Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Without you, I'm nothing by Clare Mansfield

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thank you for reading and reviewing. I love hearing what you guys think!

As it begins to rain James and Sirius go in search of their favourite victim in the form of Severus Snape

xxx
The corridors of Hogwarts were full; when it was raining the halls were always packed with pupils of all shapes and sizes, sporting the colours of their houses and chattering excitedly. Remus watched James puff his chest out importantly as he passed a group of third-year Gryffindor boys; their eyes were immediately drawn to the familiar sight of the boy with black hair and glasses, and a gold and red Quidditch shirt that was splattered with mud.

“How did the practice go, Potter?” a wiry, blonde-haired boy named Rex Walters asked enthusiastically, bobbing up and down. James flung his arms wide and with a cocky smile he shrugged and said, “It’s was alright. I don’t think we’ll have any real problems on Thursday.”

“Yeah!” said another of the third-year Gryffindor boys viciously, “I bet old Ravenclaw won’t be much of a challenge. Just make sure you go easy on them though…to begin with…give them a sporting chance.” James winked and sighed as if this subject bored him. Remus knew otherwise, however; there was nothing James liked more than strutting proudly past in his Quidditch shirt, attracting the attention of enthusiastic third-years. Remus listened to the careful false modesty James applied as he spoke; his arrogance subdued only slightly to encourage the compliments of others. James had a knack of teasing things out of people; whether they were aware of it or not, he always managed to get them to say what he wanted to hear.

“What do you think, Sirius?” James suddenly said, interrupting the monotony of his own voice, and directing the young Gryffindors’ attention to the Chaser by his side. Yet Sirius said nothing to encourage their praise further; his eyes were fixed on someone who had just scurried out of one of the classrooms, a pile of books in his hands. As Sirius nodded in their direction, Remus’ heart sank to see Severus Snape struggling under the weight of his books, his black eyes barely visible over the top of the pile. Remus turned, hopeful that the third-years would offer more words of praise to distract James and Sirius from their prey. But the Gryffindors had wandered off and, as Remus turned back round, he saw to his horror that James and Sirius were already striding towards Snape.

“Please can we not do this today,” Remus began desperately attempting to catch up with them.

Sirius’ voice was hard, his eyes fixed on the back of Snape’s greasy head as he snapped back at Remus, “Come on, Moony, you won’t deny us a little fun, now will you?”

James grinned and before Remus could say another word James and Sirius had a hand on each of Snape’s shoulders, spinning him round so quickly that the books fell from his hands and scattered across the floor. Snape’s face was white with anger, his eyes flashing as he struggled helplessly under the pressure that Sirius and James were now applying.

“I’m warning you…” Snape’s voice was shaking as he hissed through his teeth. “I’m warning you, if you touch me I’ll…”

Accio wand,” James said suddenly and Remus saw the way Snape’s face dropped as he watched his wand fly out from his robes and into James’ hand. “You’ll do what? Hex us?”

Snape hissed as James and Sirius laughed, pushing him further back until they had pressed him squarely against the wall. Remus followed, frantically attempting to come between them as he said frantically, “Look, just leave it now…it’s not right…”

“Oh yes, Remus - I forgot that it’s you that sets the standards by which we are all to judge what is wrong and what is right!” Sirius gushed venomously, his grey eyes burning at Remus momentarily before he once again turned his attentions to Snape.

“What do you think, Prongs?” Sirius said, his lips forming the cruel smirk that Remus so despised. Turning his eyes from the pair, he could imagine that Sirius had raised his wand and was now pressing it menacingly into Snape’s sallow cheek, his eyes slitted in amusement as he addressed James. “Do you think we need to perform a little Engorgement Charm?”

Remus’ head snapped back round and sure enough Sirius had his wand to Snape’s face, his eyes dancing merrily as he waited for James to give the order. James said nothing for a moment; his eyes were fixed on the greasy youth, who had turned a dangerous shade of white and was trembling slightly as he said, “It’s nice to see that you still have to ask your wife for permission.”

The laughter from James’ eyes dulled slightly and Sirius tried to ignore the blush that Remus could see spreading across his cheeks. He responded by digging the wand more painfully into his face, and Snape winced before saying sharply, “Forgive me…I forgot that you’re married to Lupin….”

As he said this Sirius pulled his arm back, his wand firmly fixed on the target of Snape’s nose. Remus saw the way Sirius’ grey eyes danced with fury as they locked with Snape’s, whose face had become almost immobile with rage.

