Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Harry Potter and the Balancers of Death: Book 6 by jparan1

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter 3- Family

Harry walked towards the front door of number 12 Grimmauld Place, carrying Hedwig in her cage. The front exterior remained as Harry remembered it. Harry could barely see through the dirt ridden windows or could he stand to look at its stained block outer walls. He walked up to the huge black door and grasped the silver knocker that had the shape of a twisted serpent. He gave a loud three knocks before he wiped his hand of the knocker's filth. A moment later, the door opened to reveal a smiling Molly Weasley. She was wearing a white apron with red rose pattern throughout. It almost match the red in her cheeks. She grabbed Harry in a tight hug, gushing over him. "Oh Harry, have you been eating at all! You're skin and bones. We'll fix that up, lunch should be ready shortly. Oh Harry , its so good to have you back." Molly beamed.
"Its good to be back, Mrs. Weasley" Harry replied getting one last squeeze in before letting her go. "Where is everyone?"
"Ginny, Ron, and Hermione are up stairs" Mrs. Weasley turned from Harry toward the stairs and yelled, "Ron, Ginny, Hermione! Harry is here. Come help him with his stuff…NOW!" She turned back to Harry and smiled.
Dumbledore placed all of Harry's belongings at the bottom of the stairs. He greeted Molly with a smile as he walked to the kitchen with her. A moment later, Ron and Hermione raced down the stairs. Hermione leaped on to Harry and gave in a huge hug. "Oh Harry, how are you? How is everything? Have you thought of what your OWLs might be?"
Ron rolled his eyes while breaking the two apart and giving Harry a brotherly hug. "Hiya Harry, don't mind her, she won't shut up about O.W.Ls." Ron whispered. "How have you been?" Ron said in a concerned voice.
Harry looked at the both of the them noticing both wearing muggle clothing. Hermione in a white tee shirt and dark blue jeans with her hair in a ponytail. Ron in a green Hawaiian shirt and long kaki shorts. He also noticed that Ron looked about one inch taller than the last time he saw them, which was only a month ago.
"I'm fine, just been thinking a lot." He said to both of them. "Hey why does this place look so much cleaner?" Harry noticed. The floors all shined and the stairs were not grimy, you could actually see the white marble underneath. All the pictures and paintings were up right and all of the cobwebs that were once there had been removed.
Hermione spoke up first, "Dumbledore had Dobby come over a few weeks ago, to help Mrs. Weasley out. He has been hard at work since."
This made Harry think of the Noble House of Black's previous resident elf. He began to burn up thinking about that treacherous house elf. "Where is Krecher?" Harry asked motioning that he would blast him the first time he sees him.
"Don't worry mate," Ron said calming Harry, "that nutter's dead."
"Oh, Ron" Hermione complained, "don't be so insensitive!"
"What? He deserves to be dead. I just wish it could have been me that had the honor of disposing of him." Ron replied curtly.
"How did it happen?" Harry asked before World War 3 began.
Hermione frowned at Ron before she began, "Lupin told us that when the portrait of Phineas Nigellus informed the portrait of the Widow Black, she order Krecher to cut off his head. He did exactly that. She has been quite ever since."
"Good thing too, or I would've cut his head off myself," Ron said in defiance of Hermione's dark glare. "Harry agrees with me, don't cha' Harry?"
"Yeah, Hermione, Krecher betrayed Sirius, and now look what happened." Harry said with anger raising in his voice. "A lot of things would be different if it wasn't for that stupid elf."
"OH, Harry Potter is here. " Dobby said joyously, as he appeared through the kitchen door. Harry was startled by his sudden appearance. But what was more startling was his appearance. Dobby wore a red sock on his right foot, a green and white stripe sock on his left, a blue sock on his right hand, and a purple one with gold stars on his left. He was wearing an old pillow case for a shirt with a rope for a belt. And to top it all off, he had two of Hermione's knit caps on top of his head. "Is Harry Potter mad at Dobby?"
