Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Unwritten by Moony 62442

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: It all belongs to J.K. Rowling, not me. The song isn’t mine either. Darnit. All I do own is my imagination… and my computer, but that is a given. Anyway! This one is dedicated to Tagidi Riva, a wonderful friend and amazing person. You are truly awesome, and don’t you ever forget it! Everyone enjoy and I hope you will leave a review!


It had been two months. It had been two months since the end of the war; two months since the end of Voldemort at the hands of Harry Potter. In that time, the Wizarding World had begun to rebuild and thrive. Even the Muggle World noticed a change in the atmosphere: it was warm and bright, unlike the last couple of years had been. The peace was something that no one took for granted anymore; who knew if it would be there tomorrow?

The ones who had fought in the war had gone back to their normal lives, making sure to live every day to the fullest. Remus Lupin and Nymphadora Tonks had gotten married immediately after the war; it had been a small affair, but a happier one than had been seen in a long time. Fred and George Weasley were becoming the most successful businessmen to date. Bill and Fleur were expecting twin girls, both privately hoping that they were nothing like the twins when it came to mischief-making. Ron had proposed to Hermione about a week after the Final Battle and they were going to be married the following summer.

The Weasley name was made one of the most renowned names in the Wizarding World. Mr. Weasley, Bill, Charlie, Fred, George, and Ron had all been issued an Order of Merlin, First Class each. The Ministry of Magic had given the family two million galleons for special services during the war, making them one of the richest families in the Wizarding World, even more so than the Malfoys had been. They had completely restored the Burrow and were now living quite comfortably. Percy, who had helped his family quite a bit during the last months of the war, had rejoined the family and was not nearly as pompous and overbearing as he had formerly been. Hermione was awarded with one million galleons, as well as an offer to teach at Hogwarts after finishing school.

Harry had become, to his dismay, even more popular in the magical community. He had been awarded three million galleons and an Order of Merlin, First Class, not to mention fame the likes of which no other wizard or witch had ever had.

Harry had always been unusual, though, and now was no exception. While everyone was overjoyed at the end of an era of darkness, he felt numb to it all. To him, the life that he had once led had been taken from him. He was happy that Voldemort was gone, of course, but it was so different now. His whole life had been focused around destroying Voldemort for so long that living without the threat of being attacked at random was almost unnerving. He pondered this as he sat at the desk in his flat in London, a quill, ink, and parchment in front of him.

He had been meaning to do this for a while but hadn’t found the time until this moment. He and Ginny still hadn’t sorted out their relationship, still caught up in the excitement of the end of the war. Now, he knew that he couldn’t put it off anymore. So, opening the window and letting a bit of the rainy drizzle into the room, he looked up from the parchment to see the sun start to shine through the clouds. Smiling slightly, he picked up the quill and stared at the parchment, trying to find the right words for what he wanted to say.

I am unwritten, can’t read my mind, I’m undefined
I’m just beginning, the pen’s in my hand, ending unplanned
Staring at the blank page before you
Open up the dirty window
Let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find


This was a lot harder than he had originally thought it would be. But, how could it be so hard to just say how he felt? And it wasn’t even as if he was telling her to her face. The words were so close, but he couldn’t seem to get them to work on paper. In fact, the wastebasket in the corner was full of and surrounded by balls of parchment: the failed attempts at telling Ginny how he felt.

He put down the quill and took to pacing instead, stopping for a moment to absentmindedly stroke Hedwig’s feathers. Why was this so difficult? After all, he had faced the most dangerous wizard in history just a couple of months ago; this should be easy for him. And yet, he found himself becoming more and more confused as to what to say with each passing moment.

A sudden knock on the door stopped him in his pacing. Blinking confusedly, he made his way slowly to the door, opening it to find quite a surprise on the other side.

A bit shocked and confused, Harry stammered, “G-Ginny?”

Reaching for something in the distance
So close you can almost taste it
Release your inhibitions
Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten


“Hi, Harry,” Ginny responded, tucking a strand of her slightly wet, red hair behind her ear and smiling gently at him. “Can I… I mean, would it be okay if I came in?” She didn’t know why she was suddenly so shy; this was Harry, after all. Though, she had to admit that it was a bit improper to have asked to come in. Oh well, she thought determinedly. We have to talk sometime.

