Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Small Addition by ancientgirl

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
This is the last chapter of this particular story. Thank you to all who have read and reviewed.

Thank you to Selened for dong the beta work.

These characters belong to JKR.


Chapter 3

“What could be taking them so long?” asked Hermione. “Osiris, go and see what’s happening,” she growled. Her contractions had rapidly started coming closer and closer. She had a feeling her new daughter was going to be as impatient as her father.

“I can’t leave you here alone,” Osiris said.

“You have no choice. Please, go find someone, anyone.” She tried to sit herself up, but was unable to.

He reluctantly flew out of the room and into the hallway. He knew Harry would probably be teaching his Charms class, so he flew there. Osiris would ask Harry to sit with Hermione, and then he would go ask Albus to fetch Madam Pomfrey.

As Osiris flew into the Charms classroom, Harry looked up. Knowing that Osiris’ true nature was to be kept a secret from most of the population, he did not say anything out loud. He had been told the only way to communicate with Snape’s cousin was through Legilimency, so Harry allowed himself to hear Osiris’ thoughts as the Animagus perched himself on the windowsill of the classroom and looked towards Harry.

“Harry, you have to come quick. Hermione is in labor, she needs someone to help her until Madam Pomfrey can get to her rooms!”

Harry looked at the class.

“Class, I’ve just remembered that I need to do something for the Headmaster. You are dismissed.” Harry walked quickly out of the classroom, and then down to the dungeons.

Osiris followed him, and then stopped just as he reached the bottom of the stairs. He thought he heard a thumping sound coming from the farthest end of the hall, where Mr. Filch had his room. Letting his curiosity get the better of him, he flew in that direction. He landed on the ground and put his head against the door from which he had heard the noises coming. He immediately heard a scraggly sounding meow. ‘I’d know that meow anywhere,’ he thought.

“Crooks, is that you?” he asked.

“Osiris, get me out of here! I think this crazy bastard is going to kill me!”

Osiris apparated into the room, then looked up.

“How the hell did he get a hold of you?” Osiris asked, as he flew up and began picking at the knot with his beak. He had a hard time untying the knot, since he couldn’t stop laughing.

“Obviously I wasn’t being my usually stealthy self. Will you stop laughing? This is quite uncomfortable.” Crookshanks started wiggling around, hoping it would make the knot come loose.

“Stop moving around! You’re making it harder!” said Osiris, with a beak full of rope.

“Can’t you spell something up? You’re supposed to be this amazing bird wizard, or so you keep boasting.”

“And what should I do? Maybe I should conjure up a pair of scissors, or perhaps a knife? Just how the hell would I hold it, moron?” He kept picking at the net, and then stopped. “Wait, I know. Deliquesco!" Instantly the net disappeared, and down went Crookshanks.

“Oomph!” Crookshanks spun himself around in mid-air, but the drop was too fast and he landed on his belly, “I don’t suppose a warning would have been too much to ask?”

“Sorry. I thought cats always landed on their feet, not ass akimbo and sprawled out on the floor.”

“Next time, let me know you’re going to do something before you do it? Especially if it means my coming into contact with hard surfaces,” Crookshanks complained as he shook himself off, then looked around the room. “Ugh! This place is horrible, it smells like…”

“Ass,” finished Osiris. “Come on, let’s get out of here before Filch gets back. We have to get Albus and fast!” Osiris hopped up on Crookshanks, then apparated the two of them out of the room and into the upper halls. As luck would have it, Albus was walking in their direction and immediately spotted them.

“I take it Hermione is in the midst of labor pains?” he asked, as he popped a lemon drop in his mouth.

“I don’t suppose you can tell me when this constipation of mine will let up? Is there anything that goes on inside this castle you don’t know about?” Osiris snarked at the Headmaster. Albus laughed, as he was quite used to Osiris’ charming personality. “Harry is with her.”

“I’ve already alerted Poppy, and I think perhaps you should go and bring Severus back,” said Albus as he smiled.

“Oh, I almost forgot about him. I’m off then. I’ll see you all in a bit.” Osiris flew off to the apparition point outside the Hogwarts castle. He re-appeared just outside the Snape estate in Wiltshire, and then flew off to search the area, hoping he remembered where the old Malfoy estate was. Than again, all he had to do was look for the creepiest old house in the area. He had visited the Malfoy house once with Severus, and he would never forget how badly he wanted to leave from the moment he stepped into it. Osiris could literally feel the evil coat every inch of his body. He shuddered a bit, as he remembered. He continued flying for several minutes until he spotted the Malfoy home. It seemed as though the work Severus had been helping Lucius with was effective, since the house did not look as old and filthy as it did the last time Osiris saw it.

Inside the house, Severus and Lucius were sitting in the library, drinking glasses of brandy. Draco had just gone home, having finished with his part of the cleaning. It had taken all of them five sixteen-hour days to finally get rid of all of the evil and dark magic, which had festered in the home for so many years. There was now an open feeling about the home; it felt fresh and new, and Lucius couldn’t wait to move in with his new family.

“I can’t thank you enough for all of your help. Draco and I would never have been able to do this ourselves in such a short time,” Lucius said as he sat back against his chair, looking over at Severus.

“I’m glad I could help. I’m happy to see you have left behind all that hate you had inside of you, Lucius,” Severus smiled and took a sip from his glass.