"Oh no, Dobby," Harry replied, "I was talking about Krecher. I was telling Hermione that he cause a lot of trouble."
"Oh yes, Dobby knows how he betrayed Mr. Sirius." Dobby nodded to Harry.
Harry smiled and asked, "Dobby, why do you have socks on your hands?"
Dobby looked at both of his hands remembering he indeed had socks on them, "Oh, Dobby wears socks on his hands when helping Mrs. Weezy in the kitchen. The stop Dobby's fingers from burning on the hot pots and pans."
"He kept allowing himself to get burned while helping her," added Ron. "She had enough of it and told him to do something about it. He kept saying Mom was as kind as the 'Great Harry Potter'."
Dobby grew embarrassed at the story but he helped carry all of Harry's things to his room upstairs. He would be sharing a room with Ron while Ginny and Hermione shared the room accoss the hall.
Harry caught a glimpse of Ginny as he passed by her room. She was brushing her long Weasley red hair. She too had grown since Harry last seen here. She was wearing a green button down shirt with red lace on the front and a pair of blue jeans. She caught Harry's eyes and made her way to him. She wrapped her arms around his neck and gave him a welcoming kiss on the cheek. Harry turn a shade red by this but smiled nonetheless.
"How are you Harry?" Ginny said excitingly.
"I'm fine, " Harry replied, breaking from her hug, " what took you so long?"
"Oh you know us girls." Ginny said with a wink to Hermione.
"Ginny, trust me I don't know anything about girls." Harry joked, "just ask Hermione. Hermione nodded in agreement.
Molly called the group down to lunch a few minutes later. Ron caught Harry up on Chudley Cannons' 7 game losing streak during lunch. Hermione and Ginny gossiped with Molly about Arthur meeting the England's muggle royal family. "Ginny I have to bring you some pictures of the princes" Hermione giggled, "they are so cute."
After lunch, Ginny, Ron, and Hermione helped Harry unpack his things. Harry was waiting for a moment alone with them to ask them a bunch of questions.
"So, whats been going on with the Order?" Harry whispered to them, checking to see if anyone was at the door.
"Well, mate," Ron replied, "not much. Every thing has been quite with V-Voldemort and nothing has been in the Daily Prophet…"
"So, you're finally saying his name." Harry said with a hint of pride in his voice.
"Well, yeah," Ron said embarrassingly, "I figure if I am going to be fighting Death Eaters and V-Voldemort, I might as well. It seems like we are destined to do so with all the trouble we get in with them." Ron turned to empty Harry's trunk, grabbing for his broom polishing kit. "Harry can I borrow this?"
"Sure." Harry answered. "Anything else going on?"
"Not really." Ron replied.
Hermione looked at Ron with a bit of shock. "How can you say nothing is going on?" Ron there is plenty."
"The Daily Prophet hasn't said anything major and it doesn't seem that the Order knows anymore." Ron replied curtly.
"Just because its not in the Daily Prophet doesn't mean its not happening. We learned that lesson last year." Hermione turned to Harry, who was waiting version of what was going on.
"Look Harry, the Order has had new people in almost every day. It seems like more are joining the Order since everyone found out he returned this summer…"
"He returned last summer, Hermione." Harry said growing angry.
"I know that, but it took what happened at the Ministry for Fudge to tell the world. And now everyone can't deny it anymore." She said with a hurt face.
"Sorry, Hermione, I didn't mean it that way."
"I know Harry, as I was saying, the Order is growing, but they are not meeting like they used too. People are there to attend the meetings but the meetings are much shorter. Some are just 5 minutes long."
"Why are they so short?" Harry asked.
"Well, I think there is nothing to report…"
"See," Ron interrupted, "there is nothing going on."
Hermione gave Ron a cold look. He quietly sat down on Harry's bed allowing her to continue.
