Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Shine my Light on You by Powerful_Quill

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Six



Sometime later, Ginny heard her mother call upstairs for them to come down for dinner.

Excitement bubbled in Ginny’s stomach, and she sprang up from her chair. All of the Order (with the exception of Snape, McGonagall and Dumbledore), Hermione and the Weasley’s were to be there. Even the twin’s friend Lee Jordan.

“Come on!” she smiled at Harry.

“Hold on,” grunted Harry, who was hopping around the room, trying to catch the old Snitch.

Ginny watched, amused, giggling as he did this.

He finally reached around the bed post, making a long stretch, finally closing his fingers on the frantic ball, which beat it’s wings desperately against his palm.

“Are you ready yet?” Ginny teased, pulling on her shoes.

He hurried to a trunk and pulled a sock from it, stuffing the golden ball inside before setting it back inside.

“Ready now?”

“Yeah,” Harry panted.

Surpressing a giggle but showing a smile, Ginny took him by the arm, leading him out the door. More like frantic rushing.

“Gin - it’s only dinner -” began Harry.

But Ginny wasn’t listening as they hurried down the first staircase.

They tip-toed past Mrs. Black, down the dining room staircase.

“Gin - what’re you -”

“Shhh!” said Ginny, loud enough for the people on the inside to hear.

She smiled at him briefly before turning the handle and bursting through the door.

SURPRISE!”

Harry’s mouth fell open, completely stunned at the sight of all the people.

All of the Order, including Kingsley Shacklebolt, Emmeline Vance, Elphias Doge, the excitable Deldalus Diggle, Hestia Jones, Mad-Eye, and finally Lupin, by his side, Tonks. Among the Order was the Weasley family, including Bill and Charlie, who Ginny was very delighted to see. The party clapped and cheered, the twin’s and Lee laughing at the dumbfounded look on Harry’s face.

Ginny turned and smiled up at him.

“Happy birthday, Harry,” she beamed.

“T-they - you - did all this . . . all of this for me?” Harry croaked.

“Mm-hm,” said Ginny happily.

A big smile spread on Harry’s face, even if he was still visibly shocked.

“Come on, mate,” Ron said, stepping forward and clapping Harry on the shoulder. “Come and have some food.”

Ginny gave his arm a brief squeeze before he was led off, and she ran into the arms of her two oldest brothers, who each took it in turns to pick her up off her feet in those wonderful, strong hugs of theirs.

“How’s my girl?” Bill would ask. Or Charlie would use her old pet name, “Munchkin.”

Ginny loved to be around her brothers. And she loved to see them as much as she could. Even if Bill was back here in England, he spent most of his time with that prissy Fleur. And Charlie was still out in Romania.

“How is he?” Bill whispered seriously, as Charlie’s face mirrored the same expression.

“He’s much better than before,” Ginny murmured with a smile, glancing in Harry’s direction where he was being pulled into a hug by Mum.

“Good,” Bill said. He then grinned. “Did you see all the presents?” he asked.

Ginny looked over at the dining table and saw that it was nearly groaning under the weight of a very large pile of presents and various foods.

“Wow!” she smiled.

Harry was also looking at the presents, completely taken aback.

“This is how his birthday parties should have been,” Ginny murmured as Tonks jovially shoved a present into Harry’s arms, ruffling his hair fondly and kissing his cheek, which made the now sixteen-year-old color brightly.

She felt Bill’s arms around her shoulders.

“Yes - well now we’ll have plenty of time to make that up.”

She saw Remus heave something upon an open space on the table.

“Looks like Remus found that old C. Gilbert record player of his,” said Charlie as Lupin opened the case.

He lowered the needle and some lively music began to play.

“Dance with me?” asked Bill, stepping in front of her, offering his hand.

Ginny grinned and he dragged her to an open space.

“D’you remember when I learned how to swing dance?” Bill asked as he moved his hips to the beat.

“Oh yeah,” giggled Ginny as he spun her out and in. “For that girlfriend of yours when you were twenty - you bluffed and said you could.”

Bill laughed.

“And Mum wasn’t up to helping me learn,” he said.

“But what I remember most,” said Ginny, giggling, “is me dancing on your toes when you first taught me how to dance - when I was seven.”

He grinned as she carefully stepped on his toes, moving for the both of them.

Other party-goers soon got the gist and began to dance as well.

Charlie had grabbed Mum away from Harry, Fred, George and Lee, up to their usual jokes, began to dance rather exuberantly and even Deldalus Diggle had grabbed Hestia Jones.

