Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

My First Day at Hogwarts by music_is_magic

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Disclaimer: This whole world is J.K Rowlings. All I did was add a few characters and affect the lives of some of hers. But it is all still based on the books by J.K Rowling, so I can take no credit.
Application for position on Daily Prophet

I am aware that this is not one of the things needed for the application, but I added this essay to give you an example of my creative writing.
~Maria Dearly.


My First Day at Hogwarts
By Maria Dearly


I remember my first day at Hogwarts as if it were only yesterday, instead of seven years ago.

The sky was blue, the birds were singing and the atmosphere in my home seemed to scream, “Something’s happening!”

I woke at 4:15 exactly in the morning, dressed in my Muggle clothes and ran down stairs like a mad girl.

To my surprise, I was the last awake. My mother tutted when she saw me, attempting to look like her normal, strict self.

“Maria, do not run down the stairs so wildly. It is not graceful, and you are of a higher standing then that,” my mother said without emotion. I hastily smoothed out the creases in my blouse and sat down with as much grace as I could muster. My mother nodded in acknowledgment of my effort, and our maid Jessica put some food on the table, smiling at me.

“Thank you Jessica,” I said, before turning to my younger brother Marcus. “What are you doing up so early?” I asked him. He looked extremely tired, having stayed up late watching television. Marcus blushed.

“I wanted to get up early to “ to go to London with Dad,” he said, and I laughed. It was obvious that he had gotten out of bed early to see me get ready to go to Hogwarts.

But of course he would never admit that.

My mother looked at Marcus, confused. “Marcus, your father is not going to London today. He has already left to go to Hogsmeade, to visit a friend. Surely you knew that? You were awake when he left.”

My father is an important Ministry Official, so it was rare for him to get a day off work. “Why didn’t he wait to see me leave?” I asked, rather hurt that my father hadn’t even said farewell.

My mother smiled at me. “Don’t worry Maria, your father will see you when you get off the train in Hogsmeade.”

That thought comforted me slightly, and I spent the morning in my excited state. If I had known of what happened when I met my father at Hogsmeade, I might not have been so pleased. But by the time my mother’s driver took us to Kings Cross Station, I was euphoric. My mother looked rather teary, so I kissed her on the cheek and said a hurried goodbye. It didn’t really matter, as my mother had to rush off to some tea party.

I went through the barrier with ease, having seen a similar one elsewhere. Platform Nine and Three -Quarters was filled with students, saying goodbye to their family and chatting animatedly with their friends.

I wandered through the crowd, dragging my trunk behind me with effort. I had convinced my mother not to send a servant to carry my trunk to the train, but I was regretting it now.

After much agony I finally got my trunk on the train, and began to walk down the corridor, looking for an empty compartment.

I found on at the back of the train, with only one girl in it. The girl was stunning, she had long, red hair that fell with a grace I could never achieve, and her eyes were the most brilliant green I had ever seen.

“Hello. May I sit here please?” I asked the girl, who smiled kindly at me.

“Sure! My name is Lily Evans. What is yours?” she asked. I smiled nervously, sitting down. “My name is Maria Dearly. Nice to meet you,” I said.

And so begun my strong friendship with Lily Evans. By the end of the train ride, we were the best of friends, inseparable.

It was only when our families came up in the conversation that I sensed tension. The train was nearly at the station, and we had begun to talk about houses.

“I’ll probably be in Slytherin,” I said sadly. “My whole family have. What house were your parents in?” I asked. Lily looked a bit embarrassed.

“My parents, my whole family in fact, are Muggles,” she said, and I stared, surprised and disappointed. I did not care that Lily was Muggleborn, but I knew that my parents would.

Before I could speak, the train stopped. We got off, and I informed Lily that my father would be at Hogsmeade.

I glanced around, before spotting my father, who was waving at me. I ran over, beckoning Lily to follow.

I smiled at my father, who hugged me quickly and stiffly. “Hello darling,” he said, and I felt like I hadn’t seen him in years, when I had seen him only last night at supper. I looked curiously at the man and young woman beside him with interest.

My father smiled jovially. “This is Rolph, and his daughter. Rolph owns the local pub, and his daughter helps out.”

I felt a little confused by the fact that my father did not mention the woman’s name, but I pushed my confusion aside. “This is my friend Lily Evans,” I said, gesturing at Lily, who smiled nervously.

“Nice to meet you sir,” she said, and my father stared at her thoughtfully.

“I haven’t heard of your family. Where does your father work? St Mungos? The Ministry?”

Lily froze for a moment. “My parents are Muggles,” she said quietly. I stared at my father, who looked like he had been clubbed over the head. I lost my temper then.

“Come on Lily,” I said coldly, not looking at my father. We walked over to the boats.

Lily and I sat in silence for the journey to Hogwarts, staring into the depths of the lake. Finally I spoke. “I’m sorry Lily. My father regards blood types highly. He is small minded.”

A boy sitting near us looked over. “So is my mother,” he said with venom, and I stared at him. He was extremely good looking, and I felt my heart leap. “Hello, I am Maria Dearly,” I murmured. He grinned. “Sirius Black. And this is James Potter,” he pointed at the messy haired boy beside him, who was staring, dumbstruck, at Lily. Lily looked at James, raising an eyebrow.

We had a brilliant night after that. I was, to my surprise and pleasure, sorted into Gryffindor with Lily, James and Sirius. I tried to push my parent’s anger to the back of my mind, and I was comforted to know that Sirius would also have a chance of receiving a Howler regarding his house.

And, surprise, surprise, we both got a Howler.

The feast was delicious, and I made quite a few friends. Remus and Peter joined James and Sirius, and they have all been friends ever since. To my amusement and Lily’s annoyance, James spent the whole feast trying to impress her, though it made her dislike him even more.

As I fell asleep, I thought about my amazing day, Sirius, and all the happiness I felt.

Now, seven years later I am about to finish at Hogwarts, and hopefully become a reporter for the Daily Prophet, where I would achieve my life dream of writing for such a brilliant newspaper (Hint to whoever is reading this essay and deciding my fate.)

I dated Sirius for a while, but we decided that we should concentrate on our futures and it was better if we were apart.

I eventually reconciled everything with my father, but I don’t really have much to do with my family anymore. Well, at least they haven’t taken me off the family tree, unlike Sirius.

So my life has turned out all right, and I am now looking straight ahead towards a great and productive future. But I have to say that my first day at Hogwarts was what turned my life around.

The End