"There is nothing to report, because most of his main Death Eaters are in Azkaban. But I think Voldemort is buying his time. He is not the type to back down. If he is being quiet he is planning something."
"You could be right Hermione." Harry said, "But what about Snape? I am sure he can get info?"
"Well that’s the thing Harry," Ginny began "Hermione and I think he is out of the loop."
"Ron stood up thinking about what Ginny had just said, "That would make sense." Ron said to his younger sister.
"Why? " asked Harry.
"Snape's has only been in the house for 10 minutes at a time," Ron said to Harry, "He doesn’t even attend the meetings anymore. He talks to Dumbledore privately for about 10 minutes and leaves."
"Yes, Harry," Hermione confirmed, "He looks like how Sirius did, like he is not being useful..."
"Well, he deserves it," Harry snorted, "if it weren't for Snape, Sirius would have not felt that he to rescue me?"
"You know it wasn't like that." Hermione said defending Snape, "Sirius would have gone anyway…"
Ron grabbed Hermione's arm and whispered a "Not now," into her ear. Hermione's eyes began to swell with tears as she looked onto Harry's angered face.
"I'm sorry, Harry" she sniffed, "We miss him too."
"I--I know" Harry said fighting back the tears, "Its just so hard without him."
"Its ok, mate," Ron said as he placed a comforting hand on Harry's shoulder, "we all cried for him."
Ginny stood up and wrapped her arms around Harry's waist allowing him to cry on her shoulder. Hermione quietly wept onto Ron's. After a few minutes, they composed themselves and Ron challenged Harry to a game of Wizards Chess. Ron and Harry played at the foot of Ron's bed as Hermione and Ginny watched.
*******
"Check mate!" Ron yelled a few hours later.
"Well, I lasted longer this time." Harry said attempting not to be totally defeated.
"That’s because you had Hermione and Ginny helping you." Ron gloated, "Hey that means I beat all three of you at once."
Hermione playfully threw a pillow at Ron. Before he could throw one back, Dobby appeared at the doorway.
"Mrs. Weezy told Dobby to tell Harry Potter and his friends that dinner is ready. There are two more Weezys down stairs."
Everyone raced to the dinning room as Dobby hopped happily behind them.
Sitting at the table was Bill Weasley, the Weasley's eldest child. He was wearing a a black leather jacket with a black t-shirt underneath, dark blue jeans and black dragon skinned boots. His hair was twisted into a ponytail and fang earring on his left ear.
Arthur Weasley was heading out of the dinning room as he spotted Harry. "Hullo, Harry" he said with a smile, "how has everyone been treating you?"
"Great , Mr. Weasley, I see that you got your car back," Harry grinned.
"Ah, yes, how does it fly?"
"Great, you really worked the bugs out."
"Oh, Dumbledore helped, he said he liked being under the hood again. I am just dropping by, I have to take the car th Prime Minster's and update him about the status of You-Know-Who. I will see you later Harry. See you kids." With a peck on the cheek for Molly, Mr. Weasley left the room.
Harry and Ron took a seat across from Bill while Molly and the girls sat besides him. Ron, Bill, and Harry chatted about Quidditch while eating their Cornish pasties. After dinner was finished, Molly began to speak.
"Harry your birthday is in a few days, do you want anything in particular?" Molly asked.
"Well, I was thinking that it would be best that I didn't get anything this year," Harry said modestly, "There is nothing I really want."
"Oh, come off it Harry" Ron snorted. "You can't not want anything for your birthday."
"Really, Ron, I don't" Harry protested.
"Well, how about a nice dinner with some friends." Molly asked?
"Umm…"Harry started before being cut off by Ron.
"You got to celebrate Harry," Ron said excitedly, attempting to persuade Harry. "It'll be the first time you got to celebrate your birthday with real family."
