Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

When All Is Lost by Sly Severus

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Disclaimer: I do not own these characters or anything in their magical world. These characters and their world belong to the talented J.K. Rowling and Warner Bros.




Narcissa glared at the morning paper. She was about prepared to hurl it at the owl that had brought it to her when the bird wisely flew out the window. It was such a travesty of justice. There was no justice. It wasn’t fair. Her family was gone and no one would be punished for her loss.

The young and extremely popular Harry Potter had been acquitted of charges for using the Killing Curse. But he wasn’t acquitted because he didn’t do it. No, they were letting him go because the council had deemed that Potter’s actions were justified and necessary. How could it have been necessary for that little prat to kill her husband? Lucius had had his faults and there was a certain amount of cruelty in his nature, but he didn’t deserve to die because of it.

That Potter brat deserved to die. He put it all in motion. So many of the bad things that had happened in Narcissa’s life had happened because that stupid child had failed to die. He set into motion the events that lead to her husband’s death and her son’s disappearance. She hated him. She had hoped he would be sentenced to life in Azkaban or worse. But of course not, he couldn’t be sentenced at all because he was Harry Bloody Potter.

Tears stung the back of her eyes. She threw the paper to the ground and retrieved a bottle of firewhisky with a quick murmur of Accio. She grabbed the bottle as it floated towards her and drank directly out of it. What did she care about proper etiquette? She had nothing left. Her family was gone. Her husband was dead. She would never find her son and even if she did he would be tossed in Azkaban for the rest of his life. Draco would not get a free pass. He wasn’t Harry Potter.

She gulped until the firewhisky was gone. She knew there wasn’t another drop in the house. It was something that she had been using rather liberally as of late.

With her favorite mind numbing substance gone, she knew it was time to make a choice. What was she going to do? Her husband was gone. Draco was gone. She all alone in the giant mansion, without even a house-elf to keep her company. It was clear that there was nothing left for her there.

She tossed the firewhisky bottle against the wall, grabbed her traveling cloak and left the house. She didn’t bother to take any of her possessions. They no longer meant anything to her. Without Draco and Lucius, nothing meant anything to her. Bringing her possessions with her would only remind her of all that she had lost.

Flinging the door opened she was met by a gush of cold wind. Normally, the cold would send shivers through her body, but that day she felt nothing. She could feel nothing beyond her grief and loss.

Common sense told her that she should have a plan. She should know where she was going and how she would get there. But she had no where to go. Everyone she had ever loved was gone. Her son, her husband, Severus, and even Bella. Lucius was dead. Draco was missing. Severus and Bella were both in Azkaban and there was nothing anyone could do to save them from their fate. She knew. She had tried everything.

She walked into the blistering cold, feeling nothing. She simply walked. Eventually she would end up somewhere, or perhaps the exposure would kill her. However, she doubted death would come to her. That would be merciful and the world never seemed to feel any need to be merciful to a Malfoy or a Black, for that matter.

Her hair tangled in the wind and tears fell down her cheeks. She knew that she looked like a crazy person, but she didn’t care. Most people had thought her crazy since she was a child. They thought her sisters were crazy too, especially poor Bella, but they were wrong. The Black sisters had never been crazy. They had been lost, just like Narcissa was once again.

As she walked her bitter thoughts continued. She thought of Lucius. What he was like when she married him. He was no where near as hard or cruel in those days. She had loved him and he had loved her. They had been happy—until the Dark Lord entered their lives. He stole Lucius’ happiness, his spark, and eventually his life.

She thought of her son—her precious Draco. He had been the most adorable and well-behaved child. He rarely ever cried as a baby, always content if he could sleep in her arms or Lucius’. As a child he had been the perfect son to her. He had remained the perfect son to her until the Dark Lord took him as well. Hatred surged through her each time she thought of the monster that had destroyed everyone she loved.

Her mind turned to her sister—her beautiful Bella. Growing up, Bella had always been the one she turned to for help and advice. Her big sister had raised her, far more than her parents ever had. Bella had always been a little wild, but she had had a good heart. She loved her family and was only loyal to them. At least Bella was only loyal to her family until the Dark Lord got a hold of her. Once she was in his grasp the sister Narcissa loved quickly disappeared, being replaced by a much colder woman who could no longer love with the same intensity. But it didn’t matter. Narcissa still loved her. And Narcissa knew that in her own way Bella still loved her too.

Next she thought of poor Severus. He had supported her and her husband through everything. He had been the one thing she could always depend on, a constant in the madness. It was because of her dependence that he was rotting in Azkaban. He had managed to escape the clutches of the Dark Lord. He was almost free. And she had taken that freedom from him. His vow to protect her son had cost him his freedom.

Finally, she thought of someone whom she hadn’t seen in years. Her thoughts turned to her other sister. The sister who had been disowned. The sister she was told to forget. Andromeda. Andy had been a parent to her, much like Bella. She loved Narcissa and cared for her. After she was disowned she had pleaded with Narcissa for years to let her in her life. But because of the Dark Lord and the life she and her husband had chosen to lead, she could never let Andromeda back into her life. Now it was too late. Andromeda would never forgive her after all these years of abuse and neglect.

Fresh tears filled her eyes and she looked down. For the first time she realized that she walking through snow. A real shiver went through her. She glanced around, realizing that she had no idea where she was. Perhaps death would come to her after all.

She continued to walk until finally a large sign appeared out of nowhere. It was a wooden sign with the words THE GREEN DRAGON painted on it in sloppy green letters.

Slowly she approached the door. A smile crossed her face as she realized it was a tavern. That was exactly what she needed, another bottle of firewhisky. She pushed opened the door and stepped inside.