“Sirius, no!” Remus shouted, but his words were lost as, with a concentrated anger Sirius, commanded, “Engorgio!

Both James and Sirius stepped back, releasing their hold on Snape, who fell swiftly to the floor, his black hair falling in front of his face and his hands clasped to his nose which had, already, begun to grow. At once, Remus was on his knees beside him, his hands instinctively moving to pull Snape’s, but the other boy scurried backwards, his robes flurrying around him as he hissed, “Don’t you dare touch me! Don’t you dare!”

Remus pulled back, allowing Snape to get a fair distance away to stand up before he too rose to his feet, his eyes fixed on Sirius and James.

“Why? Every time…”

James was giggling insanely but Sirius’ face was completely devoid of humour as he answered, “Because he deserves it. It’s enough that he pollutes the hallways with his stench.”

“Well, you’d be the first one to know about pollution, wouldn’t you?” Snape said, his voice muffled by the hands that were obscuring his face. Sirius’ eyes turned to the Slytherin, who was sidling ever so slightly towards them. James had stopped laughing. “Yes, I bet your parents were so proud… their precious son being sorted into Gryffindor. Sometimes it makes me sick just to look at you. To think a family like yours could produce something as…” Snape paused, his voice caressing the words as he ended, “degenerate as you.”

Sirius started forward almost at once, his face contorting, his eyes narrowed at the boy who had just insulted him. At once Remus flung himself between them, his body forming a barrier, preventing Sirius from advancing. Sirius struggled against him, attempting to force his way past, but it was no use; Remus was deceptively strong and he dug his heels firmly in. Sirius’ face was hot with fury as he snapped at Snape over Remus’ shoulder, “How dare you talk to me about my parents!” Remus remained firm, his body rigid against Sirius’, who was floundering desperately in his attempts to get past.

“Piss off, Moony!” he snapped hotly, but Remus simply shook his head. James stepped forward and placed his hands on Sirius’ shoulders, firmly pulling him from Remus with the words, “It’s not worth it, Padfoot…”

Remus stood aside, giving James greater control over Sirius. Snape stood watching, his eyes black, his chest heaving, his nose still growing. Remus studied Snape carefully, noticing the way his eyes moved from himself to the sight of James restraining Sirius. Overcome with guilt, Remus stepped forward and, without giving James and Sirius enough time to protest, he took out his wand and mumbled the counter curse to Sirius’ engorgement charm. At once, Snape’s nose began to shrink. Sirius laughed mirthlessly as he stepped away from James, his hands raised. He was not going to do anything more.

“Scrapping in the corridors…” Snape hissed smoothly, his eyes fixed on Sirius’ red face. James allowed Sirius to step forward, as he, too, slowly approached. Remus stood poised, ready to spring in between them once more.

“I expected more of you, Remus.” Snape articulated his name carefully and it caused him to shudder; so much coldness seemed to lurk just behind it. “There were some who believed that your position as a Prefect would have a positive influence on the company you keep. Needless to say, I was unconvinced.”

“Leave Remus out of this,” James said slowly, his eyes fixed on the Slytherin boy whose eyes now snapped to James’. Snape said nothing in response and for a moment Remus watched the hatred boil between them; James’ shoulders were rising and falling rapidly as Snape’s face remained frozen. The tension grew unbearable Remus could hardly watch…yet he could not find it within himself to tear his eyes away. It was Snape who finally that blinked first and, turning to where Sirius was stood frozen, watching, he said smoothly, “My wand…if you don’t mind.”

Remus watched Sirius’ grey eyes turn thunderous, his face shrouded by with now dry dark hair. Sirius took the wand from James, who, like Remus, was watching Sirius intently, both of them surprised by how steady his hand was when he held out the wand to Snape - yet as Snape reached out to take it, Sirius allowed the wand to slip through his fingers and clatter to the slabs below. Remus gulped hard as he watched the smirk engulf Sirius’ features; watched the pale, calm fury spark within Snape’s black eyes as he stooped to pick the wand up.

As he straightened and slid his wand back into his robes, Snape paused, something dangerous crossing his face as he hissed at James, “You should really be more careful in choosing your targets from now on. Those who are powerless do not always remain so.”

“You don’t frighten me with your empty threats, Snivellus.”

Snape’s mouth twitched at the insult, but he didn’t respond. His eyes twinkled dangerously and, before he turned to leave he said, “And that will always be your first mistake.”