"Yeah." Hermione and Ginny chimed
Harry was touched that Ron felt that they were his family. Harry always felt like Ron was the closest person he had to a brother. But he didn't think Ron felt that way, since he had so many of his own. But apparently, Ron did feel the same way.
"Ok, you win." Harry said in a voice mocking defeat.
"Well, its set then." Molly smiled. "We actually already invited people, but I will tell them not to get anything if you really want?"
"Yeah, Mrs. Weasley" Harry replied, "All I want is a nice dinner with family and friends."
Harry and Ron helped Bill clear the table, while Ginny, Hermione, and Molly discussed what Harry's birtday dinner would consist of. Harry heard Hermione say, "Anything but Hagrid's rock cakes" which made Ginny and Mrs. Weasley burst out laughing.
"Hey, Harry" Bill said trying to catch Harry's eye, "I'm sorry but I won’t be there for the dinner. I promised Fleur that I would attend her baby cousin's christening with her. I don't think it will be too long, so I will try to make it later. But I can't promise."
"Oh that’s ok," Harry said with an inquisitive look. "Is this a muggle or a wizard christening?" The question caught Ron, Ginny, and Hermione's ears.
"There is a difference between wizard and muggle christenings?" Hermione asked.
"Duh, Hermione," Ron teased, trying to get a shot at Hermione for not knowing something for once, "I amazed that you didn't read it in Hogwarts: A History."
"I don't see how christening have anything to do with Hogwarts, Ronald Weasley!" Hermione huffed.
"Well, they do," Billed said," somewhat at least. For some families it guarantees you a place at a school, but that can be changed. All the Weasley's had one. "Bill thought for a moment before returning to Harry, "See, Harry, a wizard christening is different from muggles because it is a reenactment of a christening that happened hundreds of years ago, even before Hogwarts was built. Its a lot different now, cause it has changed throughout the years, but all have the 3 blessings and 1 curse...?
What?" Harry said perplexed. "Why would there be a curse during a christening."
Well," Bill began, " the blessings and curse are due to the christening that started the tradition. What I remember of the story was a king and queen had a daughter, and at her christening, three witches gave her blessings. But a fourth dark witch, cursed the baby, because she wasn't invited to the christening. However, this was before the third blessing had been placed. The third blessing countered the curse. I am not sure about the rest of the story but what happens nowadays is that the parents bless the child, the godfather curses the child, and the godmother gives a blessing of protection. Usually the curse is something funny, but if you're from a dark family you could get cursed something awful. But that's usually not the case."
How do you know so much about wizard christenings?" Ron asked not believing what Bill said was correct.
I had one, and I attended all the of my brothers' and sister's christening." Billed said with a wink to Ginny, "Actually, it started to become a bore once they got to yours?"
"Ha ha." Ron said sarcastically.
"How does a christening determine the school you attend?" Harry asked laughing at Ron.
"That's only started a couple hundred years ago." Bill replied. "Old wizarding families started to do it so that their children would have a place at the school their descendants had attended. But there have been plenty of times that the child was later found out to be a squib and not sent to school. It's more for ceremonial purposes.
"What are the blessings and curse?" Hermione asked, now intrigued by the story.
"Well, its different for each family," Bill took a second to think, " but all of the Weasley's had the same. Mum and Dad gave us a blessing of good health and good life. Uncle Andrew, who was all of our godfather, cursed us with Weasley red hair, and Aunt Megan blessed us with manageable hair."
Everyone looked at Hermione before she crossed her arms and gave out a little huff. Ron said that the blessings came true but he thought Uncle Andrew could have cursed them from never getting a bad grade. Hermione then went on for ten minutes about the differences between a curse and a charm. Harry thanked Bill for the answer and began to wonder how his christening went. He also thought of what could Sirius curse be.
Before he could think more about his christening, Molly rushed all of them out of the dinning room and told them to get ready for bed. Harry felt like he was home even though this house was never his, he was with friends that he considered family. That, he thought to himself falling asleep, was all you need to feel at home.