“I never expected to live through that war. I truly thought that I would have died on the battlefield, or worse, that the Dark Lord would have killed me,” Lucius said thoughtfully, “You were lucky to turn away when you did. You saved yourself many years of meaningless hate and torment.”

Severus shook his head. “It wasn’t luck, I just realized he was insane sooner than you did.”

As they both finished their drinks, Lucius spotted a black raven outside the window.

“Osiris is here,” Lucius said as he got up and opened the window.

Osiris’ true identity had been a secret for many years. But, after Severus and Hermione married, Osiris had asked Severus to tell a select few who he really was. Most of the population thought he was only a bird, but he felt he wanted to be part of the world again. He had asked Severus to inform those whom he considered to be friends and family. Much to his relief, he was accepted and treated as a normal person, who just happened to have been cursed to live as a bird for the rest of his life. The minute Lucius opened the window; Osiris hopped onto the windowsill and spared no time telling Severus, as delicately as he could, why he was there.

“Severus, Hermione’s about to pop any minute. You have to come now before she ruins the Oriental in the living room!!” he said, flapping his wings wildly.

“Is she all right? Did you leave her with Poppy?” Severus asked as he got up and walked towards Osiris.

“Harry was with her when I left, but Albus had sent for Poppy, so I’m guessing Hermione is being taken care of.”

“Lucius, I have to leave, Hermione is in labor,” Severus said as he grabbed Osiris and went to the fireplace.

“Yes, of course. We are finished here. Thank you, Severus. Please, let me know how everything goes.” Lucius bade him good-bye.

“Hogwarts, Severus Snape’s quarters!” Severus said as he grabbed a handful of floo powder. He was consumed by the flames, and re-appeared in the living room of his quarters. He stepped out of the fireplace, and looked around the room. Harry was sitting on the couch with Pansy, as she held little Raven. Albus was standing beside his desk and talking with Minerva, and Crookshanks was sitting on the coffee table.

“How is she?” asked Severus, as he put Osiris down on the table next to Crookshanks.

Albus walked up to him and placed his hand on Severus’ shoulder. “We have been waiting for you, dear boy. Hermione wanted you to be the first one to see your new daughter.” He patted Severus on the back and let him walk past him.

Severus walked to the bedroom, followed by Crookshanks and Osiris. He opened the door, and saw Hermione sitting up holding their daughter in her arms. She hadn’t noticed him coming in, until Poppy got up from her chair and moved towards the door. The mediwitch let herself out and closed the door, as Severus sat down next to Hermione on the bed.

“I missed you,” said Hermione, as she placed her hand softly against his cheek. He took hold of her hand and kissed her palm.

“Not as much as I missed you, love.” he leaned into her slightly and kissed her lips, then looked down at his daughter. The baby’s hair was dark brown, and he could see the beginnings of tiny curls; her eyes looked like they would be brown. “Hello, little one.” Severus traced her tiny face lightly with his finger, as she made cooing sounds. He then carefully took her small hands in his fingers and smiled.

“Isn’t she beautiful, Severus?” Hermione looked at Severus.

“She certainly is,” he said, as he stared at his daughter in awe.

“Looks like we won’t be getting much sleep for a while,” said Crookshanks.

“We? Who are you kidding? You could sleep through Armageddon,” answered Osiris.

“Well, darling wife, what shall we name her?” Severus was curious as to what his wife would come up with this time.

“How do you like the name, Katrina Saffron Snape?” She smiled, and noted Severus’ eyebrow arch up.

He turned and looked at Osiris and Crookshanks. “Raven and Kat. Why not?” said Severus, as he laughed.

The next morning, as Severus was walking to his first class, Albus approached him.

“Good morning, Severus. I trust Hermione and the baby are doing well this morning?” the Headmaster asked.

“Yes, thank you. They are both doing fine. Hermione is still a bit tired, so if you don’t mind, I’d like to take the afternoons off for the rest of the week. I don’t want her to tire herself out.”

“Yes, of course, that will be fine. I will take over your classes,” said Albus, as Severus walked past him. Just before Severus reached the stairs, Albus called to him, “By the way, Severus, you haven’t seen Mr. Filch this morning, have you?”

Severus shook his head.

“No, Albus, I have not. If you will excuse me.” He turned and walked towards the DADA classroom, not letting Albus see the smile that threatened to reveal itself.

As Albus turned and walked down the hall, he wondered where Mr. Filch had gone. He knew the caretaker wasn’t inside the castle, but could not imagine where the man could be.

It was several hours later that Hagrid found Mr. Filch, trapped in a net that was hanging off the branch of a large Elm tree. The caretaker had one leg dangling out of the net, and his head was turned in a very uncomfortable position. He claimed not to have seen his assailant. But, from that day on, he avoided Severus whenever possible. Mrs. Norris was never bothered again, and he saw little of Crookshanks and Osiris as well.

The previous night, after Severus found out that Crookshanks had been strung up on his way to get help for Hermione, he was livid, then decided he would teach Mr. Filch a lesson of his own. After all, nobody messed with his family. Severus did, however, forbid Osiris and Crookshanks from ever again going near Mrs. Norris; and he told them to find another pastime. Like annoying the Charms professor.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Deliquesco, means disappear in Latin.

I've got one more short story. Then I will begin posting the longer sequel.