himself from his colleagues and approached her first.

“Hello Susan,” he said, and Susan thought irrationally how he kept meeting her when her nose was red from crying.

“Hello,” she replied, shaking his offered hand. “And how is work at the Ministry these days?”

“Much the same as ever,” Percy said. “Did you have a good school year?”

“N.E.W.T. classes,” she replied with a shrug. “Nothing much more exciting than that.”

“Oh, I see.” He adjusted his glasses. “Did you ever get my letter? I sent it almost a year ago.”

“Yes,” Susan said. This was the delicate part. “I...wasn’t amenable to being your informant within Hogwarts, you see. I didn’t want to spy on Harry or Dumbledore and I didn’t like that you thought I would.” She’d tried to keep her voice neutral, the way her auntie had taught her, but some of her annoyance crept through nonetheless.

“I see,” Percy said, flustered. “Well, I think you may not have understood me “ ”

“Do you?” Susan said. “Then I’m sorry that I so misjudged your character for a whole year. Why didn’t you just ask your brother for the information you wanted?”

Percy flushed.

“I thought so.” Susan sighed. She hadn’t wanted to get angry, not today on top of everything else. “Percy, my aunt once praised your work ethic and I was impressed with you as Head Boy. I wouldn’t mind getting to know you if you would please try not to take advantage of me.”

Percy took a deep breath, now clearly offended, but Susan overrode him again.

“This is a time when we need all the allies we can get,” she said, tears inexplicably pricking her eyes. “I’m willing to overlook your rudeness in writing me such a letter if you’re willing to overlook mine in ignoring it. I really must go now, but keep in touch!” She put out her hand to shake and Percy automatically shook it, even though when he realized what he was doing he quickly removed his hand from her grasp and stalked away.

Susan turned to Justin and Sally-Anne, who were staring at her from their seats in the next row over.

“Was that Percy Weasley?” Justin said, a look of distaste on his face. “I didn’t know you knew him.”

“Not really,” Susan admitted. The tears that had been pricking at her eyes threatened to fall any moment. “Oh, let’s go get a seat on the train. I can’t stand to be here another minute!”

And with that uncharacteristic outburst, she led her friends right past the Ministry delegation without looking at Percy “ she knew if she did, she would begin to cry.

The summer, which had started off to such a poor start, didn’t get any better. Susan’s parents were both working eighteen hours a day trying to keep their workplaces safe and functioning and they wouldn’t let her out of the house without a twenty-minute interrogation about where she was going, what route she was taking, what defensive spells she had ready, and how long, to the minute, until they could expect her back. She figured she might as well stay home and read the lessons she would have been taking if Hogwarts were still open.

“There’s still a chance, honey,” her mother would say every time she passed by to check on her wellbeing. “Hogwarts could still be open.”

“Then I’m just getting ahead,” Susan would reply absently, practicing the wand movements for difficult charms. “No harm in that.”

However, it seemed to Susan that she was in for the worst summer of her life. Then a letter came. After her parents (both of them, at different times) had performed all the curse-checks they could think of, she got hold of it. It was from Percy Weasley.

Dear Susan,

I was very angry about what you said to me at the funeral, but you were right. I was using you for inside information about Hogwarts. I’m impressed by your astute observation, though a little chagrined as well. I had thought I was being subtle.

I’ve had time to think about what you said, though, and I’ve decided you are also right that we need all the allies we can get. So, I’d like to begin again with you. How has your summer been? Have you been keeping up on your studies? Is there a chance I could meet you for lunch sometime in order to fully apologize? Perhaps at the Ministry café, where security is so stringent there’s no doubt we’re who we say we are?

I hope you can forgive my abominable behavior toward you. I look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,
Percy Weasley
Junior Undersecretary to the Minister of Magic


Susan read the letter through three times in succession. He seemed honest enough, and she was flattered by his compliments. Perhaps things had changed like she’d hoped they would. She got out a fresh piece of parchment and wrote out a reply. Yes, she would love to meet him for lunch at his first convenient opportunity, please and thank you.