Ginny glanced over at Harry and was pleased to see that same big smile on his face as he talked with Dad.

The music finally quieted into a slower tune.

Out of breath, Bill hugged his little sister, giving a kiss on the top of her head before departing.

Ginny grinned up at him before scanning through the crowd.

She saw Tonks grab Remus away from the table and drag him into the dance area; Kingsley was paired up with Emmeline; Mum and Dad were also paired, up. Charlie had taken the rather pink Hestia.

On opposite sides of the room were Ron, who had taken to staring at his feet, and Hermione was sipping a drink quietly.

Ginny wore a grin that could have challenged Fred and George’s evil ones.

Oh Merlin, I’m good, she thought mischievously.

She went to Ron.

“Wanna join me in a dance?” she asked sweetly.

“Erm - sure,” said Ron, taken by surprise.

He made to the dancing area, but she stopped him halfway.

“Hold on,” she said. “Let me go take my shoes off, yeah?”

But dancing with Ron was certainly not was she intended.

She disappeared through a crowd to Hermione.

“Hey, ’Mione,” she said, “Bill wants to talk to you.”

“Bill?” questioned Hermione, furrowing her brow.

Ginny shrugged.

“Come on,” she said, grabbing her best friend’s hand.

She led Hermione into the crowd of dancing people, separating them from only a few bodies between Ron, who seemed to be looking for Ginny.

Ginny thanked Merlin that Kingsley was so tall, and purposely dropped Hermione’s hand to grab Ron’s.

“Here Hermione,” she said, joining the two hands and pushing them into each other as another slow song picked up.

She giggled as she rushed off to the table where Harry sitting alone, looking happier than she’d ever seen in the past few days.

“Birthday Boy,” she smiled, taking his hand. “Dance with me?”

His cheeks went pink but he followed her nevertheless, as he didn’t have much choice.

“So,” said Ginny as she clasped her hand with one of his, the other around his shoulder, while he put his other around her waist. “Have you had a nice birthday?”

“A great one,” said Harry happily. “So you planned all this?”

“The Weasley clan, Hermione, Remus and Tonks did,” grinned Ginny proudly.

“It’s brilliant,” said Harry as they revolved slowly on the spot. “I’ve never had so many presents in my life.”

“And you deserve every single one of them,” said Ginny, squeezing his shoulder.

He gave her a lopsided smile before looking around them.

“Where’s Ron and Hermione?” he asked.

“Dancing together,” said Ginny, scanning the crowd. She spotted a familiar head of ginger. “There.”

Ron and Hermione were slowly revolving a few feet away. More like gawking.

Harry's mouth dropped open, but he laughed.

“Did you do that?” he asked her.

“You know it,” said Ginny. It was nice to hear his laughter again. “I’m sure we’ll get an earful of it later.”

He snorted.

“I s’pect we will.”

He grew silent for a moment.

Merlin - how she wished things could be like this more often. . .

This is what Harry deserved, to be surrounded by his friends that loved and cared about him.

Later she would speak with her mother about doing this every year - that was for sure. Things were going to be better for him from now on. . .

“Hey Gin?”

“Yeah?” Ginny’s heartbeat quickened for the second time today as she registered his tone of voice.

He suddenly stopped dancing and pulled her into a warm embrace.

“Thanks Gin,” he said. “For - everything.”

Ginny began to tremble as she felt him press a soft kiss to her ear. But she returned his embrance nonetheless as she felt her cheeks burn, kissing his cheek in turn.

“Happy birthday, Harry.”

~End~





*sigh* Don't you just love the Weasley brothers? This chapter and the last were in a kind of dedication, as they hold a special place in my heart (With the exception of Percy >_>)

Also, did you like Lupin's record player? Take three guesses as to where I got the idea, the first two don't count. I just thought it'd be a cute idea after watching PoA.


Thanks again!

- Layna

P.S: Oh yeah, and I almost forgot to tell you - There's a sequel! Yes, I know that some of you kept asking me for "more" and the same went with those at SIYE, so I decided to write a sequel. It's called "Kiss me Fool" and it's not as angst-driven as much as SMLOY. It's more humorous-romance with a wee iddy bit of angst. Thought I'd have a litttle fun and put my angst drive into another fanfic called, "Memories."

But thanks again for all your fantastic reviews and everything - and I hope to see you all reviewing in the sequel!