Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

We Need All the Allies We Can Get by Cinderella Angelina

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Now might be a good time to mention that this story is slightly AU from my other Susan work. I also intended it to be just four chapters long, but Percy didn't want to hurry along to his family. Can you blame him?
***
The Hogwarts Express was a much less cheery place than it had been in the past. Every compartment had its own special bodyguard and their presence discouraged any chatting that might have taken place – should have taken place, Susan thought. Coming home for Christmas had always been a signal for merry-making, catching the trolley lady under mistletoe, and laughter throughout the train.

Ginny Weasley passed by Susan’s compartment door and gave her a tight little smile through the glass. Susan sighed. It was hard to know what Ginny was thinking, especially after she’d approached Susan a few days after her lunch with Percy.

“Hello,” Ginny had said stiffly.

“Hi, Ginny,” Susan replied, her friendly smile faltering at Ginny’s stony expression. “How have your classes been going this term?”

“Well enough,” Ginny said. She twirled a piece of hair around her fingers. “Hey, Susan, you’re a nice girl,” she blurted, blushing.

“Why, thanks,” Susan began, surprised. “I’ve always rather liked you myse – ”

“Which is why I thought I should warn you about my brother Percy,” Ginny interrupted.

Susan squared her shoulders. “You mean, how he’s a prat and stubborn and thinks rising through the ranks of the Ministry is the meaning of life at the expense of everyone, including his family – and, you worry, me as well?”

Ginny looked very taken aback. “Something like that,” she said. “I – I’m glad that you’re so aware of his faults.”

Susan smiled. “I paid attention. You see, Ginny, he tried to use me for inside information at Hogwarts. Didn’t take him long to realize he’d misjudged my character – and I had his down too well. Confidentially, I think he’s a little scared of me now.”

Ginny grinned at the thought. “You’re just saying that so I don’t worry about you in the clutches of my evil brother.”

“Perhaps,” Susan allowed, “but we’ve both come to understand that this is a time when we need all the allies we can get. Don’t you agree?”

Strangely enough, Ginny’s eyes filled with tears. “Yes,” she said softly, and Susan saw how much she missed Harry, Ron, and Hermione, who hadn’t come back to Hogwarts this year. “Well, just thought I’d warn you.” She turned and left before Susan had a chance to say anything else.

The Hogwarts Express was nearing London now. Susan gathered her thoughts and her belongings and prepared to disembark. In his last letter, Percy had told her that he would come pick her up at Kings Cross, but hinted that he would be a little late. Susan had surmised that he didn’t want to risk meeting his family at the station before he was prepared.

After about half an hour, he finally showed up.

“You look cold,” he said, taking her traveling bag.

Susan glared at him. “Did you have to wait quite so long? Mr. Weasley picked Ginny up as soon as she got off the train. I’ve been waiting ages.”

“Dreadfully sorry, Miss Bones,” he said, not sounding sorry at all. “Would you care to stop for dinner? Whether you want to or not, you need the warming up.”

“Very well, then. And straight to the Burrow after that?”

Percy blushed and looked away. “I was thinking, maybe tomorrow...”

“Good heavens, what did Scrimgeour do to get you to come with him?” Susan exclaimed, exasperated. “Did it occur to you that I have nowhere to stay? Well, I can always go home, but frankly, Mr. Weasley, I don’t trust you to come pick me up when you are ready. No, we’re going directly after dinner.”

Percy huffed at her, then started to smile. “Susan, I cannot explain to you how happy I am to have you here with me. He shifted her bag to his other hand so he could grasp hers. “We’ll go after dinner.”

Susan had expected more of a fight, but was too pleased at the sensation of her hand in his to say anything. This was different from her impulsive grab at his hand at their lunch – then she’d been so overcome with her determination she hadn’t felt any of these exciting sparks. She couldn’t quite catch her breath and she was not even cold anymore.

Dinner was interesting. Percy was too nervous to eat much, something that may not have been helped by Susan’s constant suggestions.

“You will probably get angry when you’re face-to-face with all of them again. You just have to keep in mind your goal here – to become reunited with the family you love. Try not to get defensive – you’re completely in the wrong here, and you should probably admit that. Look at them in the eye, that way they’ll know you’re sincere. For heaven’s sake, don’t stand there like a poker!”

“Susan!” Percy said finally, pinching his nose right above his glasses. “Please, let’s either talk about something else or not talk at all.”

Susan blinked, then realized that he was more nervous than she’d realized. “So Professor Flitwick did something really interesting in Charms the other day. He had two of us stand up and then made us switch voices. It was so funny when Lavender started speaking with Ernie’s voice!” While telling this anecdote, she watched him carefully and was glad to see some of the tension in his face ease; he even took a bite of his food.

“Are you ready?” she asked softly when her plate was clear and his food was thoroughly pushed around.

“No,” he said. “Are you sure we can’t wait till tomorrow?”

Susan stood up and put out her hand to pull him up. “We’re going now.” She threw a Galleon and some Sickles on the table and heaved at Percy. “Keep the change,” she told the waiter as she hustled Percy out of the room.

“You wouldn’t know, to look at you, that you were this bossy,” Percy muttered at Susan. “I thought Hufflepuffs were supposed to be nice and, you know, easily led.”

“You were misinformed,” Susan told him, squeezing his hand. “Can you Side-Along? I passed my Apparition test, but I have splinched myself before and would prefer not to if I don’t have to.”

“Sure,” Percy said. “It’ll work even better if you get closer to me.” Susan sidled nearer. “No, not like that.” He detached his hand from hers and drew her into his arms. “Hold tight.”

Susan hung on with all her might – she’d Side-Alonged with her mum before and didn’t remember having to do this, but she didn’t mind. There was a squeeze and a pop and Percy slowly began to release her.

“I would have hugged you if you’d asked,” Susan informed him gently.

Percy half smiled and kept his arms around her for another moment before finally releasing her. “I prefer to do things more subtly than that, Miss Bones. Besides, I ... I needed the support. This is the hardest thing I’ve ever done.”

“Then it is all the more important that you do it. I promise that, no matter what happens, I’ll still be your ally.”

“Your ally?” Percy snorted. “Yes, since that’s all I think of you as.” He leaned forward.

“Stop stalling,” Susan said, turning her face away quickly. “Come on, now. Look, all the lights are on!” She started off toward the Burrow and Percy quickly caught up and hung onto her hand like a vise.

There was a happy babble of voices coming from the other side of the door. Susan glanced at Percy and saw how pale he looked. She’d have squeezed his hand but her fingers were numb from how tightly he was holding her.

“Well?” she prompted. Percy gulped and knocked on the door.