Nodding silently, Harry stepped aside for her to walk in. It was absolutely amazing; he was supposed to be this powerful wizard who had defeated the greatest dark wizard of the age, but he couldn’t even talk to Ginny properly anymore. So much for everyone’s perfect hero… He cleared his throat as she put her wet coat on the chair that he had just recently vacated. “Er… can I get you anything?” It sounded formal and foreign to his ears and he inwardly cringed. How could he not even know how to talk to her? He had known her for years.

Smiling, Ginny shook her head. “No, I’m fine. Thanks, though.” A few moments passed in uncomfortable silence, neither looking at the other, much less speaking. The only sounds in the room were Hedwig’s hoots and the wind coming through the still open window, blowing the parchment on the desk onto the floor.

I break tradition, sometimes my tries, are outside the lines
We’ve been conditioned to not make mistakes, but I can’t live that way
Staring at the blank page before you
Open up the dirty window
Let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find


Finally, Ginny broke the silence. “I haven’t seen you for a while. How are you?” The truth was that she had been worried about him. He hadn’t written to Ron or Hermione, and that was always a bad sign. Of course, she didn’t know it, but he had been trying to write the letter to her in that time.

Shrugging slightly, Harry replied, “I’m alright. How about you?” We are making small talk? When did that happen? Right now, he was even more confused than when he had opened the door in the first place. Trying to adopt a more normal tone, he said, “Why are you here, Ginny?” He knew that something was up, just not what.

She sighed, looking him in the eye. “I was worried. No one has heard from you, Harry. What’s up?” She was glad to be talking to him the way they had before the war had ended; the formal conversation was beginning to grate on her nerves.

Shaking his head, Harry said, “Nothing. Just been busy is all.” It wasn’t a complete lie, anyway. He had been busy when Ginny had entered. Right now, he just wanted to crawl into a hole somewhere. If he couldn’t say what he needed to in a letter, how could he possibly say it to her in person? He opened his mouth a few times, no sound emerging. Ginny giggled, taking pity on him.

“Do you want to go outside for a bit? Take a walk or something?”

He looked at her, blinking in astonishment. A moment ago, she wanted to know what he had been up to. Now, she wanted to go for a walk. In the rain. “Er… It’s raining outside. You want to go for a walk now?”

She nodded, smiling and putting on her coat. “Yeah. Come on, let’s go.” Waiting as he got his coat, she noticed the parchment on the floor and picked it up, placing it back on the desk. Harry came back and the two left the flat and walked out into the semi-light. It was raining a bit harder now, but they took no mind of it as they began to walk down the sidewalk.

Reaching for something in the distance
So close you can almost taste it
Release your inhibitions
Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins


Looking up at the cloudy sky, Ginny finally spoke. “Harry, have you thought about us at all? I mean, now that Voldemort is gone…” she trailed off, not sure why she had just blurted that out.

Harry thought about his answer carefully before replying. “Well,” he started slowly, “yeah, I’ve thought about it. I was trying to write to you earlier, but you showed up before I could finish.”

Ginny didn’t comment on the fact that she had seen that the parchment he had apparently tried writing on had been blank. Instead, she concentrated on what he had said. “Oh. And what were you going to write?”

Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten


Smiling slightly at the anxious tone of her voice, Harry said, “Well, now that Voldemort’s gone, what’s to stand in the way?” He said this rather fast, but he was sure that she heard it. Slowing down a bit, he said, “I only broke up with you to keep him from finding out about you. Now that he isn’t here to find out…” he trailed off too, not sure what to say. Ginny, though, found the right words.

“So, you don’t mind anymore?” she asked hopefully, trying to sound nonchalant and failing miserably. The weather reflected her mood as the sun was now peaking through the clouds on the horizon. Harry chuckled beside her.

“Apparently not,” he said, looking at her. “It isn’t too dangerous or too risky anymore.”

That was when Ginny grinned; it was her first true grin since the end of the war.

Staring at the blank page before you
Open up the dirty window
Let the sun illuminate the words that you could not find


Harry grinned in response, taking her hand and continuing on their walk as the steady rain began to get heavier. Neither of them took any notice of it, though. To them, the sun was shining and there wasn’t a cloud in the sky.

Reaching for something in the distance
So close you can almost taste it
Release your inhibitions
Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins


The two walked slowly back to Harry’s flat, soaking wet without even realizing it. They walked inside, completely ignoring the desk, and moved into the parlor to talk. They spent the rest of the night there, just talking and listening to the sounds of the rain. The parchment lay on the desk, utterly forgotten.

Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten

The rest is still unwritten

The rest is still unwritten





And there you have it! I hope you enjoyed that refreshing bit of romance. Thanks for reading and please review!
~Moony